PDA

View Full Version : Video Games with Animal Stars

meroe1313
10-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Just some random rambling about vidja games.

Most games star human playable characters, because... well, obviously humans are more relateable to to the majority of the gaming community. But then you have a few games that use animals, aliens, or other non-human characters for the playable cast. For example: Angry Birds, Sonic the Hedehog, Sly Cooper, the Star Fox series, Spyro the Dragon, the Rampage series, Okami, just to name a few off the top of my head. Then you have games like Skyrim that let you choose your character's race, which sometimes includes non-humans.

Does it matter if the stars are mostly human or not? Do you enjoy games about humans more, or are games with animal stars more memorable and different because they don't use humans as playable characters? Can using animals as playable characters be a bad thing for the game's reputation or reception? If you were making a game with animal characters, what kind of game would you make?

- - - Updated - - -

I think one of the big reasons we don't see more epic AAA games with animal stars is because consumers instantly assume that games with an animal cast have to be for kids, like a cartoon? Which isn't necessarily true. Look at the Conker game for the N64... if you dare. There also could be the stigmas against the furry community factoring in there.

I honestly don't care if the cast is human or otherwise. As long as the characters are fun and the gameplay is solid, I'll enjoy it. I do think that growing up playing Sonic and Spyro made me love animals and fantasy like I do today though.

DrunkCat
10-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Man you missed mentioning Ecco:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Ecco-cover.jpg

Or Agony:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-awkLvLLJy0g/UE8X0IhX3AI/AAAAAAAAWjQ/a9K7v9V8y7c/s1600/Agony_(Amiga)_11.png

I suppose the push for nitty-gritty realism might be part of the blame for the decline in animal protagnists; being realistic sort of precludes bears wielding lasers unless you're playing Red Alert 3. But I tend to avoid the grey filter games anyway so I haven't much noticed. I think the last game I did play with an animal protagonist was in fact Okami so... Yeah.

Tipsy
10-02-2014, 11:03 AM
I have no preference. The most memorable games of my childhood featured mostly animal characters, but the more memorable games I've played through my teenage years and into young adulthood have featured humans as the primary cast. It's not that I'm drawn either way, it just... sort of happened? Whether by the chance that I picked up a game and happened to like it, or by design of me growing up and losing interest in doe-eyed fairytale creatures repeatedly needing to save the world, I'm not sure.

I will, however, have to politely disagree with the point of stigma against furries playing any crucial part in most people's gaming choices. Anymore, it's a delight just to be able to find a good game, regardless of whether or not the playable characters are animals or people. From Spyro to Skyrim, so long as it's good, I will play it. :)

Oly
10-02-2014, 06:20 PM
and what about games where you don't control a character or you play as non-human or even perhaps non-living things?

There's all kinds of games.

DrunkCat
10-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Now if theres a SPACESHIP... @w@

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c7/Ikaruga_cover_DC.jpg

meroe1313
10-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Man you missed mentioning Ecco:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Ecco-cover.jpg

Ah, Ecco! That's a fun one. Difficult in the later levels, especially when Medusa shows up.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Tipsy;72216]The most memorable games of my childhood featured mostly animal characters, but the more memorable games I've played through my teenage years and into young adulthood have featured humans as the primary cast.

Some great points you made. :D I suppose it is easier for animal characters to wind up in games geared toward younger audiences. Doesn't mean older people won't enjoy them, but people's tastes in games do change over time.

- - - Updated - - -

and what about games where you don't control a character or you play as non-human or even perhaps non-living things?

There's all kinds of games.

Indeed, very true. I think that gameplay and atmosphere matter before what race or species or object the gamer plays. But it does effect how deeply players sympathize with the characters, I think. I actually was told by someone that I should "try to make all my characters human" so that it's easier for people to relate to them and understand them. Obviously I don 't believe that, but there is some truth to it.

sassySloth
10-09-2014, 06:01 PM
I think one of the big reasons we don't see more epic AAA games with animal stars is because consumers instantly assume that games with an animal cast have to be for kids, like a cartoon? Which isn't necessarily true. Look at the Conker game for the N64... if you dare. There also could be the stigmas against the furry community factoring in there.Well the 'Furry Age Ghetto' is a thing for sure, but there's also the dismaying dominant trend of "Straight white male" starring in blockbuster games today. Bonus points if he's bald/shaved.

