PDA

View Full Version : Who Posts Comics to Weasyl?

Getta
02-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm curious. There's no way to view only comic submissions so there's no way to see what comics are being posted to the site unless you happen to catch them while browsing recent uploads. That said, I have seen more than a handful of users posting comic pages, some one shots and some more regular, so I know they're out there.

Damian
02-15-2014, 06:46 PM
I just happened on one person posting a comic https://www.weasyl.com/~mattrat
Another person I know posts some but they haven't uploaded in a bit so...I forgot who it was >.>

EllenNatalie
02-15-2014, 11:07 PM
I use Weasyl primarily to post my webcomics, particularly Furry Experience pages: https://www.weasyl.com/~ellennatalie

n1ghtmar3
02-16-2014, 01:09 AM
i normally post up the cover to my comic on weasyl to announce when im on the next book,if anyone wants check it out

Vae
02-16-2014, 09:15 PM
What I do isn't so much "comics" as illustrations, sometimes with humorous captions.

If that's up your alley, then you might like the kind of stuff (https://www.weasyl.com/submissions/vae?folderid=40339) that I do.

Although, they're really only a supplement to the material in my blog.

MadMeeper
02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
I dont post my strips to these social art websites, but I do upload previews when the pages get posted!

https://www.weasyl.com/~madmeeper My FA
http://circuit.thecomicseries.com/ and the comics website

lorenith
02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm going to...eventually

I say eventually because the limiting factor is my shoulder, and the fact that even after 2-3 revisions and thumbnails I still end up changing a lot of things working on the final version.

I really just am not cut out to be doing comics lol. But yes, some day very slowly I will be putting my comics on weasyl.

TealMoon
02-19-2014, 02:57 AM
I post my horrific MLP comic. https://www.weasyl.com/submission/439589/the-oblivion-codex

Getta
02-19-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm going to...eventually

I say eventually because the limiting factor is my shoulder, and the fact that even after 2-3 revisions and thumbnails I still end up changing a lot of things working on the final version.

I really just am not cut out to be doing comics lol. But yes, some day very slowly I will be putting my comics on weasyl.

I find it helps to set a time limit for each page, or even each stage of each page.

Give yourself a couple of hours to a day, tops, to work out the layout and thumbnail. Then give yourself a set amount of time to do the line work and finally the colours and finishing touches. Don't worry about each page being "perfect". Generally, an artist's comic work isn't nearly as high quality as that same artist working on a pinup or cover, because they're trying to do so much more within a given amount of time.

With my own comic I set a time limit of one day, generally 8-10 hours. That's for the whole page. This way I keep rolling ahead with the comic. The more days in a week I devote to comic pages, the more pages that get done that week, rather than endlessly revising one page. Yeah, I end up with good pages and not so good pages, but the comic keeps going, and keeps getting better.

This also makes it easy to get ahead, if you're doing a weekly web comic.

lorenith
02-21-2014, 04:12 PM
I've got a batch of 5 right now that I had started working on, and then suddenly my shoulder started hurting a lot and hasn't stopped which is more the problem for me right now than revising at every step.

I'm certain with time though I can do what you suggest. I've done it before when I was younger, but lately my will power has been weak, in addition to my shoulder.

That's really the bottom line actually is I just don't have enough will power to do it right now. Which is something that'll only build back up with practice. I'll definitly take what you've said to heart. :)

That said I don't think I'll ever run a web comicy type of thing. I rather plan out a story ahead of time and do parts of it, cause the way my brain works (super disorganized) if I didn't I'd write myself into a corner almost immediately. Maybe if I get back to where I can work fast and nonstop I can give the appearance of a webcomic with an update schedule, but that'll hopefully be because I just have a buffer of strips from working in batches.

Zombimatic
03-05-2014, 08:20 AM
I posted comics, but they're not long stories, more like one page a gag types of comics.
but now you're talking about it, i'm thinking about posting all my old comics...

EDIT: Haha, because of your post, I had to post my old webcomic
https://www.weasyl.com/submissions?userid=60027&folderid=52349
so.. thanks, I guess? XD

Getta
03-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Those comics are great! You should totally post your old web comic.

Zalcoti
04-17-2014, 10:52 PM
I have one comic page as of today. Hopefully that will change in the future. I'm planning a 13-15 page comic test for later use as a more elaborate art test.

