PDA

View Full Version : Kill La Kill

Battlechili1
03-17-2014, 01:57 AM
I feel like a thread for Kill La Kill is LONG overdue (especially considering how close it is to ending at this point), but I felt like making one.

For those of you who don't know, Kill La Kill is an anime created by Trigger, a pretty new animation company that split off from Gainax, another Japanese animation company. Kill La Kill is about this girl named Ryuko Matoi who goes off to a highschool that in a way runs part of the country in an attempt to find a missing half of a weapon she weilds: Half a pair of scissors. Weilding one scissor blade, she must fight her way to the top of the academy using clothes that make her stronger and find out where the other scissor blade is. But there's a problem: The school's student council, known as the Elite Four, also weilds powerful clothes that upgrade the power of the wearer.
And then the show gets a whole lot more crazy and complicated.

Its a really good show, and I've been enjoying the heck out of it.
It starts off really silly with some cool action scenes each episode and eventually becomes this serious over-the-top action fest where each fight seems like one of the biggest game-changing battles yet. And yet, it doesn't forget to keep some of its humor, as one can never let things get too serious right? In any case, its a blast to watch and the bad guys are real threatening. The show also offers a cool stylish art style done by the same guy who did Gurren Lagann (in fact the series is directed by the same guy who directed Gurren Lagann, I believe) and a soundtrack done by the same guy who did Attack On Titan's soundtrack. So in other words, the music is great, the art is great, the action is intense...Heck, the story gets pretty wild in the later part of the series with twists galore. I love it.

So have any of you been watching Kill La Kill? How you liking it so far? Have a favorite character? (Mine is Jakuzure)
How do you all feel about its shift in tone as the series progressed?

How do you think its going to end? Last episode I can remember watching Ryuko ripped off those clothes that were sowed to her body and regained sanity. Think she can take on the evil cute girl, finish her (killing her seems to be near impossible), and then somehow beat that other woman trying to help clothes take over the world?

Ouiji
03-17-2014, 03:29 AM
I am watching this show, am still in the silly part probably, and I would have to say my favorite character is Aikuro. The needles as weapons thing appeals to me, and his organization just made me laugh so hard.

Zeitzbach
03-17-2014, 03:49 AM
It has as much plots as the amount of clothing the main characters wear while in combat.

I really like it action wise but yeh, that's pretty much it. Kind of the same treatment for AoT. You know that it's going to follow the same usual "MC wins and saves the world in the end" so you just focus on the humors and actions it will be offering instead.

Fav char is without a doubt, Nonon.

athdaraxen
03-17-2014, 07:59 PM
This show makes me so happy. <3 I watched it on a whim because it sounded cool and have been hooked ever since. Its so close to the end and its so exciting! I can't wait to see what happens. :D

Vae
03-17-2014, 09:54 PM
I really want to watch it, but the straight up punch-in-the-face fanservicey aspects gross me out way too much, from everything I've seen of it in gifs and such.

Willow
03-17-2014, 10:22 PM
I've been meaning to at least give KLK a try but eh, there's something about it that just turns me off from it and I can't exactly tell what it is.

Batty Krueger
03-17-2014, 10:30 PM
So much anime so little time.

athdaraxen
03-17-2014, 11:06 PM
I really want to watch it, but the straight up punch-in-the-face fanservicey aspects gross me out way too much, from everything I've seen of it in gifs and such.

I'm like this too but at least they give a decent reason for it. X3
There is enough action and story for me to be able to look past it.

athdaraxen
03-18-2014, 07:38 AM
There's actually way more naked dudes than skimpily dressed chicks. There's a teacher who's always posing like a gay stripper with glowing nipples and his clothes fall off any chance they get.

Its hilarious. X3

SirCoffeecup
03-18-2014, 09:39 AM
There's actually way more naked dudes than skimpily dressed chicks. There's a teacher who's always posing like a gay stripper with glowing nipples and his clothes fall off any chance they get.
You say this as if it was a good thing :U

I tried watching this show. I got in to the third episode or so, but that's when I got fed up with all the fanservice. It was quite awful.
It's the same reason I skipped Strike witches. Apparently it is good, and from the little I've heard, the sound world is great, but with pantsu shots every other frame, I just couldn't watch it.
Fanservice ruins anime :c

Goggles
03-18-2014, 05:30 PM
I've quite enjoy KLK even with the amount of 'fanservice' it has. To me it's different than say Highschool of the Dead where the panty shots and boob service was in your face and intended to illicit a reaction from a generally male audience. KLK uses nudity and skimpiness to at least further the plot and doesn't stop at just having females be the ones in the skimpy outfits. It's also pretty self-aware of that fanservice/nudity and how ridiculous it is within the character interactions which is rare to see in any show.

Fanservice-like anime is usually hit-or-miss for me and KLK is a hit. And with a lot of the super obvious fanservice moments come off as comedic in how they're presented and animated most of the time.

I also thoroughly enjoy the animation (which to me is not surprise since I loved TTGL and Little Witch Academia as well) and the character design. And I'm happy the story picked up and became an actual plot UwU

Benny Bunnycorn
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
I really have to wonder. How does Kill La Kill stack up against their other anime, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Is the humor the same or similar? I haven't watched Kill La Kill, yet, but I'm not sure if I want to. Cause honestly, I did not like TTGL. ...At all.

Goggles
03-18-2014, 06:50 PM
I really have to wonder. How does Kill La Kill stack up against their other anime, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Is the humor the same or similar? I haven't watched Kill La Kill, yet, but I'm not sure if I want to. Cause honestly, I did not like TTGL. ...At all.

They run in the same/similar 'make everything as over the top ['epic'] as we can make it' vein of storytelling/humour. While TTGL is it's own off-shoot of Earth world, KLK is in a more modern day setting. The humour (in KLK) relies more on the self-awareness I mentioned in my post of what is being displayed (nudity/skimpy outfits) and is more abrupt in a sense than TTGL was (something funny will happen extremely quickly and end quickly and resume what was happening initially). I haven't watched TTGL in a while but I don't think it relied too much on gags or humour, it was more action and story-focused throughout it's run. The only times I can remember that it really focused on gag humour was the bathhouse episode.

KLK starts out more humour/little plot focused and starts to ease up a bit on the gags and focus on plot. It has a story to tell but it comes off initially as very simple and as what I'd guess people would call an excuse to show off [half] naked people every episode, around half-way through is where we start to see the world and character motivations develop more and it starts going fast, not in a terribly paced fast, but everything happens more quickly than before (goes from kind of episodic to this episode will lead into this episode in an important way).

tl;dr - both have 'over the top' action/story/humour, KLK humour is on self-awareness of being full of fanservice between characters while TTGL humour is just regular conversational humour between characters