PDA

View Full Version : Too similar?

Zeta Neubourn
06-28-2014, 10:06 AM
I wrote a journal recently about a character of mine baring a striking resemblance to an existing character. This wasn't intentional, but I'm starting to worry about it. Could I get some opinions and advice? I'd appreciate it.

I'll just copy the journal here:

Ummm... I'm starting to realize that Neptune Jr looks... A LOT like Fizz from League of Legends. Seriously, check this out.

Here's Neptune: http://fav.me/d7jwnzd
Now here's Fizz: http://ddragon.leagueoflegends.com/cdn/img/champion/splash/Fizz_0.jpg

Yeeeeeshhhh... that's a huge bummer, because I'm really liking Neptune. I don't wanna seem like I'm ripping off Fizz, though. I 'unno. What do you guys think? Is he too similar? What could I do to change him up some? Should I scrap him altogether...?

Be honest, please.

And please do be honest. Thanks!

Rory
06-28-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm not even going to look, because it doesn't matter. If YOU know you came up with the character on your own, then it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say about it, or even if it's the exact duplicate of this other one. If you're trying to profit off of it, that's something else, but I don't believe that's the case here. See my otter (assuming he's still my current avatar, for future ref)? People told me I could not have him as my character because he looked too similar to another one. I didn't care, he was entirely of my design and inspiration; coincidences happen, and nobody is as unique as they think they are. That was like, 5 years ago. Never had any trouble. Stick with your guns.

Moogle
06-28-2014, 02:57 PM
There's a tiny bit of resemblance, but man do I hate when that happens! :P I think the only real connection would be the suction cups on the head along with the overall body shape. To be honest though, when I first glanced at both of them I didn't really catch anything similar until I looked harder.

If anything, what I would do is play around with the proportions on the body and try to mix it up a bit. Although, it's hard to want to change something you're so satisfied with! XD

Zeta Neubourn
06-28-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm not even going to look, because it doesn't matter. If YOU know you came up with the character on your own, then it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say about it, or even if it's the exact duplicate of this other one. If you're trying to profit off of it, that's something else, but I don't believe that's the case here.

While I appreciate the kind words... errrrmmm... I am planning on doing for profit things sometime in the future. ^^; He's gonna be one of the stage bosses for one of my storylines. The people I'm worried about getting on me about it is Riot Games' legal department if I ever do....... thought to be fair, getting to that grade would be a pretty big stretch, I suppose, eheh. ^^; Still, though, I appreciate the feedback.

There's a tiny bit of resemblance, but man do I hate when that happens! :P I think the only real connection would be the suction cups on the head along with the overall body shape. To be honest though, when I first glanced at both of them I didn't really catch anything similar until I looked harder.

If anything, what I would do is play around with the proportions on the body and try to mix it up a bit. Although, it's hard to want to change something you're so satisfied with! XD

I guess that's a good sign, heheh. ^^; I actually don't wanna mess with the proportions toooo much, though. He's supposed to be a spoilt kid, so I sorta went with those proportions to suit that... still though, that would hurt. I might come up with something-something.

Sammacha
06-30-2014, 04:39 AM
Looks similar to me, and looks similar to other things I have seen in the past.
There are a few things I might do to change him up but if you want to use him as something in the future I would probably head out to se a lawyer. At that point he can help you with how much and how many changes you would need to make. You dont need any crap forming at a later date that can be prevented now.

Currently your character stands out as different due to the fact that his face is 2 colours which meets with his underbody and your guy has a tentacle in the middle of the top or his head. Fizz has more ear thingies.

Fiz
06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't think they look that similar. The only similarities really are the head tentacles, their body size and that they're both blue. That said, their actual colors and markings are quite different and the way the head tentacles are placed and shaped are completely different. They even have a different face and tail.

If you're worried though you can probably think of a few things that you'd be willing to change to make them even more different. If it were me though, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

TealMoon
06-30-2014, 02:11 PM
While I do see some similarities I wouldn't worry about it. Besides I've seen creatures that resemble both characters before.

Zeta Neubourn
06-30-2014, 10:30 PM
I really appreciate the feedback from you guys. :> Seriously, I really do! I think I'm gonna keep Neptune as is for now, but if need be later, I can always change things up. I'll probably run it by a lawyer for sure when I do end up doing anything commercial. I guess I'm worrying too much, at least for the moment, seeing as anything commercial would be in the future some time from now.

Anyways, again, thanks for the feedback. Good to know I can stop by here for some good feedback. :D