PDA

View Full Version : Spiders n' Bugs?

Jim
09-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Anyone else here study arthropods or collect bugs/spiders? Got any favorite exoskeletonized critters? <:

My favorite are spiders, especially orb weavers and jumping spiders. I don't have a collection anymore but I do still like to pick up neat arachnids I find and check 'em out. I'd like to get a tarantula sometime soon. :3

FUN FACT: Bug collecting was the inspiration for Pokemon, as the creator collected bugs when he was a kid.

Gamedog
09-02-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't know enough about spiders to be able to raise them in captivity, but I do have many random spiders in my house :) The other day I found baby jumping spiders crawling in my bed.

Onnes
09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
I identify North American spiders as a hobby. I also do bug photography; however, that hasn't been very exciting ever since I moved north. Picking a spider off the ground and describing it makes for a good party trick, especially if that party is filled with arachnophobes.

sassySloth
09-04-2014, 05:43 PM
My interactions with bugs revolve around the cockroaches in my apartment. They're pretty cool, but not when they are on my bed (Actually happened once :cry: )

Jim
09-05-2014, 05:47 PM
I identify North American spiders as a hobby. I also do bug photography; however, that hasn't been very exciting ever since I moved north. Picking a spider off the ground and describing it makes for a good party trick, especially if that party is filled with arachnophobes.

Haha YES.

I just love getting reactions from arachnophobes. X3 Maybe I'm evil, I dunno.

"HAY LOOKIT THIS COOL SPIDER I FOUND"

"GUH NO PLZ ;w;"

Tapeworm
09-11-2014, 06:16 PM
I usually find moths and beetles, we don't have any very interesting ones other than a kind of jewel beetle and the Polyphemus moth, I have one of the moths. I used to catch house spiders and keep them in jars, fed them bugs I found until they eventually died, then I'd put them in resin.

I also have a few live things, a couple of hissing cockroaches named Radius and Ulna and a rose hair tarantula named Sayru.

Jim
09-15-2014, 11:10 AM
I usually find moths and beetles, we don't have any very interesting ones other than a kind of jewel beetle and the Polyphemus moth, I have one of the moths. I used to catch house spiders and keep them in jars, fed them bugs I found until they eventually died, then I'd put them in resin.

I also have a few live things, a couple of hissing cockroaches named Radius and Ulna and a rose hair tarantula named Sayru.

I feel you on the lack of interesting stuff. Here in Western NC we have a few neat bugs but I find in my area the large majority of arachnids are the same species of orb weaver, with a decent population of wolf spiders. Occassionally I find a nice widow here and there, and if I look there's some Phidippus jumpers. But that's about it. I wish we had more Argiopes around here, they're so purty and probably my fave spiders. ;w;

Dude HISSIN' ROACHES are so cute. <:

I always thought it'd be cool to get one of those hueg roaches from Australia, I think they're just called giant burrowing cockroaches.

Rosies are nice, though. I myself have been wanting a G. Pulchripes.

Pacific Autumn
09-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Ah! There are so many neat bugs here in Maryland. I never really collect them though, I mostly like to just sit quietly and watch them do their own thing in the woods. I do have a friend or two that collects! I thought it was funny to see this today as there was a big spindley brown spider hanging from a lamp in my staircase. I had to squeeze by her after coming home from the store and just started apologizing and yelling "EXCUSE ME, MISS. EXCUSE ME!!!" I didn't want to bother her. ;3; although it was a pretty odd spot to be in...

Also forgot to mention but I love praying mantis. I just can't get enough of them they are so pretty.

- - - Updated - - -

Omg, I completely understand. I've walked into cockroach parties before. (Luckily outdoors but still alarming)

Gamedog
09-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Learned about an awesome tarantula today called the Orange Baboon Tarantula. Bites first, asks questions later, and also "hisses" by rubbing it's furry legs together.

Onnes
09-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Learned about an awesome tarantula today called the Orange Baboon Tarantula. Bites first, asks questions later, and also "hisses" by rubbing it's furry legs together.

Those have the nickname "Orange Bitey Thing" for a reason, and their bite is also supposedly quite painful even by tarantula standards. OBTs have to be one of the more hilarious things people actually try to keep as pets.

Jim
09-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I thought it was funny to see this today as there was a big spindley brown spider hanging from a lamp in my staircase. I had to squeeze by her after coming home from the store and just started apologizing and yelling "EXCUSE ME, MISS. EXCUSE ME!!!" I didn't want to bother her. ;3; although it was a pretty odd spot to be in...

Dude! I have a similar thing going on with the front door to my apartment! O: A little spider has made her web right in the corner and I have to duck past it every day! It's nice coming home and seeing her hangin' out after work. <: Such a cutie-pants.

NovaCaine
09-22-2014, 02:42 AM
Geeze, I'm way to afraid of Spiders to even go near them. I have huge arachnophobia! lol
That being said I still know quite a bit about the local genus in my area.

