PDA

View Full Version : What is cute/kawaii?

kipKei
02-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I know this depends on alot of different reasons.

But what makes something kawaii to you? thick lines? thin lines? expressions? details? simplicity?

Hewge
02-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Your avatar. Agooooo

Actually, I don't pay much attention to kawaii things. But to me, cartoons in general are pretty cute with how much you can stretch and exaggerate things like expressions, lines, and shapes on them.
E.G An exaggerated chubby lil' toon with big agoo eyes will probably be more cute-worthy than a slim, more realistic character. Although, I guess slim and realistic could count as a whole different kind of cute...

I guess simplicity would be a good contributor, too. When you see something cute you should be all "Oh my gosh, this is so cute!" Not-
"This character has a lot of details. I am totally going to acknowledge it for a while just to evaluate how cute it is."

Also otters.

Especially otters.

Otters.

Vae
02-21-2014, 09:46 PM
"Kawaii" just reminds me of 14-year-olds in a weeaboo phase.

A lot of things can be cute, though.
It's not really a style. Actually, I wish people wouldn't just heavily rely on a certain, specific style to make something out to be "cute." Experiment. See how you can make "cute" things in different ways, instead of just giant shiny eyes or whatever the shit.

kipKei
02-21-2014, 10:13 PM
"Kawaii" just reminds me of 14-year-olds in a weeaboo phase.

A lot of things can be cute, though.
It's not really a style. Actually, I wish people wouldn't just heavily rely on a certain, specific style to make something out to be "cute." Experiment. See how you can make "cute" things in different ways, instead of just giant shiny eyes or whatever the shit.

LOL yeah 'kawaii' can seem that way sometimes way how alot of children use it outside of JP.

What would you personally define cute as? I just want to get all kinds of opinions on it is all c:

Matt Conner
02-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Doggies!

Sammacha
02-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Potatoes

AineCleine
02-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Any kind of bird. Tropical birds get a special mention.

insanejoker
02-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Any kind of bird. Tropical birds get a special mention.

Your icon in a nutshell. (EDIT: So, reread that, and totally didn't mean to sound dumb, I mean your icon was cute / kawaii and stuff. SORRY IF IT SOUNDED MEAN OR SOMETHING).

I like baby sharks. They're so kawaiiiiii. I feel so weird typing that word.

kipKei
02-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Your icon in a nutshell.

I like baby sharks. They're so kawaiiiiii. I feel so weird typing that word.

yeaaah bby sharks are cute!!! xD its ok i feel weird when i say it too sometimes

Zeitzbach
02-22-2014, 02:01 PM
I dunno, I can't even define my own definition of cute. It's usually those monsters that aren't supposed to look horribly hideous though.
Male tsun expression hits me most of the time though.

And I usually avoid most female stuffs unless it's a rather simple looking loli with a noble and charismatic aura. The typical "SO MOE AND AIR-HEADED" shits get the "Slutbitch" tag from me.

Sparkyopteryx
02-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Big, fearsome cuddly monsters. They don't have to be fluffy or look cute either; it's more of an inherent quality than anything. That goes for just about anything for me; it's not how the subject is drawn, or colored, or anything. In fact, when it is intentionally manipulated and altered just to make it look cuter, I find it less cute and it becomes more of an object of disgust for me (case in point, "baby-fying" or "chibifying" things). Cute is kind of a nebulous attribute for me, like if something is beautiful, or sexy, or creepy.

Also fae. Not cartoon pink sparkle horrorshow confections, more like closer to the "Brian Froud" style of faerie; they're a little uncanny valley for some but I think they're pretty and adorable. Birds and bats of all kinds, even the "ugly" ones. And spotted hyenas.

Moogle
02-22-2014, 04:26 PM
I find that simplicity is a thin line between bland and adorable; almost like a break or make it kinda deal. Obviously light colours can enhance that, but yeah a lot of it depends on personal preference. Myself, I think facial expressions and demeanor of the character is huge for giving off any impression.

Willow
02-22-2014, 05:50 PM
If it looks appealing. That's about it. This is kind of like asking what is attractive to someone.

Also can you just use normal font? I can barely read your posts.

insanejoker
02-22-2014, 11:44 PM
yeaaah bby sharks are cute!!! xD its ok i feel weird when i say it too sometimes

Baby sharks ftw D:< om nom nom.

child
02-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Hmm, idk, I think everything is cute ;w; heh
I don't think there's a set definition for what is cute or not :3 It's all up to interpretation QuQb lolol, sometimes
what someone else sees as horror or macabre, I might find cute ~
For me, it's the expression, or what they're doing. Sometimes it's when the image doesn't fit with the personality,
and the subject just appears like an awkward turtle ;w; ~ ♥

Flippy
02-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Pastels help make things cool kawaii. It's weird but true in my opinon. Also eyes that look more like pools of the tears of angels help.

Benny Bunnycorn
02-24-2014, 10:21 AM
When I hear "Kawaii," I think of the biggest island in the state of Hawaii.

When I hear "cute" I think of happy characters with a friendly, harmless looking face, or sad characters with a sympathetic expression. Just about most animals can be cute in the right light.

Krespo
02-24-2014, 12:51 PM
For me it's more about behaviour. Find me the biggest, nastiest looking thing and make it snuggle up to someone and I'll be all 'd'aww lookit so cute .3.'

Krespo
02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Even Alien Cell? (http://www.codiekitty.com/Pictures/HardCorps/aliencell.gif)

Yes :3

Have him being nice to a puppy and watch me d'aww. Also that game is hard as fuck, but in the best way. I had Probotector when I was young and it remains unbeaten.

Krespo
02-24-2014, 01:31 PM
While his nose is bleeding all over it.

Is that what that is? I thought that was a skull-shaped flesh protrusion.

Naruto Uzumaki
02-24-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm a sucker for characters with angsty back stories or who are suffering some emotional trauma. I can't resist them; they all need hugs.

I also think baby elephants are just gaaaahhhsdgsjafakjdfaskj.

Zeitzbach
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Slender male tsundere anthros are kawaii as fuck.

MOEEEHHHHHH.

Bonus point for sadism with a dark personality hidden under the gentle smile, or a very ":|" face.

Cerelia
02-25-2014, 11:22 PM
my definition of cute is weird and generally patternless, but I find things with weird eyes, ridiculously large ears, and fluff to be cute. bonus points if they have wings.

I really do love bats, just, any bats, they're all so adorable! ;y;

kipKei
02-27-2014, 05:41 PM
http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Love-Rappy.jpg

Love Rappies are kawaii as fuck.

Is that from the new PSO2?