PDA

View Full Version : How important is the fursuit to you?

Auriel Kitsu
08-04-2014, 08:58 PM
For me working towards getting the suit and living out the fantasy is like 75% of my motivation The rest is that I really love the people that love furry fandom. We really are a different kind of people than most other kinds of fandoms although I think Bronies are very complimentary as well.

I know some people only socialize online or otherwise don't feel any strong emotions about getting furry. I guess that how furry you are falls along a spectrum like many things in life.

So lets hear it. On a scale of 0 to 100% how important is designing, making and wearing the fursuit to you.

What style of suit are you into?

Western Style Toony
Eastern Style Anime
Realist Style

I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Oh and for the record I'm an Eastern Anime/Realist Style.

Until the next revolution, I bid you peace.

Auriel

Hewge
08-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Like, 0%. I've never cared whatsoever about the fursuit thing. I'm personally only in this fandom for the people and the art. xP

Rory
08-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Like, 0%. I've never cared whatsoever about the fursuit thing. I'm personally only in this fandom for the people and the art. xP

^

Fay V
08-04-2014, 11:14 PM
I dunno how to score this. I guess like 70%

Fursuiting is what got me into the fandom in the first place and it's something I greatly enjoy doing. I like the fandom for other things though, and I like most of my suiting outside of the fandom, volunteering with kids and such, so yeah, it's weird.

I already have my onefurall suit. I'm making plans for more.

Auriel Kitsu
08-05-2014, 02:15 AM

So you don't consider the fursuits an expression of art the same as drawing characters?
Not to be critical of your orientation in the slightest but not validating suits as art seems kind of odd to to me.
I've met some great local people in furry fandom and I have arranged my entire weekly schedule just so I can spend from 2 until 6 with my furry friends every Thursday.
All of the people I've met so far seem to be mostly interested in drawing furry characters more than talk about the art and technology that goes into fashioning a full or partial fursuit.
I really wish I could find more people that are into the suits although one of the reasons I don't think they are that popular is the Arizona sunshine.
Fall, Winter and Spring are good for Fur though. I'm hoping when the weather cools down people will start to think more about fur.

Vae
08-06-2014, 03:17 AM
I don't really put any investment in my furry "identity," so fursuits are not a personal source of importance to me.
I would, however, like to own one, just because I like dressing up in crazy costumes for the fun of it.

As for preferences, I like... I guess you could say the standard furry-style costume? Like this. (https://38.media.tumblr.com/9429308416d04ffcd77290afe00c5358/tumblr_n9viv5bmPZ1sonvd0o1_250.jpg)
I don't like overly cartoony, and I don't like ones that are super realistic.
There have also been some Japanese ones that I've liked.

Auriel Kitsu
08-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Vae. I didn't realize that different nationalities had recognizable styles of Furry Fandom. Makes sense though. Do any of you have links to different cultures Furry people?

By the way, I got a big kick out of seeing your gender bending signature. i like things that make people think.

Noxid
08-06-2014, 07:14 AM
I'd rank it as.. well, something not very high. Maybe 13%. I mean yeah, I understand what the deal is, and I admire the craftsmanship that goes into some of them (and am amused by the lack of craftsmanship that goes into others), but I still feel a bit weird about the whole deal.
I mean, you can't really hold a casual conversation with someone who's in a fursuit, and I'm not into the whole acting goofy schtick, so there's not much in it for me.

Auriel Kitsu
08-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Noxid,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings. On the point about not holding a conversation? Well I've had no problems talking to furries here with my local Furry group although sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face particularly when we are talking about something serious and the thought crosses your mind that I standing in public talking to an anthropomorphic cat.

I was just watching some YouTube with a couple if Furry Class clowns getting a rise out of people at a few different fast food places where they totally blew people's minds going through the drive through ordering and pay for their food as a big, furry fox person.

Funny stuff.

Angellothefox
10-09-2014, 05:03 PM
70%
I want to get my fursuit finished with Grandmar helping me and possably mummy so I can go out into the world, help some charitys.
Hopefurly go to my old school in a fursuit.
Or even to a brony meet up. See the gang dressed as a blue fox.

After when I am done with the fox one I want to get a dragon one commisioned. I'll payBellow 20.00

Harbinger
10-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Not very, i'd only ever get one if it were one of them super realistic ones, the rest are too cartoony and kidna creepy to me.

SweetSushi
10-16-2014, 04:37 AM
about 80% or something :P Since I know the furry fandom, I always loved the suits (I am not a hugger tough). I was already kinda a cosplayer before, but fursuiting was a whole new thing for me. I liked the idea a whole lot better. You are in suit, its about the character you wear, not about you and I am kinda shy with performing (maybe that brakes the wall?). And that's always something I went for. Something that bothered me allot with cosplayers, most of them seek attention for them self. But then again there are lots of pro cosplayers who rlly go for the "character" but I just liked the idea of dressing up in a character and that's it rlly, just for fun!

