PDA

View Full Version : New TMNT trailer is out. Thoughts?

BrazenBull
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjsWpM9zFU

Looks like a pretty fun movie to me. Perhaps a little too dark, but that's what the tide has turned to I suppose.

Krespo
03-27-2014, 03:01 PM
YESYESYES

My fanboy is excited most arousedly.

Maolfunction
03-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Am I the only one here expecting this to be trash? :c

BrazenBull
03-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Am I the only one here expecting this to be trash? :c

Not by a longshot. Long story short, the majority of the other comics, cartoons, and such board I frequent are absolutely hating the trailer and concept.

QT Melon
03-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Well unlike the Transformers you might actually be able to tell them apart after inception - explosions

But I will leave this here since the whole reason I enjoyed the Turtles was due to the fact they are underground heroes

http://io9.com/why-does-every-story-have-to-be-an-earth-shattering-epi-1488997567

Maolfunction
03-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Not by a longshot. Long story short, the majority of the other comics, cartoons, and such board I frequent are absolutely hating the trailer and concept.
I don't mind the concept, but this barely even resembles the source material. And I never even really watched or read TMNT. I just get the feeling Bay is going to completely miss the atmosphere and what made TMNT such a fun show by inserting his own blend of, well, Hollywood. When I look at the turtles, I don't see the same characters from the show. But, I hate sounding purist because if Bay makes them more interesting than carbon cut outs, I won't care how far he deviates from the source.

I just have very low expectations he'll do that. But I also don't want to judge it before I see it, so I'll just go in with my low expectations and maybe be pleasantly surprised.

Term
03-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Their faces look a TAD odd. They look more like ogres than turtles, but they don't look awful. :<
Bay movie, but for some reason, I don't see this being terrible.

Their faces look weird because Bay went through the Hollywood Surplus Bin and found a bunch of those Goomba masks from the original Mario brothers movie and said "PERFECT!"

Vae
03-27-2014, 05:04 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/8e87dd500e4085caf27e3cbd5eb1342f/tumblr_n33z5pFxuP1qzrlhgo1_500.jpg

I actually saw this before I saw the trailer, and... ew.

The movie, itself, seems very generic Hollywood.
Like you could switch it out with any other modern action movie, and you couldn't tell a single difference besides some of the names.
Based on that, alone, I feel pretty "meh" about it.

QT Melon
03-27-2014, 05:15 PM
New meme material for creeper face :p

SirCoffeecup
03-27-2014, 07:20 PM
I think this looks awful.
I'm not a big fan of the green turtles, but this seems like it's taking a piss at the fans.
Seriously, they do look like ogres, and not in a good way. Someone has to tell me it's a turtle, otherwise I wouldn't know.
I could already see those lens flare and screen effects Bay loves. I can only speculate how much it will be in every scene.
The new Star Treks thought it was a good idea to blind the viewers, and Bay loves that stuff too much himself as seen in the TransFarmers.
I'll give this a pass.

Frank LeRenard
03-27-2014, 07:30 PM
I've been a big TMNT fan since a very young age, and I still am to some degree, but I've never watched a good Michael Bay movie. So I have no reason to expect this will be any different than his usual obnoxious bullshit. The fact that this trailer starts with a goddamned building falling apart already tells me that this will have very little if not nothing to set it apart from any of his other garbage.

So only if by some miracle people give this good reviews will I consider watching it, TMNT or no. I just don't want to give my money to help support his particular brand of film-making. Call me a snob or whatever, but I need a little more than explosions and juvenile boob-and-dick humor to carry me through a whole movie.

BrazenBull
03-27-2014, 08:02 PM
I've been a big TMNT fan since a very young age, and I still am to some degree, but I've never watched a good Michael Bay movie. So I have no reason to expect this will be any different than his usual obnoxious bullshit. The fact that this trailer starts with a goddamned building falling apart already tells me that this will have very little if not nothing to set it apart from any of his other garbage.

So only if by some miracle people give this good reviews will I consider watching it, TMNT or no. I just don't want to give my money to help support his particular brand of film-making. Call me a snob or whatever, but I need a little more than explosions and juvenile boob-and-dick humor to carry me through a whole movie.

It's funny you mention that. I read somewhere that the "big blockbuster mega trillions" move trend is actually constructing it's own downfall. These movies are just getting too big to sustain themselves. That, and CGI dates itself terribly. I mean, look at Avatar. It came out in 2009, right? already it looks dated and kinda silly.

sassySloth
03-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Isn't Bay directing it though? Yeeah I won't hold my breath.

Batty Krueger
03-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Omg that looks terrible.
Glad I'm an OG Turtles fan, those faces are what nighmares are made of.

