PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Thread (The cartoon, not the movie :P)

Kazekai
08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I just finished streaming the entire ATLA series for some friends and we're going to start Korra soon so I figured since I'm in that kind of mood, I'd start a thread about the series, which is honestly my favorite series on TV at the moment. (Still not worth reactivating cable over though. :P)

So, apparently the new season of Korra starts in April, The Promise is still in production, and the creators are still trolling the fanbase with Tumblr updates.

Any thoughts?

Raevis
08-23-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm still curious just how Korra is gonna segway into a second season. XD But I'll hold off on talking about that.

As a whole, I like the whole series. :D It's a lot of fun to watch, the world is gorgeous and interesting, and the characters are so much fun. At the moment, I feel TLA is the better of the two, simply because I enjoyed how much more carefree it was than Korra (despite still being able to have its serious points and drama). I'm still kinda curious to see if they reference any more of the old show when book two starts up, though. XD

I don't have any idea where this is going, probably just rambling at this point. Gotta start getting ready for work.

Kazekai
08-24-2012, 12:30 AM
I actually prefer Korra's more serious tone. TLA had a good direction and it's still one of my favorite shows but some of the silliness had a habit of ruining what might have been a dramatic moment and it took my friend and I completely out of the experience when I streamed it. I would definitely say that TLA is for a younger audience than Korra though, Korra seems to cover more mature topics and thus appeal to an older crowd.

Sinjo
08-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Persoanlly, I love both series. However Korra really stood out as a more deep and adult story. Book two is said to be focusing more on the relationships in the group, which I welcome.

I can't wait for it to air. S'one of the most well drawn cartoons out there.

zenia
08-26-2012, 01:36 PM
I love Avatar and its world. I also love how they made Korra more serious... as the people that grew up on Avatar were older and it didn't talk down to them. :)

Thestory
09-30-2012, 05:31 AM
The original series was superior story wise. Even just superior in general. There were strong character archs and I could understand all the main characters and where they were coming from. I could literally dissect their personalities, histories, and how they developed and changed through the series. They were consistent. They made sense and I gave a rats ass about them. Their story was more involved and fleshed out. They faced real lasting challenges that took the entire length of the show to overcome. Their obstacles were more dire and effected them more deeply.
TLA is my favorite TV cartoon series to date.

Korra so far has been...a disappointment. Though well animated and containing some promising themes they didn't go anywhere with them. There were too many characters with hardly any development or real inner struggles to stand out. That includes the main character. Most of the problems, and especially the climax was dues ex machina. Most of the interesting points were shown in exposition in a flash back last minute. That is all poor storytelling. No matter how pretty, random action sequences and poorly written drama shoved in my face doesn't keep my interest.
Don't get me wrong the show is still good in comparison to many of our animated series in the US, but really a hollow let down in comparison to its predecessor.

I could go on about both of these but I'd rather leave you with this mini rant.

Kazekai
09-30-2012, 10:21 AM
To be fair, Korra was supposed to be 12 episodes long only, they got the greenlight to make more when they were animating the final episode in Korea. Now they have three seasons to make a show, so it might improve when they have actual time to tell a story.

Shane
09-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Avatar is one of my favorite American cartoons and I wish there were more like it made here, in terms of arcs and storytelling. I also have to say that Avatar was, in my opinion, more deep and had more of an adult story than The Legend of Korra. I think the reason people say that about Korra is because the characters themselves were older and romance was shoved in our faces, which I guess people see as more mature and "adult".

Thestory
09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
To be fair, Korra was supposed to be 12 episodes long only, they got the greenlight to make more when they were animating the final episode in Korea. Now they have three seasons to make a show, so it might improve when they have actual time to tell a story.

This is true and I am well aware, but I have seen tighter story lines in less episodes in other series. A film is only 1.5-2.5 hours long normally and can tell a neat story. I know TV series and movies are different beasts but it is still possible. Also even if they didn't know it was going to be greenlit they should have kept the integrity of their original story/plan. If it got canceled halfway through its better to be sad something great and intriguing didn't get finished then get a mediocre story line.
That still doesn't excuse the bad storytelling and dues ex machina solutions for our character at every turn. They had enough time to make a decent story no matter if it was short and simple and establish some development for the characters. They simply didn't. I felt like they traded that in for not thought out drama and fan service.
Besides they have released a comic series in the past. They could have finished the story there as a backup plan.

If you enjoy it that is fine and dandy and I'm glad you did. However I can't agree that Korra is better than the Original.

I've only heard so can't promise, but some of the writer from the first series may be coming back on board. I am still going to watch what they do and hope they give some development to these characters in a neater tighter story arch.

Punjab
10-01-2012, 02:58 PM
I've been a fan of Avatar since the very first day the first episode aired. I grew up with the show and characters, and it was so bittersweet seeing the older Gaang in Korra, and I can't wait for season 2!

