PDA

View Full Version : Lucid dreaming: a crash course in 5 lessons.

SammyFox
08-16-2012, 10:45 PM
1) understand the mechanics behind lucid dreaming.

Lucid dreaming involves some strange logic. here's how it goes: to be lucid you need to be aware of your dreams. to be aware of your dreams, you must remember your dreams.

This means that to be able to achieve lucidity in the dream you're having, you have to be able to remember you were lucid in that dream AFTER you wake up.

Still following me? It gets easier.

See, to be lucid, you need to be aware you're dreaming. if you can remember your dreams well, then you are aware you are dreaming, albeit you are not self-aware of your surroundings and the inherent chaos of your dreams, and you don't pick up on anomalies (more on that later) so it's less playing a video game and more watching a movie.

The abstract steps are: rise and shine (wake up) -> be in the past (remember dream Y) -> be the writer (write details from dream Y into dream diary) -> be the spectator (see dream Y unfold like a movie) -> be the actor (achieve lucidity, move around within the pre-built environment) -> be the director (control and alter the pre-built environment).

The actual process is much simpler.

2) Keep a dream diary.

That's the most important part of lucid dreaming, because without a dream diary, you'll have a hard time becoming lucid in your dreams.

Everyone dreams, even if plenty people don't remember their dreams. the human body and mind needs dreams just as much as it needs sleep to heal for the next day. If you have a hard time remembering your dreams, a dream diary will come in handy. It might seem like a waste of time, but bear with me.

Let's say you can't remember any of your dreams. let's say you can't even remember your nightmares. The fact is, you'll wake up with at least an image, a feeling, an object or even just a name, a sound or a word in your mind.

write it down.

It might seem like nothing to you, but it will mean a lot to your subconscious, and even if your first entries look something like this:

July 12, 2007
Time unknown

I see a sphere embedded into a cube's corner.

Your subconscious will take that as an indication shit's got real, and after a while (it's no fast process, so let's say after a month in which you've skipped 4 or 5 nights in total in your diary), your entries will start looking like this:

September 1st, 2007
Woke up at 6:23am

I am running down a street, it's the night and it's very foggy. there's people dressed in victorian-era clothes who are staring at me, curious as to what I am doing. I then see a car and I get inside. I try to drive it, but the accelerator gets stuck and I drive straight into a wall, which somehow throws me into outerspace. -END-

But that's not all: the more you write down, the more you'll be able to memorize, so that about three months later, your dream diaries will look something like this:

December 13th, 2007
Woke up at 2:56am
2nd entry

I am all the way back at the farm where I used to live in. I sense a feel of sadness despite the fact everyone is here just like 7 years ago. the lighting is very somber. it's the night, vision is decent despite the fact there are no lights on. somehow, I could see better inside the farm house than outside. when I walk out, the sky's cleared up. a bright yellow moon in a crescent shape is litting the sky, yet strangely not the ground. I see Andre's old camry, yet he himself is nowhere to be seen. I see Rene pass by and say hi to him. he smiles and returns the greeting while waving at me. I walk toward the farm's main building. as I enter it, I realize there are no animals at all anymore. the entryway, where the goats were, is devoid of any life. the holding pens and even the room where all the rabbits were are desperately empty. dusty, too. somehow, as I walk into the rabbits room, the lighting is somehow bright, yet foggy. I can't see what's outside through the windows. I walk back to the entryway, and then go directly to the room where the food for all the animals was. all I see is some leaves, a couple empty sacks, and rene, who is fixing the doors leading to the wheat fields. I can perfectly see them but they seem to be endless, and the small hill which used to be a tool shed dug out of ground which collapsed years earlier is nowhere to be seen. -END-

You might think that's enough to move on to lesson 3, but there's a little detail to keep in mind: when you wake up, you'll forget most of your dream in as little as 5 minutes unless you're actively writing about it. it's even quicker if you're being distracted. Mind you though, alarm clocks in general are exceptions as waking up mid-dream from a screeching alarm actually works in your favor because you were snapped awake mid-REM sleep and as such your mind vividly remembers what you were dreaming about up to this point. same rules apply though: wrte it down or risk forgetting most of it. And there's no being selective: you write down everything you remember, even if it's a nightmare or a dream where you banged your mother or your friend or even yourself (and I swear to god these are not exemples of dreams I've had. at least, not with my mom or myself)

As a final note to this lesson, there are things you will do or see or even think about during the day that might trigger memories from dreams you had the night prior, and in some cases even dreams you've had a few nights ago. If this happens, write down whatever you remember because if you forget it again, chances are you won't get a third chance.

