PDA

View Full Version : Critique Me

ShadWolf
02-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Looking for feedback, information, hints, tips to help me improve better how I draw. I myself know where I must try improve myself, buuuut I feel I struggle trying to achieve how I improve, so I look to you guy's help that could help me along a little to improving. :3

This recently uploaded artwork I uploaded here is looking for some critiques;
~ https://www.weasyl.com/submission/464994/kaijumi [NSFW]

Now before you yapper on where I need to improve, I already know where I need to improve, I just need to know HOW to improve better, anatomy wise. I struggle with drawing hands, feet, and heads, and facial appearances, I struggle with trying to capture gender characteristics of characters to differentiate from Male and Female facial looks, just like in that pic there I just linked.

My style is aimed at Anime-like style, and some anatomically correct build structures of the characters appearances. I need to work at different body types, muscled, fat, athletic builds, take a look at some of my other work examples to see how well I can already do. -- Also as for poses, I was linked by a friend to this site for some pretty nice poses I can work from; ~ http://www.posemaniacs.com/

QT Melon
02-12-2014, 12:00 AM
Now before you yapper on where I need to improve, I already know where I need to improve, I just need to know HOW to improve better, anatomy wise. I struggle with drawing hands, feet, and heads, and facial appearances, I struggle with trying to capture gender characteristics of characters to differentiate from Male and Female facial looks, just like in that pic there I just linked.

I just want to say it doesn't feel welcoming for someone to take time to critique if there is a defensive attitude. I wish you the best though with others who may want to take the time to give you some advice.

xyloart
02-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Hi Shadwolf! Could you label your submission link as NSFW? Gotta think of the kiddos. :)

That pose link is neat. And the only way I know of to improve anatomy wise is to look at real anatomy and try to copy it.

ShadWolf
02-12-2014, 12:30 AM
I just want to say it doesn't feel welcoming for someone to take time to critique if there is a defensive attitude. I wish you the best though with others who may want to take the time to give you some advice.
Ehh…. sorry if it seems like it's defensive attitude, but it's not. :|
Just looking for something that gets strait to the point how I can improve, instead of being told what doesn't look right when I already know what doesn't. Saves being repeated of what I already know.

Hi Shadwolf! Could you label your submission link as NSFW? Gotta think of the kiddos. :)

That pose link is neat. And the only way I know of to improve anatomy wise is to look at real anatomy and try to copy it.
already done.

I've done that quite a bit just from the looks of pose refs, as well as trying to reference from real life anatomy, but I still feel I struggle on.

Hewge
02-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Checked out this thread (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?2465-Art-Resources-(Updatable)) ?

ShadWolf
02-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Checked out this thread (https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?2465-Art-Resources-(Updatable)) ?

Haven't seen that thread til now, thanks. :3

AineCleine
02-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Doing feedback for macro stuff is pretty complicated but letīs see... mmm...

- I feel her arms are quite disproportionated. I mean you got the huge (HUGE) boobs, some thick legs to complement them but some skinny arms?? it seems weird to me, maybe the character is like that but still... they could be slightly thicker.
- The face could resemble a lugia a bit more, this poke got more like a beak-y face. It could make the face looks better, it looks kinda off like that

Thatīs really all I can see, I mean you already know the things you have problem with and the problems in the image. So sorry I canīt give more technical advice regarding hands & stuff, you could seek some help with other members here. Pls donīt kill me.

ShadWolf
02-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Doing feedback for macro stuff is pretty complicated but letīs see... mmm...

- I feel her arms are quite disproportionated. I mean you got the huge (HUGE) boobs, some thick legs to complement them but some skinny arms?? it seems weird to me, maybe the character is like that but still... they could be slightly thicker.
- The face could resemble a lugia a bit more, this poke got more like a beak-y face. It could make the face looks better, it looks kinda off like that

Thatīs really all I can see, I mean you already know the things you have problem with and the problems in the image. So sorry I canīt give more technical advice regarding hands & stuff, you could seek some help with other members here. Pls donīt kill me.

Mm not macro as a whole of doing art, but many things. The character I was draw itself she is macro sized with big boobs ^^;
hmm I didnt notice until now when you pointed out about the arms being too thin, I guess I should work on that a bit ^^
heh…. yeah I suppose the head should look more like that, but I was thinking more anthro , so it's a little difficult conveying that .

zhuria
02-12-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm gonna leave this link here http://www.proko.com/how-to-draw-videos/
If you pay attention to what he says, you can fix all those issues you recognize in your art, it certainly helped me.
Aaaand this one too: http://ctrlpaint.com/library

As for your drawing, I didn't even recognize it was a lugia, sorry.
As every pokemon, Lugia has a very specific head shape and that should be kept in mind when drawing. Its skull also needs to have a back part, you have it almost lined to the line of the neck.
Tail should be thicker where it begins.

I guess that's all I can point out.

wwretched
02-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Honestly, going back to the basics can really help. Break down anatomy, do muscle studies, and just really get your hands dirty and trying to fully understand things. You're off to a good start, but you've still got a ways to go. If you're looking to do an anime style, I suggest you take a look at Slugbox's stuff. He has a pay what you want store (http://awfulslugmonster.com/digitalstore.html) with sketchpacks (a lot of NSFW), so it would be a good investment to buy them. Break apart his style, what works, what doesn't, and so on and so forth. I don't normally advise breaking apart someone's style, but he definitely knows what he's doing and you also seem to have a pretty good direction of where to go.

Your shading could also stand to be touched up a bit. Right now it just sort of seems brushed on to the form, not as if it's portraying the form itself. If you curved it more with the anatomy that would help a lot, and perhaps blending a bit could help too. The texture you're showing right now is a bit furry, so I'm not sure if that's part of the character or whatnot. Just something to keep in mind! In addition, using different colors to shade can go a long way. In that list of resources there's an interactive guide to color--check that out! Using white and black to shade can leave the picture feeling rather dull. Anime often has very vibrant colors, so don't be afraid to push that! Comfort zones are hard to break out of, but once you start treading the line you'll find it easier and easier to do so.

Composition, line depth, and color theory in general can really help you out here. Check out the resource list, I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful links there!

Good luck!