PDA

View Full Version : The Puzzler's thread

Gumshoe
06-14-2014, 01:16 AM
Do you love a good brain teaser? Are you a fan of the puzzle genre in video games? Do you enjoy trying to find the perpetrator in your murder mysteries? Do you like to solve jigsaw puzzles on your downtime?

This is the thread for all who love a good puzzle, no matter what form it comes in. I'm quite the puzzle enthusiast myself, and I'm always experimenting with new types of brain teasers (one of my favorite, yet unique types so far is the reverse word search).

Now, go nuts.

Zeitzbach
06-14-2014, 04:11 AM
I'm a fan myself especially when it comes to puzzle that tricks you into doing stuffs that you didn't need to.

Like, in the training camp, I got a chance to make a game with my team and we decided to make a puzzle-ish one. The MC can use special power to extract elements and use it. His house was on fire and people were like "Find some water power and clear fire then gtfo"

Sadly none of them really paid attention to the fact there's a goddamn window in the first room and anyone smart will just jump out of the window. It was also sad when people bitches that "I didn't know what to do" and demand a hint be given about everything.

Moogle
06-14-2014, 05:23 PM
I've played a few on some consoles an such, they really keep you on your toes! However, I really need to find more to play that have got some kinda story to go along with it. My fav one so far is for the DS called Ghost trick. I've heard Limbo is really amazing as well, gotta get my hands on it. :3

Gumshoe
06-14-2014, 05:39 PM
I've played a few on some consoles an such, they really keep you on your toes! However, I really need to find more to play that have got some kinda story to go along with it. My fav one so far is for the DS called Ghost trick. I've heard Limbo is really amazing as well, gotta get my hands on it. :3

Ghost trick is a fantastic game. Has some awesome puzzle navigation sequences plus an awesome story to go along with it (especially the ending).

Two franchises I would highly recommend are the Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton games. The game play these games offer is so unique compared to other puzzle games. They even come with fantastic plots (plus, Phoenix Wright is also made by Shu Takumi, the creator of Ghost Trick if that's any incentive).

I never played Limbo, but I heard it was a fun little game for puzzle solving.

Moogle
06-14-2014, 06:06 PM
I forgot to mention Phoenix Wright! XDD I've played all them with the exception of the newest one (for 3DS), which I'm currently sluggin' through on the first case still, ehe. :roflmao: It most definitely is unique! I've heard of Professor Layton before but was unsure if it was worth the time. Looks like I'll be readin' more into it now though, thanks for recommending it!

piñardilla
06-14-2014, 11:17 PM
My favorite of the "classic" puzzle games, and the game from which my sig originates, Tetris Attack:

wPdHKGrvgqg
AKA Panel de Pon in Japan, and later cloned as Pokemon Puzzle League. Has pretty much nothing to do with actual Tetris. What stands out about it is that rather than having to set up elaborate chain reactions ahead of time, you can keep moving blocks after you start to clear the first set and keep building a chain reaction on the fly. The most effective way of doing this in Vs. mode is actually using the garbage your opponent sends you, so matches pretty much always culminate in massive garbage blocks filling both sides of the screen and both players spending the bulk of the match in danger of topping out if they can't keep clearing blocks (as your top-out timer stops as long as blocks are being cleared).

Then my favorite version of actual Tetris, Tetris the Grand Master 3: Terror Instinct (or just TGM3 for short):

mn6GAlk-4LA
Produced in Japan (if you couldn't tell from the name), and only exists in Japanese arcades, but being a Taito Type X² game, it runs natively in Windows so it doesn't even need to be emulated. This version of Tetris is designed specifically for high-level play. Blocks each have their own unique audio cue so you don't even have to look at the piece preview, and you can immediately rotate or hold the next piece in the same frame that it spawns by holding the appropriate button. These are pretty essential features, as the game gets ridiculously hard before you actually finish. At the first music change, instant gravity begins – pieces immediately fall to the bottom in the same frame as they spawn. This changes the game dramatically, as you have to shape your stack to allow for pieces to be dragged across the surface of it to the position you actually want them to lock down in without getting stuck. The player in this video overcomes an awful start to get in a pretty comfortable position heading into level 800, only to blow it literally in the space of two seconds. Features a unique grading system and saves your play data. Your saved grade isn't just your best run; you must attain a grade consistently until the game offers you a "Promotional Exam" at that grade. The difficulty curve progresses to the point where exactly 3 people in the world have attained the top grade of GM.

piñardilla
06-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Pinar knows the deal. That Tetris looks like the tits. Can't wait for Tetris Ultimate though.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Ultimate, but unless they amend the Tetris Guidelines to allow for firm drop again I think TGM3 will forever be the closest-to-perfect Tetris game ever made. I can live with SRS rotation but locking hard drop is just stupid.

Firm drop is important because it lets you do cool things like quickly tuck a piece under an overhang using an input similar to Zangief's Spinning Piledriver:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060505165802/tetrisconcept/images/0/03/TGM_Legend_Sonic_Drop_2.gif

Holding right moves the J-block to the right edge, up drops it down, left tucks it under, and down locks it in place. With a hard drop system, this is a clusterfuck to accomplish.

Toshabi
06-17-2014, 03:26 AM
I love me some Magical Tetris Challenge.

XR5EjaOaf3w

Also, I think Alone in the Dark 3 counts. There are pretty good puzzles in it.

Dc2Ni93Jjvg

Batty Krueger
06-17-2014, 08:19 AM
OG Tetris for NES.
Still own both my nes and games from back in the day.

Sammacha
06-17-2014, 07:44 PM
I used to do a lot of mensa puzzles and such, I was really good at them for a really long time, until one day time just vanished in this hell people call a life

Valery91Thunder
06-20-2014, 03:21 AM
Hey there! Great fan of long, logic puzzles and brain teasers that are especially present in point and click games!
Get items, combine them, use them everywhere, talk to NPCs, wait for reactions... there's enough to make you crazy and I love that xD

Otherwize for simpler puzzles, I really like the Pan de Pon categories. I used to play and still own Pokèmon Puzzle Challenge for GBC, and it's preally entertaining. :3

Gumshoe
07-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Hey there! Great fan of long, logic puzzles and brain teasers that are especially present in point and click games!
Get items, combine them, use them everywhere, talk to NPCs, wait for reactions... there's enough to make you crazy and I love that xD

Same with me. I actually just played the demo for a point and click called machinarium. It's looking a little promising so far.

I have also been doing a lot of my puzzling on a site called Puzzle Baron. If none of you have ever seen and/or heard of it, I highly recommend you check it out (I have spent countless hours on there).

Gumshoe
08-03-2014, 11:13 AM
(apologies for the double post)

I'm trying this new daily activity where I solve +1 side of a Rubik's cube per morning.

1st day, got one side. 2nd day, stalemate (Rubik's cubes are a bit new to me).