3) Find and write down anomalies from your dreams.

Since the third dream diary exemple is from an actual dream I've had, let's add to it:

December 13th, 2007
Woke up at 2:56am
2nd entry

Anomalies: inconsistent lighting, missing lighting (moon doesn't shine on ground and objects standing on it, house/building/persons/etc), car is parked where the actual tool shed would be, and the tool shed is further on the left and quite longer and taller than it really is. tool shed shape inconsistant as I walked toward the main building. no pool. moon is too yellow, too big and the crescent is too thin (almost c-shaped). rene has black hair despite the fact even 7 years ago he already had grey hair (and on his old police I.D., his hair was brown). collapsed shed nowhere to be seen. wheat fields too tall. no garden to be seen anywhere. no exterior fireplace to the far right, opposite to the tool shed. rabbits room has steps from the inside. actual room had none.

I am all the way back at the farm where I used to live in. I sense a feel of sadness despite the fact everyone is here just like 7 years ago. the lighting is very somber. it's the night, vision is decent despite the fact there are no lights on. somehow, I could see better inside the farm house than outside. when I walk out, the sky's cleared up. a bright yellow moon in a crescent shape is litting the sky, yet strangely not the ground. I see Andre's old camry, yet he himself is nowhere to be seen. I see Rene pass by and say hi to him. he smiles and returns the greeting while waving at me. I walk toward the farm's main building. as I enter it, I realize there are no animals at all anymore. the entryway, where the goats were, is devoid of any life. the holding pens and even the room where all the rabbits were are desperately empty. dusty, too. somehow, as I walk into the rabbits room, the lighting is somehow bright, yet foggy. I can't see what's outside through the windows. I walk back to the entryway, and then go directly to the room where the food for all the animals was. all I see is some leaves, a couple empty sacks, and rene, who is fixing the doors leading to the wheat fields. I can perfectly see them but they seem to be endless, and the small hill which used to be a tool shed dug out of ground which collapsed years earlier is nowhere to be seen. -END-

Basically, you have to be a nitpicker and detail everything you've seen that's wrong from either a memory, biology or just plain common sense perspective, etc. For exemple, in a dream you might end up talking to an old woman who is working as a secretary, and her index finger from her left hand is disproportionately big and long. a few seconds later you're talking to a young man with one eye in his right eye socket and the left socket replaced with a grinning smile. he then smiles at you with his normal smile. congrats, you're about to get shitfucked by a nightmare!

All jokes aside, detailing any anomalies you come across will give your dreaming self AND your subconscious all the ammo it needs to...

4) Achieve lucidity.

You and your subconscious are a tight-knit team. you have built an extensive mental database of things that shouldn't happen in real life, you can now remember your dreams vividly enough to write them down in great detail, often taking 15 minutes and more to write down everything you remembered from the dream you just woke up from. The next night, you fall asleep, and you see a cat with a head three times smaller than that of a real cat. his owner is jon arbuckle in all his cartoony glory even though everyone else (including you) look like our irl selves. You have a doubt.

This is the single most important step in a lucid dream: doubt. It's a binary choice whose outcome is influenced by how much training you've got and how many anomalies you've learned to notice, and your subconscious is doing all the dirty work to make these anomalies blend together like a dictionary that would create new words independantly from the words it contained.

In this very moment, everything boils down to this: either you go lucid or you don't.

You have this nagging thought that perhaps something's weird about that cat. and hey, what the fuck is jon doing here walking around with the cat like it's the single most ordinary sighting in the world? you look closer, you look around...

You see a tv. you get hold of it, stare into your own reflection, and lift the 30-inch crt tv like it's featherweight cardboard. you stare at the tv as it bounces around, unharmed, and you utter the magic words:

"I am dreaming."

This single sentence and its different versions ("I am in a dream", etc) will act as a trigger. you are now aware you are dreaming. you know that you really are sleeping.

You have near-complete control of what you can do. want to see a deceased relative? your little brother is summoned for one last hug. you feel like being a badass and get guns to go rambo on bad guys on the nightmare you've just derailed? boom, fucka.

