PDA

View Full Version : The Ponies: The Thread

sassySloth
02-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Anybody watch that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic show? (I didn't find another thread for this).

I enjoy the pones. New seasons going well methinks. Latest episode "Simple Ways" was fairly average. Rarity really saved it. Also I'm loving all the Derpy jokes lately. A lot.

How about y'all? And anyone else read the comics?

Ratte
02-12-2014, 01:27 AM
I saw the first season and I think a couple episodes into the second season. I was told the third season was pretty underwhelming so I never bothered to watch any of it. Ponies are pretty alright.

JackalTeeth
02-12-2014, 01:42 AM
I've seen up through season 3. I haven't touched the newest one yet, mostly because I like to marathon seasons. I've heard the same- that it's underwhelming and disappointing. I'll see, though.

Runefox
02-12-2014, 02:03 AM
I saw the first season and I think a couple episodes into the second season. I was told the third season was pretty underwhelming so I never bothered to watch any of it. Ponies are pretty alright.
This in its entirety is my whole experience with ponies. My opinion is much the same: It's alright. It wasn't a major catalyst for change in my life or anything like it seems to be for some people...

Ratte
02-12-2014, 02:08 AM
This in its entirety is my whole experience with ponies. My opinion is much the same: It's alright. It wasn't a major catalyst for change in my life or anything like it seems to be for some people...

I'll be honest, I think a lot of it has to do with it being "not the norm" as far as fandoms/interests go, and the trend did what any trend does and grew over time, to the point where it's, uh, a little less than sane. Like most fandom cores I suppose, ugh.

It's an alright show but there will always be fanatics, etc.

Digitalpotato
02-12-2014, 11:22 AM
I like how they're really downplaying this whole "Hey, let's try and add some kind of continuity to the season with the tree of harmony".

Four episodes into the season and they apparently forgot those keys they had to find ever existed. :P

sassySloth
02-12-2014, 11:38 AM
I like how they're really downplaying this whole "Hey, let's try and add some kind of continuity to the season with the tree of harmony".

Four episodes into the season and they apparently forgot those keys they had to find ever existed. :PAt this point it's pretty ridiculous yeah. I was giving them some leeway, but it's been -a while- since we're heard anything about the key box.

Digitalpotato
02-12-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm sure it'll be covered in the season finale.

Twilight: Alright ponies, let's look for these keys.
other five and Spike: You mean the keys that we've never mentioned the entire season after forgetting about them in episode 3?
Twilight: Of course!
Villain: Muahahaha! I am an evil villain! I have been an important part of Equestria's history!
Twilight: Oh no! I somehow haven't heard of you like I haven't heard of Discord, even though you appear to be important, and Celestia has conveniently never thought to tell me anything.
Villain: What about Sunset Shim-
*Twilight runs up and lights on fire*
Twilight: THERE WAS NO MOVIE!!!
Villain: I am looking for the keys to open this box! You can't beat me.
*random artifacts from the season appear and turn into the keys*
Twilight: We have something else now! DEUS... EX... MACHINA!!!!
Villain: NOOOOOOOOOOEEESSSS!
Celestia: They were right under your noses the entire time, Twilight.
Mane six and Spike: Of course! The lessons we learned the entire season!
Celestia: I knew you would learn these.
Mane Six and Spike: ... you seriously knew the entire time?
Celestia: Of course.
Twilight: Fortunately we're too stupid to call her out on denying crucial information from us!

sassySloth
02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Celestia: I knew you would learn these.LOL. More like Plot Device Celestia.

DameGreyWulf
02-12-2014, 06:48 PM
I quite enjoy the series but I would agree that season 3 was the least likeable.

Really really adore Cheese Sandwich. Do the rubber motherfuckin' chicken dance.

Haven't read the comics. Saw the movie, wasn't.... TERRIBLE but it certainly didn't hold the same quality as the series.

Digitalpotato
02-13-2014, 09:01 PM
So apparently, Ha$bro is doing a continuation of Equestria girls.

Knew it was too good to last. :P A franchise reboot made for little kids (especially girls) that actually treats them like they have a brain, and shows that there is more out there than just "boys *giggle giggle*" and "lol clothes".

Well I guess there's a Sailor Moon remake coming for the girls...

