PDA

View Full Version : Some sort of an automatic BBCode > Markdown converter?

Flygon
02-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Part of this is me being lazy, part not really having the time trying to stuff around manually to get a single crosspost working correctly on a website.

I'm gonna sound like a jerk for asking this, but would it be plausible to have a button on the submission forms that automatically convert BBCode into Markdown? It would most certainly make crossposting images to Weasyl much more convenient and faster (as well as aid those that simply refuse to retrain their muscle memory to cope with yet another markup language! :confused:).

xarg
02-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Might've been a smart move to keep both markups around at least until the site grows and allow people the choice between them...

weykent
02-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Part of this is me being lazy, part not really having the time trying to stuff around manually to get a single crosspost working correctly on a website.

I'm gonna sound like a jerk for asking this, but would it be plausible to have a button on the submission forms that automatically convert BBCode into Markdown? It would most certainly make crossposting images to Weasyl much more convenient and faster (as well as aid those that simply refuse to retrain their muscle memory to cope with yet another markup language! :confused:).

second google hit: http://jondum.github.io/BBCode-To-Markdown-Converter/

Might've been a smart move to keep both markups around at least until the site grows and allow people the choice between them...

absolutely not.

xarg
02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Just my opinion, backed by the problem apparent here... I.e. the need to use an external tool to convert between formats, when it could just as well be automated conversion behind the scenes.

weykent
02-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Just my opinion, backed by the problem apparent here... I.e. the need to use an external tool to convert between formats, when it could just as well be automated conversion behind the scenes.

code is a liability.

xarg
02-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Not going to argue with that. Just pointing it out from the user perspective. Quite a few things could've been done to make it a bit softer of a landing for people unfamiliar with markdown.

Flygon
02-06-2014, 10:36 PM
second google hit: http://jondum.github.io/BBCode-To-Markdown-Converter/And what's the harm in either having the converter integrated into the page, or even just linked to in the submission form page?

Ikani
02-08-2014, 01:19 AM
Flygon,

The issue is that behind the scenes, it’s far more difficult to support two markup languages at once (which is what supporting a converter really means) than it may appear.

We’re planning improvements to the Markdown text entry to do, as xarg mentions, “…things (that) could've been done to make it a bit softer of a landing for people unfamiliar with markdown.” This will include simplifying syntax for user linking in Markdown, and making help more easily visible when entering text for Markdown.

Short of supporting a BBCode converter on the server side - which is not something we can reasonably maintain and support - if you have other suggestions on how to make Markdown easier to adjust to, we’re more than willing to hear them! Please let us know.

Flygon
02-09-2014, 02:12 AM
How about offering a link to an external BBCode > Markdown converter on the submission form (or: One not maintained by the Weasyl team), then? I tried to suggest that in my previous post, but it occours to me that I might not have been explicit enough that I could have easily meant external.