The limit is your imagination and your ability to focus and remember yourself you're in a dream. during those magical moments, you are your own god.

But suddenly, you feel your awareness slipping away. you try to summon something and it fails. you get distracted by an arcade machine. This is the problem with that kinda stuff since it's pretty hard to...

5) Stay lucid.

Remember when I talked about focus? well, it turns out either your brain hates having you in control of your own dreams, or your subconscious is being a troll, because if you don't pay attention, you'll stop being lucid, and most of the time there's no way to become lucid again before you wake up. It's something that might be easier for some than for others. Still, here's an easy trick from yours trully: every minute or two (in-dream), look at your hands and say out loud "I am dreaming!". your hands will usually have more fingers than they should. for exemple, I once had 9 fingers and three thumbs on the left hand and 8 fingers and no thumb on the right hand. in true dream chaos fashion, it somehow will not impede your ability to hold and use stuff with your hands.

And if you think that after you've started having lucid dreams, you can say good bye to your dream diary, then I've got some news for you: if you stop writing dream diary entries, you'll start having a harder time remembering your dreams, and not only will it become much harder to get lucid, but you'll also have fewer lucid dreams until you stop having any whatsoever if you keep skipping the dream diary stuff like that. thankfully, it's easy to get back in mental shape, and it's faster than the first time when you were learning how to remember specific emotions and scents, too. start writing dream diaries again, and all your skills will come back. It's like getting on a bicycle after a decade of not having had a ride on any. you'll stumble a bit and your endurance will be burnt like dry grass during a heat wave, but you'll soon get back to making wheelies and being badass while going up a steep cliff without so much as panting.

To finish this, here are the non-abstract, simple steps: sleep -> dream -> wake up -> remember dream -> write down dream -> sleep -> dream -> wake up -> remember dream -> write down dream -> rince and repeat.

(note: if I forgot something or if you see something missing from any lesson, tell me. I'm mighty tired right now and I'm struggling to keep my eyes open as I write this so bear with me.)

Ibuuyk
08-16-2012, 11:18 PM
When I turned eight, I suddenly (as in overnight) became heavily insomniac and a natural lucid dreamer, to the point where I actually got bored of dreaming because I ran outta imagination and decided to shut that thing down. Sometimes, though, I'll feel like dreaming so I will, but most of the times I'll go in another mode I don't really know much about.

It's like I'm awake, except asleep. As in my eyes are closed and I'm laying down, but I can see and look around, and it's still in real time. For years, I was content with just looking through the window all night, because anyway, time would literally fly by. The whole night would pass in minutes, which I thought was convenient since it was less boring this way.

But then about two weeks ago, a friend of mine suggested I try to move and look into a mirror or something, so that night I decided to give it a try. The first night, I made it to the bathroom before morning and looked in the mirror, but I saw nothing. Just the bathtub behind me, as if I was invisible. So I looked at my hands but still nothing, so the mirror wasn't "broken" or anything. Disappointed, I went back to bed and waited till morning. But I've kept on practicing and now I can actually take walks for an hour or two, scare the neighbors' dogs when I walk nearby and stuff. I don't get tired from walking/running, too! Pretty neat mode, though I have no idea what it is exactly :3

SammyFox
08-17-2012, 05:58 AM
When I turned eight, I suddenly (as in overnight) became heavily insomniac and a natural lucid dreamer, to the point where I actually got bored of dreaming because I ran outta imagination and decided to shut that thing down. Sometimes, though, I'll feel like dreaming so I will, but most of the times I'll go in another mode I don't really know much about.

It's like I'm awake, except asleep. As in my eyes are closed and I'm laying down, but I can see and look around, and it's still in real time. For years, I was content with just looking through the window all night, because anyway, time would literally fly by. The whole night would pass in minutes, which I thought was convenient since it was less boring this way.

But then about two weeks ago, a friend of mine suggested I try to move and look into a mirror or something, so that night I decided to give it a try. The first night, I made it to the bathroom before morning and looked in the mirror, but I saw nothing. Just the bathtub behind me, as if I was invisible. So I looked at my hands but still nothing, so the mirror wasn't "broken" or anything. Disappointed, I went back to bed and waited till morning. But I've kept on practicing and now I can actually take walks for an hour or two, scare the neighbors' dogs when I walk nearby and stuff. I don't get tired from walking/running, too! Pretty neat mode, though I have no idea what it is exactly :3

Lucky bastard. <3 ever heard of out of body experiences? I used to have these when I was very young. your mind and body are separate. when I had these, I would fly over the city and be in awe at all the lights (it was nighttime). and then after a while I'd get pulled back into my own body. I once turned around as I was pulled down, and I could see myself on the bed, my eyes shut, looking like I was asleep.

