PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who

Judicant
09-01-2012, 10:43 AM
As we sit here, the day of the airing of the next season of Doctor Who, it only seems apt to make a thread about it.

Whether you're an old fart who's seen the original series and Doctors, you got aboard when the series was revived with that Christopher bloke, or you just like Matt Smith's hair: I welcome you all!

First of all, be mindful that everyone may not be current with where the series is currently. If you mention something that could be a spoiler, please put it in [spoiler] tags (that one is safe though).

OK, first off I'll admit I fall into the category of the old farts. Tom Baker is, and will always be, my favorite Doctor. If you ever want to laugh at old Sci-Fi cheesiness, and want to experience some of that Doctor, check out 'The Pirate Planet' (I believe it's on netflix even). I don't expect others to love it as I do, but I'll deal with it. :v

I think it's not the most popular choice at the moment, but of the new series the Tennant Doctor and Donna were my favorite pairing.

SO HOW ABOUT YOU NERDS?

Sinjo
09-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Been a huge fan of doctor who since about 2010. Caught up ten and eleven, want to catch up on nine.

Only having seen bits and pieces of the older doctors, I have to say the fifth and fourth are my favorite oldies.

Fay V
09-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I loooved Doctor/Donna as a doctor companion pair. It made for good writing. Especially since I wasn't going "just kiss her dammit" every three seconds.

Axiom
09-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I <3 Doctor Who.

zenia
09-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I didn't know when the release day was. It is today? OMG YAAAAAY!!!!

Term
09-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Totally missed that it was on, but knowing my viewing habits I'll end up waiting for all the episodes to make it to Netflix so I can watch them all. :P

zenia
09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I saw the new episode yesterday. I enjoyed it...

But was there a special I missed or something that has the Doctor coming back from hiding and letting Amy and Rory know he wasn't really dead? They didn't seem surprised at all to see him alive. And boy oh boy were those chains holding the Daleks back weak. Probably from age, but they didn't have any resistance at all. If they were that weak, wouldn't the weight of them have made them fall off on their own?

Oly
09-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I just watched the last episode of season six today actually.

I heard it was confirmed 11 will be regenerating at the end of season 7? I don't know if that was just a rumor or not though... heard it on Tumblr so yeah that's how credible that is. Also I hope the rumor that Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing the Master is true because whaehgrhrgh;akneveojefih the Master with THAT VOICE.

One episode that is at once a favorite and least favorite is Midnight. Great episode, brilliant episode. Such a feeling of dread I get from it... and damnit I hate almost all the people on that damn transport/shuttle/bus thingy.

zenia
09-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I think my favorite episode was Blink. It was the first one I ever saw and it was so engaging that I continued watching. Plus, I love David Tennant. Then I went back to watch the 9th doctor as well. I have seen all of the episodes of the three newest Doctors, but have yet to see any of the old episodes.

Krespo
09-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Doctor Who is possibly the greatest comedy ever written. I turned on the tv a few days ago and saw some crazy stuff about a giant space wasp and Agatha Christie. Turned out it was all on Netflix, so I stopped stalling and started watching. It is all kinds of good.

Also I'm in love with David Tennant maybe.

Axiom
09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure if they did it in a special, but it was covered. They also did some very short youtube videos called Pond Life.

Love me some Doctor who. :D

Spoiler regarding most recent episode:
I'm REALLY curious how they're going to work the new companion in, especially after this episode. Is it going to be Oswin herself? Is she not actually going to die but is actually saved by the doctor's future (via meeting her in the past). Kinda like River was "saved" by the doctor's future. Or is it going to be a distant relative of Oswins. (Which they've done before with having the same actress play a relative.) Eh.. guess it's pointless to speculate, I should just be patient. I do hope that whatever character the new companion plays it has a similar attitude to Oswin. Because I thought she was brilliant.

Oly
09-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I think my favorite episode was Blink. It was the first one I ever saw and it was so engaging that I continued watching. Plus, I love David Tennant. Then I went back to watch the 9th doctor as well. I have seen all of the episodes of the three newest Doctors, but have yet to see any of the old episodes.

