PDA

View Full Version : Furry College Club

CrazyLee
02-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Some people I know at college started a Furry club.

Bad idea, or bad idea?

Now, I personally think the idea of a furry club would be a bad idea. But, who knows.
I ask them the purpose of the club and they said their "official mission statement" was to promote the furry fandom in a positive light, to change people's minds about the fandom, that it's not just sex in fursuits, and to also have a positive, welcoming place for furs at the college to hang out.

I figured that they were just forming a hangout place for furs at this school, and all the lofty goals they put in their mission statement was just to make the college happy, because universities like to see that shit. But it seems they might actually WANT to promote the furry fandom outside of club, at least to keep the college happy.

Just this week they got together and had a meeting on two things: What they could do during each club meet, and also what they could do outside of club to promote the furry fandom in a positive light. And they asked me what ideas I had.

I was stumped. I have always seen the fandom as a hobby, and I've been cynical about the fandom, so my attitude of it is the same as someone into BDSM: I engage in the fandom but I don't talk about it outside the fandom. I keep my interest to myself. So I have no idea.

I did throw down some ideas. I said the best way to promote the fandom would be to wear fursuits and do charitable community work, which is what I've seen other fursuiters do. Unfortunately no one in the club owns a suit. I also suggested bake sales and so forth. As for in-club activities, I said workshops on how to art, how to build tails or ears, ect.

What I'm curious is if any of you have any ideas. Ideas on how a furry college club can promote the fandom positively, and what activities the club can do during club time.

Also, the club president said the oddest thing. She said that full-body fursuits, without clothes, would be discouraged from showing up at club. Why? Because, according to her, a fullsuit is considered "naked" and people would see it and think it was obscene because it was "naked" and not wearing clothes. And the college would think that and shut down the club.

Um, wat? I don't think I've met a single person who saw a fullsuit without clothing and thought it was obscene or naked. They just thought it was a cute mascot suit. Durr....

Demensa
02-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Hmmm
If one really wanted to 'promote' the furry fandom at college, fursuiting would be the obvious choice.
Otherwise, I don't really have any ideas. Promoting the fandom seems like such a pointless idea to me. Maybe I'm being cynical as well, but I can't see any positive outcomes that would justify doing it.

Of course, hanging out with like minded people and doing activities with them would be fun. A college club could *in theory* work, though 'furry activities' I think outside of drawing are fairly limited.
That's fine though... I always imagined it would be more of a 'let's do things with people who have similar interests' rather than 'let's only do things centered around this interest'.
Having a college group (and thus tying it to the college) rather than just organising a group outside of school seems a little strange to me as well.

I'm stumped too. In terms of ideas, but mostly 'promotion' just seems like such an odd word to associate with the Furry Fandom. I don't get it.

Vae
02-20-2014, 04:45 AM
they said their "official mission statement" was to promote the furry fandom in a positive light, to change people's minds about the fandom, that it's not just sex in fursuits,
I hate this kind of mindset, personally.

It's one thing for furries to just engage in their furry-ness for the enjoyment they get out of it as a hobby. It's another to turn it into some kind of soapbox message to shove down everyone's throats.
It comes off as playing the victim before anyone's even turned you into a victim, in the first place (unless your college has serious issues with anti-furry violence or some shit), or acting like furry is some grander thing than it should be.

It would basically be the same as if I decided to create a college club on the basis of "I want to put gamers in a more positive light," which just seems entirely needless, self-important, and obnoxious to the core.

sassySloth
02-20-2014, 11:05 AM
I think if it's something they keep as a school thing, nothing bad could really happen. Especially since I don't attend your school. :B
But they shouldn't be actively trying draw attention away from the sexual aspect because you're only going to draw attention to it.That's actually a really good point. I hadn't thought of that before. If furries go around with the mission of "showing people we aren't all freaks." It's inevitably going to around interest in what it is that gives furries such a bad reputation in the first place.

My recommendation for a college furry group would be: Act as rational and level-headed as possible so that people won't be turned off immediately by awkwardness.

WillowMouse
02-20-2014, 12:58 PM
my recommendation would be to not go around and try and preach around campus, just get together, maybe do fursuit workshops where the members get together and work on suits or learn how to sew and sculpt and all that stuff, do drawing workshops etc etc. don't try and go around preaching about how misunderstood the fandom is, because that's what it is, a fandom. I don't see homestucks forming clubs to try and change people's idea about their fandom, or hetaboos, or sherlock fans.

in fact, I think what's gotten furries the reputation they have today, is that they're OBSESSED with positive press. there's uncountable furry "documentaries" and "tv specials" and even "books" and all it's doing is,like mentioned above, is making people go "why is not being seen as a freak so important to these people, why did they get that rep in the first place?

CrazyLee
02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
I hate this kind of mindset, personally.

It's one thing for furries to just engage in their furry-ness for the enjoyment they get out of it as a hobby. It's another to turn it into some kind of soapbox message to shove down everyone's throats.
It comes off as playing the victim before anyone's even turned you into a victim, in the first place (unless your college has serious issues with anti-furry violence or some shit), or acting like furry is some grander thing than it should be.