I have to agree with Thestory though. One of the things that peeved me the most is the fact that Korra just cannot handle filler episodes like episode 5 uggghhh. I really wish they focused more on the plot and story and character development than the love triangle-hectagon-circles. Bolin was such a disappointment at the end of the show - I really hope his character's fleshed out more in the upcoming seasons.

P.S. FIRE IS BEST ELEMENT. cough.

Kazekai
10-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I didn't realize any episode in Korra was a filler. Nightmares and Daydreams from the original Avatar was probably the worst episode, either that, or Ember Island Players. Could have done without the stupidity, ironically, both were in Season 3. Both of those were fillers.

Love and romance are part of developing a character, and a part of being a teenager. Kids don't need to worry about that as much, so it wasn't as huge a focus. It was still there in the original series though, with the older teenagers, so I don't know what the problem is.

Season 2 airs in April, though I probably won't watch it until every episode is available.

Thestory
10-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Its not so much that there are relationships and teenage hormonal drama. That didn't bug me. Not at first. It did eventually grate on my nerves because after an entire season the characters had no development or depth I could feel for or be attached to because there wasn't much there. That renders all the relationship drama pointless because why should I feel invested?

Punjab
10-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Have to admit, the romance was also pretty bad in Avatar, haha. The writers know how to make a good story but not really... a love one.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mako/Korra - but that's all it should've been in the first place. For something that was a mini-series, they should've stopped on the whole 'love triangle-pseudo-cheating' train of thought.

(I also find it really, really absurd that Bolin stopped crushing on Korra after ep 5, hence why it was such a pointless filler. Bolin came out of it without a change in himself, as well as Mako and Korra, so eh... but there are new writers coming onto season 2, so maybe the characters will grow more with fresh input and ideas from newer sources.)

Pillowing
10-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Oh man I'm a huuuge fan for ATLA! I loved the concepts, the depth, the characters build up, the just all out amazing story telling.... It blew me away. It really taught me to get involved with my story ideas again and inspired me to keep trying creatively. C:

Ask around, I was one of the biggest squealing fan girls waiting for Korra to come out and be the heroine I dreamed out... Sadly that did not at all come true. I'll be frank, Korra was not the avatar I was waiting for... Clearly they had the right idea moving for the first 2 episodes then it just... got swept away with awkward romance that built nothing onto the characters? Completely with Thestory here.

I'm actually so horribly disappointed with that first season of Korra I don't look into updates or any info on it. :c I don't know if I can handle more heart break after watching that 12 episode of disaster... I get that it worked ok for some people - but I guess my expectations were a pinch toooooo high... I'm just going to sit out on the side lines and wait for Korra to hopefully re-grab my attention much much later on.

In the mean time though I will gladly re-watch ATLA over and over again. I adore they made an art book to boot, it's beautiful and detailed! Dreamy Sigh~<3 Such a good show.

Castazel
10-05-2012, 01:01 AM
I love this series! So much so, I cosplayed as Fire Nation Aang and Mako. XD
There's a pic of my cosplay somewhere on my FA if you guys want to see it. furaffinity.net/user/castazel
I can't wait for Season 2 of Korra next year. :3

Kazekai
10-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Korra kind of exceeded my expectations, I was younger when I watched ATLA, and I wouldn't have minded a series like that, but having something that was more extreme in the action with beautiful music and where everything happened at an intense rate was so much to take in at one time - which I did, whereas even now, Avatar is a slower pace and probably easier to appreciate for older people and kids, but I enjoy it for different reasons.

Also maybe the creators wanted to do a love triangle, I have several tropes or ideas I'm fond of that many people consider taboo that I will still add to things I make because I feel like it.

Has anyone read The Promise? Part 3 came out a couple days ago and its already on Tumblr, go figure.

Edit:
http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/79/25/79251a_3650105.jpg

Come on, come over to the dark side.

Castazel
10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Has anyone read The Promise? Part 3 came out a couple days ago and its already on Tumblr, go figure.

Thanks for letting us know! I had read the first two parts and didn't even know Part 3 came out already. If I remember correctly, the creators didn't have much to do with the comic. They asked another important artist(s) to fill in the blank and not let any new information interfere with what they had in store for Korra.
Also, here's a pic of my Mako cosplay I talked about in the previous post. I didn't realize you could embed pics into posts. It's been so long since I've used a forum. XD

https://d.facdn.net/art/castazel/1341297510.castazel_bending_brothers_small.jpg

Punjab
10-05-2012, 05:50 PM
What... what. Castazel that is amazing?? Holy crap. Both of you fit the role of RL Bolin/Mako so well! Awesome job! Ugh, this makes me want to try cosplaying even more now haha.