PDA

View Full Version : Furry Conlangers?

IndigoTheFennec
03-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Hi, I know there's a very low chance of any being here, but are there any conlangers gracing this forum?

Ouiji
03-09-2014, 06:43 AM
At the risk of sounding silly, you're referring to someone that makes a language right?

IndigoTheFennec
03-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Yes I am. X3

Hewge
03-09-2014, 09:28 AM
What's the difference between furry conlangers and average conlangers? xP

Vae
03-09-2014, 11:34 AM
I like to make up languages.
Not furry-specific ones, though. Moreso just for worldbuilding in some stories that I play around with. They haven't really taken on a proper form, yet.

irick
03-09-2014, 01:05 PM
I used to.
I don't so much anymore, not enough time these days.

IndigoTheFennec
03-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Yeah, my language isn't furry-related either. X3 Although it's evolved drastically since I've started it, I've kept working the same one, called Cirese, for a little less than four years now. I have a huge lexicon built up for it, and for the most part I've gotten to where the lang is stable and doesn't have extreme changes.

What's the difference between furry conlangers and average conlangers? xP

*shrugs* I dunno, furry conlangers are conlangers who are furries? :P

Ouiji
03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
What are some of your favorite language influences and what characters (letters not persons XP) do you use?

IndigoTheFennec
03-09-2014, 06:02 PM
My conlang is essentially a fictional descendant of Latin, so it uses the Latin alphabet and thus is Romance at its core. It has considerable amount of influence from Spanish, as well, and my lexicon contains many words derived from Latin, Spanish, French, and Arabic. ^^

Ouiji
03-09-2014, 11:27 PM
That sounds pretty cool. You've got me thinking now, if I were to base a conlang off of a language, which one? Possibly a native north american language. Have you taken any linguistics classes? Just curious.

IndigoTheFennec
03-09-2014, 11:44 PM
That sounds pretty cool. You've got me thinking now, if I were to base a conlang off of a language, which one? Possibly a native north american language. Have you taken any linguistics classes? Just curious.

That sounds neat. ^^ Native American languages sound pretty interesting.

No, I haven't taken any, actually. Everything I've learned, I've done so pretty much on my own with the internet and occasionally other conlangers online to help me.

Here is my lexicon in its entirety. ^_^ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hETMs87L4lSnzGMQnUbUEqtKauNhFXxtH7dLMPf6wM0/edit?usp=docslist_api There are sure to be mistakes and errors, as well as entries I haven't finished, but I've added a lot of words since the document's creation.

BlackStatic
03-29-2014, 09:06 AM
EDIT: Very nice latin roots there, Indigo. Sounds quite poetic and lyrical.

---

Aa'n hiragaa'na et conlanger en Aa'bakoran, et sen spae'ktrae aa'n krae'sia en kiragaa'naka et Hallyaa'ra.
My connections as a conlanger are in Abakoran, seven years I've queried my academia in Hallyaa'ra.

I started writing the language to Hallyaa'ra's Southern desert region, Aa'bakor - homeland to my fursona - about five to seven years ago.

I'm not sure what inspired me as deeply as it did, actually, words just started spouting from my head and they all formed together in an alphabet, grammar, punctuation and pronunciation system that I can't really attribute to anything. I didn't just sit down and say "okay, time to think up a language" because it didn't happen like that - the world, and its language, came out of nowhere seemingly and then the muse to develop it came later.

I suppose you could say my most recent influences are Japanese, Polynesian and Indonesian. I know enough Japanese to get by on basic conversation, learnt and forgot a limited range of Indonesian in elementary/primary school (compulsory in Australia when I was a child) and during my time in New Zealand I was aiming to take an introductory course in Maori, so a lot of asian and islander cultures are my biggest factors in developing this language.

I also wanted a vowel and consonant system that would work with muzzles and nonhuman mouths, as the shape of the tongue lips and jaw - along with movement of these areas - would determine how words were formed. Consonants are similar to barks, growls and chirps, whereas vowels are like meows, howls and the like. However, the language would be catch-all for humans and furries - humans would just have an accent or romanized version of speech whereas furries would speak a more traditional version of the language.

I'm probably rambling a bit here, but yes, I do create languages. I hardly consider myself a researched linguist though, just someone who likes to string nice sounds together and create worlds for those languages.

Tapeworm
04-03-2014, 04:38 AM
I have a few languages l've made, right now most of my focus is on one called Zadu.
I'm not sure what to say about it other than all my languages are for my worldbuilding and I started on Zadu when I was 16.

I'm so happy to have found this thread

avan
04-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Oh cool, conlanguages! I've been into this for a bit.

I've got a rough shell of one for the Vaalsark [my skryim race mod] (still working on developing it further, to help with nomenclature and culture specific terms). I also have another (Azarian currently on revision 9.2) which is an oligosynthetic language sporting 16x4 base terms - this was meant for use with a transhuman/posthuman/post-singularity society. Lastly, I was conceptualizing a very simple language specifically set up to allow a dog's (or other canine) vocal chords to vocalize the words, with the intent it could potentially allow for some basic communication.

Personally, one of my favorite parts is making fonts >.> That's mostly just because I get carried away there..

IndigoTheFennec
04-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Oh cool, conlanguages! I've been into this for a bit.

Lastly, I was conceptualizing a very simple language specifically set up to allow a dog's (or other canine) vocal chords to vocalize the words, with the intent it could potentially allow for some basic communication.

Huh, that's really interesting! :O

EDIT: Very nice latin roots there, Indigo. Sounds quite poetic and lyrical.

Thank you!

TheMysteriousL
04-28-2014, 02:22 PM
I like conlanguing (? Is that right?), but have no real idea how.

IndigoTheFennec
04-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Close; it's "conlanging."