It would basically be the same as if I decided to create a college club on the basis of "I want to put gamers in a more positive light," which just seems entirely needless, self-important, and obnoxious to the core.

But they shouldn't be actively trying draw attention away from the sexual aspect because you're only going to draw attention to it.

Both of these things.

The way I see it is that most people will have no idea what the furry fandom is. And most people won't care. If you go around trying to say "this is what the furry fandom is about, hugboxes and cuddles and fuzzy suits" most people will be like "that's nice" and then take your pamphlet and dump it in the nearest trashcan as they walk away. Most people just don't give a shit. Or, for those people who HAVE heard of the fandom in a negative fashion, being a bunch of people in ears and tails trying to convince them that it's NOT just a perverted hobby is not going to win many converts, because people are going to wonder if you're just lying to make yourself look good.

The only way you will ever make the fandom look good is by doing, not saying. Those people who are in suit who do great things for charity go way farther to promote the furry fandom in a good way than any ranting on a soapbox (and then it all goes back downhill when someone goes on Dr. Phil).

But this club seems determined to make the fandom look good, either because their founding members are very young and haven't been in the fandom a long time, so it's all new and fresh, or because the college is pressuring them to act. Either way they turn to me, being the oldest/longest-in-fandom member for advice. And all I can say is "to me it's a hobby I've never tried to promote it to anyone."

certifiedkowaidad
02-28-2014, 09:16 PM
The fandom isn't important enough to merit a public relations campaign. It's not a rights issue or a significant source of identity. It's hardly even a coherent hobby. The whole question is silly. If I were in your place I'd suggest dismantling the club and just go out with each other to have a good time.

First, your school is unlikely to have enough humanimals to merit dedicated classes on costuming or furry drawing. To draw furries you learn to draw people, then animals, then combine the two; go to a traditional art class to figure that out. Second, if the club doesn't have a good reason to exist other than "we want to get together and have a club," then a club is not the right vehicle for you. It will go the same way of role-playing and video game clubs that turn into glorified hangout sessions. Skip the middleman and meeting minutes and just hang out.

Also, I know it's not what you're asking, but I'd like to respond with some caution to this whole idea. Furry is such a sex-centric fandom for a college club. There's precedent for sexually-based college clubs out there, such as Harvard University's Munch Club (http://www.boston.com/yourcampus/news/harvard/2012/12/harvard_college_officially_recognizes_kinky_sex_cl ub.html), but keep in mind that these clubs are run with a level of tact and social acumen not accessible to your average manimal. If your club identifies as Visibly Nerd, you're putting yourself in a precarious position, socially. It's inevitable you'll have one person who ruins it for everybody when she draws mouse boobs on her Intro to Political Science class and shows them off to everyone and the professor makes a big deal out of it and she gets on this soapbox about how they are all sexually repressed and it is her mission in life to open peoples' minds to alternate-species boobs and it just makes everything uncomfortable for everyone, I'm not saying that you can't have the mouse boobs I'm just saying that there's a time and a place for them and it is not in class and it is today, Jessica.

Not that I've had any experience with that.

Benny Bunnycorn
02-28-2014, 11:12 PM
I hate the mindset some people, even "furries" have that it's better to just let people believe we are all sick-minded pedofiles and rapists who preform bestiality or such than to set the record straight. That it's more important that furries continue to be demonized than it is for us to even try and help our fandom out. Trying to promote the fandom does NOT teach people that we're sick. Those people just choose to think that way because they're idiots. If someone notices you're a furry, and just assumes you're a sick fuck and starts harassing you over it, are you just going to allow them to think that way? If you do, you're an idiot.

Honestly, I think it's disgusting that we, like all who are bullied and ridiculed, are just supposed to allow people to bully and ridicule us instead of trying to stand up for ourselves.

AineCleine
03-01-2014, 02:36 AM
I hate the mindset some people, even "furries" have that it's better to just let people believe we are all sick-minded pedofiles and rapists who preform bestiality or such than to set the record straight. That it's more important that furries continue to be demonized than it is for us to even try and help our fandom out. Trying to promote the fandom does NOT teach people that we're sick. Those people just choose to think that way because they're idiots. If someone notices you're a furry, and just assumes you're a sick fuck and starts harassing you over it, are you just going to allow them to think that way? If you do, you're an idiot.

Honestly, I think it's disgusting that we, like all who are bullied and ridiculed, are just supposed to allow people to bully and ridicule us instead of trying to stand up for ourselves.

What can we do. Thatīs how things work right now. I know is a really pessimistic view of the case but seeing how people see the fandom and overgeneralize over stuff I sincerely will expect a bad response from most of the people. Obviously getting bullied or mocked is a consequence but you rather learn to deal with it and get a bunch of people interested in it or you play it safe and avoid talking about it unless if for people you trust or members of the fandom. Will be worth it? Not everyone can deal with that the same way... I donīt know, Iīve rather play it safe.

