PDA

View Full Version : Scars make better stories than tattoos.

Blizzard
02-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Scars, just about everybody has them.

List your scars and their stories, pics are cool too, I'll go first.

Small line on my forehead: I was building a fort out of the couch when I was 5 years old, and tried to use a cushion as a bridge to the coffee table. The table collapsed, and I slammed my forehead against the coffee table. 5 stitches and my first concussion.

inside of right eyebrow, a small line on the bridge of my nose, the right side of nose, right side of my mustache region, and a bigger one on the right side of my bottom lip and chin: Road rash and lacerations from my most recent bike accident that left me with a shattered face, and no memory of what happened.

Bottom of chin: Was snowboarding in the Snoqualmie Pass terrain park and on my last run of the day I went to boardslide a down rail, didn't ollie enough and caught my toe edge and slammed my chin into the rail. 6 stitches.

Bottom and left side of chin: A couple months after the snowboarding scar healed, I crashed my bike on some railroad tracks on the Burke Gilman Trail in Ballard, Seattle. I went over the handle bars and slammed my chin into the pavement. I reopened the previous wound, extended it and got a bunch of gravel stuck in it. This sucked. 8 stitches.

Left Shoulder, silver dollar sized: went over my handlebars my first night as a bike messenger. Rode out the rest of the shift. Everybody was impressed that I toughed it out, and let me keep the job, even though I had showed up drunk for my first shift.

Right shoulder one quarter sized and one silver dollar sized: another trip over the handlebars when I was off duty. I got onto my brakeless fixie on a steep hill and couldn't get into my clips, started picking up too much speed. Tried to pull a jamaican skid stop by trying to catch my foot underneath a pedal in front of me and pull up on it while pushing down on the other one, but it didn't go well, I ended up swerving into an alleyway, hitting a pothole and going flying. I decided to put a brake back on for a while after that, but now my bike is brakeless again, and I'm using clipless pedals and just trying to be a lot smarter about where and how I ride.

Left wrist: Broke it skateboarding and had pins put in to fix it. The scar runs along my lifeline into my palm. About 8 stitches I think.

Left and right hips: road rash from assorted bike and skateboard accidents.

Left shin: Clipped my shin on a rail really hard while fruit booting when I was about 8 or 9.

Right ankle: Broke it in a jousting accident when I was in college. It was a spiral fracture of the fibula, and I had to have a large plate and 6 big screws put in to hold it together. A lot of stitches... 12 or 13 or something. I was playing "Beer Spear" or Wizard Staff with some ski and snowboard instructor friends. In this game, you tape all your empty beers together into a giant spear, and once you drink your height you become a Wizard. We were doing "human jousting" where one person is the horse and one person is the rider with the spear and you crash into another horse and rider until someone falls down and is defeated. Comedy gold until Blizzard breaks his damn ankle.
I ended up at the bottom of a pile of people and my ankle was doneski.

Thumb: sliced myself with a box cutter accidently, while opening grain bags. I was milling in for a big batch of beer at the brewery I worked at. Luckily no blood got in the grain, and I was able to seal it with super glue and get back to work quickly.

That's all the good ones. There are a few others on my feet and hands but they don't have awesome stories.

Now it's your turn.

-Blizz

Ley
02-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Right side of face: I had a skin tag and I got pissed off one day so I cut it off with rusty nailclippers.

Left hand, side of palm: I was a lazy asshole as a kid and I shoved a broken glass jar under my bed. A few months later while I was cleaning, I stuck my hand in, went 'OW', pulled my hand out and there was a huge shard in my hand. Took it out, bled everywhere, passed out.

Right knee: Falling a whole bunch.

Left Knee: skidding down 30 ft of asphault

I am not a smart man.

Gamedog
02-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Left thigh: About 4 inch long, 1cm wide, was moving a couch in shorts and there was a staple sticking out that was holding the fabric on, it slicked up my leg and I continuously picked at the scab because it's a habit.
Top of right ear: Had my cat on my shoulder as a kid and he turned to jump off, got his claw stuck in my ear.
Palm of right hand: about 1cm, cut my hand open on a stick in the ground while running around on all fours as a kid.
Right middle finger: All the way across the last joint, stuck my finger in a rabbit cage when I was a kid.