Toshabi
02-14-2014, 12:27 PM
It's only about Discord for me. If it doesn't have discord in the episode, I won't watch it. Much of season 4 has gone unwatched and I regret spending a minute watching season 3

Ratte
02-16-2014, 04:50 PM

Oh god more cheesy animu for my sister to dork about in my direction when I'm home. ]:

It's only about Discord for me. If it doesn't have discord in the episode, I won't watch it. Much of season 4 has gone unwatched and I regret spending a minute watching season 3

So was it really as bad as I've been hearing?

Digitalpotato
02-16-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm surprised Amy Keating Rogers is back working at MLP. o.O

Then again, the hatemail for "Killing Derpy" and the creepmail wasn't what made her work on other things.

piņardilla
02-17-2014, 05:32 AM
I enjoyed it up until the finale of season 2, but the introduction of Cadence and Shining Armor were just too much of an ass pull. Haven't watched it since.

Krespo
02-17-2014, 06:04 AM
It's definitely dipped in quality. I'll only watch now if Discord is in it or there's a guest star I want to see (like Weird Al how did that happen I thought he was dead).

Vae
02-17-2014, 06:09 AM
So apparently, Ha$bro is doing a continuation of Equestria girls.

Knew it was too good to last. :P A franchise reboot made for little kids (especially girls) that actually treats them like they have a brain, and shows that there is more out there than just "boys *giggle giggle*" and "lol clothes".

I actually didn't mind EQG, and I'd like it if they explored that universe a little bit more, depending on how it's handled.

The Sailor Moon anime is rumored (confirmed?) to be about the manga, so EL OH EL, no. Unless multiple impalings, a suicide (more than one suicide?), and basically Space Hitler who turns Moon's friends into zombies to kick the shit out of her and makes out with her boyfriend's corpse is "for the girls."
Maybe the right kind of girls. Lol.
Which I really hope they include. Because it has a coating of frills on it, but the manga is kind of fucking dark.

I haven't really kept up with this season. I haven't seen it since Flutterbat. I should get caught up eventually.

sassySloth
02-17-2014, 08:22 AM
So was it really as bad as I've been hearing?Season 3 is truncated. It's only 13 (I think) episodes. Of those episodes there are a few really bad ones (Spike at Your Service :mad:) and the enjoyable ones can't really save it because the season's so short. Also the season premier was pretty weak.

Is it me or is the fanservice getting really heavy in Season 4? We've had multiple references to The Derp, and now Flutterguy in the latest episode. I like it a lot, but I feel like fanservice like this should have shown up back in Season 2.

Digitalpotato
02-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Is it me or is the fanservice getting really heavy in Season 4? We've had multiple references to The Derp, and now Flutterguy in the latest episode. I like it a lot, but I feel like fanservice like this should have shown up back in Season 2.

Ha$bro has basically learned just how easiy a lot of bronies are to cater to, and if anything, they probably think that if you just put a Derpy here, Dr. Whooves there, and work in a few memes, you can write anything and bronies will love it. (Just look at Equestria Girls and how many bronies love that!)

If I were an animator, I'd secretly replace Derpy's cutie mark with a fan, or draw her fixing an electric fan. Since that's really her special ability. :P

The Sailor Moon anime is rumored (confirmed?) to be about the manga, so EL OH EL, no. Unless multiple impalings, a suicide (more than one suicide?), and basically Space Hitler who turns Moon's friends into zombies to kick the shit out of her and makes out with her boyfriend's corpse is "for the girls."
Maybe the right kind of girls. Lol.
Which I really hope they include. Because it has a coating of frills on it, but the manga is kind of fucking dark.

Apparently not too dark to run in a Shojo magazine - the same one that published Cardcaptor Sakura and Tokyo Mew Mew. If anything this probably says more about Japan than it does the manga itself. (lol X/1999 is Shojo.) Seriously, I bet stuff like "Lord of the Flies" or "To Kill a Mockingbird" probably wouldnt' even be challenged the way it was in the west.

AndiGreyScale
02-18-2014, 03:47 PM
I was sad that season 3 was so bloody short, but am glad season 4 is the typical length.

I'm just really curious to see what the finale will be about. Perhaps Twilight will be expected to travel to another different country like an ambassador. I wanna see those horses from Saddle Arabia (we only got a tiny glimpse of them before).

