PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cover Song?

RedSavage
05-13-2014, 07:31 PM
It can be somewhat maybe agreed that some songs might be just fine the way they are. But show off any covers you might actually consider better (or more interesting) than the original one. Or just what you might consider a good cover.

For me, I always like it when the original song is given a sort of different angle or spin, that sort of gives it, you know. A completely different feel and connotation despite the words being the same.

So, my favorite is Queens of the Stone Age's cover of Tom Wait's Goin' Out West.

EI06Sc9paF0

For one, Tom Wait's is the kind of legend that would make you ask Why bother? It's a whiskey dipped, 8 hour smoked gravel-on-the-hood sound and feel that could only fit Tom Waits himself. But, QOTSA does this sort of sunblasted, radio up, 85 mile an hour down a desert Cali-highway kinda feel.

Oh, and and Josh Homme covers his own song in another band.

cTCb6NPsIkk

That is all.

Dire Newt
05-13-2014, 08:56 PM
QotSA did a really nice job with Goin' Out West. I'm hoping to see them in July for their Like Clockwork tour.

3aF9AJm0RFc

Pretty obvious one, but I love this cover nonetheless. Very unique take, very powerful.

Ruggy
05-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Florence and the Machine - You've Got the Love. (Originally by Candi Staton.)

Her voice fits this song so well I was genuinely surprised to learn it was a cover. I love everything about it, even though religious themes in music tend to turn me off.

PQZhN65vq9E

Also, Running Up That Hill by Placebo. (Originally by Kate Bush.)

I know a lot of people who dislike Brian Molko's voice, and as much as I love Placebo, I definitely see how his voice would be a turn-off for a lot of folks. But I just love what they do with this song.

RBlAdApfK9U

(Also Feeling Good by Muse, from The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd, but that is kind of one of those 'everyone and their mothers covers this song' songs.)

Infestissumam
05-13-2014, 09:29 PM
cVA1qubYWhQ

One of my favourites, anyways.

SirCoffeecup
05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
I'd guess my fave cover is Stargazer played by Dream Theater, though I don't even know that many cover songs so that's not that big of a feat.
0EpxOVXW1a8

Honorable mention to Steam Powered Giraffe for their version of Diamonds. While the original isn't not quite my cup of tea, I do prefer this version.
tU-VJOzb-10

Ruggy
05-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Honorable mention to Steam Powered Giraffe for their version of Diamonds. While the original isn't not quite my cup of tea, I do prefer this version.

I really, really love that one. Their band has kind of a weird schtick, but damned if they don't make some good songs.

ALSO aaa I just remembered about this. Dream Academy's cover of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. Y'know, that song from Ferris Bueller. I love the original, but somehow, this instrumental cover of it offers something totally different and wonderful.

RR9NI778Iww

Damian
05-14-2014, 03:28 PM
OH MY GOD

I don't know what to post first! D:

Uh....uh...UH! Do instrumentals count? Or uh remixes that have different songs in them? Because that would greatly affect what I post.

Well, this is one that would fit in as a simple cover song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TpfK-4gS08 I didn't know that was a cover tbh. I was surprised.

ALSO LETS GET SOME GRAND FUNK RAILROAD IN HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyU4W8iyeI

Ranguvar
05-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Not sure if this counts, but this is one of the best versions of "Allons Danser Colinda" I've ever heard.
-ItkAVRPhAM

Zerig
05-15-2014, 01:58 AM
xBE3CTcNa8I

Best. A shame they didn't do the whole song, though. But the one after it is pretty good too.

Tycho
05-24-2014, 04:17 AM
-sudx1f2qg0

Better than the original (by The Damned).

NR7dG_m3MsI

Dio was great, but KS:E did immense amounts of justice to this tune.

Krespo
05-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen's cover of Gimme Gimme Gimme:
zo3pfnldlD0

Ratte
05-26-2014, 07:07 AM
UzhZx591rIQ

YV4oYkIeGJc

I'm sure I'll have more later.

Term
05-26-2014, 10:35 AM
This is perhaps the greatest cover of all time that I've personally heard:

fregObNcHC8

Still gives me chills.

Chuck
11-19-2017, 03:55 PM
My all-time favorite cover song would have to be Elton John's cover of The Beatles' "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds":
NcDbRE5WbRs

rbartrop
11-21-2017, 03:09 AM
This one right here. The Art of Noise doing the Peter Gunn theme

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LmWQhXlaQpU" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmWQhXlaQpU