PDA

View Full Version : Things that came out during your childhood that aren't nostalgic?

medacris
10-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Basically, anything you skipped or dismissed during your childhood, something your foreign friends reminisce about that was never released in your country, or something that was popular (a film, TV show, musician, etc.) when you were a child, but weren't old enough to experience until you got older.

I grew up in the 90's, the era of Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarentino, and grunge music. I didn't know what any of these things were until at least the mid-2000's, when I was getting into middle/high school. They never came across my radar at all, nor did I know anything existed outside of it. My parents only listened to 90's country, and my classmates only listened to 90's boy bands, and soft rock covers of Disney songs. Another thing I never heard about until recently was The Raccoons, as well as Cybersix. I assume they were aired in America at some point, I just never came across them.

I knew about things like The Simpsons, South Park, and Beavis & Butthead, as well as Daria, but I wasn't allowed to watch them. My parents had just heard the controversy over SP and B&B, decided that they were all equally profane, and banned them. I was also banned from a lot of video games-- a lot of which were M-rated, which I understood, but also anything my parents deemed "stupid", "a waste of money", or "if your siblings won't play it with you, then you can't get it". I think they were hoping I'd eventually grow tired of animation and video games all together. They were never really into it themselves, so they didn't want me to have an interest in it, either.

As for stuff I skipped, I never watched Helter Skelter. I always skipped Disney's Halloween movies, figuring they were going to be stupid. I was also too stuck in the "it's bad for girls to be girly" mindset to watch Sailor Moon. Nowadays, I'm curious to give them the shot I never did back then. How about you?

Vae
10-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Link to the Past: Never played it until I was 20-something. I just didn't know it existed.

JTHM: Didn't read it until I was 18.

South Park: Didn't get into it until I was 20-something. I saw one episode when I was younger, but I was so young, that I didn't even understand what was going on. And we never had Comedy Central as part of our cable listing.

Super Mario 64: Never got into it.

Spyro: Didn't have a PS1. Never got into it.

Final Fantasy 7 / 8: Didn't have a PS1. Never got into them.

Crash Bandicoot: Never played it.

medacris
10-14-2014, 07:07 AM
I didn't know Jhonen Vasquez had done anything other than Invader Zim until the show had been over for a few years, and I'd actually forgotten about it for awhile. My ex introduced it to me, and it was really the first full (non-manga) comic I'd ever read. I'd been interested in (non-manga) comic books for awhile, but I was mistaken in thinking that they were all superhero comics, with one continuous storyline going back to the 1930's, which was intimidating. Thankfully, that's not the case, and I encourage others to get into comics through indie comics, like I did, because they're a little more newbie-friendly.

I like the earlier Pokémon games, and the franchise in general, but I think some of the best game mechanics and tweaks were introduced in later generations. Stuff like Pokémonamie, the passive abilities, types like Fairy and Dark, etc. I've also only ever played Final Fantasy VII and X. I do admit to having a soft spot for turn-based RPG's. And I'm finally getting into Zelda.

I've seen a couple 80's movies, but almost no sci-fi or horror. I'd like to fix that.

wolf_dude14
10-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Never got Into any kind of japenese cartoons or anime. Like Pokemon and the 50,000 plus other shows, playing card games, video games, toys, ect ect... I watched a few episodes of a couple shows with some friends of mine but I just didnt like it.

medacris
10-16-2014, 04:00 PM
To be fair, anime is much more diverse than just what's aired on television. It might just be that merchandise-driven action cartoons aren't your thing, but that giant robots, horror, or slice-of-life romances suit you better, wolf.

Butterflygoddess
10-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Mario games. Didn't own a nitendo system.

ShadWolf
10-16-2014, 06:43 PM
General pop music, I dismissed liking all these general music's growing up in the 90s, they just didn't seem to interest me, but some music did come to my liking then, some of which was girl bands and some boy bands that were quite popular back then.

