PDA

View Full Version : What is a furry?

Groovy Salade
04-12-2014, 01:29 AM
What is a furry? I consider myself a furry, some people say I am a furry fan. I love furry artwork, I like the idea of having a furry version of myself to interact with other furries online. I feel like I have some sort of connection with the animal I choose to represent me online. Am I a furry? Is a furry someone who wears a fursuit? Is a furry someone who only has an interest in yiffy artwork? Or are those just two of many different types of a furry? It seems to me that the furry fandom is very complex, and represents many different types of people with many different types of interests, but the one characteristic that is present is the interest in anthropomorphic animals. So is a furry just someone who has an interest in anthropomorphic animals?

Does someones fursona have to be based off of a real animal? What about a real animal with unreal patterns/colours etc. How about if they are a feral fur like myself, thats not necessarily anthropomorphic, does that still count as a furry? Some people think that they are the wrong species in the wrong body, species dysphoria if you will. Are these people furries? Frankly I don't believe that we are any species other than the species we physically are. I am a human being, and it would take a lot of evidence to the contrary to convince my otherwise, but I do feel a somewhat strange connection with the spotted skunk, why that animal and not some other one?

I don't know maybe my brain has been fried from being up too late and I am just asking random questions. But I would like to know what you guys think a furry is and isn't, why you think you are a furry and not merely a fan of furry art, and why (if you do) feel this connection with the animal you choose as your fursona.

And for that matter what the hell is a fursona? Some animal representation of ourselves? Or something else?

And I am not asking out of ignorance here I am more asking philosophically speaking.

Kanagrooboy
04-12-2014, 01:41 AM
You're looking way too deep into it. It can be a mix of the things you listed, though I am of the general belief that liking anthropomorphic animals + a want to be involved with the furry community/fandom and actively participating, be it suiting, drawing, browsing works, discussing works or con attendance = furry.

Groovy Salade
04-12-2014, 01:53 AM
Well I wouldn't really say I am "Looking way too deep into it" To fully understand something sometimes you have to go deep. But I appreciate your answer it has shined some light on the issue. That is very much in line with what I consider a furry to be.

Hewge
04-12-2014, 02:01 AM
Nah - you really are over thinking it.

Also - you know what a persona is, right? They are almost everywhere. A fursona is basically just a persona but with fur in the front, because furries are kind of daft and do things like that.

avan
04-12-2014, 02:06 AM
I generally just go by the idea of 'if you identify with furry, you are'

[edit] - and a similar approach for fursonas - whatever you identify as them really i suppose

Kanagrooboy
04-12-2014, 02:08 AM
Nah you really are thinking too far into it. You could easily replace "furry" with "trekkie" or "otaku" in your question. It's a fandom. We're fans of anthropomorphic animals. Can't really get any deeper than that.

A good discussion that might do for getting a good dig on discussion would be more something like discussing the literary value of anthropomorphism, if that is probably something along the linesof what you were looking for.

Zeitzbach
04-12-2014, 02:31 AM
A miserable little pile of furs. But enough talk… Have at you!

Groovy Salade
04-12-2014, 02:47 AM
Hewge, I am a little upset at your apparent condescending tone in the second part of your message but maybe you didn't intend that. Yes I know what a persona is. You could have just said "A fursona is just a persona but for furries" what would be wrong with that? It would be a very simple answer which isn't really what I was looking for but it wouldn't be mean in anyway.

As for the over thinking part, I don't really see how just saying that and ignoring what I asked contributes anything to the conversation. Am I somehow wrong for wanting to have a conversation about something? I made this post so we could discuss what it is to be a furry, what a fursona is etc and have a real discussion about it.

I stand by what I said, to fully understand something you have to search deep for meaning. Yes you can answer my question with a simple "A furry is a member of the furry fandom and a fursona is the furry fandoms version of a persona" but thats not really what I was looking for. I was looking for some interesting opinions of what constitutes a furry and what different peoples opinions were on that matter. I really hope that this thread doesn't simply die with only a few responses, I like this community and I want to meet people with interesting opinions like myself so I hope others will maybe offer their opinion on what a furry is and isn't and their opinion on what a fursona is, why they have that animal, etc thats all I wanted. So I might be a little philosophical, like I said its late, thoughts are in my head keeping me up but I hope that won't discourage people from responding.

Toshabi
04-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Guys, I have no idea whether I have a hobby or an obsession! :^[

Rory
04-12-2014, 04:51 AM
Moved thread to lifestyles and hobbies subform. Too tired to give a real response to the question, but a furry (or furry as an overarching concept) is whatever you want it to be. Furries are too diverse and different to fall under any ol' definition.

