PDA

View Full Version : Musical Instruments?

LeoTheDog
02-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I personally love music.
It's because of that, that I try and pick up as many instruments as I can!
Currently I play:
Guitar
Trumpet
Piano
Ukulele
Mandolin
Ocarina
Drums

I was wonderin', what do y'all play?

Carnau
02-12-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm a little limited on songs but I can play the piano, I have lots of fun on that. I also have an ocarina as well but I don't use it a lot because I'm trying to hide it from everyone in the house.... We're all huge Zelda fans here.
An instrument I really want to try my hand at would have to be the sitar and didgeridoo.

LeoTheDog
02-12-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm a little limited on songs but I can play the piano, I have lots of fun on that. I also have an ocarina as well but I don't use it a lot because I'm trying to hide it from everyone in the house.... We're all huge Zelda fans here.
An instrument I really want to try my hand at would have to be the sitar and didgeridoo.

I want to try both of those out as well! But I really want to get a guzheng or a banjo.

tooiebird
02-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I played string bass for about 10+ years but I stopped a few years ago. It will probably always be my fav instrument. I really wanted to learn accordion too but I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon.

Vae
02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
I've tried piano / keyboard, and acoustic guitar.
I like both of them, but I also suck at both of them. My suck at piano is slightly more tolerable.

rorick
02-14-2014, 01:43 AM
I currently play the fife and have been doing so for about a year and a half. I can play the trumpet and bugle, though not the greatest at either.

I've tried picking up the electric guitar, but I've found I need a teacher to instruct me, and I have no money or contacts. I'm also looking at getting into playing the bagpipes and violin/fiddle soon.

BlissfulOblivion
02-14-2014, 03:58 AM
Psssssssssssssssst we actually already have a thread for this topic! (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?3275-Music-furs!-What-do-you-do) :U

Currently I play:
Ocarina

I also have an ocarina as well but I don't use it a lot because I'm trying to hide it from everyone in the house.... We're all huge Zelda fans here.

Ohh my gosh my jealousy could not be greater ; ∩ ; I wish I had an ocarina...

Batty Krueger
02-14-2014, 05:35 AM
Wheels of steel and electric guitar.

naima
02-14-2014, 09:13 AM
i'm a jazz saxophonist... tis my job n'all :)

if you're interested, here are a few examples of my playing; https://soundcloud.com/mike-sands

i wish i didn't play the saxophone really... i only play it now because i always have done. i wish i could play the double bass

Scifox
02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
I am a flutist. I own a concert flute, but I enjoy playing my wooden, keyed Irish, or any number of low whistles.
I play a bit of piano and guitar as well.

Batty Krueger
02-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Id like to learn how to play a cello.

Tiido
02-15-2014, 03:31 AM
I used to play bass guitar.
Now I play keyboards... computer ones... but I have a MIDI keyboard too that I really should use a whole lot more than I currently do.
When I add MIDI input support to my music tools I'll most likely will be using it a whole lot more haha.

Lennon
02-15-2014, 11:45 AM
It's been my mission to play any instrument I can get my hands on. I can play any key boarded instrument, (piano, xylophone, etc) and various types of guitars. I can play Trumpet, alto sax, harmonica, didgeridoo, the small "penny whistles" and the baritone.

naima
02-15-2014, 06:37 PM
I am a flutist. I own a concert flute, but I enjoy playing my wooden, keyed Irish, or any number of low whistles.
I play a bit of piano and guitar as well.

flute really takes it out of me man... times when i've played it i've been left light-headed after 10-15 minutes. would love to get one and have a good go at it to get used to it, but time is my enemy

koregg
02-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Violin & Drums
Moderate skill in both, definitely much more violin. I probably did a little piano when I was little, but I don't really care for it or remember.

Willow
02-15-2014, 11:53 PM
I played the trumpet for at least 7 years in school. Kind of wish I could have continued it in college but I guess now isn't the time.
I also played timpani for a few years in high school for marching band.

I wouldn't mind picking that back up again too because it was actually kind of fun to play.

Other than that I've taken guitar lessons but I can't really play anything on it.

JackalTeeth
02-16-2014, 12:22 AM
I can play the clarinet!
That's it!
:D

BlissfulOblivion
02-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Violin & Drums
Moderate skill in both, definitely much more violin. I probably did a little piano when I was little, but I don't really care for it or remember.

