PDA

View Full Version : In need of crit.

Bri Mercedes
03-03-2014, 01:19 AM
https://www.weasyl.com/static/media/13/14/27/1314275e4648c5d6e043f8705239efc73b12bc2612d086a821 2633f724fce34f.jpg (https://www.weasyl.com/submission/505040/1-100-welcoming-spring)

I'd like critique on this image please! I'm trying very hard to develop my picture book style and would like some feedback. What's odd to you, and what can be improved? Conversely, what parts of this illustration succeeded?

Sammacha
03-04-2014, 03:21 AM
I think this loks very nice for the story book style of artwork, very stylized and looks pleasing to the eye.
I do feel like the trees could have a bit of the texture you used on the ground, just to make seem more like its all on the same textured paper. Even if it was only on a couple in the BG, that ofc is my personal preference though.
Considering the blue of the sky and no leaves on the trees i might brighten the grass slightly

tooiebird
03-04-2014, 05:52 AM
Oh this is lovely! You have a strong composition, included some atmosphere and everything is rendered very well. The focus is on the main character and the birds and tree branches do a good job of showing you where to look. I think this is a really good picture book style and I like the white border you made it all within as well.
I really like your color palette though it does kind of seem on the muddy side with all the browns and green, which is good for a cold/wintery scene. I would maybe make the jacket stand out a little more from the sky as well. I also like the texture you used in it but remember with textures you don't want them to be too distracting from the art itself. I think in this case it def. adds to the piece.
One thing I'm a little confused about is what season it is. I see that there are no leaves on the trees and there is snow on the ground, but there is grass growing? I would consider getting rid of that grass in the foreground completely or make it look kinda more dead (like a light brown if that makes sense)

Sammacha
03-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm a little confused about is what season it is. I see that there are no leaves on the trees and there is snow on the ground, but there is grass growing? I would consider getting rid of that grass in the foreground completely or make it look kinda more dead (like a light brown if that makes sense)

We get snow here, there is always green grass regardless. With what your saying I think you would need only darken the ground

AineCleine
03-05-2014, 04:10 AM
Nothing to say really, every piece in there fit in a pretty harmonious way. The selection of colors are actually really nice for a post winter or post snow scenario and this is pretty pleasing to look at, pretty beautiful. Every color is a great choice IMO.

Very amazing work.

QT Melon
03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
The only thing I can figure out composition wise is I'm getting a cramped feeling from the image. I think it's because of the way branches are pointing inward and because it's very square it feels like everything is squishing inward. The valleys of the hills also have that feeling. Perhaps extending the canvas a few inches making the image slightly wider might remove the cramped feeling I get looking at the image.

Dmitry
03-23-2014, 05:06 PM
I can give you critique, but I have no corrections to give. (I'll be following you to see more!!)

The character is off-center, thank you, it makes it more interesting to look at. The ground has a nice texture, which offsets it from the trees. The trees fade nicely into the background as they go back. The plants are well done and frame the character nicely (along with the trees). The birds are a nice pop of color, but remain less detailed than the focal character, so they don't distract, but add more richness to the scene.
Fantastic work!