PDA

View Full Version : custom pc

inu1990
05-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Is this good build it my first time i have allot of times hard time to find good motherboard.
Is there any other good motherboards and is this good upgrade for card nvidia 660 to EVGA 02G-P4-2774-KR Superclocked ACX GeForce GTX 770 2GB 1.11Ghz
which hard drive is better wd black or velocity raptor black
are sound card better Asus Xonar Essence STX or Creative Labs ZXR

CPU

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Combo discount automatically applied. (View details.)
CPU Cooler

Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard

Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Combo discount automatically applied. (View details.)
Memory

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case

Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive

Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System

Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Case Fan

Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan
Mouse

Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones

Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset

piņardilla
05-24-2014, 02:52 AM
For the most part, you are massively overbuilt. The added cost of your top-shelf parts far outweighs the added performance you're getting from them, unless you have a specific reason for having them (gaming is not a specific reason). You're also not particularly extending the useful life of your computer by overbuilding; historically, the relative difference between a price/performance optimized machine and an enthusiast machine has been pretty small by the time they are obsolete.

The primary advantage of the i7 processor, for instance, is hyper-threading support. Unless you're doing a lot of video processing or heavy number-crunching, you won't see much use of that feature. You likely won't ever exceed 8GB of RAM usage, either. Liquid cooling is also overkill, even if you are overclocking. A full ATX motherboard, particularly an "enthusiast" board like the Sabretooth, is just extra bulk unless you plan on using all those PCI-E slots. You also overestimate your power needs. The money you're putting towards these parts would be better spent elsewhere, like on a solid-state drive, or maybe beefing up your video card for multi-monitor gaming if you must (you're pretty much at the point of rapidly diminishing returns on GPUs as well though).

This build (http://pcpartpicker.com/user_r/build/edit/?tag=3PRql) is about as much money as I'd think you could possibly justify throwing at a new computer. It's still a ridiculous behemoth of a machine; if you change anything it should be to scale back from this build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99
CPU Cooler: stock
Motherboard:Asus H97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $114.99
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $199.99

Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.99
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $319.99
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $84.99
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.99

If you must overclock, wait until the K version of that processor is released on June 2nd. But in addition to the K version price premium, you'll also need to drop another $30 on the Z97 version of that motherboard, another $30 on a decent heat sink (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2), and some thermal compound. This is already a ~$1300 monster.

Also, as a final note, Razer mice are notoriously short-lived. I recommend you go Logitech instead.

Saiko
05-24-2014, 04:29 AM
If you're not going to overclock, I suggest you consider dropping the i7-4770K to an i7-4770. The only difference that I recall is that the K has unlocked timings, for better or worse. Note that the difference in price on Newegg is only about $10 right now, so this probably won't be terribly important.

In the same vein, if you aren't overclocking, you likely won't need liquid cooling for your CPU.

I also doubt you'll need a sound card, unless you'll be doing audio work on this machine. If your a diehard audiophile, then I guess you'll want one; but I personally would prefer to divert the money into the GPU or PSU.

To be honest, motherboards are a bitch to compare. I imagine you'd get similar performance out of either of these two units though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130771
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128681

I'm partial towards Western Digital's Black Series as opposed to the VelociRaptors. Yes, the VelociRaptor series is considerably faster; but at that price difference you'd probably be better off looking into a secondary solid-state drive for the operating system.

As for the GPU, I think this is the page and price you're looking at? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

If so, you could do better.
Same specs and brand but better price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130946
Better clocks and better price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133495
Better clocks and better VRAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133499

If anything, swap to that middle link. If you can bump your price up a bit, I believe the third link is the best 770 I saw on the list. Of course, without the sound card and/or liquid cooling, you could fairly easily upgrade that choice to be from a list of 780's instead of 770's. The principle of comparison is the same, so long as the GPU is the same. A 780 with higher clocks runs faster, and more memory means it can load more data. 2 GB is the baseline and works well. 4 GB is generally the highest you'll see. Note that there's no pressure to upgrade to a 780. The 770 is an excellent card, and choosing it would save a lot of money.

You could also get a 770 and put the money into a platinum certified PSU to save on power. Admittedly PSU's are harder to compare online than motherboards, though.

I think the case you chose is the same one my boyfriend's brother uses, who makes a living off this stuff; so I imagine it'll work well.

I'm not sure if you need that Corsair fan or not. Someone else will need to give input on that.

==================================
EDIT:
piņardilla has some really good points. All of these part lists are monstrous builds, and you'd be hard pressed to actually use all of their power. I've tried to maintain the performance that your build had, but you could easily save several hundred dollars by downgrading it as a whole without noticeably changing your framerates. This would also make it easy to buy a second monitor, though that does indeed mean more processing for your GPU. A 770 should be able to handle that fairly easily though. And yes, I didn't do the math; but I don't see 750 Watts being necessary.

My only disagreement is with the RAM and motherboard size. Specifically, RAM is cheap enough to make the price of 16 GB rather trivial. I'd rather have the wiggle room, especially if I had multiple monitors. Also, depending on what you're doing, I imagine the MicroATX would be more susceptible to airflow problems. These are little things, though.

And on the topic of overclocking since both of us mentioned that, I strongly advise you don't mess with that if this is your first build. Overclocking is a surefire way to unnecessarily fry equipment if you don't have the hardware and expertise... hell it's a powder keg even if you do.

piņardilla
05-24-2014, 05:40 AM
My only disagreement is with the RAM and motherboard size. Specifically, RAM is cheap enough to make the price of 16 GB rather trivial. I'd rather have the wiggle room, especially if I had multiple monitors. Also, depending on what you're doing, I imagine the MicroATX would be more susceptible to airflow problems. These are little things, though.

Price per GB isn't significantly cheaper for 8GB sticks than 4GB sticks at the moment. With a 2x4GB kit, it's easy to expand to 16GB later if necessary. Buying 2x8GB now would make upgrading to 32GB easier in the future, but that's likely to remain overkill for several years to come.

People tend to overestimate their cooling needs too. The case in my build comes with a pair of 120mm fans and a 140mm fan. With the 120s in front, a 140 on top and the PSU's fan on the bottom, I can't imagine that box running hot at all, especially with an Intel CPU at stock speeds.

AshleyAshes
05-31-2014, 02:14 PM
The H100i uses two 120mm fan slots, it's a pretty fight fit even for an R4. I'd suggest the H80i which stacks two fans on either side of the radiator, it's easier to work with and in benchmark reviews is on par with the H100i. I'm using an H80i on an overclocked six core i7 4930K so I think it'd be fine on a quad core. In my system I found that stability at speed became a greater issue than cooling. :P

Runefox
05-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Actually, the R4 has 2x120/140mm slots at the top of the case for rads like the H100i. That said, it's a little overkill unless you're planning to overclock, and a good air cooler will be quieter (albeit much, much larger) at roughly the same performance level.

As for the Raptor drives, they've been more or less obsoleted by SSD's. Their raison d'ętre was speed at the expense of storage capacity (and overall expense), which SSD's destroy them in. A Samsung EVO is generally a good fit for most people there.

The GeForce 770 is a rebranded 680. It's a good card without a doubt, but its 256-bit memory bus limits it in resolutions beyond 1080p or when using supersampling AA. I should know, I have one, and game at 1440p.

As for the power supply, EVGA's aren't bad, but if you really want a good quality supply, XFX literally uses repainted SeaSonic supplies at a lower price. Personally, I bought a SeaSonic directly, but there is really no difference between the two in most cases.