Rory
02-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Giant one down the center of my chest to my stomach, heart surgery as a baby. :) Gets all the looks out on the beach. Mostly joking. Also comes with tube scars under each pectoral.

Big one down the front of my right ankle. From playing basketball on an outside, wooded court with friends. Game got too intense, and I got shoved off the court while going for a lay-up in mid-air, landing right on a sharp stick that gashed into me.

Stitches scar above left eyebrow, from getting smashed in the face with a giant rock tumbling down a hill when I was young, from two girls who were arguing over which could play with me. xD

And I've lost count of the smaller ones. Those are the big three. Would take pictures of my chest, but doubt y'all want to see that.

Carnau
02-09-2014, 08:09 PM
I have a long one on my right knee, It goes all the way from the top of my kneecap to the top of my tibia. I was playing on a beach one day as a child and It scraped against a sharp broken shell.

2nd one is really embarrassing X______X;;; I ran into a bench when I was like 7 and needed six stitches on my left knee. It was one of those metal ones with the pointed corner.

3rd one is beautiful. Has anyone here seen Hannibal? I have the same shoulder scar that Agent Clarice Starling has. Same location, shape, same everything. And nooooo no one shot me haha, I got a blood clot in my artery and needed to have it surgically removed. For a while people jokingly nicknamed me Clarice, whispering it behind me.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--UnjnXALHc0/UEeZmfTnXzI/AAAAAAAAK9k/TAtOMRHWrg8/s1600/Hannibal-Lecter-holding-clarice-starling.jpg

Kanagrooboy
02-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Top of left foot: deep road rash from falling into a baseball slide while downhill skateboarding.
Left knee: same incident as above.
Right knee: BMX
Left eyebrow. Friend got drunk, kicked a door open just as I walked by. Went on for about 12 more hours before passing out, had a minor concussion.
Both hands and forearms: multiple 2nd degree burns from work.
Sole of right foot: ripped open by water polo goalpost that had deteriorated into something nasty & sharp after years of sitting in water.

Willow
02-09-2014, 08:58 PM
I have one in the middle of my back. From what I've been told it's from when I had chicken pox. I think I was about 3 or 4 when I got them.

There's one on my right knee from having knee surgery. There was a tumor growing on the side of the bone and it got wrapped around some tendons. It was benign though so no worries.

I've got a few little scars on my left leg (or maybe that was my right too) after being hit by a car. Luckily the car hit the bike more than it hit me. It's actually a miracle I didn't bruise my tailbone or anything though because I landed right on my ass.

There's a burn mark on the right side of my face (near the temple) from a pressing comb.

I have a pretty good scar on my right arm from walking into the handle of a bass drum. It didn't seem so bad until it started scabbing over though.

And then I have another one under my chin from passing out on my bathroom floor. I probably should have gotten stitches for it though because it was pretty deep. Still have no clue why I passed out though. I got really nauseous and dizzy and then next thing I know I'm laying face down in my bathroom.

Most of the other scars I've had are either from cats, insects, or they're too healed to see.

Vae
02-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Back of right upper arm: My parents had a large dog that I foolishly took out on a leash when I was way too young to be controlling it, and it took off after an animal, and dragged me hard into one of the fence stakes around a neighbor's trees. Pole tip tore into my arm, and up the length, from my elbow. It's a small scar, now, but still noticeable if you look for it.

Left knee: I was riding my bike down a hill, as a kid, and took a really sharp turn and fell onto the road pretty hard.

Left eyebrow: My eyebrow piercing rejected.

Both shoulders: Lots of noticeable lines from when I was in a pretty bad place in my head, late in high school. I would just get in the shower and grind at my skin with blades, until I couldn't feel anything anymore.

Hands: Lots of little marks from cat scratches and such.

Face: Some acne scarring, because I pick at my skin way too much.

Infestissumam
02-10-2014, 01:37 AM
ZIT-SCARRED AND UNPOPULAR, yeah I have some acne scars you wanna fight they make me look tough.