I don't care if a main character is an anthro or not, but obviously, as a furry, I like controlling anthro characters. Alien Soldier is an amazing game, but it's made more awesome, to me, because the main character is a badass eagle-man.

Benny Bunnycorn
10-10-2014, 05:54 PM
People may think it doesn't matter what the star is, but honestly I tend to have more fun playing a game that stars a colorful charming cat or a cool lizard than I do with a dusty brown, personality-less human, but it feels like almost every game these days stars the later. I can still tell the difference between a good game and a bad one, but still, when I like the main character more, I like the game more. ...On the flipside, I tend to strongly dislike games where I end up liking the villains and not the heroes. ...Also seems common to me.

Tipsy
10-13-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't even know who the fuck some of these people are...

I only recognize Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3 (row one, square two), Shep from Mass Effect (row two, square four), and Alec Mason from Red Faction: Guerrilla (row four, square two). I know... I'm a terrible, awful gamer, and I should be ashamed. (But you should definitely play all three of those games if you haven't already! The stories made the games un-put-downable!)

Look at all those scowls and frowns, lol. There's enough stubble in that picture to put a winter coat on a sphynx! :'D

DrunkCat
10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
I never knew they only made 30 video games. How does the industry survive?

Tipsy
10-13-2014, 03:12 PM
There actually IS a good reason why devs go for this look and it's one of the main reasons you don't see many female protags in big budget 3D games (keyword being 3D). It's actually not always about demographics and such or what agenda pushing crybabies want to chalk it up to, laziness. But this picture just serves as a joke really in response to Benny's post.

Ah, okay. I'm curious to know your thoughts, but I feel like I would derail the thread.

But, slightly more on topic... Whether the creator's vision has you playing as a human, an animal, or something in between, I feel that games are just worth enjoying. I try to stay open to all the possibilities, because I might end up finding a wonderful hidden gem of a game in the process. Every person's taste is different, but we broaden our horizons by taking chances, right? c:

DrunkCat
10-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Obv talking about trends in the AAA industry.
Yes. How do they survive only having produced 30 games in 30 years?

Also blame this guy:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/31/article-1262282-08EF91AE000005DC-432_306x423.jpg

Harbinger
10-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Okami?

WolfNightV4X1
10-17-2014, 12:19 AM
SLY COOPER! ^_^

Also, Spyro and I played one I forgot it was something like Ty the tasmanian tiger...I didnt finish it though.

...once we got a neopets game o^o But it was cool the main characters were Lupes and it was fun the main guy wielded a sword and went on an adventure, I regret I didnt at least try to finish it. Could've determined if it was actually good or not.

- - - Updated - - -

---

Regarding the stigma of the furry community, that is unfortunately a factor, producers see a lot of the negativity surfacing around the anthro genre from the internet anf have begun to ignore it. I read that in a post made by comic artist of 'peter and company', he's a cartoonist who has been turned down because his characters were animals.

A recent 'furry' game was Dust: An elysian tail. Many people argued it was furry but the creators themselves said they were not furry.

It really does tick me off when people scream furry at everything with animal characters in it, especially when the artists themselves arent and just want to have a good time making their characters

DrunkCat
10-17-2014, 09:01 AM
This is a game I've always wanted to play:
http://www.wescoregames.com/dynimgs/games/xbox-blinx-the-time-sweeper-classics/blinx_the_time_sweeper_classics_343952.jpg

Benny Bunnycorn
10-18-2014, 10:16 AM
SLY COOPER! ^_^

Also, Spyro and I played one I forgot it was something like Ty the tasmanian tiger...I didnt finish it though.

...once we got a neopets game o^o But it was cool the main characters were Lupes and it was fun the main guy wielded a sword and went on an adventure, I regret I didnt at least try to finish it. Could've determined if it was actually good or not.