Now the insects I do enjoy are Ladybugs and beetles. I enjoy learning about them when I can.

Jim
09-27-2014, 10:52 PM
I've always found ladybugs and beetles to be pretty cute.

I find most people that are afraid of crawly things can at least tolerate beetles, I guess they tend to seem pretty innocuous compared to the more bitey/stingy arthropods. O:

Here's a couple of beetles I've found! We get a ton of neat bugs up around the base here.

http://i.imgur.com/fM8jhrV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3r3gai8.jpg

Tiger
09-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Those are cool beetles! Beetles in general are pretty awesome. Where did you find those, and do you know what kinds they are? :O The one in the top picture is especially awesome.

Jim
09-28-2014, 01:04 AM
Found these outside the station of my rescue squad, it's up on a hill next to a small forest we do training in. The one on top is called the "unicorn beetle" by common name. I'm not the best with beetles so I can't tell you what it is down to genus or species, but it's definitely in the Dynastes family.

The one on the bottom is probably somewhat closely related to the one on top! O: Not sure if it's a more immature version or perhaps an example of sexual dimorphism. Probably a different species or genus altogether as far as I know!

Onnes
09-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Found these outside the station of my rescue squad, it's up on a hill next to a small forest we do training in. The one on top is called the "unicorn beetle" by common name. I'm not the best with beetles so I can't tell you what it is down to genus or species, but it's definitely in the Dynastes family.

The one on the bottom is probably somewhat closely related to the one on top! O: Not sure if it's a more immature version or perhaps an example of sexual dimorphism. Probably a different species or genus altogether as far as I know!

If these were found in North Carolina, then I'd tend to assume the top was the Eastern Hercules Beetle. The black one is more difficult because there's an impossibly large number of similar looking black beetles, and the photo doesn't show all that many features. The Sugarcane beetle (Euetheola humilis) or Rice beetle (Dyscinetus morator) would be a good guesses, and does put it in the same Scarab subfamily as the Hercules beetles.

Jim
09-30-2014, 12:23 AM
If these were found in North Carolina, then I'd tend to assume the top was the Eastern Hercules Beetle. The black one is more difficult because there's an impossibly large number of similar looking black beetles, and the photo doesn't show all that many features. The Sugarcane beetle (Euetheola humilis) or Rice beetle (Dyscinetus morator) would be a good guesses, and does put it in the same Scarab subfamily as the Hercules beetles.

This is indeed North Cackalacki :B

But thanks for the input! I am not very good at the beetlies. <3

O: Anyone else got cool pics they wanna share?

Onnes
09-30-2014, 10:16 PM
I have more than a few photos lying around, although not too many recent ones due to location and timing.

http://i.imgur.com/UwcmYV6.jpg

This looks to be an Agelenopsis funnel weaver; it was found in West Virginia.

Harbinger
10-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Oh geez, finding rare threads like these makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I am a gigantic invertebrate fanboy, i've been keeping and breeding a variety of them since 2006 (before then i had like one pet at a time, not 50 species at once like now), mostly keep phasmids, followed by beetles, roaches, vinegaroons, and true spiders, although i've had a lil bit of everything at one point or another. And him is that a Dynastes tityus?
I just got a bunch of D.granti larvae the other day, i had to make a list the other week of my current species list, here it is.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/Dessicata/LIST_zps74b2f5a6.jpg~original
But since then i'll have to add Dynastes granti, Eudiecella shiratika, mecynorrhina savagei, Jumnos rukeri, Orthomeria sp., and Deroplatys trigonodera, been a busy week :P
Here's some recentish pics, i also photograph them whenever i can and wildlife :P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invertsfromhell/page3/

WolfNightV4X1
10-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Oh geez, finding rare threads like these makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I am a gigantic invertebrate fanboy, i've been keeping and breeding a variety of them since 2006 (before then i had like one pet at a time, not 50 species at once like now), mostly keep phasmids, followed by beetles, roaches, vinegaroons, and true spiders, although i've had a lil bit of everything at one point or another. And him is that a Dynastes tityus?
I just got a bunch of D.granti larvae the other day, i had to make a list the other week of my current species list, here it is.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/Dessicata/LIST_zps74b2f5a6.jpg~original
But since then i'll have to add Dynastes granti, Eudiecella shiratika, mecynorrhina savagei, Jumnos rukeri, Orthomeria sp., and Deroplatys trigonodera, been a busy week :P
Here's some recentish pics, i also photograph them whenever i can and wildlife :P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invertsfromhell/page3/

Holy hell harbinger! Those are all YOUR pictures of YOUR bugs...I didn't know you had so many. A lot of these are incredibly cool.
You've been breeding them too? Gotten anything interesting from that?

Jim
10-16-2014, 09:32 PM
O: THOSE ARE SUCH PURTY PICTURES.

<3 That's a cutie huntsman too.

EDIT: As not to double post here's a link of some of my own bug pictures! http://imgur.com/a/BKT67

Not nearly as fancy but I try to record my happy encounters with critters. <3