Oh yes, definitely a winner! The video conversation bit is so goddamn genius, it truly is a winner of an episode.

Another really fantastic one(two technically) is Silence In The Library. First time we(and the Doctor) get to meet River Song, AWW YEEEEA.

zenia
09-04-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure if they did it in a special, but it was covered.Ah ok. I guess I have to go track that down then.

Rakuen Growlithe
09-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I enjoy Doctor Who but I've only seen the recent ones. I want to get my hands on the original episodes but I can wait for now. They don't make for great rewatching though. If you know the plots then it just seems quite lame. Great fun on the first round though.

Edit: And here's an essay on the cultural significance of the Daleks, if you care about that sort of thing. http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/culture/2012/08/sergeant-pepper-pots

TangoDelahunt
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Tennent is the best Doctor. I'm watching reruns of DS9 instead of the new episodes.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoy Doctor Who but I've only seen the recent ones. I want to get my hands on the original episodes but I can wait for now. They don't make for great rewatching though. If you know the plots then it just seems quite lame. Great fun on the first round though.

Edit: And here's an essay on the cultural significance of the Daleks, if you care about that sort of thing. http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/culture/2012/08/sergeant-pepper-pots

Netflix if you can get it. They have a bunch of the original ones.

Sparky15756
02-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Six weeks until he's back!

ShadWolf
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Usually if you wait long enough you can just watch it on BBC iPlayer… but I think that's only for UK viewers, so don't expect it to appear on BBC America. and quite frank I was surprised back then that BBC expanded itself from the UK to America in the first place. xD I don't think they keep the BBC America as updated with the latest stuff like the UK one. So probably by the time you watch Doctor Who on BBC America it'll probably appear a week or so after.

I'm huge fan of Doctor Who, and I really like the new series that's yet to come! :3

Sparky15756
02-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Usually if you wait long enough you can just watch it on BBC iPlayer… but I think that's only for UK viewers, so don't expect it to appear on BBC America. and quite frank I was surprised back then that BBC expanded itself from the UK to America in the first place. xD I don't think they keep the BBC America as updated with the latest stuff like the UK one. So probably by the time you watch Doctor Who on BBC America it'll probably appear a week or so after.

I'm huge fan of Doctor Who, and I really like the new series that's yet to come! :3

Aye, BBC iPlayer is UK only but if you can find a site that streams shows then you'd be in luck :3

ShadWolf
02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Aye, BBC iPlayer is UK only but if you can find a site that streams shows then you'd be in luck :3

The only way I know of being able to watch stuff on the BBC iPlayer you need either proxy or VPN. My cousin over in Australia uses VPN to watch stuff on BBC iPlayer. ^_^

Nightpaws
02-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Supposedly the US episodes are shown in America on the same day/night. I've no idea what channel it's on however they've done it pretty much all the way through the Matt Smith episodes. On the plus it's kept the BBC America and BBC UK exclusives pretty much in sync throughout each season :)

Thistle
02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Supposedly the US episodes are shown in America on the same day/night. I've no idea what channel it's on however they've done it pretty much all the way through the Matt Smith episodes. On the plus it's kept the BBC America and BBC UK exclusives pretty much in sync throughout each season :)

That's correct. It definitely beats before, when we had to either pirate or wait weeks to see it on SciFi/Syfy.

Roasvo
02-18-2013, 03:36 AM
I see some talk in here about great episodes that showcase the series, but there's an episode I consider very important that I haven't seen listed:

The Girl in the Fireplace

I think it wraps up all the magic, comedy, and majesty of Dr. Who in a neatly messy bundle.
And for things to talk about in Classic Who:

City of Death

What starts as a simple art heist and scam steamrolls into full blown Douglas Adams mayhem including a visit to Greece, chickens turning into eggs, and humanity getting punched into existence by someone who, unfortunately, didn't become a permanent companion...

And on the topic of favorite doctors, I'm a fan of Pertwee and his childish repertoire of pranks with The Master. though, that could change as I get into the later series. There isn't enough time in the year for Classic Who.

