PDA

View Full Version : Characters and Journals!

Judicant
09-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Usually when we make a post on our features, we just highlight a single one, but today we decided to talk about two of our simpler features: Character Submissions and Journals!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wubmYAu51r5ecxs.png

Characters will be given their own submission type similar to visual submissions, making it an easy feature to utilize. Users will be able to upload reference sheets or relevant images, and will have space to provide a backstory or other written material. There will also be specific input fields so that the user can specify age, height, weight, and other relevant information.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wuc0eI8h1r5ecxs.png

When submitted, followers receive a character notification just as they would receive regular submission notifications. Characters will be placed under a special tab on the users page, storing them separately from a user’s main gallery and making them easier to find. Characters will also have their own tab on the front page allowing anyone to browse and find new inspiration, or an interesting subject for a gift image.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wucfwUr31r5ecxs.png

For journals, in addition to text, users will be able to include images as they see fit. Users will also be able to add tags, set content ratings, and choose a friends-only option for privacy. This allows the owner to not only restrict who can see their journals, but also lets users filter them out based on their content. After a journal is submitted, followers will receive journal notifications and be able to “Favorite” it in the same way they would with submissions. Favorited journals will appear under your favorites tab, but within its own section.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wud2DcZR1r5ecxs.png

If you have any questions, feel free to post here, send us an ask on Tumblr (http:/weasyl.tumblr.com), or find us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/weasyl) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/Weasyl), and we’ll be happy to answer them! We’ll also be addressing some more reader questions in a few days. Have a good week everyone!

Tiger
09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
That's pretty awesome! I never would have thought about character submissions being separate. You guys think of everything!

Caticus
09-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I agree with what Tiger said! This site is going to be completely awesome. :3

Fay V
09-06-2012, 04:08 PM
A doctorate at 27? impressive! Truly Dr. Cone, PhD is an inspiration.

Ibuuyk
09-06-2012, 05:03 PM
A doctorate at 27? impressive! Truly Dr. Cone, PhD is an inspiration.

Don't forget that 27 is pretty old in cone years!

Morphology
09-06-2012, 05:31 PM
This motivates me to get turnarounds for my characters made. :P

I really do like this feature. Original Characters is something that folks can enjoy across all genres. Maybe I can also figure out a way to use this to help with my tabletop gaming.

Demu
09-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Waah I'm diggin' this so much. I can't wait to use all these features you guys are teasing me with!

So you can write any species name in the "Species" field?

Flareon13
09-06-2012, 06:59 PM
As someone who has a number of characters, and (hopefully) a setting to write stories about them in sometime soon, this stuff about character submissions sounds pretty cool.

Now I just need to wonder what I'm gonna do for pics of all my characters, since I think I spend too many Job Points on Writer and not enough on Artist. :V

Judicant
09-06-2012, 09:39 PM
So you can write any species name in the "Species" field?

Yup! Cat, dog, amoeba, donut... anything!

Now I just need to wonder what I'm gonna do for pics of all my characters, since I think I spend too many Job Points on Writer and not enough on Artist. :V

Including an image will be optional, so if you can't find an image to accompany your character, it's not a problem!

Temrin
09-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Glad to see the character submission part. I loved the character section that nabyn produced, but i am very happy to see that you guys are taking it futher. With proper tags even! :D

I am so much squee. I want to start using the site NAOW! XD

Kazekai
09-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I might be 1% more motivated to draw a character sheet now. (I try to, but then I get lazy and just draw my character in a picture.)

Now I can make a set of emotes for my journal entries though. Obviously my avatar is going to be on the majority of them.

obliviousally
09-08-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm really stoked for this feature! :D

merystic
09-13-2012, 02:23 PM
I have to say I'm thrilled that we'll be able to favorite journals! It seems like a minor thing but sometimes an artist says something I'd like to go back to and remember or check out again.

Character-specific pages and submissions sound great. Seems so useful, I bet it's going to be something we're not going to understand how we lived without, down the road. I'm curious how it will work; will there be a main character "profile" page and a gallery within it, or submissions from your main gallery can be "tagged" as containing that character, or something else entirely? Either way I'm excited for character-specific functionality! :D

Ben
09-13-2012, 03:03 PM
That's a very good idea actually! Right now, we have our Collections system which allows users to effectively tag other users in a picture by sending it to their Collections, but we haven't considered doing something like this for Characters. In the mean time, you can simply add links to additional pictures in the description of the main character submission. We'll bring it up with the coding team to see what we can do about adding support for this idea later down the line.

Thesaria
10-01-2012, 08:05 PM
This will be very useful for artists doing commissions of others' characters. Also it draws attention to character design itself as a form of creativity.

taasla
10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
You have no idea how happy it would make me if I could assign submissions or something to a character, or to be able to tag a character in a submission.

Airu
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
will there be a main character "profile" page and a gallery within it, or submissions from your main gallery can be "tagged" as containing that character, or something else entirely?

Seconding this! I would love to see a character profile page where all the submissions that contain that character can be collected, and maybe a little thumbnail to that profile on those submissions so you can go find out more about specific characters as you browse art :D
That's just what I think, if it's actually possible that would be rad, but I am pretty excited with what we have so far! Great job so far, guys! I can't wait to see this site grow :3

Rooc
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I wonder, will there be a limit to how many character profiles we have? Say, if someone has 100+ characters, will they be limited to only 20 profiles or can they make a profile for all 100+ ?

Ben
10-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I wonder, will there be a limit to how many character profiles we have? Say, if someone has 100+ characters, will they be limited to only 20 profiles or can they make a profile for all 100+ ?

No, there's currently no limit on this feature.

DyerDexter
12-01-2012, 03:45 PM
No, there's currently no limit on this feature.

YES! *sobs with glee* Nabyn has 25 as a limit thing. I have over 300 but its separated by Manifest, Guardians, Permanent Mains, Mains, Secondary Mains, and Minors.