PDA

View Full Version : Requesting painting critique

Amer Duende
02-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Whoo my first art post here!
I'm looking for critique on this particular digital painting I've been working on lately- I like how it is currently but I've really love to see what could be improved on it. Any and all suggestions are welcome!
http://imageshack.com/a/img716/3324/i25j.png

Sammacha
03-04-2014, 03:24 AM
Right now i feel like the magic dust from the bird is taking away from the bird itself, why not make the pattern on the wings glow in a similar manner?

Also, when I look at the birds feet/legs they seem really skinny, a little too long and at an odd angle (maybe the length is making me think that)

Dmitry
03-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Unless it's crucial, I would drop the magic dust from the wings instead of the feet...it seems a little weird to me for some reason to have it come from the feet. I love the human on the bottom, but she almost needs to be darker or more solidly colored. She looks like a bunch of random brushstrokes and it flattens her out a lot.

renka
03-29-2014, 04:19 AM
Firstly, this is really nice! The color reflection especially is a nice touch~ And the details on the bird are great, the rimlighting is another nice touch~
My suggestions would include the transition from the blue to the dark maroon/brown/purple color to be either more rough and with a texturized brush or smoother and more blended. At the moment I'm not digging the transition, consider being braver with different texture brushes for a more "traditional paint" feel, or you could even hint at a background by painting in simple lines. Additionally I'm a little confused about the lack of the bottom figure's hand? I like the movement in the hair!
Though there's nothing wrong with the composition, a more interesting composition, for example, might include observing the Rule of Thirds or putting perspective in so that we're looking slightly more at a bird's eye view~