SirCoffeecup
08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Lucid dreaming is hell of a fun experience. I kept a journal for a while before lynching it. Managed to get a couple of lucids while doing so. Nowadays I just want to sleep so I ain't paying too much attention to dreams anymore, though I do pay interest to dreams that wake me up in the middle of the night

I had a great OBE once in a dream. I was tutoring a group of lucidity interns and taught them the works, we walked around places and showed examples. Eventually I entered a room with a levitating body mostly covered in sheets. I told my group he was having an OBE. As I was leaving I decided to take a walk back to the OBEr and noticed it was me.
That's about it in a nutshell

Ibuuyk
08-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Lucky bastard. <3 ever heard of out of body experiences? I used to have these when I was very young. your mind and body are separate. when I had these, I would fly over the city and be in awe at all the lights (it was nighttime). and then after a while I'd get pulled back into my own body. I once turned around as I was pulled down, and I could see myself on the bed, my eyes shut, looking like I was asleep.

I thought dem out of body thingies were when people were still "aware" during surgery or something? Also, I don't think I can fly, or at least I've never tried o.o. Maybe I just behave too much like I do awake, maybe I can move freely and not rely on walking/running/whatever? I should try once I get better at slowing down the time and stuff.

And when I want to "go back", all I have to do is blink my eyes (figuratively, since I don't really have a body).

- - - Updated - - -

I had a great OBE once in a dream. I was tutoring a group of lucidity interns and taught them the works, we walked around places and showed examples. Eventually I entered a room with a levitating body mostly covered in sheets. I told my group he was having an OBE. As I was leaving I decided to take a walk back to the OBEr and noticed it was me.
That's about it in a nutshell

I don't really think that's how it works.

SammyFox
08-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I thought dem out of body thingies were when people were still "aware" during surgery or something? Also, I don't think I can fly, or at least I've never tried o.o. Maybe I just behave too much like I do awake, maybe I can move freely and not rely on walking/running/whatever? I should try once I get better at slowing down the time and stuff.

And when I want to "go back", all I have to do is blink my eyes (figuratively, since I don't really have a body).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really think that's how it works.

Those are near-death experiences. similar, but not quite the same. Also, you don't have to worry about trying out stuff. you could even go anywhere on the planet or even far in the galaxy, or pretty much anywhere you want to be, and you wouldn't suffer any consequences. The way OOBEs end is either by being pulled back into your body, or by being snapped back to it instantly (when you blink).

As for what SirCoffeecup said, I think he meant that he dreamed he was having an OOBE.

Ibuuyk
08-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Those are near-death experiences. similar, but not quite the same. Also, you don't have to worry about trying out stuff. you could even go anywhere on the planet or even far in the galaxy, or pretty much anywhere you want to be, and you wouldn't suffer any consequences. The way OOBEs end is either by being pulled back into your body, or by being snapped back to it instantly (when you blink).

As for what SirCoffeecup said, I think he meant that he dreamed he was having an OOBE.

Really? That makes it sound even better. But to go anywhere in the world, I'd need to not only make time run normally, but even slow it down @_@

PapayaShark
08-19-2012, 01:16 PM
If I go to sleep while making a story in my head, I can control my dreams and remember them the next day. But I have to really consentrate. And I almost always in third person view or shifting back and forth :I My brain really doesn't want me in first person.
And my dreams are often very real. I can feel it when someone touches me, wind, stepping in grass etc.

Idk if this has anything to do with the topic.

Wolf-Bone
09-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Not to be a downer or anything (but that's precisely what I'm going to do here), but as someone who used to be very interested in this pursuit... I'm sorry, but it's utterly pointless. It's mental masturbation, seriously. Okay, it's really great to explore the contents of your own mind. It's really fascinating to see, literally, what you dreams are made of, just to see how surreal it all is. It's like, the grooviest trip on the best shrooms ever created by man, man...