I'm not sure how I feel about the fanservice to Bronies. I suppose it just reminds me that even a little girls show can be taken away from them by a bunch of dudes. I am also wary of said Bronies (seriously, why not just say you're a fan?).

Matt Conner
02-18-2014, 05:07 PM
I've been grudgingly getting into mlp thanks to my girlfriend, who I'm beginning to suspect of trying to rob me of what little masculinity I was born with x3

it's a cute show though, nice to take your mind off things.

Krespo
02-18-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about the fanservice to Bronies. I suppose it just reminds me that even a little girls show can be taken away from them by a bunch of dudes. I am also wary of said Bronies (seriously, why not just say you're a fan?).

Because that would be a reasonable reaction to a cartoon show. Gotta make a subculture out of it instead of just watching new episodes when they come out and talking about it later :v

Damian
02-18-2014, 09:00 PM

The show isn't completely run by Bronies. There's the occasional nod to them but otherwise not much has changed (other than the quality of the episodes arguably).

As for your last sentence, you can easily just say "Why use Trekkie? Why not just say you're a fan?" "Why use furry? Why not just say you're a fan?" "Why say Whovian? Why not just say you're a fan?"

All in all, it's easier to say "I'm a furry/Brony/Whovian" rather than "I'm a fan of anthropomorphic animas/My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic/Dr. Who"

Digitalpotato
02-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Unless that is, you wish to avoid any potential stigma associated with such a label.

Like say, walk up to my cousin and her husband and say you're a brony. You'll end up with one of two things:
1) A punch in the face
2) They turn around and start running.

AndiGreyScale
02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
The show isn't completely run by Bronies. There's the occasional nod to them but otherwise not much has changed (other than the quality of the episodes arguably).

As for your last sentence, you can easily just say "Why use Trekkie? Why not just say you're a fan?" "Why use furry? Why not just say you're a fan?" "Why say Whovian? Why not just say you're a fan?"

All in all, it's easier to say "I'm a furry/Brony/Whovian" rather than "I'm a fan of anthropomorphic animas/My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic/Dr. Who"

I'd argue that Trekkies and Whovians don't have the same negative conotations like Brony does.
And I always thought that in order to be a Furry you actually had to be a Furry, not just a fan of the art. I'm a fan of the art, but I am in no ways a Furry.

I have no problems saying I'm a fan of My Little Pony. Not hard to say or write out, and I don't have to worry about the horrible stigma Bronies got.

sassySloth
02-24-2014, 08:58 AM
On Twilight Time: Man Sweetie Belle's VA is growing up :P I always love CMC episodes but I thought this was a particularly good one. Mostly because I didn't know exactly how it would turn out. Also it's pretty funny how everyone in town knew Twilight pre-princess and didn't think that much of her, but now they treat her like royalty. Granted she is 'royalty', but it's awkward that people who already knew her are like "WOW A PRINCESS."

Digitalpotato
02-24-2014, 10:57 AM
^ lol, really? That's almost like Twilight mentioning she has a brother out of nowhere at the end of season-oh wait a minute.

I'd argue that Trekkies and Whovians don't have the same negative conotations like Brony does.
And I always thought that in order to be a Furry you actually had to be a Furry, not just a fan of the art. I'm a fan of the art, but I am in no ways a Furry.

I have no problems saying I'm a fan of My Little Pony. Not hard to say or write out, and I don't have to worry about the horrible stigma Bronies got.

Well, Trekkies do have some of the similar negative connotations of "Brony", mostly due to the surprising amount of Monomania that's present within the Trekkies. The reason people are creeped out by bronies who say "Everypony" or "Somepony" in everyday conversation or trekkies who speak klingon? It isn't so much that you like the show - it's how much you like the show. It's not as "accepted" as something like sports so people are a little creeped out.

For the record, I'm just as creeped out about sports monomania as anything else - the last time dad brought me to a sports game, some dude ripped off his shirt and had the team logo tattooed on him, while the person next to him ripped of his shirt and had his body painted the team colours, and that not all of it, either. I felt very uncomfortable being within the same room as those people.

Damian
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM

So how do you....be a furry? Because down to it's core, furry is a fan of anthropomorphic animals. You dont have to make a fursona, you don't have to go to cons, you don't have to do art of furries, etc.