MarcusStarkiller
02-19-2013, 12:46 AM
It's hard to believe that it's been almost two years since we lost Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) and Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart). Doctor Who won't be the same without them.

ShadWolf
02-19-2013, 01:21 AM

When Doctor Who airs in the UK they have it BBC One @ 7:00 PM (GMT+00)

Nightpaws
03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
20 Days to go! Excited much? :3

Sparky15756
03-10-2013, 10:36 PM

I've got Formula One to start with, so I'm good :P

Thistle
03-13-2013, 12:24 AM

Yesssss, oh my yes. TV (at least in the US) is boring as hell most of the of year, so with both DW and Game of Thrones returning at the end of March (and Defiance premiering in April), I'll be freaking elated 8V

On that note, still not sure about the newest companion, but I'm sure she'll manage to grow on me, like the others.

Wachhund
03-15-2013, 10:15 PM
I love Dr Who.
But Im waiting for new episodes on FOX ^^'

rbartrop
03-16-2013, 12:46 AM
I started with John Pertwee, thought I'd have to say my favourite old school Doctor is Sylvester McCoy. Definitely looking forward to the new season.

obliviousally
04-20-2013, 06:52 PM
I just recently started watching and I'm only partway through Ten's first season and the whole forced relationship with Ten/Rose is really getting old. I kind of can't wait until she leaves. I like he well enough as a character on her own and I can buy her falling in love with the Doctor, but I can't buy the Doctor reciprocating the feelings. I hear I'm in a minority with that, however.

I loved Nine, though. So very much and I'm sad he only had one season, he was so snarky and great.

Aokamidu
04-21-2013, 03:16 AM
Christopher Eccelstone retired because he didn't want to be typecast as just "the guy who played the Doctor", like Tom Baker before him. Ecclestone has been in numerous theatrical, one-off television and radio productions in the UK, as have (and has) his successors David Tennant and Matt Smith. I don't blame Ecclestone for the decision - you've got to be versatile to survive in the UK's media.

Anyway, that said, I think American fans of Dr Who will be in for a treat once Moffat's series gets underway there. It's very... well, you'll see for yourselves; very glitzy and blockbustery and almost... film-like, yes. Alas, I found the show went in a direction I didn't like last year and I've since given up on it. I don't know how well the 50th Anniversary episode (which airs here in the autumn) will translate over there but we'll see.

Oh and FYI, Dr Who airs here at 6.45 on Saturday nights, which over here is primetime. It used to be later but got shifted earlier because of The Voice (the BBC's answer to Britain's Got [No] Talent; I believe it's America's Got Talent over there or did it get cancelled?). And for reasons I don't understand, they started doing the American thing of having "mid-season hiatuses", so 8 episodes in spring and then 8 in the autumn. Meh. Whatever works.

Lucy Bones
08-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Capaldi is one of the cutest Doctors yet. I can't wait.

Foschia
08-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Doctor Who is by far my most favorite show! Though I've only recently gotten into it about a year or so ago, I've already watched all of the old ones and I'm not caught up with the new one. I'm on season six, and Matt Smith's hair is probably my favorite part of the show. LOL

rbartrop
08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
What's people's opinion of the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi? My first impression is a more old-school Doctor like John Pertwee. Not a bad thing at all.

Aokamidu
11-06-2013, 04:51 AM
I think I'm going to play it safe and wait for Capaldi's tenure on Dr Who to begin before forming an opinion about him as the Doctor. The only thing I know about him playing a main character was a political satire here known as The Thick Of It, which I didn't really care for. That said, Capaldi has been in a number of (UK-native) productions and he has directed 9 slice-of-life episodes of the drama Getting On so I'm rather quietly optimistic about Capaldi's acting prowess or understanding of character.

The only thing I really want from the 2014 series is a more humanised relatable version of Clara (if she has to be in it) and less self-referencing beyond the 50th Anniversary episode; it's too alienating for people who only got into Dr Who from 2005 onwards.

Anyway, to end on a positive note (depending on your viewpoint), here's something definitely confirmed for Dr Who 2014: http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8204-doctor-who-vastra-jenny-and-strax-back-in-series-8