Okay, and?...

The thing that's hard to get over, and I don't think this is any fault of any dreamer, lucid or otherwise, is just accepting that you're in an altered state of consciousness. You're not going to think the same way you would when you're awake. You're not going to want the same things. So that awesome scenario you worked out in your head before bed probably isn't going to materialize at all, or if it does, it's just not going to be like what you thought. And you really don't have as much control over that as these whackos (or con artists, frankly, if they're trying to sell you the "secret" to it...) would have you believe.

I'm not saying it's a waste of time. After the Tuscon, Ariz. shootings, upon learning that the perp was not only an aspiring lucid dreamer, but a schizophrenic, (and around this same time, I had a psychiatrist convinced I was one too - it seems to be the go-to diagnosis these days when you don't know how to label somebody, but that's for another thread) I became really disillusioned with it for a while... Until it started happening again, infrequently, briefly, beyond my control, as it always has been and as it ought to be.

I'm just saying, more often than not, what people find during lucid dreams is they're so content with whatever it is they're experiencing that they kind of just "go with the flow" and drift back into subconsciousness, though they remember everything vividly when they wake up... I'm sorry, but why in the hell did I ever think that meant I'd done something wrong, and why would anyone else?!

Eminoxic
09-18-2012, 02:49 AM
My method of vividly remembering my entire dream:
1. Notice it's time to get some sleep
2. Drink a huge cup of coffee or soda-pop.
3. Sleep, and profit.

Though my dreams usually end up being crazy nightmares that I can't even explain.

SammyFox
09-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Not to be a downer or anything (but that's precisely what I'm going to do here), but as someone who used to be very interested in this pursuit... I'm sorry, but it's utterly pointless. It's mental masturbation, seriously. Okay, it's really great to explore the contents of your own mind. It's really fascinating to see, literally, what you dreams are made of, just to see how surreal it all is. It's like, the grooviest trip on the best shrooms ever created by man, man...

Okay, and?...

The thing that's hard to get over, and I don't think this is any fault of any dreamer, lucid or otherwise, is just accepting that you're in an altered state of consciousness. You're not going to think the same way you would when you're awake. You're not going to want the same things. So that awesome scenario you worked out in your head before bed probably isn't going to materialize at all, or if it does, it's just not going to be like what you thought. And you really don't have as much control over that as these whackos (or con artists, frankly, if they're trying to sell you the "secret" to it...) would have you believe.

I'm not saying it's a waste of time. After the Tuscon, Ariz. shootings, upon learning that the perp was not only an aspiring lucid dreamer, but a schizophrenic, (and around this same time, I had a psychiatrist convinced I was one too - it seems to be the go-to diagnosis these days when you don't know how to label somebody, but that's for another thread) I became really disillusioned with it for a while... Until it started happening again, infrequently, briefly, beyond my control, as it always has been and as it ought to be.

I'm just saying, more often than not, what people find during lucid dreams is they're so content with whatever it is they're experiencing that they kind of just "go with the flow" and drift back into subconsciousness, though they remember everything vividly when they wake up... I'm sorry, but why in the hell did I ever think that meant I'd done something wrong, and why would anyone else?!

You're playing legos with your subconscious. I don't see how that's pointless for exemple to create your own action movie where you kick ass throughout its duration. (Also, saying that lucid dreams are bad because psychos like the tucson arizona shooting asshole tried it is like saying video games are bad for you because some retards used the "VIOLENT VIDEOGAMES MADE ME DO IT" twinkie defense.

Also, I learned how to do these lucid dreams on my own. I became interested in these because when I was a kid, I had out of body experiences very often (I remember them very vividly and even once saw myself sleeping on the bed as I was being pulled back into my body), and I used to mistake these for lucid dreams. So, does that make me a whacko and/or a con artist?

Seriously, cheer up kid, you're being depressing.

Wolf-Bone
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
My method of vividly remembering my entire dream:
1. Notice it's time to get some sleep
2. Drink a huge cup of coffee or soda-pop.
3. Sleep, and profit.

Though my dreams usually end up being crazy nightmares that I can't even explain.

I just can't sleep with anything too acidic in my stomach, and certainly not something bubbly. I used to could, but then this one time I drank two Red Bulls (this was before they started selling them in those ought-to-be-illegal sized cans) and woke up with the faint scent of citric acid and hot-sick in my nostrils.