Other than that, I have three scars on both sides of my chest from surgeries involving fixing my collapsed lung/preventing the other from also collapsing. There were lovely tubes shoved inside my body and sitting up was excruciating.

Lucy Bones
02-10-2014, 01:46 AM
Lessee...

One on my forehead: Caused by a really dumb kid with a golf club. A lot of blood was spilled.

Two on my right shin: The little spokes on metal bike pedals. They hurt.

One on my right thigh: My ex-manager was a fucking idiot and left a coffin with real screws sticking out of it in the room I was supposed to act in.

Llama
02-10-2014, 02:48 AM
When I was 7, I was playing tug-of-war with my dog in our back yard. The object we were tugging on was an old, shredded bicycle inner tube. She had the end with the valve stem (where you put the air in when it goes flat) and she let go. It was stretched pretty good, so it came flying at me too fast to react, and the valve stem hit the bridge of my nose directly between my eyes. It came at an angle, so the resulting scar was a crescent moon shape on my nose. It faded over the years as my head grew and the skin stretched out, and finally disappeared completely.

Scar #2 is nearly as old, but is still barely visible. It's a surgical scar in the............groin area. Yeah, not going into more detail on that.

Scar #3 is much more recent, and it comes from a night of too much drinking. There was a huge party at a house not meant to hold the number of people that were there. I could barely move around inside, so I went out for fresh air. As I was walking along the sidewalk, I hit an uneven spot and face planted. It resulted in a minor concussion with a scar in my right eyebrow where I hit, much blood and puke, and 8 hours of my life I don't remember, after which I woke up in the hospital. It was fun telling Mom about that...

Hewge
02-10-2014, 02:50 AM
What about when it's a scarred tattoo? :v

The only scar I got is a small one on my belly near my belly button. I don't actually know how I got it, but apparently I was highly accident prone since I was crawling.

Blizzard
02-10-2014, 03:15 AM
I forgot about all the ones in my mouth. I bit my tongue a little bit in that bike crash so that has a scar now, and I've got scars on the inside of my upper and lower lip from the impact, and scars from screws they put all over all over my jawbone to hold them in place while they made a bunch of incisions under my lip so they could put some screws and plates in to reconnect my upper jaw back to my skull, and put my cheekbones back together. So my mouth is a mess right now with all that stuff still healing.

Batty Krueger
02-10-2014, 04:47 AM
I have plenty of scars, like.. a metric shit ton of them. But the one thats most significant is the one on the left side of my groin due to my orchiectomy.

R.I.P. number one. :(

Oh and scarred brain tissue when I cracked my head open on a curb while riding my bike, had a golf ball sized hematoma in the center of my brain when I was 13. The scar tissue still shows up on cat scans to this very day. And that was with a helmet on, if I wasnt wearing a helmet I would have died.

Chuchi
02-10-2014, 08:34 AM
I have lots of scars but most of them are pretty mundane. :\

Uh, let's see... I have a scar on my abdomen from a Caesarean-section when I had my daughter.
I have one on my right forearm from my mom, got me with her harpy-claws. e_e Loooong time ago.
One on my inner left thigh from a bottle rocket or something, I can't remember. Happened when I was a kid.
The edges of my tongue are rough and scarred because it's apparently too big for my mouth and I chewed it a lot as a kid and while I slept.
Tons of scars from when I was an idiot.

I actually have tattoos to hide some of my scars though. Stories I'd rather forget. :3

Dire Newt
02-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Got a small scar on my forehead from when I was ~6 years old. I tripped and fell in the kitchen and my head kind of exploded.

PapayaShark
02-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Scar under my lip from falling on the ice and biting through the skin when I was a baby.
Huge scar on my knee from getting lifted up and slammed into the ice by some douche. And my doctor can't stitch for shit so it opened a day later and got infected.
Scar on my nasal root from when my mum cut me with a pair of scissors.

And a metric-ton of other random scars, and a lot I want to forget.

Rinzy
02-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Nick on my eyebrow (almost entirely invisible now): Was spinning around our living room as a kid, whacked my head against the corner of our old Magnavox TV. Hit right next to my temple and scared the shit out of my mom.