Besides the fact that the fandom has to many sexual based material, I agree with certifiedkowaidad on that aspect. Could be pretty difficult to promote in a healthy basis. I think is a bad idea.

Benny Bunnycorn
03-01-2014, 09:10 AM
What can we do. Thatīs how things work right now. I know is a really pessimistic view of the case but seeing how people see the fandom and overgeneralize over stuff I sincerely will expect a bad response from most of the people. Obviously getting bullied or mocked is a consequence but you rather learn to deal with it and get a bunch of people interested in it or you play it safe and avoid talking about it unless if for people you trust or members of the fandom. Will be worth it? Not everyone can deal with that the same way... I donīt know, Iīve rather play it safe.

Besides the fact that the fandom has to many sexual based material, I agree with certifiedkowaidad on that aspect. Could be pretty difficult to promote in a healthy basis. I think is a bad idea.

If it gets people to realize we're not all that bad, of coarse I'll promote it. Just doing nothing is like asking the fandom to die.

Not really. Many of the "sexual aspects" of the furry fandom are greatly exaggerated. And what isn't is usually harmless. There's actually quite a tiny percentage of people in the furry fandom who actually want to rape real creatures or anything like that.

AineCleine
03-02-2014, 03:00 AM
Well, at least letting some people know this ainīt so bad of a fandom as many people think then it will definitely worth it. I agree on that point but I feel a college isnīt exactly the best place (probably the worst) to promote it. It is a pretty hostile and judgmental environment. Promoting this really require some sense of tact.

Hopefully youīre right. I was referring in the aspect of what people draw thought. Some raping real creatures will just be plain disturbing and deplorable.

Zeitzbach
03-02-2014, 05:29 AM
In a community like this, joining or mentioning the "Furry" club is a one-way ticket to hell.

I know some furries in my university too and instead of starting a furry club, they start a "Drawing" club instead that also involves con and stuffs. You actually get to share your furries drawings with other people OUTSIDE your fandoms, make games with them and even go to con in suit while they cosplay. (according to her experience outside of the con. She only draws, roleplays, write club stories and creates RPG sprites with them)

This approach is too direct.

Vae
03-02-2014, 07:25 AM

This is assuming that the average Joe on the street even knows what a "furry" is, or has absolutely any of those assumptions in their head, already.

This is a big, persistent issue with furries: their gigantic goddamned persecution complex.
The amount of people that actually do care about furry, especially in a negative context, are fairly minor. You have some who will stare and make jokes, if you decide to wear a fursuit to the park or something, but this has less to do with furry's public image and more to do with "Hahaha. Look at this weirdo wearing an animal costume at the park! What the fuck?"

And if someone is so ingrained in their mindset that they're literally going to harass you over it (I'm talking about actual, legitimate harassment. Not just "Weh he joked once at my expense!"), then you're not really going to change their mind just by explaining the "good" side of the fandom to them.
They're not going to give a shit. Because they've already made up their mind about you, to the point where they're going to lash out to that degree.

And if you're taking trolls and "bullies" into account, again, they're not going to give a single shit about positive things done for the fandom's reputation. They simply want to see your reaction.
"Don't feed the trolls" rings very true in this kind of situation.
Because the more you overreact, the more you scream at them to stop "fursecuting" you or whatever the shit, they more you're going to look like you both have something to hide, and can't handle conflict like an adult.

I'm also going to add that absolutely no one has an obligation to "help the fandom out," just because they decided that they, too, liked the cartoon animal people. You did not sign a contract upon joining the fandom. No one's obligated to do jack-ass shit.

Benny Bunnycorn
03-02-2014, 09:55 AM
This is assuming that the average Joe on the street even knows what a "furry" is, or has absolutely any of those assumptions in their head, already.

This is a big, persistent issue with furries: their gigantic goddamned persecution complex.
The amount of people that actually do care about furry, especially in a negative context, are fairly minor. You have some who will stare and make jokes, if you decide to wear a fursuit to the park or something, but this has less to do with furry's public image and more to do with "Hahaha. Look at this weirdo wearing an animal costume at the park! What the fuck?"

And if someone is so ingrained in their mindset that they're literally going to harass you over it (I'm talking about actual, legitimate harassment. Not just "Weh he joked once at my expense!"), then you're not really going to change their mind just by explaining the "good" side of the fandom to them.
They're not going to give a shit. Because they've already made up their mind about you, to the point where they're going to lash out to that degree.

And if you're taking trolls and "bullies" into account, again, they're not going to give a single shit about positive things done for the fandom's reputation. They simply want to see your reaction.
"Don't feed the trolls" rings very true in this kind of situation.
Because the more you overreact, the more you scream at them to stop "fursecuting" you or whatever the shit, they more you're going to look like you both have something to hide, and can't handle conflict like an adult.

I'm also going to add that absolutely no one has an obligation to "help the fandom out," just because they decided that they, too, liked the cartoon animal people. You did not sign a contract upon joining the fandom. No one's obligated to do jack-ass shit.

