PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 o.o

Takaia
10-01-2014, 01:48 PM
So apparently they're completely skipping windows 9 and going on to windows 10... unless Windows 8.1 actually counts as windows 9. But they're letting anyone be testers for it now! I'm not quite tech savvy enough to test it out, but has anyone else tried Windows 10?

heres's a video about it: http://youtu.be/84NI5fjTfpQ

Noxid
10-01-2014, 05:59 PM
I'm too lazy to try it, but a friend of mine did.

[05:48.17] <R> So, after two minutes of playing with the Windows 10tech preview, I have come to a conclusion
[05:48.49] <R> It's basicly what they said Windows 8 would be
[05:50.04] <R> Stability issues notwistanding (and the software running
the VM doesn't support 10, so it's debatable how much it's Microsoft's
fault) the interface is nice
[05:50.20] <R> Also now ctrl^v works on the command line
[05:50.26] <R> Which is really overdue

[05:51.05] <R> But ya, it keeps the stuff I like about Windows 8 and gets rid of some dumb design decisions
[05:51.30] <R> Also you can revert all the changes and keep using it like if it was Windows 8 if you are on a tablet :P

also I just saw this, thought it was pretty funny if it turns out to be true
http://i.imgur.com/p7eQQK3.png

a moment of silence for legacy code and those that work with it ( -_-)7

Takaia
10-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Haha I see that makes sense why they're doing 10 then even though that may have been a poor coding choice it's good that Windows decided to work around it and avoid any issues. It's interesting to know that, thanks!

DrunkCat
10-01-2014, 09:48 PM
You could always paste into the command line by right clicking, it was just kinda clunky how clipboard worked.

ShadWolf
10-02-2014, 07:48 AM
I don't particularly like the look of Windows 10, it still carries that same flat toony look about it from Windows 8, I can't truly see Windows 10 as a modern kind of system. Oh but what's this? Start Button added back in? yeah that's cool and all, but I'm still not convinced it's gonna be any better, because you'll still have to deal with WGA which is a waste of time, why should you have to validate Windows when you've already purchased it? isn't that not valid enough? Then they wonder why people pirate and modify Windows to strip all that crap out of the systems they built.

as for the copy+paste thing with the command line doesn't Ctrl+Shift+V not work for pasting?

Noxid
10-02-2014, 08:24 AM
I don't particularly like the look of Windows 10, it still carries that same flat toony look about it from Windows 8, I can't truly see Windows 10 as a modern kind of system.
TEIO, but I prefer the flat look myself. I thought Aero was a bunch of glassy crap. I'm glad we've got a nice clean, simple frame style.

as for the copy+paste thing with the command line doesn't Ctrl+Shift+V not work for pasting?
Nope. DrunkCat is right though, and navigating a right-click menu for copy-paste is not something I enjoy.

as far as WGA, well, digital rights management is a whole different kettle of fish but I don't remember having any problems with it anytime I've legally acquired the software?

ShadWolf
10-02-2014, 09:26 PM
TEIO, but I prefer the flat look myself. I thought Aero was a bunch of glassy crap. I'm glad we've got a nice clean, simple frame style.

Nope. DrunkCat is right though, and navigating a right-click menu for copy-paste is not something I enjoy.

as far as WGA, well, digital rights management is a whole different kettle of fish but I don't remember having any problems with it anytime I've legally acquired the software?

The thing that puts me off is the fact that the buttons and window frames look too big, I know if it were on huge screens that are 34" it wouldn't look so bad, but for smaller screens it looks pretty crammed together with no space to do anything.

When I tried Windows 8 I immediately didn't like it. Why? because all the customizing and other stuff were locked because you have to do that stupid WGA crap before using it, and I find that a waste of time having to validate the OS with a key when you've already bought it on a system that had it pre-installed or purchased directly from Microsoft or another retailer.

DrunkCat
10-03-2014, 09:22 AM
That's actually mildly amusing to hear, I got my Win8 copy through the upgrade program for around $20 using a questionable Win7 install and have never had a problem.

Punkpooch
10-04-2014, 01:13 PM
10 looks awful along with windows 8/8.1/etc period. i honestly feel bad for people that own it unless you enjoy it then i guess...??
They literally just shoved a tablet interface onto a computer and gave it secure boot so you can't replace the os. Its garbage tbh

piņardilla
10-04-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm too lazy to try it, but a friend of mine did.

also I just saw this, thought it was pretty funny if it turns out to be true
http://i.imgur.com/p7eQQK3.png

a moment of silence for legacy code and those that work with it ( -_-)7

Hilariously plausible.

DrunkCat
10-06-2014, 09:20 AM
They literally just shoved a tablet interface onto a computer and gave it secure boot so you can't replace the os.

Neither of this is actually true.

ShadWolf
10-06-2014, 10:49 AM
10 looks awful along with windows 8/8.1/etc period. i honestly feel bad for people that own it unless you enjoy it then i guess...??
They literally just shoved a tablet interface onto a computer and gave it secure boot so you can't replace the os. Its garbage tbh

You can replace the OS, it's called formatting the volume partition and then creating a new one so you can install something else. You are entitled to run anything on your system as you see fit, even running a completely different OS of your choosing.

Catweasel
10-17-2014, 04:39 AM
It seems incredibly weird to me that people would willingly install the Windows 10 beta, especially considering that it means consenting to Microsoft keylogging you and collecting all the info on you they want, which they claim they do right out in the open in their privacy statement. At least they're upfront about it, but still, who actually feels ok about being keylogged by Microsoft?

ShadWolf
10-17-2014, 09:34 AM
It seems incredibly weird to me that people would willingly install the Windows 10 beta, especially considering that it means consenting to Microsoft keylogging you and collecting all the info on you they want, which they claim they do right out in the open in their privacy statement. At least they're upfront about it, but still, who actually feels ok about being keylogged by Microsoft?

Its more or less about the people being the first to test try the new system out to see what it has to offer. Me personally I wouldn't opt to use such a system which keylogs your activity. I would opt to wait for someone to make a modified copy of it thats been stripped of Microsoft's bloatware crap before I use it.

babymonkey
10-18-2014, 03:57 PM
I would try it on a test pc to see how the new OS is but I would never do any real work on it.