TheMysteriousL
04-25-2014, 11:36 PM
I've been debating posting a comic series on here, but that takes guts. Guts I currently don't have. And my old stuff was terrible...

Getta
04-29-2014, 11:07 PM
Comics are like level grinding for artists. If you can set a schedule for yourself, say one page a week minimum, then keep to that, churning out a page every week for six months or so, you'll see a huge improvement in your progress. You might see the art get better, you might find it easier to churn out pages faster than before, or maybe even both.

TheMysteriousL
05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
I guess I could start a tumblr or an ask thread on here. I just don't know where to start...

Getta
05-02-2014, 11:25 AM
I generally start with an outline. I write down where the comic starts, where the comic ends, and then I figure out how to get from Point A to Point B.

If it helps, I'll maybe list the characters I intend to use in the comic and write a sentence or a brief paragraph about their role in the story. It doesn't have to be super specific or detailed. It's just a way to help me focus my thoughts. And that's the important trick, getting the ideas out of your head and in some form you can actually look at and refine.

Once I have the basic skeleton of a story in the form of the outline, I begin fleshing it out. I add more layers to the outline, more details of the story. I'll break it down into chapters based on what major events happen. Each major event gets a paragraph or so describing what happens at that point in the overall story.

You can then break each chapter down into a separate outline using the same process. Where the chapter starts, where it ends, and all the major events which occur over the course of that chapter. This lets you break each story segment into its own story arc.

From there you can turn your first chapter into a script, or be like me and do it "the Marvel way", sketching out the rough pages based on the outline, then thinking of dialogue later, once the page is finished. But if you do it that way, be sure to leave yourself room for word balloons!

beejazz
10-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I've posted all my pages on Weasyl. One of these days I'll get a site of my own. It's sort of inconvenient that the pages are too big for tumblr, as that's where I've accumulated the most followers.

I just happened on one person posting a comic https://www.weasyl.com/~mattrat
Another person I know posts some but they haven't uploaded in a bit so...I forgot who it was >.>

I was surprised to recognize this. Where have I seen this?

Sireux
10-05-2014, 06:47 AM
I was definitely planning on getting on to doing it, I just never really get the chance due to my courses.
But hopefully I can doodle some short comics and stuff sometime soon!

medacris
10-05-2014, 12:35 PM
I've wanted to write a comic and/or animate for years now, but I can't seem to gather the courage to do it, or know who to ask for advice.

Getta
10-05-2014, 03:24 PM
I was definitely planning on getting on to doing it, I just never really get the chance due to my courses.
But hopefully I can doodle some short comics and stuff sometime soon!
I can relate, I remember how crazy demanding college was. I will say, though, that the time will never make itself, you need to make the time.

Someone once said "Find your passion then do that every evening and weekend for the rest of your life until someone starts paying you to do it."

Even if you can only set aside a couple hours a week, that will still end up being far more progress than none at all. Also, figure out what time you may be wasting. Do you play a lot of vieogames? Watch a lot of television? Could you reduce that time to work on your project instead? Or double up, I do a lot of drawing while letting the TV run in the background. That's how I managed to watch almost all 50 years of Doctor Who.

I've wanted to write a comic and/or animate for years now, but I can't seem to gather the courage to do it, or know who to ask for advice.
Nobody starts out a great artist or writer. Skill comes through practice.

YouTube is a great source for drawing, writing and animation tutorials. Set modest goals to get things rolling, like learning basic drawing skills by going through a series of tutorials. If you're in school of any sort, find out if there's an art instructor whose classes you can sit in on, or who offers after school sessions. Join an art community, either online or through your neighborhood. Sit on on artist drawing streams, watching them work, asking questions, while working on your own drawings.

When you decide to do a project, I recommend starting out small, don't overwhelm yourself with big plans. Maybe a single page or five page comic! Or a 10 second animation, maybe a simple walk cycle or ball bounce.

Noxid
10-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I've posted all my pages on Weasyl. One of these days I'll get a site of my own. It's sort of inconvenient that the pages are too big for tumblr, as that's where I've accumulated the most followers.
I was surprised to recognize this. Where have I seen this?

matt_ratt's comics get posted around a lot. Tumblr, reddit, imgur, who knows.