Battlechili1
03-27-2014, 09:58 PM
One of my friends thinks the trailer looks awful. I'm going to wait and see myself. I don't think it looks bad or good. I'll watch the movie when it comes out and see what I think then.

QT Melon
03-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Isn't Bay directing it though? Yeeah I won't hold my breath.

No, he is just the producer.

But they sure as hell made sure everyone knows complete with obnoxious Vvvvraaaaaaaaaan sound effects

Also, cannot unsee

http://i.imgur.com/MWK3ng5.png

QT Melon
03-27-2014, 11:51 PM
There's some funny parallels with Avatar the Last Airbender and TMNT...

AineCleine
03-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Most of Bay movies are that type of entertainment that you will enjoy the first time you see it but it won´t leave a mark or a need for you to see it again *insert comparison here*. In other words, forgettable. I enjoyed Transformers 1 thought.

The problem for me is the designs. Those turtles really look like Shrek´s long lost brothers to me (Thanks QTMelon)

QT Melon
03-28-2014, 10:26 AM
I actually don't mind them having nose holes, it means they can breathe. The lips don't quite work even though the turtles...well have teeth.

Nattles
03-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Michael Bay

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii505/Nattlestuff/Troy-scream_zpsb2375cda.gif

No, he is just the producer.

But they sure as hell made sure everyone knows complete with obnoxious Vvvvraaaaaaaaaan sound effects

Also, cannot unsee

http://i.imgur.com/MWK3ng5.png

This gave me a genuine chuckle, thanks!

BrazenBull
03-28-2014, 03:18 PM
I would imagine the same reason they gave the turtles those soft pillowy lips was to make lip sync easier on the animators. Same reason the Lizard from the last spiderman movie had that weird flat face. Still, it kinda looks "off".

Rory
03-28-2014, 04:13 PM
I've never seen a Michael Bay produced movie, and it doesn't look like I'm going to start now. I'll keep my TMNT arcade and old cartoons nostalgia instead of modern day productions like this one.

QT Melon
03-28-2014, 04:50 PM
The Shredder and Splinter aren't even Japanese anymore. Eric Sachs... really?!?

SirCoffeecup
03-28-2014, 09:33 PM
I would imagine the same reason they gave the turtles those soft pillowy lips was to make lip sync easier on the animators. Same reason the Lizard from the last spiderman movie had that weird flat face. Still, it kinda looks "off".
I REALLY disliked the lizard from the movie.
He was my fave antagonist in the spoodermane universe, but they totally ruined him.
This is the lizardman I grew up liking.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/123390/2906246-lizard.jpg

Hollywood ruins comic heroes and villains, TMNT is their newest victim.

RMC
03-29-2014, 06:43 AM
I'm actually ok with how the Turtles look. I know i'm in the minority on this but hear me out.

I knew they were gonna look different. I wasn't holding my breath and honestly? This could have been WAY worse then it was.

As far the movie goes I can't and won't say if it's going to be bad as of right now as I'm reserving my judgment for when the film comes out. If it turns out to be good, I'm all for it. If it turns out to be bad? Eh, whatever. It'll probably be as bad as the other stinkers I've seen. :P

What i'm far more upset about is Megan Fox being cast as April O'Neil.
OUT OF ALL THE ACTRESSES THEY COULD HAVE CHOSEN.
THEY
CHOSE
MEGAN
FOX.

With that said, I'll be impressed if she doesn't stick up this film with her attempts at acting. If she can kill it, i'll be impressed.

I wanna add I also though that Sarah Silverman was gonna be awful in Wreck-It Ralph.

I ain't afraid to be wrong.

QT Melon
03-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Every scene without the Turtles looks like it was footage for Transformers.

And it is worse, they once again Whitewashed characters, especially the Shredder.

Also, I think uncanny valley is a problem if something is so hideous they're driving people away.

Are the turtles really Onions?

HjpmQ4EpTSc

Oddly enough the toys look less hideous than their CG counterparts they're based from, except for the fact I think that one dude from Beatlejuice came and shrunk Raph's head

http://comicsalliance.com/playmates-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2014-movie-action-figure-images/

They're still ugly, but not scarey like the CG in that movie.

Krespo
03-29-2014, 08:05 AM
Let's face it, mutant turtle creatures were never going to be handsome.

spacerogue
03-29-2014, 09:47 AM
first thoughts on seeing the trailer was 'Uncanny vally much'

I can get the nose, but the eyes are way to human for my liking, not to mention LIPS and those presteen clean teeth that just look toony oO;

Zeitzbach
03-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Bay movie. Nuff said.

Retconning characters all day.

Batty Krueger
03-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Most of Bay movies are that type of entertainment that you will enjoy the first time you see it but it won´t leave a mark or a need for you to see it again *insert comparison here*. In other words, forgettable. I enjoyed Transformers 1 thought.