After a year (in 2012) knowing the fandom, I tried to make my own. But as always, when I want something I always put other first. So I made the first experiment fursuit for my mate. It was okay, but nothing special :P It was a fun experience and the first time we went to a furry convention. So knowing me I got so much inspiration from being there!
The year after (in 2013), our friend got super excited (yes even our friend became a furry and wanted to fursuit). Even tough I said to myself I wanted to make something for myself instead, I put myself aside and made him a partial suit. It was my second try and after looking allot on the internet and how fursuits are made, I could do it a bit better, but not perfect.

Now this year, I didn't go to a convention, so I had no reason to make a suit (silly huh?) was too busy anyway. But I did made a few of kigurumi pajamas, so instead gained some sewing skills. Again not for myself, but in 2015 I don't want to get empty handed again.
I never experienced fursuiting tough, which means I can't rlly tell if this is something for me. But nevertheless, I want a fursuit for myself! It would be very awesome to see my character as a suit. I would go with a mixed Western/Eastern Style Toony fursuit. I want something cute and not to detailed, big eyes and fluffy! That's also the reason why I didn't start with my own, since its not the typical wolf/fox suit (in a way you can look how others do it and learn from it), mine is a mammoth and I wanted to get a bit more experience first.

As for 2015 I probably won't have the time nor money to make the suit YET. Since it will most def be a suit I will make myself. I will focus a bit on kigurumis pajamas more, so I will def make my own pajama of my fursona design (look at my avi :P) and will try to make the fursuit late 2015, starting 2016 maybe? So I can wear it during 2016, if I even can suit or like it. But even tough I don't like it, it will still be awesome to have a suit.

With that said, it doesnt has allooooot of priority, but it is def in my wishlist! ♥ (ugh I talk to much :P srrsly)

Kaluna
10-17-2014, 05:44 AM
Hmmmm I think it's about 85% for me....

I have always been into things that are considered "furry" like cartoons with anthos as the main characters, werewolf movies/myths, etc. But it wasn't until I went to Further Confusion and saw fursuits in person, that was the moment I considered myself a furry, and to this day is my main motivation for being a part of the fandom. I can see animal art elsewhere, but fursuits are a pretty much exclusively furry thing. I've always wanted to be an animal, and not even a real animal, a cartoon animal. I wanted the movies and games I plyed to be real, and to be part of the fun and interesting stories. And fursuits bring that to life, pictures and videos don't even compare to the experience of being around tons of fursuiters all acting fun and weird, everyone playing a character. It's like an animal-themed circus that anyone can be a part of. Tht's the way I saw it at least. After my first con I went home and immediately started researching fursuit making techniques.
Then I found someone on FAF offering to make a suit for the price of materials and I went for it, thinking that it was just going to be too hard for me and I should just get someone else to do it who had done it before. She had a few examples and I was new to the fandom so I went for it, what I got was a slapped together falling apart suit with glued seams and scissor cut fur and a million other problems like /it cut my face open/. So I tore her apart, fixed her up as much as I could and still wore her everywhere. Fursuiting became my life. I would go to my college campus in suit, or around town, and I made so many people so happy. I took her to two cons, and traveling to many cities and finally decided, after having redone nearly every seam of the suit and changing the foam structure from the inside and changing the eyes from resin to toony, etc, that I wanted to make my own suits, and that I really liked sewing and learning about costume making. I poured myself into learning techiniques as I repaired my own suit, and so I felt like I was finally ready and made my own.

I mostly liked the look of the Eastern Style/Kemono Style suits, but I wanted to mix that with the western cartoon I was used to so I tried to come up with something inbetween. I made a partial based off of my fursona which was a foxcoon at the time. Then I made a partial suit for my best friend. Now I'm taking commissions for fursuits, I'm still starting out so I'm mostly making paws and doing a couple discounted heads because since I'm new I'm taking a long time because I really want to do things the best way I can so I do a lot of research and lots and lots of trial and error. I'm hoping now to make a living in the long term doing this, and perhaps specializing in paws. So in conclusion, yeah fursuits are pretty much my whole reason for being a furry.

WolfNightV4X1
10-17-2014, 04:45 PM
I want a partial in the future sometime. But its not super important as of now. Maybe when I start going to fur cons I'll want my own even more.

I was looking at Phoenix wolf suits, CFF Costumes, and Sunny Valley Creations in particular.

Nightmareish
10-17-2014, 04:51 PM
I'd like one, but it isn't super important. I used to think they were creepy but seeing fursuits with awesome expressions (angry eyed Cream Cheese, for example, or the ones with adjustable expressions) has really changed my view of them. I'll be getting an angry-eyed toony suit of my blue weasel character sometime next year from The Fuzz Factory. I'm pretty excited about it.
You definitely don't need a fursuit, but I really like them because I love attention. Who doesn't? :p