That's an interesting combination :I

Cause the Rat
02-16-2014, 02:26 AM
Getting back into playing the guitar. Really liking the real old blues stuff. Also trying my hand at singing old blues. Currently making a four string slide guitar.

TheLexicon
02-17-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm terrible at piano despite playing for five years. Thinking of learning to play an electric guitar, but I have no money, no method to learn properly, and I'm so terrible with an acoustic that it's really impossible for me to do any better on a different guitar. Also want to make electronic music, but I'm far too stupid for that, too.

Oh well. At least people think I'm good at playing piano. :/

Aakosir
02-17-2014, 11:25 AM
I've been playing flute since third grade and had dabbled with a guitar. I'm not good with it by any means. I'm still pretty good with my flute.

Rory
02-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Thinking of learning to play an electric guitar, but I have no money, no method to learn properly, and I'm so terrible with an acoustic that it's really impossible for me to do any better on a different guitar.

Starting out with an acoustic is a much more difficult path than with electric. More rewarding imo, but it took a good year for me to stop sounding like total ass. Might've been quicker had I had actual instruction, I'm entirely self-taught. -_-; Anyway, if you can develop good string control, you can get away with some despicable (I use this term in jest, mostly) things on an electric that you could never do on an acoustic. Getting a decent electric guitar, amp, and cables is a bit of an investment, though. If you ever do go down that path, the Epiphone SG (I own one) is a great starter for not that big of a pricetag (like $200 or so; anything less than this is most likely going to be a terrible guitar). Looks sick, solid build, and should last awhile.

As for right now, in my room I've got:

>Breedlove Passport C250 acoustic guitar, my first personal guitar that I bought 2.25 years ago. Done all my learning on it, so it's my baby that I can finally do some justice toward.
>Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar in sunburst, electric, which has a terrible bridge that needs to be replaced but with which I'm doing some direct recordings (would never be able to mic it currently, the buzz is insane).
>Epiphone SG electric in cherry, a cheap starter guitar from way back when that my dad kept around. Much more solid build than the VM Jag, amusingly enough.

In storage (don't have access to), my dad has a vintage Fender Jaguar and one of those tweed amps that I'd love to get my hands on for the first time. We used to have vintage Teles and Strats when I was a kid, but I didn't like guitars at the time. /foolish

My first dream guitars are a Gibson Bluesmaster Keb 'Mo for acoustic ($2k), and a vintage Fender Mustang Competition (also probably $2k and rising). Any color, don't care.

Scifox
02-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Yeah, it can be taxing. But with practice, it can be less so. : )

WillowMouse
02-20-2014, 12:59 PM
I play all the core string instruments, violin, viola, cello, and double bass. I want to learn harp though

BlissfulOblivion
02-20-2014, 05:45 PM
I play all the core string instruments, violin, viola, cello, and double bass. I want to learn harp though

Woooo damn :U That's pretty neat!
I really want to learn harp too, but it's far to expensive and very difficult :c

WillowMouse
02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Woooo damn :U That's pretty neat!
I really want to learn harp too, but it's far to expensive and very difficult :c

the entirety of why I want to learn it is just because harps are literally the most ostentatious instrument you can play tbh. "Oh you play guitar? let me just strum something angelic on my harp here"

Greg
02-24-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm a singer, but I used to know drums, and the trumpet. I tried picking up the piano but as a kid had little patience for it. I'd love to get one of Yamaha's Arranger keyboards, hook it up to my current setup and get into it again!

Blizzard
02-25-2014, 04:44 AM
I was an Ethnomusicology major and got to play all sorts of fun stuff in college.

Gyil Xylophone, drums : funeral music and dances from Ghana

Venda hand drums and reed flutes and dances from South Africa

Played in a steelpan ensemble for a couple years, that was super fun! Mostly played the basses and lower pitched stuff because i didn't have a ton of percussion experience when I started.

Didgeridoo, mine broke a couple years ago though and I haven't replaced it yet.

Was a pretty good Trombone player, but not sure how much Trombone I'll be able to play after my recent facial injury. I no longer have much sensation or muscle control in my lips, but it's coming back little by little.

I play a fretless bass, really want to get an upright, but damn they are big and expensive.