They say it's generally a bad idea to have much in your stomach before you go to bed. I can at least get away with a large cup of tea as long as it's watered down with a fair bit of milk at least.

You're playing legos with your subconscious. I don't see how that's pointless for exemple to create your own action movie where you kick ass throughout its duration. (Also, saying that lucid dreams are bad because psychos like the tucson arizona shooting asshole tried it is like saying video games are bad for you because some retards used the "VIOLENT VIDEOGAMES MADE ME DO IT" twinkie defense.

Also, I learned how to do these lucid dreams on my own. I became interested in these because when I was a kid, I had out of body experiences very often (I remember them very vividly and even once saw myself sleeping on the bed as I was being pulled back into my body), and I used to mistake these for lucid dreams. So, does that make me a whacko and/or a con artist?

Seriously, cheer up kid, you're being depressing.

Yeah, "kid" (I'm quite possibly older than you), that might be because I have clinical depression. I think there's a fair bit of difference between worrying about a possible link between something largely unstudied like lucid dreaming and certain mental illnesses and blaming videogames. One of the few reasons I think I'm still somewhat normal is because I look at similarities between myself and people like that and want to distance myself from it. It's a perfectly natural human response. And I even said, after a while I mostly got over it, lucid dreams just started happening for me again and they were pretty good, but I didn't care so much about "playing legos" with my mind, or even some of those more important motives like, say, meeting the biological parents who abandoned you as a child, or meeting your deceased friends and relatives...

Honestly, what the fuck? Yes, I totally called you personally a con-artist when you didn't try to lure anybody in for your own selfish gain. Guilty conscience much? Jesus Christ.

Fiz
09-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Before going further please review the forum rules (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=13&tabid=46). Anymore derailing or continuation of the argument will lead to moderator action.

Wolf-Bone
09-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Seriously, you might as well just save yourselves the trouble and ban me right now because at this point I simply can not take anything here seriously. BTW tell Ben I really wish him luck on his singing career, that audition for American Idol was amazing :roflmao:

Oly
09-18-2012, 06:39 PM
For the record, out of body experiences that aren't caused by near death or being sedated lke in surgery are usually referred to as astral projection. At least that's what i've heard it called the most.

Also, most of what I've read on lucid dreaming(not a whole lot mind you) emphasized using your hands to figure out when your dreaming. Basically the method I heard is this: get in teh habit of, every five or ten minutes, in every-day life, jsut looking at your hands and asking yourself "are they normal? am I dreaming?" Make it a habit, until you do it automatically. If it's a strong enough habit you'll start doing it in dreams as it's part of your normal daily routine, and when you do it in a dream you will notice something is weird about your hands - some people report missing/extra/wrong fingers, some people have siad they just couldn't focus on their hands at all, and lots of stuff in between - and at that point you will know you're dreaming.

A combination of that and the method here in teh OP sounds like a winner to me.

edit: also wolf bone: you don't have to take everything seriously. I think it's more an issue of not being so damn argumentative and acidic with your replies... but then I'm not a mod here so whatever.

Wolf-Bone
09-18-2012, 07:34 PM
I think you guys are great at projecting. You think someone is "aggressive" or "acidic"? It doesn't matter what they say, that's what you'll hear. But then again it is essentially a spinoff of FAF...

Oly
09-19-2012, 04:50 PM
I think you guys are great at projecting. You think someone is "aggressive" or "acidic"? It doesn't matter what they say, that's what you'll hear. But then again it is essentially a spinoff of FAF...
"Not to be a downer or anything (but that's precisely what I'm going to do here)..."
"...I'm sorry, but it's utterly pointless..." then two paragraphs later "I'm not saying it's a waste of time..."

I didn't say aggressive. I said argumentative. Acidic is, reading back over that post, certainly an overstatement(and apologies for that.) Other parts of your post aren't so bad, but it's not helpful when you start off with such negativity. It sets a tone for the rest of the post that wouldn't be there otherwise. Every conversation doesn't have to be argumentative even if you disagree.

No projection. Perhaps some hyperbole(i'm prone to do that.) All I have to go on are words, and they are easy to misinterpret.

Anyway, as to be not completely off topic: I tend to have really vivid dreams. And I'm not usually lucid in dream but sometimes I can telll something is not quite right or i'll be half awake but still dreaming.

