PDA

View Full Version : could this fursuit head, in theory, be made?

WolfNightV4X1
08-07-2014, 11:34 PM
I was on FA and I recently came across an original species called a 'dereon'

The water dereon in particular looks interesting http://dereons.deviantart.com/art/Water-Form-Dereon-Adopt-5-Open-472000299

The thing is...it's horns have water that trickle out of it.

I was wondering how that would look if you were to make a fursuit head (no doubt it'd be expensive and complicated) But I was thinking it could be doable.

I was thinking the 'water' could be a fog machine installed inside the horns. Not sure how to do that, though, perhaps dry ice?

TeenageAngst
08-07-2014, 11:45 PM
The laws of physics do not prevent this from happening.

Everything else is simply a matter of time and money.

WolfNightV4X1
08-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Of course the laws of physics don't forbid it x3

But I'm wondering if its legitimately possible for the horn component to be made...I have no idea how that would work or if I were to commission it who could make that happen

Accellerant
08-09-2014, 05:37 AM
Note: I have little to no experience in the cosplay world. The following information is from assumptions and my one time class for 3D design in 2013.

The head that you've provided is definitely possible to construct, horns and all, the question though is the choice of materials and effects you wish to pull off. You also need to ask yourself how often/long your sessions of wearing this mask would be, because carrying a 15+ pound object on your shoulders is easily exhausting. I'm sure there's other little tidbits I'm missing but I'll move along to the main inquiry: the horns and creating the associated water effect. If I were to suggest a material where quality is your focus, I'd suggest Wonderflex. Wonderflex is a malleable plastic which can be shaped to whatever you desire after heating it. Think of it like clay, but it's moldable when heated and doesn't need a fancy furnace to solidify it :P. You can pull off a great amount of detail with Wonderflex, but it will take a lot of time to attain the shapes and features you wish for. Another downside is that it costs a pretty penny to get a good amount. Depending on how you plan out this mask, it can range between $50-$125 plus some just for the horns! After you have your horns created, the next challenge will be painting it. I wish I could help you on this tidbit, but our professor never had us paint our Wonderflex figurines. Yeah, I never got that either O_o

So now we move onto the water tidbit. Sometimes simplicity is best when it comes to something like this. Now don't get me wrong, you can totally make it doable where water (or even steam/mist) comes out of the horns, but is it really worth it? Think about it, how much more weight would be added to you if you wanted to get as close to emulating water as possible? Besides, using tubes and molding your horns where a tube can be slipped through creates its own complications and can be maddening if the initial design/blueprint isn't thought out. So what would be the most ideal suggestion that I could give where you can replicate water? I'd honestly suggest sticking with a good 'ol fashioned thin blue rag with bits of it bleached, some glitter bits here and there and attach it the bottom of the horns. I know, it doesn't look like water and it may seem to "bring down" the mask, but it's the most practical. You don't have to worry about keeping, for example, your water reservoir filled constantly so you can continue to have your mist effect, nor do you need to worry about pinching/stopping tubes while going about your business. Besides, it'll sway to and fro as you move about and would mimic water though as gravity/force affects the real deal.

But the reality is that everything I've pretty much said doesn't make a lick of difference in the end. What it really comes down to is who creates your mask and what they're skilled with. It's much like the same principle of any skill or process, it doesn't matter what kind of materials or programs you're providing, what matters is the person.

Welp, that about wraps up this wall of text. Hope this helps ya out friend and good luck! :)

Axikita
09-24-2014, 06:06 AM
So, it seems like the main question you're asking here is how to make water drip out the horns. The rest of the mask is doable, and similar stuff has been done by several makers, so I'd hunt for standard tutorials on that stuff.

Assuming you want to do it with actual water, you'll need three things- a reservoir to hold the water, tubing to bring it to the horn tips, and a pump to propel the water through the tubing. The horns would have to be cast or formed around the tubing, or formed out of something hollow so the tubing could be run down the length.

There are some obvious tradeoffs here- more water flow will require a more impressive pump, and the reservoir will have to be larger if you want to use it longer or have more water come out.

As a sample build, you could try a camelbak (http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Products-HydroBak-Hydration-Graphite/dp/B00EPGSIAE/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1411551720&sr=1-2&keywords=camelbak) for the water reservoir, drip irrigation tubing (http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Watering-Irrigation-Drip-Irrigation-Drip-Irrigation-Tubing/N-5yc1vZbx80) for the horns, and maybe jury-rig a soda-bottle pump (http://www.amazon.com/Jokari-Fizz-Keeper-Pump-Caps-Pack-Count/dp/B0020ML3PM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1411551449&sr=1-1&keywords=fizz+keeper) to the camelbak to keep the pressure up. There would be some plumbing work to do to connect it all together, and you'd have to have the pump somewhere accessible to keep the water flowing, but I'm pretty confident it would work. I'm also pretty confident that there's a better solution for the pump, this was just the first thing that came to mind. But yes, the mask is possible.

Lilythekitsune
09-25-2014, 01:08 AM
It's absolutely doable. However, it's very very tricky. A lot of times things with water need a place to pool, be collected and then distributed again, much like those little fountains you can plug in and watch the water constantly go out. That being said, it would take some engineering to do and that is where the expenses come from. Some people use piping, others do what they call 'bsing'. You can, to an extent, have an LED underneath the horns and sticking OUT so it looks like the water is moving down it. I saw a costume have a lava lamp effect similar to that before. A costumer that can make it though is a whole other story and would be rather costly.