- - - Updated - - -

---

Regarding the stigma of the furry community, that is unfortunately a factor, producers see a lot of the negativity surfacing around the anthro genre from the internet anf have begun to ignore it. I read that in a post made by comic artist of 'peter and company', he's a cartoonist who has been turned down because his characters were animals.

A recent 'furry' game was Dust: An elysian tail. Many people argued it was furry but the creators themselves said they were not furry.

It really does tick me off when people scream furry at everything with animal characters in it, especially when the artists themselves arent and just want to have a good time making their characters

And that's why there are so few games I can get hyped up for anymore. Do you think the unneeded disdain towards the furry fandom will ever end, and then we may start seeing more media that has anthro-characters outside of being generic villains for humans?

WolfNightV4X1
10-18-2014, 03:26 PM
And that's why there are so few games I can get hyped up for anymore. Do you think the unneeded disdain towards the furry fandom will ever end, and then we may start seeing more media that has anthro-characters outside of being generic villains for humans?

It'll probably always be looked down upon but it will never go away I can see that much.

It's been around longer than the word 'furry' was coined and It's safe to say it will be around. The furry hate is only a result of people needed to pin a group to hate, that just never stops happening.

Of course, the barely legal subsets of the fandom don't help but that's not going away either so we just have to live with it. At the very least though I'd hope people stop hating a nonsexual furry thing for NO reason other than it being human/animal characters.

Tipsy
10-19-2014, 11:58 AM
It basically boils down to being less expensive.

Thank you. I had a feeling it was heavily dependent on expenses. A very informative post, and I couldn't agree more with your point about the alleging of oppression. The idea that furries are stigmatized to the point of "oppression" is absurd, and I feel that it speaks volumes of the accuser's lack of understanding of what it is to actually be oppressed.

Nekrahn
10-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Dillon's Rolling Western is 100% animal characters.

WolfNightV4X1
10-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Thank you. I had a feeling it was heavily dependent on expenses. A very informative post, and I couldn't agree more with your point about the alleging of oppression. The idea that furries are stigmatized to the point of "oppression" is absurd, and I feel that it speaks volumes of the accuser's lack of understanding of what it is to actually be oppressed.

Maybe not oppression but the mindset does hurt the industry of gamemakers or comic artists who have animal characters in mind. If I could find that link I'll link it here...

Benny Bunnycorn
10-19-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't see why anthro-related work wouldn't completely work, though. There is a market for it: not just for Furries, but for people who aren't as close minded.

Benny Bunnycorn
10-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't think it's small enough that there should be almost nothing but games staring humans, especially overly serious ones with no real personality visually or socially. I know we all are human, but that's part of the reason I don't like playing as them. I can be human all I want in real life. :P

Benny Bunnycorn
10-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Even if furries are a minority, I still would think there'd be enough of them to show them SOME love in forms of media other than just cartoons and cartoon movies. I mean, even if we're not a big enough fanbase to warrant a game with nothing but anthros we should at LEAST be big enough to warrant games that have anthro playable options. ...Or at the very least non-human ones in general that aren't just humanoids like elves and vampires and such.

Cause like I said, anthros may not make a game fun, but they can often make a game MORE fun, especially if those are your interests. (And assuming the game is fun to begin with)

While Benny and others with the same mindset pretend there's some conspiracy to "oppress" furfags,

1: I never said that.
2: NEVER use the term furfag. It's not a joke or a friendly nickname, it's insulting and offensive.

Tipsy
10-20-2014, 12:58 PM
It can and has worked. But the market for it is small now if there even is one at all. Frankly, whatever demand for it is irrelevant.

Fantastic point. I feel that some folks delude themselves into thinking that simply because they surround themselves with the demographic most likely to play a certain kind of game, it means that any such produced game targeting their demographic would yield a sustainable level of demand. Popular titles are often expensive to produce, and require a large potential consumer base to turn a profit.