The problem for me is the designs. Those turtles really look like Shrek´s long lost brothers to me (Thanks QTMelon)

They sure did orc up those poor turtles.
"I don't like turdles"

Frank LeRenard
03-29-2014, 11:14 AM

I guess I'd have to wonder if it this isn't just another artifact of laziness? I mean, you know, don't get me wrong: it takes a lot of effort (a LOT) to do CGI like this in any context, but I seem to recall that in Avatar they basically had a setup where they could just digitize the actors after filming them acting normally, right down to facial muscles and everything else. Back then it was a huge innovation and was used to great effect, but I don't know, maybe by now other studios have picked up on the technology and are using it to make things a little cheaper and easier? Because yeah, I agree that I would have liked a Lizard in that Spiderman movie to look more like a lizard, and here I would like to see turtles that actually look like turtles. BUT, if it's easier to just film your actors hooked up to a bunch of sensors and then animate over it later (like a modern version of rotoscoping, I guess), maybe this is the new trend. Our actors our human, so we'll just make all the characters look more human.

And I only suspect this because it's Michael Bay, who isn't known for giving too much thought to any aspect of film-making (I don't care who the director actually is... it's Michael Bay). If it were anyone else I would say `well, they're just going for a more realistic "mutant" look, a human-turtle hybrid kind of thing, hence the lips and human eyes and whatnot'. But with him it's like, it's gotta' be something to do with laziness.

Let's face it, mutant turtle creatures were never going to be handsome.
I don't know... I thought this (http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/149660/2904454-TMNT-2003-TQ.jpg) was all right.

QT Melon
03-30-2014, 09:42 AM
JVz1xgXX8Ss

Gotta love people's reactions...

But really, TMNT was a silly nod to comic books like Daredevil, and was really more Lilo and Stitch in its messages than superhero epic...

Batty Krueger
03-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Lol, that was hilarious.
I saw the tmnt movie in theaters back in the day. All of them actually.

QT Melon
03-30-2014, 01:02 PM
I am a big TMNT fan, I just didn't get into all the comics, cept for the Eastman and Laird Graphic novels that were out. It did start with the 80's show and then when the live action movie came out I was curious because it was mentioned it was closer to the comics. I enjoyed the darkness and goofiness of the comics.

Shredder was never intended to be a major antagonist, but he has such a badass costume and tied so heavily into the origin...I guess shows and movies couldn't help themselves.

I really wished he had stayed dead and maybe brought in Kirai with the 2nd live action movie. The third...we can forget about and that Fox live action one too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/TMNTShredderComic.jpg

I don't understand why they needed to whitewash Shredder. I really liked the fact that you had this really big grudge. Depending on the origin you like, whether it was Saki needing to avenge his brother after a duel over a woman, or Saki hating the fact that he lost out to Yoshi over the love of a woman, it always pushed a bit of a family story. It was also pretty brutal since in the originals the final end of Shredder was decapitation by Leonardo.

QT Melon
04-14-2014, 09:16 AM
There was a new spot that showed the back of Splinter, and apparently he's still a rat, but you don't get to see the front.

LKj86rl4gPQ

Billy MT
04-14-2014, 09:33 AM
8mEGcrkDAX0
tT32-xBpBbk
ADEKPhCSNcg
-UqDJ5Nantk

SirCoffeecup
04-14-2014, 10:24 AM
I loved the first and the second spoof.

Digitalpotato
04-15-2014, 11:23 AM
I haven't seen it - I know better than to stick my nose in crap and complain that it stinks.

QT Melon
04-16-2014, 02:52 PM
I haven't seen it - I know better than to stick my nose in crap and complain that it stinks.

The movie isn't out yet. People were giving thoughts based on the trailer to see what direction it was going to instead of just basing it off gossip and assumptions.

Digitalpotato
04-17-2014, 03:12 PM
^ I was talking about the trailer.

QT Melon
04-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Still applies

Vahn_Vega
04-24-2014, 04:26 AM
I hope they fix the faces, they look too human and it looks odd on them. Also have a problem with a white guy playing as Shredder, and Megan Fox as April O' Neal. I fear what they might have done with Splinter.

QT Melon
04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
I hope they fix the faces, they look too human and it looks odd on them. Also have a problem with a white guy playing as Shredder, and Megan Fox as April O' Neal. I fear what they might have done with Splinter.

I doubt that is going to happen. It is pretty much done. To redo the CG is expensive

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8978-Destined-for-Disappointment-Part-1?hq=1

TheMysteriousL
04-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Iii think it's gonna be terrible, and I'm gonna stick with the current TV show for my TMNT Needs.