PDA

View Full Version : Some critiques about my progression.

jerry
04-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Last time I opened myself to critiques I only received extremely rude ones, almost insulting, so I worked without them for a while. But even if I don't feel they're "necessary" at my skill level, I'm still curious to know how others view my work :D

I won't put my entire portfolio here, but I'll show my improvements from 2011 on.

Here's one of my earliest sketches from 2011 (http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/M400APowrDoor/Jerry_no_more_analog_II_zps43728c7c.png)

These are some sketches from 2012 (http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/M400APowrDoor/8thingsHands_rough_zpsb8483af2.jpg)

Then I started to get more serious and really learn how to draw better. One of the first sketches I really was proud of was this one (http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/M400APowrDoor/AskMeIfI_Care_zpsad19fe53.png).

I drew the same thing recently and the difference is quite significant to me! (http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/M400APowrDoor/AskMeIfI_Care_2014_sk_zps6db52c43.png)

I even tried this with another sketch from 2011 I had. Here's the results (http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/M400APowrDoor/Jerry_pole_ev_2011vs2014_zps8404addc.jpg).

For the moment I mostly put my efforts in improving my basic drawing skills. I don't have like whole sketchbooks filled with sketches but I did study the work from artists I like for HOURS, especially the head. I think it's starting to give results. Of course I'll keep on working on that, and now I'm working on improving how I draw the rest of an anthro's body.

I'm curious to know if someone ever used this sort of "study a lot, practice a little" method and if it worked of not LOL. To me it does seem to work at least partially, but I'd appreciate having opinion from others.

Thanks! :D

Antumbra
05-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Hello! I'll see if I can offer some critique for you.

It is definitely helpful to look at your favorite artists and see what techniques they use. I would suggest doing more practice than studying however. I've always found that it is easy to conceptualize how to draw something, then fall short on the execution. Practice helps fix that.

Overall I do see some improvement on some things, such as the head dimensions on the redrawn sketch. Oddly enough, I actually like the body and hands better on the 2012 one. The body perspective is a little better and the hands sit more naturally.

I would suggest studying some anatomy more, even if you are going for a toon-y style. It helps to work with perspective and how to make parts sit more natural. I personally like this book for anatomy and figure drawing: http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-All-Its-Worth/dp/0857680986/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399384347&sr=1-1&keywords=andrew+loomis

StormWhiskers
05-19-2014, 03:19 AM
I definitely agree that your art has improved using 'study lots draw little' but I'm also a really big fan of 'fail faster' which basically means every time you draw something you get a little better because you see where you went wrong and can change it the next time. While you'll probably improve your art either way, drawing more may help you improve faster.

Antumbra suggested an Andrew Loomis book for you and I absolutely agree, his books break things down quite well when you're trying to improve. Since his books were out of print for so long there are heaps of places where you can download them or even view the books online, just google his name and a few of them should pop up.

I also find gesture drawing to be very useful when I'm trying to get the hang of proportions or make my characters look less stiff. Since you seem to be going for a rather toony style it might also be beneficial too look up Preston Blair and his books, there are scans of some of the pages online and while his style isn't particularly close to yours, they might still be helpful.

jerry
06-02-2014, 12:20 PM
I can't disagree with the fact that drawing more will speed things up LOL. I definitely need more inspiration, and stop being afraid of "wasting" ideas by drawing them now instead of waiting to have better skills. That's probably my biggest problem.

Speaking of books, I recently came across this (http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/xhtml-chunked/index.html) while looking for something completely unrelated LOL. It does look like something worth reading!

And yes, I do go more toward a more toony style LOL. I guess it's somewhat obvious I was a total fan of cartoons as a kid, especially those with cartoon animals. So it started WAY before I even knew what a "furry" was!

notMateo
08-31-2014, 04:11 AM
That "study a lot, practice a little" mentality has *never* worked out for me. Practice makes perfect, after all, and sitting and watching isn't practice.

Now, while you're gaining useful information, it's not worth it to do all that research and not apply them. You're going to have to balance out practicing and studying. It's good that you study, don't get the wrong message, but the key here is balance, because you can just "understand" how to draw from observing.

Now, looking at what you've done so far, I think your biggest fault might be getting a grasp on anatomy- even cartooning still has a basis on anatomy. And I know it's kinda boring, but take a look at things like proprotions and basic muscle structure- it's sounds like "I dunno, sounds boring and sounds like it doesn't apply to me", but it will help you no matter what your style folds into.

But yeah, generally the more you draw the better- and don't just draw to say "okay i drew, now I'll start getting better"- every time you draw something, have the mindset that "I want to make this picture better than my last", and you'll notice change. It may bum you out sometimes when you fail your own expectations, but to be honest? Artists have a habit of making stupid expectations for themselves.

And last, have fun dude B)
Art is supposed to be enjoyable. Find your groove; put on some Pandora and own that shit.

But yeah that's my 2 cents.

Hewge
08-31-2014, 04:59 AM
That "study a lot, practice a little" mentality

Wut

Who has ever said that? lool

notMateo
08-31-2014, 05:04 AM
Jerry did

I'm curious to know if someone ever used this sort of "study a lot, practice a little" method and if it worked of not LOL.

Hewge
08-31-2014, 06:35 AM
Studies exist to make understanding things easier, and to open more doors to practice stuff on your own. They are a means of creating your own path; pillars for your own grand design!
Studying is important, but it's not everything. Art is supposed to be fun and passionate - so what's the point if you're turning it all into a chore?

Personally, the best advice I ever got were two simple words; "Just draw."

Although I'm not sure this Jerry guy even comes here anymore, so... ;[

notMateo
08-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Oh crap you're right

I just necro'd the fuck out of this thread, my bad guys

jerry
09-11-2014, 09:39 PM
LOL, I'm still alive guys, don't worry xD

Well I'm glad to see the flaws you guys noticed match the ones I see myself! Indeed I need to work on anatomy. That's actually what I plan to work on the most from now on. Otherwise I always want to improve a little thing every time I draw, one detail at a time.

To be perfectly honest I didn't have much stuff to draw, aside from my character and random objects... But now I'm preparing a webcomic project, this should give me plenty of things to draw and practice!

NovaCaine
09-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Viewing the comparison photos you provided, I can see indeed you have improved. It's your effort that you put into learning new techniques and ways of drawing that definitely helped as well.
I would suggest keep drawing, specially if you have a passion for it. If you really enjoy it you can create a lot.
Perhaps try sketching something each day, no mater what it is. (things from everyday objects to animals or simple shapes) It's good to get a feel for how you draw personally.
Every artist is different.
If you admire a certain style, then it doesn't hurt to aim to perfect that style.
I'm currently only following artists on Weasyl with the same skill and artistic level that I am at. I find it easy to grow with those similar to me.
The major artists I look up to and admire, I follow on FA (along with anyone else that I really like)
Just keep practicing of course and don't be afraid to look up tutorials as well. I find those can be quite helpful too :)

I do apologize if this wasn't a critique you are looking for ^^'
All the best to you :)

~Nova

jerry
12-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Oh, didn't notice there's been a reply here xD

The more I draw, the better, that's for sure. However school is keeping me busy so I don't often have the time or the energy to draw like ALL the time...

But I did work several hours on anatomy in the last few days. The most difficult thing was to figure out which basic forms to start with so I could refine them. My sketch from last night took significantly longer than usual to complete because of that. But I like the result:

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/M400APowrDoor/OilChange_sk_zps1e780f8b.png

My own body was the real-life reference for this one LOL.