What some don't seem to remember is that market demands for entertainment products fluctuate with cultural trend changes. Consumers are influenced by popular culture, generational ideas and phenomena, among a great many other things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that there were more popular games through the 90's and early 2000's that featured playable animal characters, than there are now. Today's popular titles seem to be trending toward people as the playable cast. Did we perhaps already live the era of the (for lack of a better term) animal game?

(Unrelated, but does Weasyl have the mention feature enabled? 'Cause I'd like to know what my favorite furfag, @MatthewWolfbane (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/member.php?7119-MatthewWolfbane), thinks about all this. P:)

MatthewWolfbane
10-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Fantastic point. I feel that some folks delude themselves into thinking that simply because they surround themselves with the demographic most likely to play a certain kind of game, it means that any such produced game targeting their demographic would yield a sustainable level of demand. Popular titles are often expensive to produce, and require a large potential consumer base to turn a profit.

What some don't seem to remember is that market demands for entertainment products fluctuate with cultural trend changes. Consumers are influenced by popular culture, generational ideas and phenomena, among a great many other things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that there were more popular games through the 90's and early 2000's that featured playable animal characters, than there are now. Today's popular titles seem to be trending toward people as the playable cast. Did we perhaps already live the era of the (for lack of a better term) animal game?

(Unrelated, but does Weasyl have the mention feature enabled? 'Cause I'd like to know what my favorite furfag, @MatthewWolfbane (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/member.php?7119-MatthewWolfbane), thinks about all this. P:)

In the current world of video games, if it's not there, someone else can make it.
If you want to see anthro/furry games happen, I'm sure someone can demand it; but for a major studio like Electronic Arts or Activision to take it on, it would need to be extremely popular for that to happen, and not just something a fringe group would buy.
Still, the world of independent video game development could be a key to this little quandary; many young talents can be found these days founding small studios, and sometimes these independents can end up making it big.

I believe, though, that mainstream game developers these days seem to be more about making games more akin to movies, trying to be as "gritty", "dark", "grimdark" and "realistic" as possible with cutscenes involving lengthy amounts of bullshit amounting to the storytelling.

If you look at the era where games like Spyro the Dragon, Sonic the Hedgehog, Banjo Kazooie, StarFox, Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter could reach popularity, I'm pretty sure you'd find an entirely different mindset there.
Back then, games weren't just about dark graphics (although there were some classics in that genre) and simplified quick time events, they were also in general much more colourful and flexible in terms of both graphics and cast.

Entirely different mindsets, when popularized, tend to change the big picture entirely and I believe this might be at least an influence on the way anthro/furry/cartoon animal characters seem to have gradually faded away from the scene since.
Nowadays, the badass military hero seems to prevail mostly.

Not sure if that made a lot of sense, but that's my thought on the matter.

Benny Bunnycorn
10-20-2014, 05:16 PM
In the current world of video games, if it's not there, someone else can make it.
If you want to see anthro/furry games happen, I'm sure someone can demand it; but for a major studio like Electronic Arts or Activision to take it on, it would need to be extremely popular for that to happen, and not just something a fringe group would buy.
Still, the world of independent video game development could be a key to this little quandary; many young talents can be found these days founding small studios, and sometimes these independents can end up making it big.

I believe, though, that mainstream game developers these days seem to be more about making games more akin to movies, trying to be as "gritty", "dark", "grimdark" and "realistic" as possible with cutscenes involving lengthy amounts of bullshit amounting to the storytelling.

If you look at the era where games like Spyro the Dragon, Sonic the Hedgehog, Banjo Kazooie, StarFox, Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter could reach popularity, I'm pretty sure you'd find an entirely different mindset there.
Back then, games weren't just about dark graphics (although there were some classics in that genre) and simplified quick time events, they were also in general much more colourful and flexible in terms of both graphics and cast.

Entirely different mindsets, when popularized, tend to change the big picture entirely and I believe this might be at least an influence on the way anthro/furry/cartoon animal characters seem to have gradually faded away from the scene since.
Nowadays, the badass military hero seems to prevail mostly.

Not sure if that made a lot of sense, but that's my thought on the matter.