I'm sure you've heard of Spice Girls and Eiffel65, they were quite popular and I had friends who were quite into them.

batbot
10-16-2014, 07:15 PM
my classmates only listened to 90's boy bands, and soft rock covers of Disney songs
Hah, that stuff is a lot of what I'm *not* nostalgic for, even as a teen, I'd have friends who I consider to have good taste in music go "god, remember when we all liked Britney Spears and NSync?!" and I'm always thinking "...no?" I remember sitting at recess in elementary school listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the umpteenth time while watching several groups practice dance routines to boyband music for our talent show. I just never had that "phase" because my parents and older brother had distinctly rock tastes (not to say I didn't love dubious acts, though!)

I also see a lot of nostalgia posts about lunch/snack-type candy, like gushers or fruit-roll-ups, which my mom refused to buy, so I had my first gusher when i was like, 16, while nearly everyone I knew grew up with having those snacks.

Any post-NES games. I played a little of my friend's N64, but mostly I just watched her play one-player games. At various points I had NES's in my family and wasted plenty of time with Super Mario and Super Mario 3. Other friends had their SNES or N64's as the defining console of childhood.

The Simpsons when I was veeeerry young, I watched it with my family, but there was a gross-out gag that REALLY FREAKED ME OUT once (Bart threw up a heart) so I was too scared to ever watch it again...until I was a teenager and saw reruns with my friends and was into it. But I missed out on a lot of the "good seasons" while they were airing, so I only have spotty out-of-syndication rerun knowledge.
Likewise, I was too young for Beavis and Butthead but my brother was in the demographic, so sometimes he'd watch it, and I happened to see a kind-of gory episode, and it freaked me out too much to ever be curious about watching it, even as I got older, my mindset has been pretty much "that show is gross". I also started watching South Park much later than everyone I knew because of the same reason.
(the weirder fact is I watched a lot of Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies cartoons, with all those cats getting electrocuted and ducks getting their bills blown off and was totally down with it. There was only one Road Runner cartoon that had a Wile E. squash gag that freaked me out to the point where I'd get nervous at any episode for being "THE episode", but all the other times he falls off cliffs and gets hit by trains? Hee-larious.)

Ruggy
10-16-2014, 07:25 PM
My big one is probably Ren & Stimpy. I saw a few episodes, but eugh, even for an elementary-school kid, it was too gross for my tastes. And I have so many friends who still quote it and I just shrug.

And, uh. Fresh Prince of Bel Air, which I am given to understand is some kind of 'grew up in the 90s' sin to have not watched and absorbed all the lyrics to the theme song. I can't do the Carlton dance either.

WolfNightV4X1
10-17-2014, 12:04 AM
High school musical...I remember being in fifth grade and everyone in my class was drooling over it and I was just 'meh'

Today, the only reason I am 'nostalgic' for it is the stupid tumblr memes that surfaced x3 Good times.

Speaking of memes has anyone seen the parody of troy dancing to the pokemon theme song? That was perfectly in sync lol xD

sassySloth
10-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Zelda games. I'm ashamed to say I didn't play a single one until I was 22 (Link the The Past baybee).

And Donky Kong Games. I never once enjoyed them but my friends ranted and raved about them.

Ruggy
10-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Speaking of video games, Sonic. I never played them as a kid, but my younger brothers were obsessed with the Sonic games and TV series. So Sonic is pretty much the opposite of nostalgic for me, because I grew up associating it with the stink of younger siblings. :U

The hilariously inept fanart I've seen of it as an adult hasn't done much to dissuade me from regarding it with a vague sort of annoyance.

Battlechili1
10-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Crash Bandicoot- I played one of these games as a kid, beat it, and hated it. I still hate it, looking back. (okay, there might be a little nostalgia in there. But honest, I really dislike it despite playing it as a child.
Spyro- Same as Crash.
Gundam- I didn't really watch anything that aired on Toonami back in the day except for Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ, Hamtaro, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
Yugioh- Loved it as a child, but now I hate it. The show, that is. Too much trap card cancelling and the like. I still like the card game tho.
Sonic- Never played it as a child, and when I finally got around to it I hated that I kept running right into enemies, the whole concept of rings being life, etc. Admittedly I did kinda like Shadow the Hedgehog and LOVED what I played of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle though.

DK64 though. @w@
I miss this game so much. And I miss Rare...