Piano, took lessons as a kid, took classes in college, still not very good, but I can make some cool beats on my midi keyboard.

The obligatory guitar. I'm a terrible soloist but I can play rhythm or finger pick, and I can sing and play a little bit.

Drums: I can play a few beats, but I almost never get to play drums these days so I'm not that great on them.

I've also started beatboxing in the car and the shower, it always starts when I hit my turn signal.

I used to have a really sweet looping pedal and I could make all sorts of cool tracks with that thing if I had a bunch of instruments laying around.

jerry
02-25-2014, 06:49 PM
I started learning piano almost two years ago. I'm still not that great, but I'm slowly improving! I could try it out at first with a cheapo Casio keyboard I had laying around. I loved it so now I have a Yamaha NP-31, and eventually I'll get a real piano.

I may also try drums one day, along with guitar, maybe even cello if I end up getting the one we have in the family.

entsaex
02-27-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm a percussionist and I get a particularly large hadron for found percussion (or found objects in general).

Frank LeRenard
03-01-2014, 11:59 AM
I played bassoon and trombone in high school, then bassoon and contrabassoon in college. Then for a little while after college (before grad school) I picked up trombone again to play with a local brass band that mostly did New Orleans gospel type stuff. I'm pretty good at all three instruments, but I haven't had any opportunity to play them in a few years. I have to say, contrabassoon is my absolute favorite, but it's one of those instruments that's only used in very specific ways and places, and the possibility of owning one myself is negligible because they cost about as much as a small house.

Someday I want to learn the crumhorn, too, just 'cause. I don't know why, but I just love how they sound. Brings you right back to medieval Europe.

Brutus
03-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Don't let that stop you, pursue your contrabassoon dream!

And Crumhorns are pretty nice too, still pretty expensive, but there may be ways to build your own for less than the "professional" ones cost....

Frank LeRenard
03-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Don't let that stop you, pursue your contrabassoon dream!
When I say 'a small house', I'm only exaggerating a little. They literally cost around $30,000. See, look: http://www.wwbw.com/Fox-Contrabassoon-467173-i1429648.wwbw
Granted, that's a brand new Fox one (the high-end American makers of double-reeds), but even used they're both extremely hard to find (the one I played in college was the only one available in the entire state of Nebraska), and they still run you over ten grand. So no, buying one isn't an option, at least not until my novel gets published and becomes a New York Times bestseller.

And Crumhorns are pretty nice too, still pretty expensive, but there may be ways to build your own for less than the "professional" ones cost....
You can get kits to build your own for about half the price of a finished one, but half price still means around $400. Which is do-able, but I'll wait until I have a slightly better income than I do currently before I blow that much money on something silly and awesome like a crumhorn.

Quinn_Silversmith
03-03-2014, 12:18 AM
I mainly play the ocarina, but I have some experience in trombone, french-horn, clarinet, and oboe!

Batty Krueger
03-03-2014, 01:11 AM
My brother is teaching me how to play the trumpet, he gave me his old one to use and practice with. Trumpets are expensive as all hell so Im grateful he let me have his old one. The old one is $2k+, and his new one is like 10 times better and he payed several thousand for it. Sounds amazing.

Dire Newt
03-03-2014, 04:31 AM
i play geetar (it's electric)

Sylvia
04-02-2014, 10:32 AM
I mess about on the guitar occasionally, played trumpet and baritone/euphonium in marching band. Haven't picked up either in like, half a decade though.

StripedPan
04-02-2014, 06:18 PM
I used to play the flute in middle school, though I haven't picked it back up in years. During that time I also tried to mess around with the piano a bit, and recently I've gotten into trying to play acoustic guitar. I'm not really fluent in anything except my old flute, though.

FluffyMuffins230
04-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Despite being limited on what songs I know there's ones are my favorite instruments:

-Piano
-Gutair
-Flute
-Violin
-Ocarina

Yarnix
12-01-2016, 01:07 PM
I used to have a nice little violin when I was little but it quickly became too small for me. I have recently thought about buying a new one. I could play it very well but I think I would be very rusty on it by now :/

Klezmer Gryphon
06-16-2017, 11:06 AM
I play the anglo-concertina, but I've been looking at getting an English concertina for a while. They're not cheap instruments ($500 or so just for a decent one; really nice ones can go for well over $1,000), but they are fun as hell to play.