While not technically a furry game, Skylanders has a lot of anthro characters in them. Also, Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock has an anthro character in the form of Warrior Umlaut, so yeah I wouldn't add Activision to that list.

I really miss when games didn't have to be dark and gritty and actually had color and whimsy and likeable characters instead of just a bunch of generic faces. I hope some day the dark and gritty fad dies and we start seeing more whimsy in the games.

no
Have some cake
http://testyourmight.com/attachments/its-not-that-serious-jpg.4921/

I'll say what I want. Don't tell me what to do.

But anyway, your best bet would be Nintendo and indies. If you're looking for Rockstar, Activision, Ubisoft, Sony, or other massive studios to cater to the needs of the irrelevant in their eyes, you're out of luck unfortunately. It would probably be some side thing.

Skylanders.

Also, yes it IS seriously offensive. I would appreciate it if you refrained from using the term.

I'm dead serious by the way. You wouldn't call an African American the N word, would you? Inb4 "OMG ITS NAT AKIN TO CALLING BLACKS DA N WORD" despite the fact it totally is. Just because furries are a fandom and not a race doesn't make it any less offensive.

WolfNightV4X1
10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I dunno man...we like to poke fun at these stupid stereotypes all the time, if you havent noticed the black people call each other nigga all the time it's a community thing. Plenty of furries call each other 'the f word' (since you dont like it) and its in a friendly since of camraderie.

I understand if you dont like it and maybe just ask politely that people dont use it with you but at least compromise and let people use words amongst themselves as they see fit. Especially , for example, if two furs were standing a little aways and were to call each other furfags in jest, and then you showed up and yelled at them for it.

Just pick your battles elsewhere...

Benny Bunnycorn
10-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Some people have lots of self respect, some have less. But that's not the topic, so I'd rather just leave it at that.

I do notice that games like DotA and LoL have anthro characters in them, but also humans. Elder Scrolls does as well. Concerning something I said earlier, what if there were more games like those that let you choose between a dark and gritty human or an anthro? It wouldn't alienate the majority while still pleasing some of the minority, and if done right can even avoid having the furry card thrown around. I tend to notice less negativity towards anthro characters in games if they're not so whimsical and are more serious.

DrunkCat
10-21-2014, 09:13 AM
I hope some day the dark and gritty fad dies and we start seeing more whimsy in the games.

You'll have to wait till my generation is dead or becomes too old to be considered a demographic. I thought about it when @MatthewWolfbane brought up the fact that gaming use to be quite colorful. As the children of the 90s aged so too did the games. Most of those kids now are heading into their late 20s and while a game like Star Fox was their favorite back them, most of them now have "grown up" (and arguably sterilized) taste. As kids anything and everything was on the table, this game has you playing a Frisbee? Awesome. This game makes you burn things as a dragon? Cool beans. I'm a walking sharp witted gecko? Fuck yeah. Most adults however lose this and end up bolstering a more narrower imagination set mainly consisting of zombies and brown palettes. Gaming was suppose to be an art form by now, protected from the same monotone brush that has painted TV and Hollywood for decades; instead it now has more similarities with movies than books.

Tipsy
10-21-2014, 09:40 AM

Agreed. I wouldn't depend on major studios to produce a purely furry-centric game, because, as was previously mentioned, the demand just isn't there.

And with self-publishing becoming easier, if some folks with the initiative took up the task, the indie industry could fill in the blanks and even set some new trends. Of course, the likelihood of an indie studio producing a game with AAA graphics is unfortunately slim, which may alienate people who (Heaven knows why) base their purchases solely on graphic quality. Demand is also still a deciding factor. Maybe with enough advertising in all the right places, it wouldn't be too far out of reach... At least, not for an indie studio.

Most of us are content with sitting idly, wishing for something else to happen, but it's really a matter of someone just doing it. If you want it badly enough, you can learn programming and development, put together a team, and make it a reality yourself.

