PDA

View Full Version : The Raspberry Pi

Nightpaws
02-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Just a bit curious but do any of you guys have one? And if you do, what have you bought for it, and done with it? If you've done anything fancy with it then pictures would be pretty neat too!

I'm looking at making a purchase at some point but I've yet to come up with a good reason to justify the purchase.

Socks the Fox
02-08-2014, 04:01 PM
I have one and I wanted to do some basic Computer Vision stuff with it but didn't have a monitor I could use with it for a long time.

I have one now so I should get to gettin' :3

Nightpaws
02-08-2014, 06:51 PM
I have one and I wanted to do some basic Computer Vision stuff with it but didn't have a monitor I could use with it for a long time.

I have one now so I should get to gettin' :3

Did you buy a case or anything or do you just use the barebones Pi?

ShadWolf
02-09-2014, 04:41 AM
I've thought about getting Raspberry Pi, but I will need a TV so I can output it so I can see what I'm doing. Might be a while yet til I get a TV again :x

I've thought about turning into a mini server, but I dunno if that would hold up too well seeing how small it is, its probably not that powerful enough, but then I thought about turning it into a BitCoin Miner, something as small as that I could leave it running 24/7, I could probably stack 4 of them together and attach a GPU device.

I saw this one setup this guy did one time, he took 24 of them and chained them together to make his own little BitCoin Miner. Had a USB Hub which has 24 USB Type-B connectors on it, powered through an AC connector. A cheap but effective miner without having to spend too much. :3

DrDingo
02-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Ah, this thread just reminded me that I need to get around to using mine!
I've booted it up and got to the Linux desktop, but I haven't gone any further with it. Hell, I'm not even sure what I can/want to try doing with it yet!

Socks the Fox
02-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Did you buy a case or anything or do you just use the barebones Pi?

Right now I've been using the box as a case of sorts. Just poke some holes in it and stick the cords in. It's not pretty but it avoids potential shorts.

Nightpaws
02-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Sounds like not many of you have managed to get much out of them yet! :P

The Daisy Chained mining thing sounds pretty interesting but with people networking entire server farms, the chances of seeing a return on them is probably zilch these days. It could probably be used as a lightweight server for your home network if you fancied, though heat might be an issue for it if it's on 24/7.

I don't have one so I can't comment on that though. Would you guys say they're worth the investment for playing around with?

Socks the Fox
02-10-2014, 08:32 PM
If you can think of a good use for it, it's definitely worth it. I mean, $35 bucks for a computer? Why NOT get one?

Toss a fat USB hard drive on it and turn it into a file server, or tape it to the back of a screen and use it for web browsing. There's plenty more people have done, including robots, weather balloons, UAV stuff, etc.

I wanted to turn mine into an airsoft Portal turret :3

Nightpaws
02-11-2014, 03:54 AM
I wanted to turn mine into an airsoft Portal turret :3

A who now what what?!

Apart from sounding weird that'd be pretty cool :P (And simultaneously lethal)! It could live in your bedroom like they're supposed to!

Would be good to see something, not necessarily that, done with Pi's :3

Socks the Fox
02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Well in theory with computer vision one could do not only position tracking to aim, but also friend/foe identification. And playing sound clips, and if you add in the right bits the ability to tell when it's been picked up or knocked over.

I'd imagine the kind of airsoft guns you could fit on one wouldn't be all that powerful though.

ShadWolf
02-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Sounds like not many of you have managed to get much out of them yet! :P

The Daisy Chained mining thing sounds pretty interesting but with people networking entire server farms, the chances of seeing a return on them is probably zilch these days. It could probably be used as a lightweight server for your home network if you fancied, though heat might be an issue for it if it's on 24/7.

I don't have one so I can't comment on that though. Would you guys say they're worth the investment for playing around with?

This guy's rig setup of 24x Raspberry Pi's he setup with a custom made rig shelf with 24 fans powered through USB.

Nightpaws
02-13-2014, 09:21 PM
This guy's rig setup of 24x Raspberry Pi's he setup with a custom made rig shelf with 24 fans powered through USB.

Wow. That's quite something. We're now discussing the possibility of having a networked "Pi Lab" at university for people to work on their programming. Are they good enough to run things like Eclipse or d'you think I'd need to put something else on them?

Onnes
02-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Most of my projects are better suited for an Arduino than a Pi, so I haven't looked into them much. The Pi cluster is the thing that's most interesting to me, but that kind of application is a pretty serious time and money investment.

Wow. That's quite something. We're now discussing the possibility of having a networked "Pi Lab" at university for people to work on their programming. Are they good enough to run things like Eclipse or d'you think I'd need to put something else on them?

Eclipse is pretty much a poster child for resource inefficient applications. I don't know how it'll run on the Pi, but I've seen it struggle on beefier systems without lots of configuration tweaking and moon cycle analysis.

irick
02-14-2014, 11:21 PM
In general: stay away from java on the Pi. The limited ram will quickly get eaten up. Python development on the Pi should be fine though, or any non-compile-to-bytecode interpreted language.

Wayland works wonderfully o the Pi too, I should probably pick one up and see if i can't get a nice looking little development distro built.

koregg
02-15-2014, 10:13 PM
The second I heard about this amazing credit-card sized computer I had to buy it. Now it's a $35 paper weight, I always planned on doing something interesting. My friend Alex does some neat stuff with his at least

Nightpaws
02-17-2014, 03:37 AM
Ah, that might be an issue. Was going to see about using some to assist people struggling with coding in Java. They'd be okay with C though right?

LeoTheDog
02-20-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm planning on getting two, soon. I want to make on into a retro emulator. Fill it with old school games. and the second one is going to be for a file server. I might buy a third one just to tinker with, but that's for the future =v=

irick
02-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Ah, that might be an issue. Was going to see about using some to assist people struggling with coding in Java. They'd be okay with C though right?
If you are writing code as an academic study, it should be fine with either. The issue is going to be loading up large projects into a JVM, it'll run most likely but it's going to take a while to load initially. Especially if you are using a big java IDE.
Python and Perl are probably going to be your winners in terms of efficent usage on the pi for large projects. C is obviously going to require a compile step, so anything too big is going to take a while. Just remember these things are amazing, but they aren't really even as fast as a PIII when it comes down to the ALU.

Nightpaws
02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
If you are writing code as an academic study, it should be fine with either. The issue is going to be loading up large projects into a JVM, it'll run most likely but it's going to take a while to load initially. Especially if you are using a big java IDE.
Python and Perl are probably going to be your winners in terms of efficent usage on the pi for large projects. C is obviously going to require a compile step, so anything too big is going to take a while. Just remember these things are amazing, but they aren't really even as fast as a PIII when it comes down to the ALU.

Good points there. I'm wondering now if for my group we'd be as well seeing if we can do a deal and just get regular lab machines dual booting. I might make the PI thing into a project for some basic C compilation and scripting stuff.