Scars on knees: Various skating-related falls. All you need to know is that there's not much non-scar tissue left there.

Scar on my hip: Was skating down a hill, got speed wobbles at around 20mph, went flying and ripped my hip open. You could see the ligaments and everything. Walked about 4 miles back home and let it heal up without scars, because in high school, I was super xhardcorex

Scar on my foot: Learned the hard way about putting a slightly frozen porkchop in smoking oil.

Scar on my middle finger: Learned the hard way not to procrastinate on school projects, nor to force a mat cutter through a piece of warped mat.

Scars on my arms: In high school, I had convinced myself that it was the only way to make myself feel better. Long story short, it didn't, and I stopped doing it.

Pine
02-10-2014, 10:22 PM
left eyebrow: when I was a baby I crawled headfirst into an entertainment center
left hand: left by a patient at work who dug his fingernails into me
left palm: got stabbed in with a pencil
left bicep: cigarette burn
left inner elbow: a stupid nurse didn't know what she was doing when she was drawing my blood
right hand: surgery scar from fracture

I have numerous chicken pox scars because I was stupid and picked them when I was little.
My left arm as the worst luck.

TeenageAngst
02-10-2014, 11:26 PM
I have a scar on my bottom lip and 3 scars on my left knuckles. Let's just say they're related.

Dreaming
02-11-2014, 12:39 AM
Four white scars on my knee, 4-5cm long, I've no idea where they came from but they conveniently match my dog's claws. I've also got dozens of scars across my chest and... well that's just something else

Dio
02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Back of my head: When I was about a year and a half old, I was walking down the hallway and my uncle (who was about 12 at the time) jumped out from the bathroom to surprise me. I was surprised and fell backward into the corner of the wall.

Backsides of both my left and right wrists: Surgery to remove two cysts.

Abdomen: Tons of minor ones from dogs with unclipped and ragged nails.

Butterflygoddess
02-11-2014, 05:34 PM
I've got a scar on my left thumb from when my bro slammed a screen door on it as hard as he could at age 4. It's faded quite a bit, but its still there, giving a smooth white-ish texture.

We were both quite mischievous kids that way.

Matt Conner
02-11-2014, 05:42 PM
As far as I can remember, I only have two scars. One is just a little lump of flesh on my thumb from where I mistakenly touched the stone gate/cover for a particularly hot wood stove, and the other is a big fat red ring that's pale white in the middle (kinda looks like a sun) on the back of my thigh. It's almost gone now, but I've had it since I was four years old. Basically, I tripped backwards over a little kid sized grill and fried my leg on white hot coals. I had to go to the hospital and have the dead flesh ripped from my leg with a big scary looking hook, but the worst part was easily the recovery. ugh, so many changed bandages, popped blisters, and itching. Oh god, the itch. I can still feel it.

MEEHOO
02-11-2014, 06:16 PM
I only have one scar on my left elbow which I got around the age of 13 I was trying to escape some unsavoury characters while running through the forest I tripped and shredded it on broken glass but I ignored it got up and ran like hell

SirCoffeecup
02-11-2014, 08:38 PM
I've a scar on my left forearm from when I was about 8, and me and my neighbours decided to scrape as much skin off to see who could take the most pain :/ Silly competitions.
My left hand has a round scar from the 3rd grade, when I tried to do art with a woodwork spike, and instead of hitting it to the lump of wood, I hit it deep in my hand.

I'm not sure, but I got two deep scrapes in my right wrist area from my mechanical pen. I answered a couple of questions wrong and after a bad day, dealing with a little pain was better than dealing with shame. I think these two scrapes will make scars so that's why this is here.

Tiido
02-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Big one on my left ass cheek :
Got it when I was 4 months old and my drunk uncle who was holding me stumbled and I fell on a stove with him. That scar used to be a whole lot bigger

Small one on my left eyebrow :
I climbed on a chair and fell and busted my eyebrow. Lot of people notice the lack of hair in one spot in that eyebrow.

Couple tens of burns on my hands, mostly from soldering iron accidents, sometimes from other fire or stove related oopses.