I've been having particularly vivid dreams the past couple nights. Strange stuff, but then I guess most dreams are. In one I was in the army. We for some reason were by a farm, and got attacked by a bull, two of us died including the guy I was rooming with. After some kinda mundane scenes which had some kinda weird action movie shootout in the middle, I was in my room and for some reason reading back through the guy's emails. I remember seeing some emails to do with trading hats in TF2, but they were dated 2005... which if I'm not mistaken is before the game even came out, let alone had trading in it. x3 I think I was looking for sexy emails for some reason. I don't know if I was actually real-life me in this one though.

In one this morning I was watching an episode of Dr. Who with my sister. It was a new episode but they got Tennant and Billie Piper back, but then they met Rory - it was something he and Amy and 11 were doing but I don't remember seeing Amy or 11 now, though maybe they were there. 10 and Rose kinda disappeared in light of the fact that there was some plot to get people in the past to recite some slogan for a product, which then somehow mutated into there being like billions of Rory's from different time periods. Then there was some commercial that started off with some intro screen that was Homestuck related, but then went on to talk about a bunch of crappy cartoons(or maybe it was comics) that had nothing to do with Homestuck. Also they mentioned Devour Comics (http://www.devourcomics.com/) but there was also nothing to do with Devour Comics. Then I woke up listening to Untilted to Autechre. :U

Okay that's not actually that on-topic. But I guess a point to be derived is that I can usually remember my dreams pretty well. Although obviously much clearer when I'm freshly awoken. Some stick with me though, like this one SUPER intense one where someone i used to be really good friends with's mom shot me in teh head in my back yard(she lived two doors over), and then I woke up(still in dream) inside with a big gaping hole in the back of my skull and had a panic attack. I can still pretty much feel exactly where the hole was.
There was another where, a bunch of other stuff happened, but I remember there being zombies except it wasn't an apocalypse, there was just zombies in parts of the world and other parts were fine and ignoring it, and I remember being in a huge ship hanger that was drained. And then there was part where I had this severed head, and I was trying to hide it and get rid of it, but then I picked it up and all the skin and everything just kinda slid off perfectly, leaving me with this really bright pearlescent skull.

I think I have been lucid in at least one or two dreams, but can't remember them. It was quite a while ago.

Wolf-Bone
09-19-2012, 09:44 PM
"Not to be a downer or anything (but that's precisely what I'm going to do here)..."
"...I'm sorry, but it's utterly pointless..." then two paragraphs later "I'm not saying it's a waste of time..."

Yeah, it was kind of painful to watch the sarcasm/self-deprecation go completely lost on people.

I didn't say aggressive. I said argumentative.

You didn't, but others have. They often do. Maybe there's some truth to it. But to be perfectly honest, I don't care if that's how anyone feels. I might disagree with people, even strongly. But at no point do I even think to deny people their right to their opinion and to be as "acidic" to me as they want in kind. If you'd be honest/less biased towards the person I was arguing with, I think you'd see they were too in their own way (maybe you have, I don't know, but all I see is myself being pretty much singled out here for the sake of convenience)

Frankly, people's obsession with avoiding negativity and conflict is a large source of my cynicism in the first place.

Moogle
08-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Ah, reviving a fairly old topic - hope that's ok!

I've had only a few lucid dreams before, well "moments" at the very least. Actually just this morning after I had woken up, I began to fall asleep again and that's when it happened! Though the second I realized I was able to control things and move freely I got scared for some reason that I wouldn't be able to breath so I got jolted awake, puu. ;( The best ones are when you're able to fly, hell I'm so gonna try to do this before I go to sleep today. :x3:

sassySloth
08-18-2014, 06:21 PM
I have worked at lucid dreaming two separate times with moderate success. At my best I could get a high level of lucidity and hold it for what seemed like a half hour. I had a couple really excellent lucids that I still recall vividly.

To anyone trying to break in I'd say the number on thing to do is make a dream journal. But don't just do it passively. Lucid dreaming is, obviously, a very mental pursuit. If you feel like you can't do it you will literally be unable to. But as you study your dreams your confidence will build until eventually you'll be summoning things and flying around.

I love lucid dreaming because it was like every night was an adventure. Sounds really lame, but when you wake up with four wildly different dreams for your journal it's pretty cool.