PDA

View Full Version : Copy: A secure cloud storage system with shareable space

Runefox
04-12-2014, 01:03 PM
So I was asking around about alternatives to Microsoft's OneDrive and Google Drive for file sync and one of the alternatives that came up was Copy. I decided to check it out and see what set it apart from the competition.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/480497_343455439092753_1145108529_n.png (https://copy.com?r=iW31cd)

Copy is a service by Barracuda Networks, a company that's been around in the network security business since 2003. At a glance:

It boasts multiple layers of encryption of user files (with the ability to digitally sign and share files)
15GB of free storage (20GB if you use a referral link (https://copy.com?r=iW31cd) (shameless, I know, but hey, extra 5GB of space!)) with no file size limits or sharing limits
Support for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android and iOS (all with the ability to transfer from another Copy app on your network instead of transferring from the internet)
The ability to have corporate "team" accounts with private storage space, inaccessible even to the administrator of the team (with teams of 5 being free)
Something completely unique: "Fair Storage", which in their own words, "lets you split the bill with shared folders. So a 20 GB folder synced between 4 people only counts as 5 GB per person."
Oh, and automatic file history / versioning with date/time/user modified tracking, even for free accounts
So far, I've been quite impressed with it. The web interface and mobile app are both laid out very well, and the desktop apps work seamlessly. What's more, the desktop apps also allow you to control how much bandwidth is used for file sync, whether or not to show icon overlays for synced folders and files, the ability to share or get links directly from Explorer/Finder/etc... Basically it's the most available options and the least hassle I've ever had with a cloud storage service. It almost makes me feel like it's a waste of time to run my own webserver. Almost. Anyway, I really recommend it. It's far more pleasant to use than Google Drive and OneDrive, and it integrates really well. I personally intend to use it as a sort of hybrid sync/backup service for my documents.

FishNChips
04-12-2014, 07:53 PM
I could probably use that.

I've got all sorts of shit sitting in my hard drive that I'd like to back up.

piņardilla
04-12-2014, 08:00 PM
So...what's wrong with Dropbox?

FishNChips
04-12-2014, 08:40 PM
So...what's wrong with Dropbox?

Is Dropbox better?

I've been using Google Docs for written stuff but that's about the extent of it, and I need an alternative for other things. :notworthy:

piņardilla
04-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Is Dropbox better?

I've been using Google Docs for written stuff but that's about the extent of it, and I need an alternative for other things. :notworthy:

It's not better but if it was just an objection to using a service provided by either Microsoft or Google, it's a pretty well-known alternative (it's what Microsoft and Google ripped off in the first place).

Runefox
04-12-2014, 09:08 PM
It's not better but if it was just an objection to using a service provided by either Microsoft or Google, it's a pretty well-known alternative (it's what Microsoft and Google ripped off in the first place).

It's mostly that Dropbox isn't even on my radar. It gives an absurdly low amount of space for free, costs a lot to get more, has a terrible interface, and yeah. The only thing that Dropbox does have that Copy doesn't that I care about is multi-factor auth.

spacerogue
04-13-2014, 01:32 PM
I think I'll stick with dropbox, for now, I just had the dumb luck of buying a Samsung phone what somehow gave me about 50 free gigs for 2 years. I didn't even know there was a thing going on.

I'll probably move there when the promotion ends and get a sub of 500g ,honestly for that price I'm not buying another portable USB. I loath tossing those around, I fail at keeping them uptodate and I'm tremendously good at losing them or their wires.

Socks the Fox
04-17-2014, 08:31 PM
20GB of free storage thanks to Rune's referral link :D

And have strongly interested a friend into possibly getting a paid account, just shouted my referral link on her page...