PDA

View Full Version : Why No One Likes Your Art: 26 Reasons

Tiamat
03-05-2014, 10:22 AM
http://www.redlemonclub.com/brand-you/why-no-one-likes-your-art-26-reasons/?utm_content=bufferae03c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

An excellent article that might give some insight to struggling artists.

Hewge
03-05-2014, 11:02 AM
You mean I need to have a life to make interesting draws?

...There's no hope now.

QT Melon
03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Good stuff, I was about to say something about 20 but he brought it back to point with 23

Damian
03-05-2014, 01:58 PM
I like the point about just doing instead of thinking too much on it. Looking back, i realize that most of my best and/or favorites were because i just did something then built from that.

Vae
03-05-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm so glad that I don't care about marketing myself, because I think focusing on this much stuff would just absolutely destroy any enjoyment I would get out of the hobby, whatsoever.

I wouldn't want to touch art with a stick, with my eyes closed.

insanejoker
03-05-2014, 02:51 PM
I struggle with 2 a lot. I find myself wanting to draw what people want to see vs. what I want to draw sometimes, but starting to rediscover what I like and what I want. It might bend more towards the horror / darker / more morbid side, but that's more me than cutesy things, which is why 6 is also harming me.

This was really insightful. I've been really trying to rediscover 'myself' and whatnot. A few others I cannot remedy due to my living situation, but I'll try :D

Infestissumam
03-05-2014, 03:15 PM
They forgot "It isn't fan art"

Damian
03-05-2014, 03:20 PM
They forgot "It isn't fan art"
No. They just didn't outright say it. Quite a few things apply to fanart

Bri Mercedes
03-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Aw man, those area all great tips! I relate to more of them than I should. Thank you for posting this.

Moogle
03-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Jeez, some of these really got me thinking. A good eye opener though, especially some of the ones labeled near the end. Thank you for this!

You mean I need to have a life to make interesting draws?

...There's no hope now.

Ahaha! So much this xD! I lock myself up in my room like literally everyday, I guess that can show through ones art.

certifiedkowaidad
03-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Some good bits, but many seem contradictory. Alex would do well to define the audience for this piece as well. He seems to be talking to nascent career illustrators rather than "artists." A "targeted decision-making process" toward "leading the trends" for your "end users" are not desirable characteristics in art. They're desirable in commercial design.

And to that point, #8, "it's not fashionable," seems to contradict itself most glaringly. Don't follow fashions, but also, don't make anything unfashionable? Okay, got it. Makes sense. Further, he advises against doing what's popular and instead being a trendsetter; not many people get to be trendsetters. If you're getting art lessons from a blog on the Internet called "Why No One Likes Your Art," you're probably not one of these people.

AliceMaple
03-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Most of those points listed were actually nice bits of advice. I should keep some in mind the next time I actually try drawing something.

Zeitzbach
03-05-2014, 11:41 PM
I had to go back and clear my folder because of this.

Now if only FA has an actual folder system that doesn't involve me deleting..

oh wait, not like that place recommends more stuffs or "more like this from you" anyway so I can just leave them there. No one really looks past page 3 unless it's from someone insanely pro.

AineCleine
03-06-2014, 01:16 AM
There are some pretty valid points (thought plenty come by themselves with practice and asking for advice like learning color balance and composition). You gotta learn and take your time with stuff, see the mistakes and learn from them. Plenty can get summed up in one since some are quite redundant.

19 and 20 summarizes why I would be a terrible artist. 24 just kills me, lol. Pretty amazing article thought, really insightful.

Python Blue
03-06-2014, 09:28 AM
While it does give me SOME insight as to what I'm doing wrong with exposure for my music, frankly, I wish it spoke more about how to correct the problems instead of focusing on identifying them.

QT Melon
03-06-2014, 10:05 AM
While it does give me SOME insight as to what I'm doing wrong with exposure for my music, frankly, I wish it spoke more about how to correct the problems instead of focusing on identifying them.

I believe part of learning how to create art you learn how to correct the problems. After all you get better at art because you've learned to identify problems and correct them after all the mistakes you make.