I like drawing things in comic-format but I dunno if I'd call them comics because there isn't any kind of continuity or story and they also don't have very good jokes and also also there aren't very many

but hey look https://www.weasyl.com/submissions/noxid?folderid=58446

Agitoho
10-08-2014, 08:29 AM
I do a manga: https://www.weasyl.com/submissions?userid=77728&folderid=61717
And yes, "manga" is Japanese for "comics" but I like to use the terms separately to differentiate the styles, so if you want to try your hand at "reading backwards" here ya go! =D

But yeah, I just looked and there is no "Comics" subcategory. Should we, like, suggest that to someone? I mean, I guess you'd have to open the floodgates for sub-subcategories, like comics-->traditional/digital/etc, but I'm pretty sure we can work around it somehow, right?

medacris
10-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Nobody starts out a great artist or writer. Skill comes through practice.

YouTube is a great source for drawing, writing and animation tutorials. Set modest goals to get things rolling, like learning basic drawing skills by going through a series of tutorials. If you're in school of any sort, find out if there's an art instructor whose classes you can sit in on, or who offers after school sessions. Join an art community, either online or through your neighborhood. Sit on on artist drawing streams, watching them work, asking questions, while working on your own drawings.

When you decide to do a project, I recommend starting out small, don't overwhelm yourself with big plans. Maybe a single page or five page comic! Or a 10 second animation, maybe a simple walk cycle or ball bounce.

I have two art degrees, an Associate's and a Minor in Animation. As for how good I actually am, and how much help I may still need, you can judge for yourself (http://medaart.tumblr.com/).

The reason my Minor in Animation isn't a Major is because the teachers at my school were very bad. They weren't very helpful at articulating what I had done wrong, they just stood behind me and watched and told me "Redo this." It made me very nervous and confused. I don't know of anywhere I could go, or which YouTube channels I could turn to that are better at explaining things than my professors were-- if you know of someone or somewhere that could help, please, let me know.

Greykitty
10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I post some of my durpy slice of life comics here (https://www.weasyl.com/submissions/greykitty?folderid=10418). I haven't worked out an actual story or anything so these are just random. Ironing out a good story is a goal of mine someday with a couple characters I came up with a few years ago, but right now I just don't have the time. :X
It would be really cool if this site had a comic category and be able to search by it. :P

Noxid
10-12-2014, 05:59 PM
I think the idea behind the tagging system is that you don't really need categories, so you should just be able to search for whatever +comic and it'll turn up comics. Assuming people tag correctly.

SweetSushi
10-16-2014, 03:54 PM
@Getta

Just wanted to say, all your advice about setting a time limit (like I am a bit of a perfectionist and work slow, and I am afraid I will take too long cause of it O_O), working from point a to b and making time and pretty much just everything you said rlly helps! I am one of those ppl who says want to make a comic but didn't YET. It would be my dream to start and make my own (web)comic stories, but as you see many still struggle or didn't made that lil jump yet. My goal is to slowly finish commissions this year and start making more personal time in the next year and spend that time on my Comic! I am rlly excited, and after reading your tips and tricks, it gives me that lil push that I can do it!

On another note, it would be awesome to have a specific comic section! ♥

Zombimatic
10-16-2014, 06:23 PM
I do!... I plan to do more, tho.. I wish I could have the motivation to make another webcomic ahah

TheKC
10-21-2014, 12:43 PM
I have some random comic pages people have ordered here: https://www.weasyl.com/submissions/thekc?folderid=43986
Thats about all I have on Weasyl, but you can see some series I work on in my sig. =3

I'm always hopping to work on more webcomics. <3

Getta
10-21-2014, 10:01 PM
@Medacris

Looking good! Get involved in an art community, either online or local to you offline. Having other artists to share your works in progress with, getting and giving feedback, helps a lot. Weasyl has its own IRC channel and plenty of artists stream their drawing sessions. YouTube is great for general tutorials, but if it's feedback you're after, then you need to share your work with people.

If nothing else, post to art galleries like Weasyl and FA, and be sure to request criticism.

I can relate to the experience with bad teachers. I've had a few myself. It's frustrating that when you're in college, you don't necessarily have the life experience or skills to recognize you simply have a bad teacher, or how to fix the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the idea behind the tagging system is that you don't really need categories, so you should just be able to search for whatever +comic and it'll turn up comics. Assuming people tag correctly.

That's the idea, but it's wrong-headed.

If you don't give people options, most of the time they'll bumble around aimlessly and leave frustrated and bored. You have to show people what's out there, get them thinking about and excited for the possibilities.