Let's see. How many people watch CSI? American Dad? Comic Book Men? Hot In Cleveland? Or any other show that mentions furries using the usual stereotype? No, not everyone knows what a furry is. But for those that do and judge people for being a furry, finding a way to set the record straight is useful. And even for those who don't, there's no harm in talking about it as long as you're not shoving it down their throats.

And to trolls, bullies, and idiots? Honestly if you think just ignoring them is the way to go, you're basically ASKING them to bully and harass you. You're allowing them to get away with everything they do. You're not giving them consequence for their action, you're just allowing them to insult you. What, you think just doing nothing is punishment enough? WRONG! Doing nothing just shows how passive and weak someone is, and how they want to shape the future: a future that generally allows bad people to over run anyone with decency.

You may think "Fursecution" is nothing. But honestly, it's actually quite a big deal. Furries have received an awful treatment, including death threats, offensive comments, and then some. Death Threats are something that's apparently such a big deal when said about hunters or "animal welfare supporters" or anyone not associated with animals, yet when it happens to furries, we're just supposed to laugh at it?

As for trying to help the fandom out? I feel like most animal lovers, furries are a very underrated group who gets too much hate. Which is why I try to stand up for them. ...That, and in general, most of the decent people I've met online were real furries. While on the flipside, I've met a very small amount of people who aren't furries (or some other kind of animal fan) and were half-way decent people to boot.

Zeitzbach
03-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Furry jokes are like racist jokes. Take offense and you lose.

Benny Bunnycorn
03-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Furry jokes are like racist jokes. Take offense and you're a normal person. Don't, and you really have no dignity, do you?

Seriously. "Take offense and you lose" is just another way of saying "They can be as horrible and ruthless as possible, and all you're supposed to do is just let it happen. Their lives are more valuable than yours."

Xolani
03-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Just be there and be a club where furries get together.

And don't be complete stereotypes.

That by itself will do more to promote furries positively than going around telling people "We're not all perverts, honest."

Zeitzbach
03-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Seriously. "Take offense and you lose" is just another way of saying "They can be as horrible and ruthless as possible, and all you're supposed to do is just let it happen. Their lives are more valuable than yours."

If I lose my dignity every time my friend calls me a lizard fucker, I guess he also loses it every time I call him a squinty eyes dog eaters.

Or is this yet another "Special case" and furries will always have to fend for themselves.

Here's a random saying for you to think about.

"It is none but feminists that cause the most trouble for women as they will always treats women as the lesser ones that deserves special treatment in order to be equal to men"

If the club ever has this kind of member, I can see it failing really soon.

Benny Bunnycorn
03-02-2014, 01:31 PM
If I lose my dignity every time my friend calls me a lizard fucker, I guess he also loses it every time I call him a squinty eyes dog eaters.

Or is this yet another "Special case" and furries will always have to fend for themselves.

Here's a random saying for you to think about.

"It is none but feminists that cause the most trouble for women as they will always treats women as the lesser ones that deserves special treatment in order to be equal to men"

If the club ever has this kind of member, I can see it failing really soon.

Honestly, there's no special case. I think ANYONE who's bullied should have the right to stand up for themselves. Not just furries, and most CERTAINLY not just animal-haters.

Also, what you said is completely bogus and untrue.

Vae
03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Let's see. How many people watch CSI? American Dad? Comic Book Men? Hot In Cleveland? Or any other show that mentions furries using the usual stereotype? No, not everyone knows what a furry is. But for those that do and judge people for being a furry, finding a way to set the record straight is useful. And even for those who don't, there's no harm in talking about it as long as you're not shoving it down their throats.

And to trolls, bullies, and idiots? Honestly if you think just ignoring them is the way to go, you're basically ASKING them to bully and harass you. You're allowing them to get away with everything they do. You're not giving them consequence for their action, you're just allowing them to insult you. What, you think just doing nothing is punishment enough? WRONG! Doing nothing just shows how passive and weak someone is, and how they want to shape the future: a future that generally allows bad people to over run anyone with decency.

You may think "Fursecution" is nothing. But honestly, it's actually quite a big deal. Furries have received an awful treatment, including death threats, offensive comments, and then some. Death Threats are something that's apparently such a big deal when said about hunters or "animal welfare supporters" or anyone not associated with animals, yet when it happens to furries, we're just supposed to laugh at it?

As for trying to help the fandom out? I feel like most animal lovers, furries are a very underrated group who gets too much hate. Which is why I try to stand up for them. ...That, and in general, most of the decent people I've met online were real furries. While on the flipside, I've met a very small amount of people who aren't furries (or some other kind of animal fan) and were half-way decent people to boot.
You act as if those people will think about furry any longer than the extent of its exposure on that show. Like this is a thought that lingers in their mind when they have to get up and run to Walmart for milk and toilet paper at 5 in the morning.
"I have to be at work in 30 minutes. But man, those furries, amirite?"

A lot of my friends watch these shows, and only one of them (ONE of them) knows a damn thing about furry. And that's only because he used to frequent nightclubs where they would show up, back in the day. Not because of these television programs. Not because of "trolls" or "haters" or whatever. Because they would show up in animal ears and tails and hit on him, and it weirded him the hell out.

