PDA

View Full Version : A Breakdown of Our Finances!

Judicant
08-30-2012, 12:16 PM
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4355/tumblrm9hpwu6owm1qem7zx.png

One thing we hope to achieve with Weasyl is to run a site that people can trust. Many organizations keep their finances under lock and key, but we would like to share where the money we’ve received so far and in the future will be going.

We raised $6,015 during our IndieGoGo fundraiser, well above our $5,000 goal, with $4,262 of that amount contributed by non-staff members. After deducting the fees IndieGoGo collected we have $5,527 to get our site up and running. Since the fundraiser ended, we have acquired a vBulletin license and are currently using Amazon Web Services for hosting (a more cost-effective and flexible hosting solution than the purchase of our own hardware, the original intention of our fundraiser goal) and planning to switch to AYKsolutions. Soon, we will also be acquiring a Credit Card Processor and a Merchant Services Vendor, which will ideally cost us very little. Given the options we currently have on the table, we can comfortably say we are in a good position to be able to provide uninterrupted, quality service to our users for months to come.

The fundraiser has been a great first step in acquiring services needed for Weasyl’s operation, but to continue towards this end we will be offering a subscription service for our users. Not only will premium users have access to features which enhance their Weasyl experience, but we will acquire additional funding which we will use to provide a quality experience for all our users for years to come without worrying over service failures due to lack of funding. Subscriptions will be broken into three pricing options, with a built-in discount for buying a larger subscription. The amounts are as follows:

$4 per month
$12 per 4 months
$32 per 12 months

All the money we have gained with the fundraiser, or will gain with the subscriptions, will be reinvested into Weasyl, and the capital which has not already been allocated to hosting, licensing, and other services will be put into savings so that we may invest in higher bandwidth, merchandise, or other features as needed.

None of what we hope to achieve would have been possible without the massive support we have received. We proudly look forward to providing outstanding service with Weasyl and we hope to continue working with the community for years to come!

If you like what you see here, feel free to visit our tumblr (http://weasyl.tumblr.com/post/30524461182/a-breakdown-of-our-finances) and reblog our posts!
Or check us out on twitter (http://twitter.com/weasyl/status/241203901490135040) and facebook (http://www.facebook.com/Weasyl/posts/347022965383402)

Latiro
08-30-2012, 03:46 PM
that's awesome to hear about that! I hope things go well upon beta launch

Demu
08-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Good good good! I love how open you guys are about progress and pretty much everything. Congratulations on your success!

Cheers!

Tiger
08-30-2012, 07:41 PM
This thread is so comforting. I am so glad to know that the money will be well-spent and not abused. And it's wonderful to see how truly thought out this site is and your sheer dedication to your users. I'm totally going for a premium because for that price, it's worth it. Keep up the great work c:

Ikani
09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
How much does a given AWS node cost, anyhow? And how many users do you think a given node will support? Trying to get an idea of how much "funding per user" you'll need. :)

GingerM
09-15-2012, 03:34 PM
At the risk of sounding like an utter idiot, I saw references in another thread to donations of $5 or $20.00? Or was that for supporting the forums? I'm really not very clear on how closely the forums and the main site are/will be coupled; my only experience of a similar thing is FurAffinity, where the forums seem almost a separate entity from the actual art site?

I see there's a donation button here which allows donations through PayPal; is that for the forums or the main site or both? Also, will PayPal be an available option for purchasing premium membership? Thank you.

Fiz
09-15-2012, 03:52 PM
At the risk of sounding like an utter idiot, I saw references in another thread to donations of $5 or $20.00? Or was that for supporting the forums? I'm really not very clear on how closely the forums and the main site are/will be coupled; my only experience of a similar thing is FurAffinity, where the forums seem almost a separate entity from the actual art site?

I see there's a donation button here which allows donations through PayPal; is that for the forums or the main site or both? Also, will PayPal be an available option for purchasing premium membership? Thank you.

It's for both in a way. If you donate $5, you get an invite to the site once it launches. If you donate $20, you get premium membership on the site AND the forums.

I'm not 100% sure in reference to paypal being an option for premium membership purchase in the future. Right now that is how it works, but we're shopping around for CC processors and stuff. I'd imagine most CC processors allow paypal as an option but like I said, I can't say with 100% certainty that it will.