PDA

View Full Version : Our Critique Feature

Fay V
08-13-2012, 03:44 PM
One of the best ways to grow as an artist is to share your work and get advice from other artists around you. As with any art community, it’s wonderful to have a safe place to learn with others and improve with time. To help encourage this experience on Weasyl, we are designing a system which allows our users to easily send and receive critique from the community.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8p4r5t5Ei1r5ecxs.png

To indicate that you are looking for critique on a certain piece, you can check the “Critique” option when submitting your work to the site. As with other submission details, this can be edited whenever you choose; whether it’s because you’ve gotten all the critique you need, or you’ve changed your mind and would like the submission to be critiqued after all, all you need to do is toggle the critique checkbox selection on the “Edit Submission” page.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8pgcsDhOc1r6t7i5.png

Once you set your submission to indicate that you want critique, the submission will appear on the front page under the critique section, allowing users to view the image and leave critique in the form of comments on your submission. There will also be a small note added to the submission automatically, to indicate it is open for critique. In this way, users will be able to leave any notes they may have and link to useful resources to aid the artist. We hope this will not only build the skills of our artists, but also improve everyone’s sense of community!

If you like what you see here, please visit our tumblr (http://weasyl.tumblr.com/) and reblog our posts, thanks!
or check us out on twitter (https://twitter.com/Weasyl) and facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Weasyl)

Ibuuyk
08-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Tis' a pretty awesome feature, but will it be limited to pictures or will you be able to ask critique on music, poems, stories or journals?

To elaborate on the latter, sometimes people may be wondering about something relatively important (like what they should do with their abusing family, if they should raise their commission prices, if their cat is sick and they don't know what to do, etc.) and may want some outside advice to help them make up their mind, so I guess that'd count as critique, kinda.

Fay V
08-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes, all creative submissions will be supported with the critique feature. You'll get feedback on artwork, literature, and all other submission types we support, excluding journals and characters.

The feature was not intended for general life advice, but specific submissions. What you suggested seems more fit for journals, and there are always the forums if you ever want feedback or advice from the community.

Ibuuyk
08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes, all creative submissions will be supported with the critique feature. You'll get feedback on artwork, literature, and all other submission types we support, excluding journals and characters.

The feature was not intended for general life advice, but specific submissions. What you suggested seems more fit for journals, and there are always the forums if you ever want feedback or advice from the community.

Good enough, thanks :3

Lee
08-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I love this feature. Critique systems are super useful!

Apollyon_Unit01
08-13-2012, 09:12 PM
I also like this.

Also, am I correct that this feature is available to those with basic accounts?

Judicant
08-13-2012, 09:28 PM
I also like this.

Also, am I correct that this feature is available to those with basic accounts?

You are indeed correct!

Demu
08-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Absolutely wonderful. Thank goodness this is a a nonexclusive feature. It will definitely help people get critique when they need it. Thanks again for all the hard work!

Tiger
08-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Fantastic feature! I do have a concern, though, which is how the critique is given, and heck, even how it's received. I've always found the "comment sandwich" approach works great with crits, but other people might come of as more brash (not saying it's a bad thing, because honest critique is something everyone can use to their advantage). Or someone might be a little too sensitive about critiques and could get upset and defensive quickly. Perhaps you could leave a note on the page before submission that by checking the box they recognize what they will be getting? Or am I thinking too deep into the issue?

On a side note, just an idea, could a critique be "rated", so to speak? That is, if many users agree to a particular critique, it could be given say, a gold star, and recognized (maybe even bumped up to the top of the page?)

Sorry again if I'm reading into this way too much, but from my experience with administrating a website that had standards of art level that required trying out and being critiqued, I've seen a lot of pictures go sour where either a critic is too harsh or when the artist receives a comment poorly and it all goes to hell. I am all for critique, though, so long as it is constructive but honest.

piņardilla
08-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Will there be a separate critique notes section on the submission, or will it all just use the normal comment system?

Kihari
08-14-2012, 04:27 AM
On a side note, just an idea, could a critique be "rated", so to speak? That is, if many users agree to a particular critique, it could be given say, a gold star, and recognized (maybe even bumped up to the top of the page?)

Will there be a separate critique notes section on the submission, or will it all just use the normal comment system?

Initially this feature will be pretty basic (using the regular comments, etc) but it's the type of thing we'd like to build upon later. It would be nice to have it more sophisticated right from the start, but honestly our time constraints mean we have to focus on higher priority things until after the beta launch. We'll keep ideas for later implementations in mind though!

FishNChips
08-14-2012, 06:01 AM
This feature seems great. :> Though personally I think I'd rather the people critiquing me be the ones whom I already trust to give me good critique, unless I see that those regularly using the critique feature are actually good at giving critique. I assume that the majority will be decent, but you never know how many of those "this art is bad and you should feel bad" posters are around, or ones otherwise annoying and unhelpful.

Ryunohito
10-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I've also noticed looking at the main page there doesn't seem to be a way to browse submissions marked for critique.
Is that something intentional or is it something to be added later?

RadioCatastrophe
10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I've also noticed looking at the main page there doesn't seem to be a way to browse submissions marked for critique.
Is that something intentional or is it something to be added later?

Yeah.. I'm with this, the preview of it shows a "Show More Critiques" button underneath the latest submissions asking for them but there's no way to navigate to a page featuring all submissions requesting a critique.

Ben
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
The button was there as a placeholder, but the page didn't get finished before launch. We will be adding it as soon as possible though, as well as being able to view all streams, and having a Read More function for news posts.