Speaking of memes has anyone seen the parody of troy dancing to the pokemon theme song? That was perfectly in sync lol xD
kBNZ2krjPa0

medacris
10-19-2014, 04:00 AM
Hah, that stuff is a lot of what I'm *not* nostalgic for, even as a teen, I'd have friends who I consider to have good taste in music go "god, remember when we all liked Britney Spears and NSync?!" and I'm always thinking "...no?" I remember sitting at recess in elementary school listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the umpteenth time while watching several groups practice dance routines to boyband music for our talent show. I just never had that "phase" because my parents and older brother had distinctly rock tastes (not to say I didn't love dubious acts, though!)

The Simpsons when I was veeeerry young, I watched it with my family, but there was a gross-out gag that REALLY FREAKED ME OUT once (Bart threw up a heart) so I was too scared to ever watch it again...until I was a teenager and saw reruns with my friends and was into it. But I missed out on a lot of the "good seasons" while they were airing, so I only have spotty out-of-syndication rerun knowledge.
Likewise, I was too young for Beavis and Butthead but my brother was in the demographic, so sometimes he'd watch it, and I happened to see a kind-of gory episode, and it freaked me out too much to ever be curious about watching it, even as I got older, my mindset has been pretty much "that show is gross". I also started watching South Park much later than everyone I knew because of the same reason.
(the weirder fact is I watched a lot of Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies cartoons, with all those cats getting electrocuted and ducks getting their bills blown off and was totally down with it. There was only one Road Runner cartoon that had a Wile E. squash gag that freaked me out to the point where I'd get nervous at any episode for being "THE episode", but all the other times he falls off cliffs and gets hit by trains? Hee-larious.)

I didn't like most 90's pop, either, and I didn't really warm to most of today's pop songs, either (with the exception of Disney songs, when it comes to both, but I generally prefer the film version over the pop cover). Rock's always been my favorite, as well. Although I've been branching out into other genres, ones I had previously overlooked, or didn't even know existed, and I've been finding good stuff.

I think what makes Tom and Jerry easier to digest in terms of violence is that it never gets realistic or gory, so despite being more violent than some media, it's more palatable.

Littlerock
11-22-2014, 12:25 AM
All of the things. Well, what I mean to say is that I got my first videogame in 5th grade, and even then I didn't have the opportunity to really get into gaming until highschool... I grew up with PBS, books, and those Skydancer spinning doll toys that got recalled at some point. And Sailor Moon.

Jim
12-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Definitely Pokemon for me. I watched the show but never really got into the card game or gameboy games as much as everyone else did. I think part of it was that my family just simply couldn't afford that kinda stuff.

Now that I'm grown up everyone my age is extremely nostalgic about it and I don't understand half of what they're talking about. Sometimes I try to join in the conversation with my limited knowledge but it's all Gen-1 stuff I learned from the show. I just feel extremely out of the loop with Pokemon stuff, and never had much of a chance to really "catch it" like everyone else did.

Another thing would be the the Youtube famous from the late 90's through the mid-2000's. You know, the kid that made the "hello my future girlfriend" website, Tay Zonday, Numa-Numa kid, Tron guy. Outside of school I didn't have a computer to my own until about 2007, so I just barely missed those e-celebrities from that awkward transition period from turn-of-the-century to the end of the 2000's/start of the 2010's.

And adding on to that, retro PC gaming. I'm obsessed with it, but it's not nostalgia for me, it's more of a historical interest. I just never had the opportunity to experience it back in the day. My first experience with DooM was on a hand-me-down SNES, and I didn't touch Duke Nukem 3D until about two years ago. And now that I have a computer and the internet, I've been trying to find all these old DOS games for the sake of experiencing the bygone era. O: It is neat experiencing these things for the first time though, it's like going back in time for a moment.

Damian
12-02-2014, 11:19 PM
And, uh. Fresh Prince of Bel Air, which I am given to understand is some kind of 'grew up in the 90s' sin to have not watched and absorbed all the lyrics to the theme song. I can't do the Carlton dance either.

Pretty much all of this
(late post w/e)
I've never seen it and never really had the desire to.

TeenageAngst
12-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Pretty much the only reason you need to watch Fresh Prince:

1ZPsfO2I4bo

Rokusho
12-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Only thing that comes to mind is Tomb Raider

I had a go at playing a few off them but never really liked it.

