PDA

View Full Version : How to attract more attention and feedback for my art?

IndigoTheFennec
05-21-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I post my artwork on Weasyl and FA, I post links to my submissions to /r/Furry on Reddit, I recently did a raffle, yet lately I'm getting a ton of views on my submissions (358 alone on my most recent (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/609528/trade-daisydook) Weasyl submission which is a lot to me) yet no favorites, watches, or comments. I'm feeling exasperated and I feel like things I've worked hardest on are getting the least amount of attention, which saddens me.

I could submit a crudely drawn MS Paint penis and I'm sure it would get at least a fave.

What do I do?

QT Melon
05-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Work on being better as an artist, then the attention comes to you. Otherwise welcome to the world of art, it's not easy you may not get recognition regardless of the work you did. So working on what you like and improving, eventually people take notice and will talk with you. Engage them when they do.

Pandering to get attention will not make you happy in the long run.

Hewge
05-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Yeah. It's better to worry about improving over worrying how many people favorite your jazz.

TealMoon
05-21-2014, 04:11 PM
People don't comment/fav much on weasyl.

BlueJaySF
05-21-2014, 09:44 PM
People don't comment/fav much on weasyl.

Which can be both a blessing and a curse. I comment on pictures here infrequently, which I'm sure the uploader appreciates, but I will not favorite, barely qualify as "following," and do not expect very many (if any) remarkable comments on anything I submit. Hell, I barely feel okay about people favoriting my stuff.

While I'm sure that my refrained participation will mean an awkward view of me, it's the only thing I feel comfortable doing, and the community just has to live with that.

Sammacha
05-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Work on being better as an artist, then the attention comes to you. Otherwise welcome to the world of art, it's not easy you may not get recognition regardless of the work you did. So working on what you like and improving, eventually people take notice and will talk with you. Engage them when they do.

Pandering to get attention will not make you happy in the long run.

^
Work harder.

Rory
05-21-2014, 10:51 PM
^
Work harder.

Hate to say this, but it's true. Work harder on your art and on networking. Always, always, always. Only reason why people ever care about my work in the first place is because I've networked so much, it's objectively far worse than most things on here. It's the same no matter what site I'm on.

Also, I've seen the penis thing not work on here multiple times, so... =/

IndigoTheFennec
05-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Hate to say this, but it's true. Work harder on your art and on networking. Always, always, always. Only reason why people ever care about my work in the first place is because I've networked so much, it's objectively far worse than most things on here. It's the same no matter what site I'm on.

Also, I've seen the penis thing not work on here multiple times, so... =/

How do I network, anyway?

Rory
05-21-2014, 11:18 PM
How do I network, anyway?

Networking is all about talking to others, as much as you can. Commenting on art, journals, etc. Talking to others on sites like this achieves a couple of things at the same time: it gets your name out, it encourages other people to visit your page, and it helps you to meet people who can really help you improve your own work. Sometimes you subtly redirect people to your page if you have a shared interest, but otherwise people will do as they please. I just started drawing and I would have given up immediately had I not had the support of people I just met through Weasyl the past few months. We've been having group drawing sessions with a program called Nyanchat where I'm able to watch their process, and where they can help me and give me advice too if they have the time/desire. I just stay humble and friendly, and it seems to work well.

All of these people I met by pretty much reaching out to them first, save for one or two, whether it be on the forums or on the mainsite. For all the cool people I meet, there are plenty who show no desire to engage with you, but you just have to move on from those as dead ends. It's a struggle, but everyone has to work hard at it, even the super popular artists who have their own set of problems.

QT Melon
05-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Post a sketchbook, comment on critiques. People knowing you're generally helpful in helping them out may eventually help you out. Keep in mind that netting a group of other artists may not be buyers, but they can help you improve and that helps you build your audience.

Antumbra
05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
I would also suggest to not let it get to you if some stuff isn't popular. I know some of my favorite art I did was not necessarily everyone else's favorite. Just keep going at it, keep trying to improve, and enjoy what you do.

(insert "hang in there" cat dangling from tree)

Zeitzbach
05-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Drawing a penis might get you some fav and comments now but know that it will only attract the dirtiest scumbags of the Earth known as furries.

And you will wish you didn't do that because it will forever leave a taint in your record.

