PDA

View Full Version : Hookah, anyone?

Rinzy
02-03-2014, 05:34 PM
I know it's not terribly good for you, but in moderation and on occasion, it can be relaxing and fun to sit around and smoke hookah.

I've recently upgraded from using herbal stuff to actual shisha, and man, I love my hookah so much more now. All I can get where I'm at is Al Fakher though.

What shisha do you guys dig? Coals? How often do you smoke? Weirdest stuff you've ever put in your base? Let's talk about it :D

Willow
02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
I always wanted a hookah because they looked cool and I knew where I could get one for around $20, but decided against it because health and other things. Instead I just use an e-cig and put 0mg [nicotine] juices in it so I guess that's kind of the same thing right?

I use it pretty infrequently though. Usually when I'm on campus and have nothing better to do.

Other than that, I have friends who smoke hookah and they seem to enjoy it.

Batty Krueger
02-03-2014, 06:11 PM
I used to, then it got old for me and I sold it to a friend.
I used srarbuzz shisha with coconut ash coals. Rum was used every once in a while in the base.

Rory
02-03-2014, 06:59 PM
I've done hookah three times in my life. The chill social aspect was a lot fun, and it felt surprisingly smooth with a calm feeling coming afterwards. Each time was just freakin' awesome, but I'd maybe do it once a year at most. Too many health concerns otherwise.

Kanagrooboy
02-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Once in awhile I'll hit the local hookah bar with friends. That shit is chill as fuck. I'd love to get my own, but I wouldn't be able to use it much, being shacked up with my folks and all. I'd love to try putting some drink into the base. I'd imagine cherry and whiskey would be an excellent combination.

Willow- vapes are a lot similar to hookah for sure, especially if you're running a mechanical unit. The portability is a plus, too.

Rinzy
02-05-2014, 11:47 PM
I always wanted a hookah because they looked cool and I knew where I could get one for around $20, but decided against it because health and other things. Instead I just use an e-cig and put 0mg [nicotine] juices in it so I guess that's kind of the same thing right?

I use it pretty infrequently though. Usually when I'm on campus and have nothing better to do.

Other than that, I have friends who smoke hookah and they seem to enjoy it.
I thought about doing that, but after trying herbal shisha, I realized that I wanted to be able to get that nicotine buzz.

blackfurredfox
02-06-2014, 12:44 AM
I used to smoke hookah religiously, but Derby of 2011 was the first time, I didn't like it too terribly much but more recently its become a staple. But when I mean religiously I used to go to the bar literally all the time, usually once a day. Buuuut I was giving up cigs at the time so I figured "eh, lesser of two evils". I usually go there maybe once or twice a week now. I usually get a sort of smoothie like flavor by mixing vanilla with a fruit flavor. I love smoke tricks though and I can get enough smoke from those to do some cool stuff and by cool I mean nerdy. For example, I let the smoke roll out of my lungs and into my glass on top of my drink, then did the Clear Skies shout from skyrim and blew it all away. Looked cool though doin all the cool waves and stuff.

Willow
02-06-2014, 01:23 AM
I thought about doing that, but after trying herbal shisha, I realized that I wanted to be able to get that nicotine buzz.
Really couldn't care less for the nicotine. Guess it's because I'm not used to it, but I really don't like the throat hit at all. It's really uncomfortable and kind of ruins the moment a little, for me at least. :I

So in the event I ever get a hookah or happen to be in a group of people doing it, I'd be looking around for some zero nicotine stuff.

Matt Conner
02-06-2014, 01:53 AM
I luvs me some hookah! I've got a nice little three whip two footer in a backpack in my dorm, although I won't really be able to use it until I move into a house with my buddies. That thing's gonna be running 24/7 in the living room when we do though!

By the way, the best flavor is strawberry daiquiri, no question about it.

Infestissumam
02-06-2014, 12:10 PM
I had a friend who used a hookah too much and ended up having a seizure from nicotine overdose, so I've never been one for hookah circles.

Rinzy
02-06-2014, 12:15 PM
For example, I let the smoke roll out of my lungs and into my glass on top of my drink, then did the Clear Skies shout from skyrim and blew it all away. Looked cool though doin all the cool waves and stuff.
I do that and pretend I'm drinking a mysterious magic potion.

I had a friend who used a hookah too much and ended up having a seizure from nicotine overdose, so I've never been one for hookah circles.
I haven't ever seen that happen o.o Of course, usually when I smoke hookah at home, I only ever do one, maybe two bowls.

Vae
02-06-2014, 12:41 PM
I have a medium-sized hookah of my own. Looks like this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tgWJLmstL._SS500_.jpg), except the skull is black.

I love using it, except it's just such a pain in the ass to set up and clean out later. I've had Al Fakher, Starbuzz, and Fantasia, and I prefer the Fantasia because it actually gives me a full nicotine high.

I love cola, coffee, and vanilla flavors. I'm only fond of certain fruit ones (more on the side of berry than anything else), and mint just makes me sick.