Around 10 cut marks on my fingers from various oopses with knives+food making, sometimes when preparing razor blade for something.

There's plenty of them on my feet too, from bicycle related accidents aswell as falling down from trees and buildings.

wwretched
02-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Right side of bridge of nose--chickenpox scar. My brother has one in the same spot.

Inside of left elbow - needle scar. I get blood drawn a lot because of my thyroid, so it just ended up leaving a mark.

Thighs, left wrist, bottom of stomach, ankles - self-harm scars. Started when I was 12, been clean for about four months! Some scars are more noticeable than others, but they're all there.

I believe that's it!

EDIT:
Left ankle - blob that used to look like England. Got it from an icepack after I busted my ankle up pretty good on the hurdles at track. I don't know if it leaked or anything, but it's years old and barely visible now.

Saga
02-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Ive got a long trench kinda on the top of my head because I slipped on ice and cracked it open when I was 7.

A scar on my left hand from doing the eraser challenge (rubbing it on you until you can't take it anymore)

A scar on the tip of my right thumb from dropping a knife on it and there's another on the top of that hand from it being stabbed.

A blob of a scar on my right bicep from a ricocheted bullet (stupid friends + clueless me + guns = shot) and finally a crater on my thigh that came from some skin blemish that kept coming back in different colors. Never knew what it was :/

KumatoraKazooie
02-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Right cheek: dog bite from my cousin's dog when I was 3 years old.
Various spots on the face: acne
Right shin: scrapped on a wooden box I used for holding books as a kid in my closet while trying to get something off the top shelf by jumping.
Down my spine and horizontally on my right side: Scoliosis surgery to put in rods to straighten my back after my freshman year of high school
Thighs: stretch marks from gaining weight after I lost quite a bit after said back surgery

JackalTeeth
02-12-2014, 01:49 AM
I've got one on my upper lip from running into a wall with a nail sticking out of it as a child. A small one on my right hand from burning it in middle school. Multiple on my arms from various instances- cats, sliding down rocks as a kid, etc.

Matt Conner
02-12-2014, 05:05 PM
I've a scar on my left forearm from when I was about 8, and me and my neighbours decided to scrape as much skin off to see who could take the most pain :/ Silly competitions.

I'm starting to think that all Finnish kids are just like that. I have fond memories of my cousins and I wrestling, beating each other up with sticks, and having breath holding competitions that have nearly ended in one of us drowning at least once.

dirtypaws
02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
When i was in middle school, a dog stepped on my while i was asleep and i had a huge gash on my collarbone and i told some kids i got stabbed. it's since faded, probably because i used up the "i can make this into a cool story" magic in it.

Aakosir
02-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Can't say I agree with the title, but scars are fun. I have one from the bottom of my nose, down my top lip from my mom's cat. One along my middle finger because of surgery. One in my eyebrow where my brother pushed me off a stool when we were kids. None too exciting though. My tattoos and piercings are far more exciting.

Xolani
02-19-2014, 03:55 PM
I have a scar on the inside of my lip and chipped teeth:

Posting as a link to save unwitting people of the view of the inside of my mouth (http://i.imgur.com/sj0yUq6.jpg)

The story is that when I was 16 or 17, I had a seizure at a restaurant, and a bystander was under the mistaken impression that first aid protocol for people having a grand-mal seizure is to put something into their mouth to prevent them from swallowing their tongue, so she rammed a spoon down my mouth.

She managed to trap my lower lip between my teeth and the spoon, and my teeth grated against the spoon and chipped.

The scar isn't incredibly visible in that photo, and as for the chipped teeth, the right incisor next to the canine (left on the photo) and the short, stumpy left canine (right on the photo) are the most obvious ones.

Remember, kiddos, don't be an idiot when you try to do first aid.

Demensa
02-20-2014, 11:52 PM
I have a tiny scar next to my eye.
Apparently I was spinning around, got dizzy and accidentally hit my face on the corner of a desk.

There's also a small one on my finger from cutting myself with a knife by accident. I think I might have been cutting a lime.
Not the most exciting stories really.

