PDA

View Full Version : Have a strange habit?

Tipsy
10-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Do you have any insignificant habits that you just can't seem to break? Things you never noticed you did until someone pointed it out to you, or perhaps raised an eyebrow at? I know I can't be the only one! Share your habits and how you think they started!

I have a few that I've recognized, or that people have asked me about:

I have to touch my hand to the corner at the top of the stairs in my house before I round it. I'm not sure where this one came from, but I've only been doing it for the past few years.
I have to put water on my toothbrush before and after I put toothpaste on it. My fiancé is absolutely baffled by this for some reason. I've been doing this since I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure that's just how I was taught. It seems to bind the toothpaste to the bristles better so that your toothpaste doesn't accidentally fall off into the sink, lol.
I lick both sides of chips. This is one I feel really weird about, because I've never heard anyone else admit to doing it. Not sure when it started, but it rewards me with lots of flavor! Lays and Pringles are no match for me! P:

Does anyone here do any of those things, by chance? :'D

One habit I recently broke myself of was removing the tabs off of cans. That one started in fifth grade when my friend was raising money by collecting can tabs to buy her family member a wheelchair. Not sure how that works, but I was a habitual soda drinker, so I always gave her my tabs. I was only able to break the habit because I stopped drinking soda.

Manna
10-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Gingivitis Artefacta (http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v206/n3/full/sj.bdj.2009.55.html)

Tipsy
10-13-2014, 02:42 PM
I've never heard of that, but that doesn't sound like an insignificant habit. That sounds to me like something really serious and terribly painful. If you don't mind my asking, is there something in particular that brings it on? (If this is too touchy a subject, please accept my apologies, and know that I don't expect you to answer if you don't want to! :c)

Hewge
10-13-2014, 07:01 PM
At times, I'm just too Hewge. Some people can't seem to handle it...

Tipsy
10-13-2014, 08:05 PM
At times, I'm just too Hewge. Some people can't seem to handle it...

That's a wonderful habit to have. :'D

wolf_dude14
10-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Iv got a couple. I dont think they are to bad but people have told me they are weird.

I have to go outside to smoke a cigarette after every meal. Couple friends of mine and even one that smokes says im weird. Lol
The outside of my truck gets dirty and I don't mind so much but the inside must stay clean. If my friends all pile in and we go somewhere I wont say anything and I dont mind at all but you bet ill be stopping at a car wash once I drop everyone off just to vacume the carpet.
I also run water over my toothbrush before and after I actually start to brush my teeth. Iv never given that any thought at all but I guess only a couple people do that. For as long as iv been brushing my teeth iv done that. Lol

Dire Newt
10-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Whenever I drink something fizzy, I swish it around in my mouth once before swallowing it.

Moogle
10-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Ah! I do the toothbrush thing! WATER MUST BE ON IT, how can you not?! XD I also tap my finger when I have something in it, like a fork, spoon, pen even a mouse. I've only started to notice it within the last year or two, so maybe it's new. :P The tab habit you mentioned reminded me of how I always open my popcans halfway an suck on it. I've never felt it's weird to do but people around me think it is, ah well. D;

Tipsy
10-14-2014, 09:01 PM
The tab habit you mentioned reminded me of how I always open my popcans halfway an suck on it.

Omg, this is one of the things I used to do when I drank soda, I'd totally forgotten about it. You're not alone! :'D

Antumbra
10-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Whenever I wear a hat I tend to slowly push the bill up throughout the day until it pretty much is sitting on the back of my head. Does that count?

I totally do the toothbrush thing too, but I only wet it first, no water on the toothpaste!

Oh and I pick my scabs. Kinda gross, but I just can't stand to see the blemish. I have to remove it!

piñardilla
10-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Numerical volume controls must be set to a multiple of 2 or 5. I'm not thrilled about anything that has 7 as a factor either.

The exception is that I can listen to classic rock with the radio set to 11, because (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o)

SweetSushi
10-15-2014, 07:43 AM
I have many, one of them is: When I visite other ppl's house and I see the toilet paper pointed the different way. I WILL change it the good way (with the paper falling on front) ^__^

- - - Updated - - -

Numerical volume controls must be set to a multiple of 2 or 5. I'm not thrilled about anything that has 7 as a factor either.