The last time I smoked, I had it at a friend's house, and we (three of us) were trading off the hose. Highest I've ever gotten on it. We were just laughing and being stupid and drinking, until the pipe fell over and I burned my ass on the coals.

Rinzy
02-08-2014, 03:52 AM
I have a medium-sized hookah of my own. Looks like this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tgWJLmstL._SS500_.jpg), except the skull is black.

I love using it, except it's just such a pain in the ass to set up and clean out later. I've had Al Fakher, Starbuzz, and Fantasia, and I prefer the Fantasia because it actually gives me a full nicotine high.

I love cola, coffee, and vanilla flavors. I'm only fond of certain fruit ones (more on the side of berry than anything else), and mint just makes me sick.

The last time I smoked, I had it at a friend's house, and we (three of us) were trading off the hose. Highest I've ever gotten on it. We were just laughing and being stupid and drinking, until the pipe fell over and I burned my ass on the coals.
oh my god, last time we were smoking hookah and drinking, my roommate and one of my friends were getting rowdy around it and knocked the hookah over and the coal burned straight through one of the cushions on the couch

Percy
02-08-2014, 04:07 AM
Hookah is about the only thing I'd be willing to smoke (besides for nicotine-free e-cigs), and I have smoked it before. My mom's side of the family is very keen on it. I'd probably do it again, obviously not regularly.

lorenith
02-08-2014, 07:53 AM
One of my friends looooooves Hookah. Although I'm not sure if the stuff he smokes has nicotine in it?

I don't partake personally, but I really love the smell of the stuff (I don't like the smell of the coal, but the actually other stuff), so it's still a fun and relaxing experience even to just hang around while others do it. And it's nice that they generally respect my desire to not smoke it or anything else for that matter. (The only reason I can give for not even trying it is that it very strongly doesn't fit my self image and that just holds me back from it).

zarya
02-08-2014, 12:05 PM
I'd like to go to a hookah bar sometime. Or get a hookah. Or something. Dunno anyone around here who'd go with me.

Batty Krueger
02-08-2014, 09:55 PM
You can get a nice decent hookah setup poverty for pretty cheap nowadays

Aakosir
02-08-2014, 10:08 PM
I'd love to try a hookah, but there isn't going to be tobacco in it x3

Batty Krueger
02-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I'd love to try a hookah, but there isn't going to be tobacco in it x3

Dont use a hookah for that something else. Its a waste.

blackfurredfox
02-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Just went up to my favorite hookah bar and while going inside ended up witnessing a hit and run against a car.. Got the bastards plate and model, and for that a hookah on da house.

Vae
02-09-2014, 10:09 AM
oh my god, last time we were smoking hookah and drinking, my roommate and one of my friends were getting rowdy around it and knocked the hookah over and the coal burned straight through one of the cushions on the couch
It burned some small holes in one of my skirts (which I can still wear without showing anything, but they're still there) and blistered my wrist. Still have some small scars from it.
But we had fun, so meh.
Actually, I think the nausea I had later was worse. I ended up throwing up a few times. But that might have also been the alcohol.

And I'd love to go to a hookah bar. They're littered all over the Springs, too, but I'd need a ride to get to one and our bus system is dumb garbage that stops running at 5 PM.

zarya
02-09-2014, 11:25 AM
You can get a nice decent hookah setup poverty for pretty cheap nowadays

I'd go to get one for myself, but I don't think my parents want one around. Not sure if it's smell or just having one.

wwretched
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
i've smoked it a couple of times, it's always so relaxing. it's so awesome just to get a bunch of food and smoke! though i'm not exactly used to lighting the charcoal so it's a bit rough, but it's totally worth it.

i'd like to own a hookah at some point, but i'm guessing i'll have to wait until i've got my own place because i can't have one at the dorms and my roommates would totally tell on me. plus i'm trying to be an RA next year so i'd be kinda fucked if they found one in my room. :B

but at some point i just wanna get a group of friends together and go to a hookah bar to hang out!!

Rinzy
02-09-2014, 03:40 PM
I'd go to get one for myself, but I don't think my parents want one around. Not sure if it's smell or just having one.
I can get that. A lot of people make associations between hookah and pot. I offered a friend to come smoke hookah and hang out with me, and his first question was "There won't be pot in it, will there?"

but at some point i just wanna get a group of friends together and go to a hookah bar to hang out!!

I have actually never been to a hookah bar!

Blizzard
02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Hookah bars are awesome, especially if they serve food, and even better if they have alcohol but that seems to be a pretty rare thing now. There used to be a place called Tony's in Portland that I went to when I was a teenager. They served pizza and prices were pretty reasonable if you had a big group to split the bill. That place was fun.

I used to have my own hookah, it was a really nice one, the body was a heron or egret or ibis or some kind of long legged wading bird with a long curvy neck and bill. It was a going away present from the guys in my band when I left for college, because they all still had another year of high school left. It got a lot of use for several years and eventually broke a year or two after I graduated college. I'd love to get another one, I miss it, and all my friends that have them have these crappy small ones. A nice big high quality and well maintained one is so much nicer.