I don't have shit to prove to anyone, unless they're actually enacting or influencing some kind of power over my life. Insults don't do this. Now, if they were going to... say... someone on staff at my school and told them I was doing illegal activities, that would be a different story. That actually happened to me, by the way. And not because I was a furry.

But, aside from that, the words didn't mean shit to me. They didn't hold any power over my image of myself, and the hobbies I enjoyed. Absolutely none.
I would argue that it's a far greater indication of personal weakness to need this validation from everyone else. For that approval from people who really don't matter, at the end of it. Choose your battles, or just endlessly scream and yell and throw a giant tantrum about it, but only one of these decisions reflects the ability to use proper judgment.
Not everyone is going to like you and the things that you do. Not everyone is going to approve. This is life. This is conflict. This happens. And you must have some actual sense of priority if you want anyone who actually matters to take you seriously in any capacity, when shit actually is important.

And if you constantly hang around furries, and have convinced yourself that the fandom is this super awesome full of super awesome people, you're of course going to see it in a more positive light. This is a thing called "bias."
However, that does not give you the right to decide that for other people.
Aggressive whiteknighting is highly obnoxious. Especially for something that is not an actual, real issue, like persecution based on in-born traits, like those of race and sex.

Willow
03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Let's see. How many people watch CSI? American Dad? Comic Book Men? Hot In Cleveland? Or any other show that mentions furries using the usual stereotype?
Pretty sure anyone who forms an opinion of an entire group of people based on a random occurrence on some show already had thoughts about said group of people before they even watched the show.

As for trying to help the fandom out? I feel like most animal lovers, furries are a very underrated group who gets too much hate. Which is why I try to stand up for them.
Majority of the "hate" furries receive is based on the enormous victim complex most have.
The same goes for weebs and self-proclaimed otaku.

No one hates them unless they've been given a good reason to.

Benny Bunnycorn
03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Like I've said before, the justification of bullying and trolling is the root of evil. It doesn't show a greater weakness to "Throw a tantrum" as you call it, even though it's just standing up for yourself and others, it shows a greater weakness to tell people they should just allow themselves to be bullied and harassed.

Believe me, not all furries are good. But then again, a lot of the bad furries I met are: 1: Ones who ridicule any sort of furry idea. 2: Hate everything they call "furry" related. 3: Think people should be forced to draw and write about humans, even if they don't like humans. 4: Don't really act like they're a real furry at all, cause they generally act more like they despise furries. 5: Are the usual "We are sane fandom members" type people. ...Still, I have met bad furries outside of them, and I have met decent people who aren't furries, however I've hanged around more non-furries than you might think, and through personal experience furries are often nicer than others. ...Then again, lately I've been meeting a lot of furries who are actually not that likeable. And the majority of those are the ones I've mentioned.

Honestly, I don't see why it's a big deal to have a furry related group at college. They don't even need to spread the word or anything, they could just hang out. There's nothing wrong with a more diverse group, but something you seem to not believe in: there are actually more people biased against furries than you may think. Having a group with furries and those kind of people could spell more disaster than just a furry group itself.

Pretty sure anyone who forms an opinion of an entire group of people based on a random occurrence on some show already had thoughts about said group of people before they even watched the show.

Majority of the "hate" furries receive is based on the enormous victim complex most have.
The same goes for weebs and self-proclaimed otaku.

No one hates them unless they've been given a good reason to.

And honestly, sometimes they should look harder into it instead of just assuming things.

A "victim complex" is not only harmless most of the time, but usually the term is used, once again, to justify bullying.

Most things that are hated are actually misunderstood. Furries are in no way an exception. In fact, there's literally nothing that isn't hated by someone.

Rory
03-02-2014, 05:36 PM
4: Don't really act like they're a real furry at all, cause they generally act more like they despise furries. 5: Are the usual "We are sane fandom members" type people. ...Still, I have met bad furries outside of them, and I have met decent people who aren't furries, however I've hanged around more non-furries than you might think, and through personal experience furries are often nicer than others. ...Then again, lately I've been meeting a lot of furries who are actually not that likeable. And the majority of those are the ones I've mentioned.

Honestly, I don't see why it's a big deal to have a furry related group at college. They don't even need to spread the word or anything, they could just hang out.

What is a "real" furry? I've never seen a definition of a "real" furry somewhere. Furries are as diverse physically as they are mentally and with their connections to the fandom. There's no such thing as a "real" furry, and if this is your logic, it's easy to see why you're so vocal about this issue. You're not the first person I've encountered in my time with the fandom who acts exactly like this and tries to talk to about "real" furries.

And for me, furries on the whole have been worse than the general population. I've been to 45 US states, traveled internationally quite a bit, and met a hell of a lot of people from all levels of socio-economic statuses. This is entirely subjective, you can't blanket statement 7 billion people with something like that. It's a terrible foundation for an argument.