Jim
12-14-2014, 05:54 AM
Tomb Raider was cool back in the day, but it's pretty average now a days. As far as gameplay it's all pretty conventional action/adventure platforming. That said, back in the mid-90's those conventions hardly existed for 3D games, so it was kinda mind-blowing.

I'd say the majority of modern fans of the series are riding nostalgia on that one, since not much has changed outside of graphics and a tiny gimmick or two.

spacerogue
12-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Honestly I'd be quicker off labeling what I find nostalgic so game only.

Any game on any console that is not the Nintendo 8bit, meaning Spyro, Bandicoot, ZELDA, pretty much everything except Tomb Raider1. as that came out on PC as well and I somehow had it.
But I don't find Mario nostalgic one bit, Nintendo might be 'the good guys' in the console world their whole income seems to depend on nostalgia tripping, since I missed that boat well... not much in it for me.

Lyconnus
03-21-2015, 03:22 AM
bubsy.......

akittywithaguitar
03-22-2015, 12:06 AM
Invader Zim. Call it blasphemy, but I hated the show as a kid/teen, and still don't like it.

The two following things are stuff I love, but not because of nostalgia reasons. I didn't discovered the 2nd one until I was 20. :roflmao:

Final Fantasy... anything. I was more into high-paced action games as a kit... Yay terrible attention span! I assumed I wouldn't like turn-based JRPGs as a kit because... slooooow... I finally got the chance to play FF7 a year or so ago since my brother gave me his PSP, which has FF7 loaded on it. I just gotta say that my young self isn't too smart in retrospect. :p Probably one of my favorite games.

Chrono Trigger. Same as above... Didn't think I'd like it since I was an annoying, wee little sh*t. Played this on an emulator for the first time probably 2 - 3 years ago when I was looking for games to play on my crap-tier laptop. It ended up being one of my favorite games, and I'd say is my #1 game to this day. I prefer the battle system over FF's, I like the subtle sense of humor, the time travel aspects, and the soundtrack is just divine.

Gamedog
03-22-2015, 12:19 AM
I never got to experience Wonder Balls :/ I heard they were super rad but.. I don't live in the USA.

akittywithaguitar
03-22-2015, 12:31 AM
That's how we Americans feel about Kinder Surprise. :(

I should have added that to my list as well. I had a few Wonder Balls as a kid, but they were pretty meh. Just a thin shell of chocolate, imagine those easter bunny chocolate shell thingys, with chalky, tart candy. Some people may like that, but I wasn't eager for more when they were still around.

Gamedog
03-22-2015, 12:41 AM
Kinder Egg Surprises are way over-rated. The chocolate is disgusting, nauseating, gross. Go buy a Kinder Bueno bar to see what a Kinder Egg Surprise tastes like.
The toys were fun though.

akittywithaguitar
03-22-2015, 12:48 AM
Huh, well then that sounds like the Wonder Ball, just instead of a neat toy, you get chalky, brittle Sweet Tart wannabe bits.

Glad we both aren't missing out then!

Dragoxicon
03-22-2015, 01:23 AM
Those butterfly hairclips. I would always pinch the hell out of myself or accidentally break them in half and stab myself with the spring.
Wonderballs were foul too but it was kind of exciting to get a sticker out of them sometimes 030

Muscle_Power
03-31-2015, 01:42 PM
Disney's Gargoyles. As a kid it only showed on a channel I had on cable for a short period of time, and even then I kind of didn't want to watch it because they kind of look like demons, nowadays I don't care.

foussiremix
04-06-2015, 05:14 AM
Heman

This was a cartoon series.
I hate it so much.

battybegins
04-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Old sitcoms like Growing Pains, Full House and Rosanne used to bore the shit out of me. Every time they came on it was agony waiting for the next cartoon. Even worse was when shit like Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill started to come out. My older sister would steal the T.V to watch those things while CARTOONS were playing on other channels. OH THE HUMANITY.

(I do love Boy Meets World though- Boy Meets World was my jam.)

Gamedog
04-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Those butterfly hairclips. I would always pinch the hell out of myself or accidentally break them in half and stab myself with the spring.
Those fucking glittery butterfly hairclips
I suffered through many of those at the hands of my sister