Rilvor
04-12-2014, 04:58 AM
As for the over thinking part, I don't really see how just saying that and ignoring what I asked contributes anything to the conversation.
It's a valid response. Your thread is a question, afterall.

I was looking for some interesting opinions
You shouldn't be quick to discount people's opinions, then.

I want to meet people with interesting opinions like myself
Are you really wanting to meet people with interesting opinions, or are you actually just wanting to meet people with your opinions? The way you are reacting is casting doubt.

so I hope others will maybe offer their opinion
If you start discounting people's responses as "uninteresting" then you won't find people offering them for long.

I hope that won't discourage people from responding.

I think you should re-think your approach, and perhaps what it is you actually want here as well. "Furry" is a fandom, and as such it has pretty clear-cut lines as to what constitutes it and who is a member. There is nothing philosophical about it.

Krespo
04-12-2014, 05:32 AM
I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for a thread like this to appear.

And I am not asking out of ignorance here I am more asking philosophically speaking.

Would you ask philosophically what is the meaning of dressing up as Captain Kirk? Or cosplaying at an anime convention? You are giving this far too much thought.

Red
04-12-2014, 06:13 AM
A miserable little pile of furs. But enough talků Have at you!

Dang it ! Beaten to the punch...

But yeah, no real definition needs to be made, as there are so many variables and degrees of furryness, so... Eh.

Groovy Salade
04-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Rilvor I want to clear up a few things.

First, lets look at the first reply to my question. He said I was over thinking, fair enough thats his opinion and thats all right with me, but he also responded to my question. I was a little upset at the other response so perhaps because it was like I asked a question and someones response was just "Thats a stupid question" instead of "Thats a stupid question, heres why, heres what I think, etc" then the second part of the question was well just not a very friendly thing to but *shrug* I don't know what to say about that really.

I was not discounting other peoples opinions but theres a difference between offering an opinion relating to the subject and just dismissing the entire subject. Yes that is an opinion, so is if someone answered "Your a fucking idiot" and nothing else. I hope that clears things up. I never thought of myself as someone who only listened to my own opinions but I think if I spend some time to ask a question the least people can do is answer the question instead of just thinking im stupid. Again nothing wrong with thinking im stupid but I would like to have a conversation about it. And maybe I am just over reacting I don't discount that possibility either I am a sensitive person so I would not be surprised.

Saying "I want to meet people with interesting opinions like myself" I am saying id like to hear some interesting opinions from other people and saying that I tend to have interesting opinions about things, I understand what you are saying I suppose I did not make the best choice of words for that statement, it was very late, I was very over tired so I apologize.

I wasn't saying anyones opinions were uninteresting, I didn't reply to anyone who answered my question with what they thought a furry was with "Thats not very interesting" I think all opinions regarding what constitutes a furry to be interesting, I guess I did not choose the best words again, i was very tired etc I was rambling a bit so I hope you can understand and don't think any less of me because of that. Perhaps you were thinking my comment that simply saying "Your over thinking" was me saying that the comment was uninteresting. Ok, I can understand that, but I was a little distraught at that someone would just say that without adding anything anything else.

Finally this thread has actually shined some light on the issue for me, I see some people who say that "A furry is a furry pretty clear cut" etc and others saying "Furries are a complex fandom that can be difficult to really define" great! That was what I was hoping to see. I myself personally both agree with some and disagree with other parts of both those beliefs. You could view the fandom as what it is, just a fandom, but to others it is much more than that I hope we can respect each others different beliefs regarding the subject I will try my best to and I am again glad that people offered what the believed that was really all I was looking for. I suppose I could have done a better job at wording my question and that would have avoided any unpleasantness. So if I offended anyone, I am sorry, and if I got offended at anyone I am sorry for that too, if you want to quote the responses I just made now then that's also fine I think I am just going to leave this thread a lone though I feel like I might have struck a nerve and that wasn't my intention at all so again my apologize and hope we can move past this and be friends :)

Art Vulpine
04-12-2014, 12:42 PM
For me I define a furry as a creature with human and animal qualities.

Is it a cat girl from Anime? Furry!
How about a talking dog? Furry!

Now granted I know most people consider furries as creatures that are either half human, half animal or close to that, but I'm open to a broader range.

Another definition of furry is a person that likes furry characters. They don't have to draw or write to be considered a furry, just have an interest in the characters.