It can be a big deal. College clubs aren't meant to just be hang out spots, it takes funding away from other clubs that could really use it. It took 3 years for my university's boxing club to get its funding and use of vans and stuff, and that was a club where they brought an instructor in and improved skill, plus even set up mock tournaments.

Benny Bunnycorn
03-02-2014, 07:27 PM
What is a "real" furry?

If you read further, you would have noticed that I mentioned "They act like they despise everything furry." My definition of furry is not that strict. You can draw humans and still be a furry. You can not like Sonic the Hedgehog, and still be a furry. However, if you hate absolutely everything with anthro-animals to it and hate anyone who's a furry and throw around stereotypes like facts, and think people should be forced to draw humans, with the only thing really "furry" about you is that you have a fursona, it's hard for me to take you seriously as a furry.

Also, surely you HAVE met decent furries.

College groups that really need it? I don't see why furries in general shouldn't be allowed to have a group.

Zeitzbach
03-03-2014, 02:51 AM
You can have groups.

Club though. Unless it brings something to the table, is just a waste of fund. I don't think there's any "Furry content" around either except for some random cons. At least Art group have random drawing and painting contest every 3-4 months or so. Even winning those random fan art contest held by big companies can mean something.

And if you bring up drawing of "Anthro furry char" in contents, you can just merge the two group together and waste less fund.

Willow
03-03-2014, 03:20 AM
A "victim complex" is not only harmless most of the time, but usually the term is used, once again, to justify bullying.
Not really. Most of the time people with a victim complex like to bring the so called bullying upon themselves. Most people don't care unless you give them a reason to.

If you read further, you would have noticed that I mentioned "They act like they despise everything furry." My definition of furry is not that strict. You can draw humans and still be a furry. You can not like Sonic the Hedgehog, and still be a furry. However, if you hate absolutely everything with anthro-animals to it and hate anyone who's a furry and throw around stereotypes like facts, and think people should be forced to draw humans, with the only thing really "furry" about you is that you have a fursona, it's hard for me to take you seriously as a furry.
Your definition of furry is an opinion at best. There are anime fans who dislike the majority of anime and fans yet are still considered fans. Why? Because what constitutes a "real fan" is kind of moot.

Also where are you getting that people should be forced to draw humans?? No one's ever said that. And last I checked, it was a suggestion to increase the amount of non-furry art on the site. So let's not twist words shall we?

College groups that really need it? I don't see why furries in general shouldn't be allowed to have a group.
He didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to but that college clubs aren't meant to be places for people to hang out. I'm not 100% sure on how it works but I do believe that along with being responsible for any money the club generates on its own, they also get grants from the school itself to even function too. So giving money to a furry club is a bit of a waste unless they actually plan on doing something other than hanging out.

Rory
03-03-2014, 04:15 AM

Also, surely you HAVE met decent furries.

That's my point, though. You don't have the authority to officially define someone's level of furriness, even if they're a complete jackass who does everything you mentioned. It's solely your opinion. If that's how you want to operate personally, fine, that's your choice. You can't, however, try to define the fandom by your standards and then expect everyone else to go along. Furry means too many things to too many people.

Of course I've met decent ones. Just, I'm the opposite of you, you know? I'm trying to show you that I've met my fair share of people too, and overall I actually see no difference between "regular" people and furries. Everyone's a jerk in the right situation.

He didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to but that college clubs aren't meant to be places for people to hang out. I'm not 100% sure on how it works but I do believe that along with being responsible for any money the club generates on its own, they also get grants from the school itself to even function too. So giving money to a furry club is a bit of a waste unless they actually plan on doing something other than hanging out.

Right. Let's make this clear, semantically. A club is not the same thing as a group. A club is a body sanctioned by the university, that is eligible to request university funds for any number of purposes. Many things are required for a club, from a constitution to elected leadership, to possible faculty oversight and proof of signatures of interest from a significant amount of other students. Depending on the university/college/whatever, it can be a hell of a process. Yeah people hang out at clubs, but they're still there for something greater. Ideally. I know my school had a videogaming club, but they didn't do much beyond host small tournaments.

This brings us back to the problem of, should furry ever be considered a cause to promote or further? Or just a hobby? Again, this depends on the person. Personally I find it ridiculous how furry could ever be considered a cause, but I respect the fact that others think differently than me. Regardless of the difference in opinion, I don't think it's appropriate for a club on its own. Make a hangout group first and see how that goes. The only reason you ever want to make a club is if you want university funds for trips, events, or equipment, or if you want something leadership-y to pad your resume.

So no, I don't think university funds should ever go to something like promoting the "good" side of furry... mostly because in my subjective experience, most people don't give a damn and don't want your views shoved in their face. I see where this potential club is coming from, but I disagree on many levels for reasons that would start to get too offtopic, so I'm going to withhold my thoughts on that.

Benny Bunnycorn
03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Not really. Most of the time people with a victim complex like to bring the so called bullying upon themselves. Most people don't care unless you give them a reason to.

Your definition of furry is an opinion at best. There are anime fans who dislike the majority of anime and fans yet are still considered fans. Why? Because what constitutes a "real fan" is kind of moot.