You wouldn't call an African American the N word, would you? Inb4 "OMG ITS NAT AKIN TO CALLING BLACKS DA N WORD" despite the fact it totally is. Just because furries are a fandom and not a race doesn't make it any less offensive.

http://s27.postimg.org/xiv7x05sz/Stop_2.png

Being offended doesn't make you right. You pulled this same "don't use that mean word" stunt at FurAffinity before you were banned. It was a joke then, and it's a joke now. Furries are not an oppressed or marginalized group. Do not compare dehumanizing and degrading legitimately marginalized people to friendly name-calling.

Benny Bunnycorn
10-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Being offended doesn't make you right. You pulled this same "don't use that mean word" stunt at FurAffinity before you were banned. It was a joke then, and it's a joke now. Furries are not an oppressed or marginalized group. Do not compare dehumanizing and degrading legitimately marginalized people to friendly name-calling.

Fine, I won't. I'll compare dehumanizing and degrading legitimately marginalized people to dehumanizing and degrading legitimately marginalized people, which is EXACTLY what saying "furfag" is. And YES we are. Stop pretending it's no big deal and face the facts asshole. But like I said, that's not the topic. Move on.

You'll have to wait till my generation is dead or becomes too old to be considered a demographic. I thought about it when @MatthewWolfbane brought up the fact that gaming use to be quite colorful. As the children of the 90s aged so too did the games. Most of those kids now are heading into their late 20s and while a game like Star Fox was their favorite back them, most of them now have "grown up" (and arguably sterilized) taste. As kids anything and everything was on the table, this game has you playing a Frisbee? Awesome. This game makes you burn things as a dragon? Cool beans. I'm a walking sharp witted gecko? Fuck yeah. Most adults however lose this and end up bolstering a more narrower imagination set mainly consisting of zombies and brown palettes. Gaming was suppose to be an art form by now, protected from the same monotone brush that has painted TV and Hollywood for decades; instead it now has more similarities with movies than books.

I do notice the same thing in movies. While a nice anthro animated cartoon movie can still do well, a lot of the movies are just like games: Dark, gritty, and for the most part incredibly generic. But like movies, there are often games that do stand out among the crowd. Sadly, they seem to be few and far between.

DrunkCat
10-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Being offended doesn't make you right.

This needs to be framed and sold as posters.

Also don't let my prose fool you, there were plenty of brown-hued games during the 90s; Quake and Doom being ridiculous popular as well as all its clones (though still not as gritty as modern games I suppose). However it wasn't as overbearing back then because the crowd for them (80s kids) were much smaller so it allowed for a greater mix in choices. You could find just as many copies of Harvest Moon as you would find NBA Jam.

Benny Bunnycorn
10-21-2014, 06:37 PM
I think my biggest problem with "furfag" is that you act like it's no big deal to call someone a seriously offensive word. "Oh, we're just joking around, no big deal." Yes, big deal. You may not think so because, maybe, you don't hang out with REAL furries that often, so it's alright for pretend furries to call other pretend furries "furfag." Tell that to a real furry, and they will NOT take it lightly at all.

Also don't let my prose fool you, there were plenty of brown-hued games during the 90s; Quake and Doom being ridiculous popular as well as all its clones (though still not as gritty as modern games I suppose). However it wasn't as overbearing back then because the crowd for them (80s kids) were much smaller so it allowed for a greater mix in choices. You could find just as many copies of Harvest Moon as you would find NBA Jam.

I don't know if people actually buy Nintendo games as much as they used to, but I do know that for the most part they're still well liked these days. Whether Nintendo makes anthro games or not (which they generally don't except for a few cases like Star Fox), do you think Nintendo is carving a niche for itself and those who prefer more whimsical and colorful games? Then again, Wii U and 3DS haven't been as successful as its past consoles. If Nintendo ends, will whimsical games pretty much die with it? ...And pretty much video games in general?

Noxid
10-21-2014, 06:50 PM
I think my biggest problem with "furfag" is that you act like it's no big deal to call someone a seriously offensive word. "Oh, we're just joking around, no big deal." Yes, big deal. You may not think so because, maybe, you don't hang out with REAL furries that often, so it's alright for pretend furries to call other pretend furries "furfag." Tell that to a real furry, and they will NOT take it lightly at all.