The exception is that I can listen to classic rock with the radio set to 11, because (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o)

I have the same with sewing or anything with numbers. When I make patterns for my sewing work the numbers must have some logical distance, so instead of 39 I will make it 40. Or with buying buttons, I rlly only need 9, but instead I buy 10 cause I like that better ^__^ Nice round up number :3 lol

Tipsy
10-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Man, people keep naming off habits I have that I don't even think about! :'D

I try not to do that, but sometimes I can't help setting the volume in multiples of 5 or 10. My brother is the same way, but he insists on any number that isn't odd. Any number at all, so long as it's not odd. I would love to know the reasoning behind this one. What is it about those numbers that bothers us so much?

sassySloth
10-15-2014, 08:10 PM
I talk to myself more than could be considered normal.

I also must have pens capped/ clicked in when done with them. Drives me crazy when people don't.

LordLauri
10-15-2014, 08:54 PM
I always keep all the pens and pencils pointing the same way in the pencil case. Considering how I place the case on the desk, they're always in the optimal position for me to just grab one and not adjust it too much in my hand anymore. It also drives me crazy when someone borrows a pen from me and then puts it back in the case the wrong way. Good enough reason for me to be reluctant to let people borrow my pens or at least put them back by themselves. It can't be that hard, SHEESH.

I also have very low tolerance for drawers and closet doors that are open just a little bit. It's annoying. If you close them, close them properly dammit.

Aaaand I make stupid faces when I draw. Especially when I'm drawing a certain expression I tend to catch myself having the same expression on my face. :I

piñardilla
10-16-2014, 01:39 AM
I also input cook times on the microwave to minimize finger travel. A minute and a half? No thank you, 88 seconds.

Manna
10-16-2014, 03:26 AM
I've never heard of that, but that doesn't sound like an insignificant habit. That sounds to me like something really serious and terribly painful. If you don't mind my asking, is there something in particular that brings it on? (If this is too touchy a subject, please accept my apologies, and know that I don't expect you to answer if you don't want to! :c)

oh no haha I wouldn't have brought it up if I didn't feel comfy talking about it

It's not as painful as it would seem... from personal experience and from the other people I know who have it, you could describe it as an "almost sexual" pleasure from mutilating your mouth, usually and most potently the gums

It's a surprisingly common mental disorder that's under diagnosed. The article I linked talks about how dentists don't often explore the intersection of mental health and oral hygiene

It's not often "brought up" or triggered in the sense that a panic attack or depressive episode can be triggered. It's more of a constant obsession, idly chewing my lips or flossing my teeth a little too thoroughly. I have a thing of floss sitting at my desk if the urge becomes strong, or I might use the cap of a crystal pen.

I guess it's KIND OF brought up whenever I see pictures of injured mouths. Scraped lips, bleeding teeth, oral surgery. In that sense it's kind of like a smoker seeing someone else light a cigarette, the want is already there but now you've had your attention drawn to it.

It might seem painful but ultimately it's something I enjoy doing. It's a very small amount of pain for the amount of pleasure it gives me. I just have to be careful not to go overboard and end up needing grafts like the girl in the article. My gums are actually receding just a tiny bit so I guess I should probably take a break for a while, haha

SweetSushi
10-16-2014, 04:18 AM
I also input cook times on the microwave to minimize finger travel. A minute and a half? No thank you, 88 seconds.

Well that's just very smart! Never thought about it that way! I guess I am more like it has to be PRECISELY like it said! I am a bit of a perfectionist. So when it says 90 and I like the rounded up number, I do 90. But I can totally understand to do 88 cause its quicker and still a nice number ^_^

MatthewWolfbane
10-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Sometimes, when either nervous or just in need of releasing some energy, I tend to withdraw in a corner and fidget around erratically.
I'm not sure whether that's an odd habit or just something natural, but I think it's weird anyway.

SimoSkunk
10-21-2014, 06:00 PM
In the parking lot at work, all the spaces are numbered, and I only will park in even numbered spots, because I think the odd ones might bring bad luck.

Jim
10-22-2014, 12:51 AM
When I play games on Steam, the logged 'Hours played' HAS to be divisible by either 5 or 2. If I play a game and quit, only to see it record 53 hours playtime, I'll play another hour, even if I don't want to, just to get the numbers more comfy.

I'm the same way about volume too. Especially on computer programs with click and drag volume buttons, I'll sit and fidget with it until it's just right. Can't go forward 'till that happens.