Also even with saying you're a fan of MLP, there's still a stigma.

sassySloth
02-28-2014, 09:48 AM
The latest Friends Forever comic had Discord with the CMCs. It was kindof adorable.

https://dyn0.media.forbiddenplanet.com/products/diamond/STK630/STK630553.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg

Carnau
03-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I enjoy this show but unfortunately had to draw the line once I started college. It's not even about maturity, it's just that I don't have the time for a series anymore. ^^; Other shows I've needed to put off where the walking dead, breaking bad, boardwalk empire, welcome to night vale, amazing world of gumball, ect.

Also, look at my awesome Celestia cushion C: look at it, you must:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/b88hv4.jpg

sassySloth
03-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Also, look at my awesome Celestia cushion C: look at it, you must:I want it. It would be cool if it had Luna on the reverse side.

Carnau
03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I want it. It would be cool if it had Luna on the reverse side.
Oh my god that is quite the! Now if only I could sow haha.

sassySloth
03-31-2014, 04:19 PM
I think I already asked, but does anyone follow the comic series? I really love this new arc. I'm pretty sure Cook and Price always get the best arcs.

Celestia is honestly one of my favorite pones so I like that we get to see her past. But I there's some good mystery in the story and those panels of Celestia beat up at the end were pretty dark! Looking forward to the remaining 3 issues.

therainbowtroll
03-31-2014, 07:55 PM
I am so obsessed with the show omg wow. My gallery is full of ponies X3

Groovy Salade
04-01-2014, 08:49 AM
I really liked the first season of MLP:FiM the second season was ok but not as good and I have yet to see the 3rd season but I plan on watching it sometime. Overall I enjoy the show because it has very postive messages and morals and appeals to a more general audience.

Digitalpotato
04-05-2014, 11:21 PM
When Pinkie Pie is rapping, you know that there is a shark coming closer to the ponies...

Art Vulpine
04-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Ah I knew that there would be a thread for ponies here eventually.

I am a fan of MLP since Summer of 2011. I do like the show and the fandom that was created from it, especially for the creativity in the form of art, music, fanfiction, and roleplaying. I personally contribute to the MLP fandom by drawing, writing an occasional fanfiction, and roleplaying. I have also attended a convention each year.

As far as favorite characters, Twilight Sparkle is my favorite Mane Six, Princess Luna is my favorite Princess, Sweetie Belle is my favorite Cutie Mark Crusader, and Zecora is my favorite secondary character.

sassySloth
04-06-2014, 02:09 PM
When Pinkie Pie is rapping, you know that there is a shark coming closer to the ponies...Damn. I was trying to sweep that under the rug and pretend it didn't happen.

Even though I'm pretty sure I heard Lauren Faust turning in her proverbial grave.

Digitalpotato
04-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Damn. I was trying to sweep that under the rug and pretend it didn't happen.

Even though I'm pretty sure I heard Lauren Faust turning in her proverbial grave.

She's been turning in her proverbial grave since this monstrosity entered preproduction.

http://feminspire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Equestria-Girls2.jpg

Toshabi
04-11-2014, 10:42 PM
It's too bad this show dropped off so hard in quality since season 2's end.

Groovy Salade
04-12-2014, 12:56 AM
I really liked the first season of MLP:FiM. The second season was, ok. I haven't seen the third season yet but I plan on watching it eventually. I love the art style mostly, and the fact that the show has very positive messages.

sassySloth
04-13-2014, 11:36 AM
She's been turning in her proverbial grave since this monstrosity entered preproduction.

http://feminspire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Equestria-Girls2.jpgWE MUSTN'T SPEAK OF IT.

For the most part I'm really liking season 4. Five eps left! Looking forward to the ridiculously titled "Twilight's Kingdom." finale.

therainbowtroll
04-17-2014, 01:49 PM
We all know its going to involve rainbows....

Im going to be on /mlp/ to listen to all the whining when the premiere starts lol

Digitalpotato
04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
I bet you anything they'll suddenly remember that they were supposed to have some kind of overarching goal to their season at the finale even though they spent 90% of the season pretending it didn't exist. :P

sassySloth
04-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I bet you anything they'll suddenly remember that they were supposed to have some kind of overarching goal to their season at the finale even though they spent 90% of the season pretending it didn't exist. :PYeeeahh. In the beginning I was like "OK maybe they'll get back to the lock box in the next episode or two." But nope they actually held it off all season. Weird.