I'm sorry I feel bad contributing to this but I've actually never heard the word furfag be used by anyone other than actual real-life furries
unless you're suggestion is that my friends are all poseurs for some reason

Benny Bunnycorn
10-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Okay, I'm done. Any more discussion on that matter, just put it in my VM and we'll talk about it there. I know WE shouldn't be clogging the topic up with it, but we keep doing it anyway, so if you REALLY need to talk about it, talk about it in VM.

Tipsy
10-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Wii U is the crap console that's failing. As for video games dying off if Nintendo does, LMAO!!! I honestly highly doubt it. The hundreds of indie games that outnumber and outclass Nintendo games today? The huge studios raking in more profits annually than Nintendo games pull in as a whole? Steam alone has 100 MILLION active accounts. And the fact that the Wii U is an irrelevant joke, a pitiful laughing stock among developers and consumers in the same corner as the XBox One, I don't think the entity that is the gaming industry would be crippled for long if Nintendo closed shop.

I've never understood the hype surrounding the Wii U. Awful games, awful console. I feel that Nintendo's best performing market has always been handhelds, though I will gleefully admit that the Gamecube was an absolute joy. I still have mine! If, however, Nintendo would make an open-world, super-detailed Pokemon fighting RPG for console, I might be willing to change my tune about the Wii U... But we know that will never happen. CRYING FOREVER. :'c

Nintendo has other anthro games aside from Starfox (which another one is in development).

Too bad it'll be on the Wii U, because I really enjoy Starfox. I loved Adventures on the Gamecube, even if it was a little tough for me at the time.

WolfNightV4X1
10-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Playstation has always been my favorite hands down...although I've only owned a PS1 and PS2, but I still had tons of fun with sonic heroes and the sly cooper series. I will never get over that.

As far as super mario goes, I still think bowser is kick ass!

Okay, I'm done. Any more discussion on that matter, just put it in my VM and we'll talk about it there. I know WE shouldn't be clogging the topic up with it, but we keep doing it anyway, so if you REALLY need to talk about it, talk about it in VM.

^^^Yeah, he's right. Just drop the subject I'd hate to see people get banned for arguing.

And at least compromise if you're going to use the word don't use it around people who take offense, simple as that

Benny Bunnycorn
10-22-2014, 08:59 AM
3DS is massively successful with an install base of 45 million or so. Wii U is the crap console that's failing. As for video games dying off if Nintendo does, LMAO!!! I honestly highly doubt it. The hundreds of indie games that outnumber and outclass Nintendo games today? The huge studios raking in more profits annually than Nintendo games pull in as a whole? Steam alone has 100 MILLION active accounts. And the fact that the Wii U is an irrelevant joke, a pitiful laughing stock among developers and consumers in the same corner as the XBox One, I don't think the entity that is the gaming industry would be crippled for long if Nintendo closed shop.

There's this weird myth that Nintendo saved the industry in the 80's and so we owe them for PC, Playstation, XBox, Sega, and other game related jazz. But its false. After the US console crash, gaming was still going strong before Nintendo showed up with the NES (Famicom was out in this time), especially in Japan and Europe. If it was fine then, it would certainly be fine now being a multibillion dollar industry and all. We get shitloads of creative quirky and colorful titles year round I could easily list that Nintendo deserves no credit for. I see no reason why that'd stop. Sure, it might be kinda sad that this archaic company is gone, but that's about it.

For the sake of relevance. Nintendo has other anthro games aside from Starfox (which another one is in development). Donkey Kong's been strong lately Dillon's Rolling Western was a cool tower defense title. Those are off the top of my head anyway...
I seriously think Dillon needs a sequel on the Wii U. The 3DS didn't do the concept justice, but it's a great start.

I suppose what would be more fair to say is "Whimsy" in video games. While there ARE whimsical video games coming out from other companies, Nintendo's the main dispenser of those kind of games. If Nintendo ends up dying, how would that effect the rest of videogames, I guess is what I meant to say, but you kind of answered that in your post.