Ratte
02-21-2014, 03:05 AM
Underside of chin: I was playing leapfrog at daycare and, as the kid jumped over me, his ass hit my head and my chin hit the floor really hard, with its nasty grey carpet tearing the skin.

Corner of mouth: I tripped over a metal pole I didn't see and smashed my face on the edge of a table, chipping my front teeth and biting the corner of my mouth as I hit the edge.

Both knees: Was riding my bike when I was a kid, still not quite used to it. Rode through the alley to avoid some assholes and got too close to a pothole. Needless to say I hit the pothole, my bike bucked me off, and I landed on my knees in some gravel.

Right hand: Burned my fucking hand trying to get my family's dinner out of the oven. :| The tin it was in was really goddamn heavy.

Left index finger: My own fucking fingernail managed to pull this off, and years later I'm still not sure how.

Left wrist: Bad times.

Willow
02-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Geez, I forgot about the scar on my right pinky.

I gashed the top of it on a locker. Didn't seem so bad at first until it wouldn't stop bleeding and I realized that it'd actually taken a pretty good chunk of skin. I probably should have gotten stitches for it too because it was pretty deep.

Tiger
03-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Scar on my chin from falling out of a top bunk in a bunk bed, scare on my forehead for accidentally running headfirst into a TV, and a scar almost on my left eyelid from falling off a chair and hitting my face in the corner of a desk (very close to my left eye).

Ruggy
03-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Almost all of mine are surgery-related*. Three foot surgeries and a breast reduction. Not pretty scars by any means, but the surgeries were worth it.

*Except for the one on my right wrist. Me and a hot oven rack had some... disagreements. :I

Auriel Kitsu
07-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Was run off the road while riding my old Kaw 750 with my girlfriend by a couple of rednecks that thought it would be funny to kill us "'Cause it's just not right that girl being a race traitor and all". At least that's what they said when the cops came to collect them. Hillsboro, Ohio, you just have to love these small midwestern towns that civilization hasn't reached yet. Ended up with both of us needing skin grafts. I had about a 2 to 3 inch strip of skin left on the inside of my left arm. The rest of it looked like a scene from the invisible man. You could see my muscle and bone in a few places. While the doc was pulling pebbles and flushing out embedded debris from my wounds I caught his eye and said, "That's going to leave a scar isn't it?" to which he responded in typical country fashion, "That would be a sure bet kid." The next thing I know he sticks a needle full of something into my IV and just as I was asking him what that was everything turned to black.

Moogle
07-27-2014, 05:35 AM
Scars definitely do make for good tales! Gettin' some good laughs from you guys. XD 3 on my chin, all separate times but same incidents. One in between my eyes, brothers got sweet aim. Think my latest one was the slit on my hand - I wanted to prove that safety scissors don't cut skin.. :3

Matt Conner
07-29-2014, 01:31 AM
I might have already told this story in this thread earlier, so forgive me:

There's about a centimeter long scar right at the top of my head, just barely covered by my left eyebrow. I was at a movie theater with my friends, and I was walking pretty fast down the dark corridor on either side of the seats to catch up with them, large soda in hand. Some girl comes flying around the corner and bashes heads with me, opening up a super bloody gash on my forehead. She must have had a piercing I hit or something because she was completely fine. When we bonked heads she went down on the ground in the fetal position, and her boyfriend was like comforting her and asking if she was okay. I was just a little jarred, so I came over to ask if she was okay too. She looked up and took one look at me, then bounced right back to her feet and said "I'm fine!" I was confused at first, until I touched my head and my hand came away wet. I spent the whole movie sitting there with a paper towel pressed to my face, and I must have gone through like twenty of the damn things. I spilled my whole drink too. :<

gupey
08-10-2014, 06:06 PM
-acne scar on my face
-large scar on my knee from a bike accident, still a couple of pebbles in it (gotta get these removed, i know)
-various hand scars from harassing my cats when i was a toddler
-pock mark looking scar on thumb from punching mirror
-patch of very faded scars from self harm in middle school
-large patch of scars of many various sizes on thigh from self harm in high school + shortly after
-small scar on top of foot from some woman tapping cigarette ashes onto my foot ????? fucken weird