PDA

View Full Version : [SITE] Music Submissions.

Artax
09-10-2012, 10:46 AM
As a keen musician (Reason 6.5) I'm curious / suggesting about the inclusion of media out-side of Weasyl.

Like the Youtube video embedding will Audio streaming services be included? SoundCloud in particular as that's become a bit universally accepted these days and they've made it oh-so-easy to embed via flash/html5/etc.

I may have missed a similar Q&A regarding this, but is this considered / in the works or are you already way ahead of me? :)

Taw
09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I believe we were looking into the possibilities of embedding those onto the site in addition to YouTube videos, but we hit a snag with one of the audio ones if I remember, Bandcamp or Soundcloud or something. Not really my field of things. I believe we have to wait until they let us access their API before we can take advantage of getting embedding working on Weasyl for them. I'll direct Kihari here though for a more solid answer about it though, since that's something he would know about.

Kihari
09-10-2012, 10:11 PM
we hit a snag with one of the audio ones if I remember, Bandcamp or Soundcloud or something. Not really my field of things. I believe we have to wait until they let us access their API before we can take advantage of getting embedding working on Weasyl for them.

I believe that is Bandcamp embedding you're referring to; I had devised a work-around despite this (though it would be nicer for them and us if we had access to the API) but that's all under-the-hood stuff anyway; it's working to the point that we have a test submission of this type posted so that we can polish up the front-end coding. If SoundCloud has a simple way to generate or retrieve embed code, then it should be trivial to add support for it as well.

Oly
09-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I believe that is Bandcamp embedding you're referring to; I had devised a work-around despite this (though it would be nicer for them and us if we had access to the API) but that's all under-the-hood stuff anyway; it's working to the point that we have a test submission of this type posted so that we can polish up the front-end coding. If SoundCloud has a simple way to generate or retrieve embed code, then it should be trivial to add support for it as well.

pretty sure soundcloud's API is public? at any rate every SC sub has the option to generate embed codes, for sure.

kaskae
09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I believe we were looking into the possibilities of embedding those onto the site in addition to YouTube videos, but we hit a snag with one of the audio ones if I remember, Bandcamp or Soundcloud or something. Not really my field of things. I believe we have to wait until they let us access their API before we can take advantage of getting embedding working on Weasyl for them. I'll direct Kihari here though for a more solid answer about it though, since that's something he would know about.

Either or, I'd be very interested to see those put into place. I'm big on posting my music to both, so it would save me a lot of trouble that I would have trying to post different files to different sites.

Artax
09-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Hiya,
Soundcloud API and details are here: http://developers.soundcloud.com/blog/stream-and-download (see 'Playing Streams on Websites' section)
There're simple embed codes and, of course, more advanced things.

I really hope SoundCloud can be added as a priority (Bandcamp seems to be more orientated towards monitising user's audio) as it allows the tracks to be downloaded in high bitrates or even uncompressed where as showcasing your music with youtube not only requires the process of creating a video but the audio quality is limited.

Kihari
09-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Soundcloud API and details are here: http://developers.soundcloud.com/blog/stream-and-download

Thanks, I will see about adding support for this into our content embedding module.

EDIT: Done so.

Artax
09-17-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks, I will see about adding support for this into our content embedding module.

EDIT: Done so.
You... are a STAR!!