Billy MT
04-12-2014, 01:09 PM
For me being a furry is being compassionate and caring, and also an imaginative person who likes to recreate it's own image to what reflect his self. Just happening to be an animal is what makes it a "furry" o: So yeah, in my eyes it's not much of a stone-throw distance from an artist, but with much more passion, and an intimate exposure of one's identity.

Damian
04-12-2014, 04:56 PM
A person who enjoys anthropomorphic animals and associates with the fandom in some way, shape, or form. (Drawing, writing, cons, fursuiting, etc)

Llama
04-13-2014, 05:06 AM
What is a furry? I consider myself a furry, some people say I am a furry fan. I love furry artwork, I like the idea of having a furry version of myself to interact with other furries online. I feel like I have some sort of connection with the animal I choose to represent me online. Am I a furry? Is a furry someone who wears a fursuit? Is a furry someone who only has an interest in yiffy artwork? Or are those just two of many different types of a furry? It seems to me that the furry fandom is very complex, and represents many different types of people with many different types of interests, but the one characteristic that is present is the interest in anthropomorphic animals. So is a furry just someone who has an interest in anthropomorphic animals?

Does someones fursona have to be based off of a real animal? What about a real animal with unreal patterns/colours etc. How about if they are a feral fur like myself, thats not necessarily anthropomorphic, does that still count as a furry? Some people think that they are the wrong species in the wrong body, species dysphoria if you will. Are these people furries? Frankly I don't believe that we are any species other than the species we physically are. I am a human being, and it would take a lot of evidence to the contrary to convince my otherwise, but I do feel a somewhat strange connection with the spotted skunk, why that animal and not some other one?

I don't know maybe my brain has been fried from being up too late and I am just asking random questions. But I would like to know what you guys think a furry is and isn't, why you think you are a furry and not merely a fan of furry art, and why (if you do) feel this connection with the animal you choose as your fursona.

And for that matter what the hell is a fursona? Some animal representation of ourselves? Or something else?

Qualifications met. Congratulations, you're a furry! The rest of it is up to you. Everyone decides their own level of involvement. If you want to make a fursuit or have it made for you so you can hang out with other furries, go for it. Just make sure you can afford to do so first! Don't overcommit to a hobby and have it affect the rest of your life badly.

sassySloth
04-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Furry. Someone who enjoys anthropomorphic animals.

http://blogs.denmark.dk/sasa/files/2013/10/thats-all-folks.jpg

OP you said that the fur fandom is complex, but I think 'diverse' would be a better descriptor. People who like yiff, and people who go to conventions, and people who simply like anthro-animals in fiction can all be furries. The only criteria for being a furry seem to be...
1. Appreciation of anthropomorphic animals (in any capacity) and.
2. A willingness to identify by the term. I.E: A person might like anthropomorphic animals in general but not identify as a furry and that's their prerogative.

That's how I see it anyway.

Dire Newt
04-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Furries are stupid.

Toshabi
04-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Furries are stupid.

Indeed.

Seriously, furry is the only fandom that people agonize over wondering if they meet special qualifications to hold such an obscene and disgusting title. It's not like furry is a lifestyle. It's not a sexuality. It's nor something you have to come out to to your parents. It's nust a hobby. Holy balls, is THAT so difficult for some people to graps!? >:^[

There are no qualifications. There are no special requirements. Just do with it whatever you want.

Also typing on a phone is hard.

MkLXIV
04-13-2014, 09:17 PM
A miserable little pile of secrets!... Wait, that's a man... I personally just believe a furry is a fan of the anthropomorphic arts. Then again, everyone has their own definition. :U

JackalTeeth
04-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Do you like anthro animals? Do you wanna call yourself a furry?
Then congratulations(?), you're a furry.

Zeitzbach
04-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Indeed.

Seriously, furry is the only fandom that people agonize over wondering if they meet special qualifications to hold such an obscene and disgusting title. It's not like furry is a lifestyle. It's not a sexuality. It's nor something you have to come out to to your parents. It's nust a hobby. Holy balls, is THAT so difficult for some people to graps!? >:^[

There are no qualifications. There are no special requirements. Just do with it whatever you want.

Also typing on a phone is hard.

This is why I like calling myself a Kemono over Furry. When you hear Kemo-kun, you think of "Cute anthro character with cheerful personality". On the other hand, say Furry and the initial responses you will get are "tits, penises and yiff"

Kringg
04-16-2014, 11:16 AM