Fay V
02-09-2014, 05:25 PM
I love hookah. my buddy actually had a gorgeous hand made nargile, which is where I learned about it all. Since I moved to my current place I got myself a simple little silver one.
http://i.imgur.com/8E4Wwco.jpg

My favorite flavor is starbuzz vanilla, it's really mild but powerful, so it doesn't wear on the throat after a while as long as you cycle your coals properly, and if gives a serious kick so you can get the hookah high.
Generally i don't do much with the base, I just put ice in. I've had it with ice and juice before and that was really nice, especially since I was at a hookah bar so the coals were moved regularly and it was smooth all the way through.

I've had it with just a liiittle bit of whiskey in the base. Not a lot but a very small amount so that you just get even more relaxed.

I did give myself nicotine poisoning once though, because I'm an idiot. My buddy and I had a shitty day, went to the hookah bar, and ended up smoking 2.5 bowls between us. I didn't really notice because we'd done ice, juice, mild flavor, and regular coal changes so my normal triggers for "i'm done" weren't really there. It wasn't so bad, but I had a killer headache and ended up throwing up, pretty much like a nasty hangover.

So you know, if you feel funny, stop.

Matt Conner
02-10-2014, 06:07 PM
I can get that. A lot of people make associations between hookah and pot. I offered a friend to come smoke hookah and hang out with me, and his first question was "There won't be pot in it, will there?"

I get that all the time, especially when I offer something like a brownie to people, hehe. My go-to response is usually "why would I waste weed on you if you don't even want it?"

Ley
02-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Hookah is awesome. I'm trying so hard to learn how to blow smoke rings D:

I have a little babby hookah and its name is Punkin'. (Like pumpkin but southern)

Fay V
02-10-2014, 07:14 PM

I have a little babby hookah and its name is Punkin'. (Like pumpkin but southern)

I didn't realize it was that hard till I started to do it around other people. The person that taught me just told me to click my jaw, but I guess people can't do that easily.

Vae
02-10-2014, 07:22 PM

I tried so hard to do smoke rings when I was last with my friend.

I don't think I ever succeeded.
Or maybe I did, and just wasn't aware, because I was too high.

I have a little babby one, too. My first hookah. It's more just for show, now that I have a decently-sized one.

Speaking of hookahs, and their associated bullshit, I also have a large purple bottle that looks like a hookah and has two straws. You can see it here (http://24.media.tumblr.com/e22f6e2057488fcd0ce620b0f7f14a22/tumblr_myiao0uSP71sonvd0o10_1280.png).
I've never used it (it just sits on my fridge), but I thought it was cute and it was on sale at Spencers a few years back, so I bought it.

Amaranth
02-10-2014, 08:22 PM
I get tired of flavors of Shisha very easily, the smell often makes me nauseous, but if I plug my nose I can smoke just fine. We've put orange juice and (separately) red kool aid... I think even mouth wash? Idk we were really high, too. I love taking the biggest hit you can possibly get (empty your lungs as much as possible, then pull a hit in until you can't pull anymore) and then holding for a second and then slowly letting it out... I love the smoke it's so pretty looking!

Haven't been able to smoke in a while, though... nursing a newborn and all. ;P

Ley
02-10-2014, 08:42 PM
I didn't realize it was that hard till I started to do it around other people. The person that taught me just told me to click my jaw, but I guess people can't do that easily.

are you kiddin me its that fuckin easy

Fay V
02-10-2014, 08:50 PM
are you kiddin me its that fuckin easy

That's what I thought, but I know people, a fair few, that just can't do it, and I have no idea how to do smoke rings outside that.

Rinzy
02-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I do smoke rings with my throat, instead of my jaw. I'd never even realized that there was a possibility that you could do them any other way until recently.

I've been trying to get double smoke rings down recently, though, and it's a little bit of a bitch.

Fay V
02-11-2014, 12:43 AM
double?

Batty Krueger
02-11-2014, 08:22 AM
A friend of mine can do a heart and blow smoke rings inside each other like a target. Pretty crazy shit.

Aakosir
02-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Dont use a hookah for that something else. Its a waste.

Why would it be a waste?

Rinzy
02-15-2014, 07:43 PM
double?

Yeah, you basically do a smoke ring, but with your mouth wider to the sides, and put your finger in the middle to split the smoke.

Ley
02-17-2014, 11:03 PM
I would like to report that this past friday I successfully blew a smoke ring before getting too excited, inhaling, then choked for a bit.

Still proud.

Batty Krueger
02-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Why would it be a waste?
It burns real quickly. Hookahs are meant for things a lil more wet like shisha.

Aakosir
03-01-2014, 03:02 PM
It burns real quickly. Hookahs are meant for things a lil more wet like shisha.

Ah okay.