If you really want something now that is also something you can also enjoy drawing, fanart of your favorite character is the easier way to go with.

Hewge
05-23-2014, 10:04 AM
So much unnecessary hate on dicks! :v

But, yeah. Even pr0n won't actually get you attention if it's not well-drawn. Or at least, not any kind of attention you'd want.

DancingVulture
06-18-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm in a similar boat ! It's definitely all about the networking while doing what you love. I have my work on more sites than I can keep up with half the time, so managing to network on top of it while keeping the art flow going is a balancing act, but we'll find that happy medium! (one day! -cry- )

Noxid
06-23-2014, 09:43 PM
networking can be haaard
especially if you haven't got the self-confidence to ~believe in yourself~ first, or the time to get around the nets and make yourself known.

Sometimes I think I'm actively working to prevent myself from being noticed - I'm not into the commission game, I upload sporadically, I am bad at giving favs and comments (trying to work on that though), and I don't really draw anything that has mass appeal.
Still, my most recent piece (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/646027/a-thousand-years-of-solitude) managed to net four favs all by itself, which is pretty rad.
I just draw bc it's fun, and I like being able to take my stupid ideas and make them into stupid pictures.

rbartrop
06-24-2014, 11:29 AM
You don't really need mass appeal. All you really need is a few people who really get what you're doing. This is why networking is so important, and it doesn't have to be all that hard, or scary. Online communities like FurryMUCK or Second Life can be a good place to contact people who share your interests, and let them know you make art.

Archidae
06-25-2014, 01:47 PM
You definitely want to post things in the sketchbook and link back to your submissions and uploads. You also want to reach out to people and try to get acquainted with others and make friends. When you have some friends you are more likely to get some genuine feedback!

Being social on art communities is a HUGE part of getting yourself out there! You also need to constantly be improving and practicing. You want to show the effort that you are truly trying. A lot of people don't know what to say to someone who is learning, they don't want to sound condescending or insulting when trying to offer advice or help. Which is rather difficult to do. You just need to get out there and be social and practice hard. It takes work but it's worth it in the end.

Crow
06-26-2014, 11:08 PM
I just draw bc it's fun, and I like being able to take my stupid ideas and make them into stupid pictures.

Here our friend is saying something very VERY important, and it's something even profesional artists will tell you and that I have learned through experience: If you don't love what you draw, no one will.

I understand it's pretty neat to have people faving and commenting your stuff, everyone likes when that happens, however when you let that kind of things becoming your main motivation then things get pretty depressing and frustrating. it is true that we as artist should have an audience, people who enjoys our works, but you have to remember why you started drawing in the first place. In the very begining I didn't start drawing to get attention, I didn't draw so people complimented me, I drew because i wanted to draw, because it made me happy. I STARTED DRAWING FOR MYSELF.

Enjoying what you do might not seem all that important but it's in fact fundamental. if you're unable to feel satisfied with yourself about your art, then no one is ever going to look at your work. You can't expect the wolr see things you as the artist can't see either.

Yes, feedback is very important, and it's also a grat help when you get it, but you have to realize you won't always get it, and that also means that most of the time you have to critic yourself, but be mindful, this doesn't mean bashing yourself, and this is a very hard thing to do because we will rarely feel satisfied with our own work. Still you have to look at what you do and admit there are things you like whenever there are, and admit there are things you can improve as well and try to improve them. You don't need feedback to improve. Look at tutorials, practice, go visit other people's work and ASK then how theY did this or that...

But don't do it for the faves, dont' do it for the likes, do it because you love what you do and because you want to get better at it regardless what other may think. This is going to sound super corny but truth is that when you love your work people NOTICES it, and since your drawings have a "someting" to transmit to others it's easier for your audience to conect with it and with you, the artist behind it.

Networking is important, being social is very important, but the most important of it all is that YOU ENJOY WHAT YOU'RE DOING, that you love your work even if it's imperfect. When you draw because it makes you happy, then there are chances your drawings will make others happy as well.

Just keep trying, practice a lot, but over all enjoy yourself. Don't get discouraged if you don't get the attention or feedback you were expecting from a pic you worked oh-so hard.... You worked hard to get better, to do what you wanted, and YOU are ther only one who can really tell if your work deserves a fave in your own gallery even if no one else gives it one.

Remember that if you want to inspire others, first you must feel inspired yourself.