Also where are you getting that people should be forced to draw humans?? No one's ever said that. And last I checked, it was a suggestion to increase the amount of non-furry art on the site. So let's not twist words shall we?

Not really. Some times, maybe. But most times bullying is actually happening.

Different strokes I guess.

Actually, that comment isn't directed at Weasyl. I was at a "furry" site where people were asking about drawing and writing about humans, and I asked if I absolutely needed to, and they were like "Yes! You HAVE to draw and write about them, or else you're not a real artist/writer." Honestly, I disagree that humans are easier to take seriously than animals. I, personally, have a hard time connecting with most human characters. In general, a lot of the times, goodguys are hunters, slayers of giant monsters, destroyers of alien space-ships, while a lot of times, badguys are animal lovers, environmentalists, misanthropes, characters I end up feeling upset that they are being portrayed the way they are as usual. In general, I feel animal lovers and misanthropes are a bit misunderstood. You could always make your own story, but anyone who notices you have a misanthropic hero will likely not be interested. Frankly, I just stick with what I like. Is that wrong?

That's my point, though. You don't have the authority to officially define someone's level of furriness, even if they're a complete jackass who does everything you mentioned. It's solely your opinion. If that's how you want to operate personally, fine, that's your choice. You can't, however, try to define the fandom by your standards and then expect everyone else to go along. Furry means too many things to too many people.

Of course I've met decent ones. Just, I'm the opposite of you, you know? I'm trying to show you that I've met my fair share of people too, and overall I actually see no difference between "regular" people and furries. Everyone's a jerk in the right situation.

Right. Let's make this clear, semantically. A club is not the same thing as a group. A club is a body sanctioned by the university, that is eligible to request university funds for any number of purposes. Many things are required for a club, from a constitution to elected leadership, to possible faculty oversight and proof of signatures of interest from a significant amount of other students. Depending on the university/college/whatever, it can be a hell of a process. Yeah people hang out at clubs, but they're still there for something greater. Ideally. I know my school had a videogaming club, but they didn't do much beyond host small tournaments.

This brings us back to the problem of, should furry ever be considered a cause to promote or further? Or just a hobby? Again, this depends on the person. Personally I find it ridiculous how furry could ever be considered a cause, but I respect the fact that others think differently than me. Regardless of the difference in opinion, I don't think it's appropriate for a club on its own. Make a hangout group first and see how that goes. The only reason you ever want to make a club is if you want university funds for trips, events, or equipment, or if you want something leadership-y to pad your resume.

So no, I don't think university funds should ever go to something like promoting the "good" side of furry... mostly because in my subjective experience, most people don't give a damn and don't want your views shoved in their face. I see where this potential club is coming from, but I disagree on many levels for reasons that would start to get too offtopic, so I'm going to withhold my thoughts on that.

What would your opinion be on a club dedicated to demonizing furries more? Just curious.

Tiamat
03-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Just a reminder to keep this thread civil. Thanks guys.

Damian
03-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Actually, that comment isn't directed at Weasyl. I was at a "furry" site where people were asking about drawing and writing about humans, and I asked if I absolutely needed to, and they were like "Yes! You HAVE to draw and write about them, or else you're not a real artist/writer."
That is not what happened. They were talking about how you need to understand anatomy for humans before you can dive in to anthros. If all you know is animal anatomy then try to draw anthros, you'll have an unholy time try to figure it out.

What would your opinion be on a club dedicated to demonizing furries more? Just curious.

The club would be shut down as fast as a furry-centric one would be because it's still a waste of funding. Please don't make this into a "you're all going to demonize furries" thread.

Rory already explained the difference between a club (on that has funding) and a group (just a simple hangout). There are and will be NO SUCH THING as a club that is made specifically to demonize a specific hobby.

Zeitzbach
03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Not really. Some times, maybe. But most times bullying is actually happening.

Different strokes I guess.

Actually, that comment isn't directed at Weasyl. I was at a "furry" site where people were asking about drawing and writing about humans, and I asked if I absolutely needed to, and they were like "Yes! You HAVE to draw and write about them, or else you're not a real artist/writer." Honestly, I disagree that humans are easier to take seriously than animals. I, personally, have a hard time connecting with most human characters.

Ehhhhh, pretty sure the actual reason people tell furry artists to draw humans is so that they will have some basic knowledge on Anatomy if they plan on drawing Anthro. Sure you can cheat here and there but if you don't even know what limbs are you, you will just get mashed up looking monsters that can't even pick a spoon even if it has a normal human hand.

Just a reminder to keep this thread civil. Thanks guys.

IMPOSSIBRU. The state of this college was not stated. It could be in... UKRAINE!

certifiedkowaidad
03-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Excuse me, but I am ethnically-troll and find the preceding to be highly offensive.

start a "Drawing" club instead that also involves con and stuffs. You actually get to share your furries drawings with other people OUTSIDE your fandoms

Isn't that reasonable? Furries seem driven to make everything furry-exclusive. Creating furry versions of things is an unhealthy obsession. There's literally a furry-everything, now. Furry gamers, furry history buffs, furry bowling, even furry houses where every person identifies by their Internet handle in real life.

