PDA

View Full Version : Why Your Concept Art Portfolio is Being Ignored (part 1)

Tiamat
03-26-2014, 02:56 PM
More tips for aspiring professional artists, from professional artists.

http://chrisoatley.com/concept-art-portfolio-p1/

The article also has some very useful links at the end.

Zombimatic
03-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Well, I graduated 5 months ago and I still got no job, and mostly it's because most companies want to hire people "with experience"
so I decided to create my own opportunies and do a movie on my own with my gf.

QT Melon
03-26-2014, 07:13 PM
It is a shame when people don't read the article, it provided some insightful advice I agree with. A lot of fantastically rendered art has been looking the same.

insanejoker
03-26-2014, 07:24 PM
In regards to research:
This applies to EVERYTHING. Visual and non-visual. In my script book, the author recommends learning about some subjects by offering lunch or something to a person of the subject you need to learn more about. The person in charge of choreographing the battle moves in The Last Airbender was approached because one of the creators saw he had a passion, and after getting to know him in some classes, asked if he'd like to be part of creating each bender's specific style. Never be afraid to ask a person about a specific subject, you know never what will happen :)

And take advantage of the library. :D

Very nice article!

EDIT: And with the '5 years experience' thing, yes, this can be a block. I run into this a lot myself, but I do know that if your work is good enough and you show promise, then the lack of professional experience will be ignored. I'm focusing on doing fun things for myself and whatnot, and I'm hoping it becomes more promising in the job hunt then trying to show what everyone else shows (which, according to this article is what I should be doing anyway!).

lorenith
03-26-2014, 07:35 PM
I think this article is pretty well on point, although I wish it had a bit more meat on it, I guess all the articles it links to probably fulfill that quite well, I only looked at a couple of those (there's so many!)

I wonder what will be shared in part 2.