PDA

View Full Version : Best Anti-Virus Freeware?

Cuttlebear
07-29-2014, 02:47 PM
I have an old Windows 7 PC desktop that I primarily use as a TV for music and Netflix. I already have Malwarebytes installed, Avast refuses to install and AVG only gives me the trail that eventually. What's out there other than those three programs that you tech-savvy lovelies would recommend?

Vae
07-30-2014, 12:00 AM
AVG is free, you just need to download the free version (http://www.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download), and not the normal one. Unless you agreed to a trial of the full version somewhere during the installation process. I don't know. I haven't used AVG in a while.

I use a combination of Avast and Malwarebytes.
Odd that it won't install to your machine.

Rory
07-30-2014, 12:48 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials has served me well over the years.

Accellerant
07-30-2014, 01:55 AM
I have an old Windows 7 PC desktop that I primarily use as a TV for music and Netflix. I already have Malwarebytes installed, Avast refuses to install and AVG only gives me the trail that eventually. What's out there other than those three programs that you tech-savvy lovelies would recommend?

Avast and AVG are the usual standard Anti-virus programs, and ones that I would personally recommend. There are other alternatives that my friends have used, namely Comodo and bitdefender, but I'm not so sure as to how effective they are.

Curious, that Avast doesn't want to install. Tell me, have you had any other anti-viruses installed before you attempted Avast? If so, it's very possible that the uninstaller for your previous anti-virus didn't do a very good job removing all its files. I'd suggest installing CCleaner, see if a previous anti-virus shows up and have it check/clean your registry. It's also very possible that Malwarebytes and other Anti-BADSTUFF based programs are simply conflicting with the Avast installer. The only way to be sure is to temporarily shut down any/all Anti-virus/Malware/Adware/Spyware programs, try to install Avast, and see if that resolves the issue. Also, take a peak at this topic on the Avast forums (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95020.0) and see if the solution that helped that user can help you as well.

If nothing works, then clearly your computer's been possessed by a zombie goast!

. . . .

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/035/5/b/1390680622339_by_accellerant-d751rid.gif

Vae
07-30-2014, 01:17 PM
I know viruses can also stop an antivirus from being installed (which I unfortunately learned firsthand, way back in my internet babby days), but it probably wouldn't have allowed AVG, either.

Saiko
08-02-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm a fan of using Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, and CCleaner. Together they've done a good job for me without being annoying or resource intensive like AVG, and they do a good job of catching each other's shortcomings. CCleaner in particular is good for cleaning up behind the other two in case something messed with the registry.

Fibriel Solaer
08-24-2014, 03:41 PM
Avast! and AVG are fairly popular security technologies, but I'd warn you that AVG installs a security toolbar that itself behaves much like malware and may be very irritating to you.

As for spyware scanners, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good one. Don't bother with SUPERAntiSpyware; it has the lowest detection rates ever, and the only thing it catches that nothing else does are tracking cookies (which are not even programs let alone "malware", which you can remove by clearing your cache in your web browser, and which you will always have as long as you're using the Internet.)

CCleaner, while not a malware scanner of any kind, is great for making sure things uninstall properly and improving your PC's performance by optimizing stuff like your registry (remember to save backups!) It can also wipe your free space, but this can take most of your day, depending on how much free space you have.