It might be easier to keep some things to ourselves rather than wear them on our sleeves. Or with ears and/or tails. Many (most?) people who talk about manimals in real life take it too far. Remember that "furry" isn't a legitimate identity, it's a hobby group, and a rather loose one at that.

Willow
03-03-2014, 01:10 PM
In general, a lot of the times, goodguys are hunters, slayers of giant monsters, destroyers of alien space-ships, while a lot of times, badguys are animal lovers, environmentalists, misanthropes, characters I end up feeling upset that they are being portrayed the way they are as usual.
Yeah I haven't seen very many movies where animal lovers of all people are portrayed as that. But I've seen plenty of movies where humans are made out to be the bad guy. I take it you've never seen Fern Gully?

In general, I feel animal lovers and misanthropes are a bit misunderstood. You could always make your own story, but anyone who notices you have a misanthropic hero will likely not be interested.
What world do you even live in where that's true?

Pretty sure groups specifically made to hate/slander a group of people goes against code of conduct anyway so what's your point here?

Ruggy
03-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I think the easiest way to prove to people you're not a dick / horrible person / perverted creep is to just go around and not be those things. If people think so regardless, that's their problem.

(And really, I think I'd be more inclined to think some group I'd never heard of was a bunch of pervs if I had someone tell me, "No matter what you've heard, ___ are totally normal! Not perverted sickos at all!" than someone yelling about how ___ are all sick freaks. I would probably write off accusations as someone with a vendetta and ignore them, but being overly defensive about something leaves more of an impression, to me.)

I could see a space for a furry hangout thing though. I mean, let's be honest, having a strong interest in drawing and building stories around talking animal people, and sometimes making costumes of them is kinda weird. It's a weird I happen to like, but weird. Sometimes it's nice to hang out with people who share your weirdness. (My friends will look at my furry artwork and say 'that's cool' but that's about the extent of it. It's nice to talk to other folks who share the interest sometimes.) But yeah, don't do anything that requires funding unless community service is a huge part of your mission statement (which would be kinda neat, I guess?)

There were some interest hangout groups at my college, though I don't think they were ever official, university-sanctioned clubs. Anime groups everywhere! They mostly consisted of 'let's get together and watch ___' which would've sounded like fun if I liked anime more. :I

Benny Bunnycorn
03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
That is not what happened. They were talking about how you need to understand anatomy for humans before you can dive in to anthros. If all you know is animal anatomy then try to draw anthros, you'll have an unholy time try to figure it out.

...The only real difference in anatomy between humans and anthro characters are the heads. hands and feet, so why can't I just practice drawing a human torso and limbs and go from there? Plus, someone else told me it had to do with writing about anthros. Make up your mind, please. :P

Yeah I haven't seen very many movies where animal lovers of all people are portrayed as that. But I've seen plenty of movies where humans are made out to be the bad guy. I take it you've never seen Fern Gully?

What world do you even live in where that's true?

Pretty sure groups specifically made to hate/slander a group of people goes against code of conduct anyway so what's your point here?

If I have, it's been a while. I'm pretty sure it's something I watched in Elementary school.

What? You mean "Animal lovers and misanthropes are misunderstood" or "People have no interest in misanthropic stuff?" Regardless, I'd rather tell you in note or profile feed. It's off topic and I got a lot to say.

Maybe a group would be better suited for furries. But still, I don't see why there shouldn't be a place for them to get together.

Tiamat
03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Speaking of off topic, I'm requesting that we stick to the OPs topic of starting a furry club at college. This is veering too far off the original question.
Please feel free to continue this in a seperate thread or via private messages.

Thank you.

Damian
03-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Maybe a group would be better suited for furries. But still, I don't see why there shouldn't be a place for them to get together.
Oh my fucking god benny. NO ONE IS SAYING THERE SHOULDN'T BE A GROUP. They are saying that there shouldn't be a CLUB. Clubs are not the same thing as groups. JFC
Stop twisting everything to make it seem like everyone hates furries. THIS IS NOT THE CASE

Benny Bunnycorn
03-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Oh my fucking god benny. NO ONE IS SAYING THERE SHOULDN'T BE A GROUP. They are saying that there shouldn't be a CLUB. Clubs are not the same thing as groups. JFC
Stop twisting everything to make it seem like everyone hates furries. THIS IS NOT THE CASE

What the fuck!? If anyone's twisting words, you are. ...Okay, my post was poorly worded, but still. I'm not trying to say that is the case. A lot of people, however, DO hate furries. And just for the record, you sure act like you hate furries at times. ...But that's not the point.

I personally fully support making a Furry group. It'd be a nice way to get to know other furries and hang out without the need for funding.

Fay V
03-03-2014, 06:15 PM
After reading the thread I don't think a legitimate discussion of the original topic possible any longer, therefore I am going to close this thread. OP, if you would like to discuss a possible reboot for this thread, please feel free to PM me and we'll work something out.