PDA

View Full Version : Plastic modeling?

BrazenBull
04-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Does anyone else here have an interest in making and painting models, whether it's cars, airplanes, or anything? I have a handful of gunpla models I have been making over the past year and I might show them off if there is enough interest in it. So go on and anyone show off any models you have built or discuss technique!

lorenith
04-03-2014, 12:44 PM
I've only really gotten the ones that area already painted, but have to be put together still.

I really love using them for references, and am a little sad they got some parts broke when I moved. :(

I have to admit the one time I did do one that I had to paint and glue, I hated every minute of it. I generally don't like dealing with sticky things in general, and everything about the model (it was some old ford that I painted blue...for extra credit...in a highschool history class?) was sticky. The glue was sticky, and stank of lemon, the paint was sticky, and tacky and annoying.

I probably went about it in the wrong way, but man I hate sticky things.

I suppose I'm not really a real, er model maker or something cause I just get the snap together ones, but they are fun to put together and have!

Rory
04-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Moved this over to the Hobbies forum, s'a more appropriate place for it.

I used to do models as a kid, actually. I was really into fighter jets (SR-71), Plymouth Prowlers, and Corvettes, all of which I made models of. I think they're all gone at this point, but the process was pretty fun from what I remember. Then, during university I spent one winter break with a friend and he spent much of his time building and working on Gundam models for competitions, it was pretty cool to watch. He'd build while I sat and chilled out with the PS2, playing old games.

BrazenBull
04-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Moved this over to the Hobbies forum, s'a more appropriate place for it.

Thanks, Rory. I made the thread like five minutes after I woke up and was still in zombie mode.

Anyway, yeah It's a really neat thing about the gundam models. Those are pretty much what I have. It's really funny though. I have absolutely no clue about the story of the various mobile suits I build. I don't watch the animes or whatever. I just took to building them because they look damn cool and I built a whole bunch of the simple kind back in the early 2000s, the Gundam wing models.

It's not that difficult after you cut your teeth on some of the easy kits and work your way up. You learn that tight rubber gloves help a lot in keeping your hands clean. I just use small brushes for now, but am planning on picking up some cans of spray paint to use outside now that summer is coming. I just can't justify spending money on an airbrush and compressor set for a hobby I have a moderate interest in.

SirCoffeecup
04-03-2014, 06:28 PM
If you mean miniatures, yeah, I built some.
Started with cars, motorcycles and moved on to miniature gaming later on.

Warhammers are a lot more fun to build than a car or a tank, though they were fun to make too.
I built so many tanks D:

Vae
04-03-2014, 07:21 PM
I've done a few "snap together" ones.
I'd like to do more complex, but I'm afraid I'll lose the little parts inside all the other little parts. And I'm more into just straight-up handmaking stuff with sculpey.
But it's still something I may look into again, some day.

BrazenBull
04-03-2014, 07:42 PM
If you mean miniatures, yeah, I built some.
Started with cars, motorcycles and moved on to miniature gaming later on.

Warhammers are a lot more fun to build than a car or a tank, though they were fun to make too.
I built so many tanks D:

Yes, this is the official "miniature things you paint and get frustrated with" thread.

tachi
08-15-2014, 07:21 PM
I used to be big into model aircraft, I still have shelves full of built models actually. Most F-16s ^_^

I've still got a closet shelf stuffed with unbuilt kits, I would just have to spend $100 on paint to get back into it. T_T

TeenageAngst
08-17-2014, 02:24 AM
I have a Dark Eldar army I'm working on, and a pair of space marines that I use for testing paint schemes.

Chuck
12-08-2017, 11:58 PM
I've been building model cars for years. I think I'm pretty good at it too, but I'll let you be the judge of that by checking out my Weasyl account http://www.weasyl.com/~thepinkroseoftexas and my DeviantArt account http://mr-pink-rose.deviantart.com/gallery/41758070/My-Model-Car-Collection
If you'd like me to build you one, leave me a note on either one of my accounts. Be sure and include your mailing address and the details of the car you request.