DrunkCat
10-22-2014, 11:36 AM
There's this weird myth that Nintendo saved the industry in the 80's and so we owe them for PC, Playstation, XBox, Sega, and other game related jazz. But its false.

So the hundreds of articles, documentaries and archived news-clippings are all faked? I never heard of anyone owing them for the PC as a PC isn't a home console (and technically speaking the PC is what gave birth to home consoles so it would quite literally be the other way around).

Europe and Japan having a strong gaming base was irrelevant when the power house of gaming was stationed in the US. In fact, Japan dominance of the industry was directly due to this "myth" of the video game crash of 1983. This is why Bill Gates had a racist hard-on in the late 90s to "bring gaming back to the US" with the development of DirectX and its eventual evolution as the X-Box (dubbed the Manhattan Project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#Logos) [and later Midway for the xbox] for obvious reasons).

This "myth" is also greatly at fault for creating the gender lines we see today. Boys were/are considered a safer financial bet than girls and hence anything 'computer' was heavily marketed as a boy toy like if it were a Tonka truck. And if you think "oh man lol comparing it to an actual toy", well, that's exactly how Nintendo saved gaming. Nintendo did not sell a video game console, they sold a robot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.O.B.) that so happened to come with a game console. Toy stores saw consoles as "yet another trend" like how Pogs and Tamagotchi would later become so they didn't feel like wasting valuable shelf space on them.

So yeah, go ahead and white wash this pinnacle moment in video game history. It's not like it's had any sort of impact on the culture to date.

Tipsy
10-22-2014, 02:02 PM
The only hype you'll see about the Wii U is from the fleeting fanbase of Nintendo diehards. Developers have actively come out against the Wii U. It sells horrendously. And even Satoru Iwata blatantly called it a failure compared to the Wii (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-we-have-failed-to-establish-wii-u-as-a-worthy-wii-successor/1100-6415888/).

Wow, I didn't know they said that about their own product. With as much as I hear the praises of the Wii U, I must know a lot of those people. All I feel is shame. :c

TyVulpintaur
I don't know if people actually buy Nintendo games as much as they used to, but I do know that for the most part they're still well liked these days. Whether Nintendo makes anthro games or not (which they generally don't except for a few cases like Star Fox), do you think Nintendo is carving a niche for itself and those who prefer more whimsical and colorful games? Then again, Wii U and 3DS haven't been as successful as its past consoles. If Nintendo ends, will whimsical games pretty much die with it? ...And pretty much video games in general?

I point you to all the whimiscal/colorful games on the XBrick One and the PS3/4. It isn't just Nintendo, as much as the PS fanboys and XBrick fanboys want people to believe. Nintendo wants to make games the whole family will play, not just big brother or big sister.

DrunkCat
Nintendo's a huge influence sure, but all they did was save the US console market.

all they did was save the US console market.

save the US console market.

Europe and Japan having a strong gaming base was irrelevant when the power house of gaming was stationed in the US. In fact, Japan dominance of the industry was directly due to this "myth" of the video game crash of 1983.
You literally read nothing in my post did you?

DrunkCat
10-23-2014, 09:16 AM
it seems like on forums ANY time someone makes a counter point, they're met with "You missed my point" or "you didn't read anything".

Yes I admit, I didn't read your entire post.

I don't even.

Benny Bunnycorn
12-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Has anyone ever heard of Vainglory? I don't know much about it, but there was a commercial for some tablet device or something or other that showed two people playing the game, and it seemed to have quite a few anthro character in. I don't know much about it, but it looks pretty cool. But because it doesn't star those oh-so awesome human creatures, it's probably not. What I'd do for a really good modern game with anthros in them though.

Moogle
12-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Aw no ones mentioned Klonoa.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Klonoa.png

All I had was a jampack with like 15 mins of gameplay, an lemme tell you I played that thing till its death. I now own the wii version, though it's just not the same. T_T

dirtypaws
01-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Does Morenatsu count? Morenatsu should count.

LauriJ
01-04-2015, 02:18 PM
You want a game starring anthro characters? Go ahead make your own. Surely it can't be that hard, yes?