PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Advertising Service

Tigercougar
01-12-2013, 03:52 AM
When the site comes out of beta, will you set up a system where users can pay for banners to be rotated somewhere on the pages?

Fay V
01-12-2013, 05:14 AM
We do have plans to have in site advertising set up for users. Understandably we have a few things we need to solidify first so there's no details we can give right now, but this is a plan yes.

Rimpala
01-30-2014, 12:02 AM
I suppose this is just a thing that I'd like to see because it'll just the make the site complete and will help it compete with, ahem, that other furry site. I'm confident you guys can even do it better.

The idea is that users of the site can maybe pay to place banner ads either leading to Weasyl pages or other websites where they can sell furry related products. They could benefit both the users and the site itself.

If you do it of course the ads would have to be non-intrusive, nobody likes online ads that interrupt or intrude on a site's usability. Likewise there probably needs to be a strict standard on SFW ads, one of the complaints I've heard from FurAffinity had to do with contemptible ads.

Also just in a designated ad space, I am not advocating that Weasyl starts looking like NASCAR :cautious:

Ley
01-30-2014, 05:34 AM
Just chirping in to say that they shouldn't be furries only. Weasyl isn't an FA/inkbunny/sofurry replacement. Its just another art site.

xarg
01-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Just chirping in to say that they shouldn't be furries only. Weasyl isn't an FA/inkbunny/sofurry replacement. Its just another art site.

People keep saying that but a large part of the community originating from other furry communities seems to have a different view.

As for advertisement, if that is implemented, then the staff has to make sure to be fair and prompt about customer service related to them to avoid problems people have encountered with various other sites. Otherwise it must be made extremely clear that the purchase of adspace is more of a donation than entry into a legally binding agreement with specified criteria for fulfillment.

Willow
01-30-2014, 08:35 AM
People keep saying that but a large part of the community originating from other furry communities seems to have a different view.
That doesn't mean they're right.

I really don't think Weasyl should have ads. It's a needless feature and makes the site look more cluttered since there isn't much room on the mainsite for them in the first place.

Fiz
01-30-2014, 09:55 AM
We will be having an ad service in the future. We've been discussing off and on the best ways to handle accepting payment and how SFW/NSFW ads would work, etc.

They're free to have their own views and to use the site for whatever art we allow, but Weasyl is not strictly a furry site, though we are obviously very furry friendly.

skylerbunny
01-30-2014, 01:38 PM
All,

Your Redmine tracking bug on this: https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/147 -- you can create an account on Redmine and watch issues there if you wish to do so. Thanks!

Socks the Fox
01-30-2014, 10:02 PM
One thing I'm definitely going to be doing with my website's ad system is making heavy use of PayPal's API to generate invoices and handle payments. The way I have my system in my mind is:

1: user fills out ad submission form and submits it
2: ad gets placed in 'review' queue
3: admin or mod reviews ad to make sure it fits criteria, is properly tagged, etc.
4.1: if the admin makes changes, it bounces back to the user to review the changes the admin made, and approve or make further changes
4.2: if the user makes further changes, it bumps the ad back to step 2
5: if the user approves the changes, or the admin approves the ad, the system generates a PayPal invoice
6: once the user pays the invoice, the system automatically places the ad in the rotation during the time frame requested

Ugh I'm not looking forward to doing all the PayPal interaction stuff. At least they have a developer sandbox.

Fiz
01-31-2014, 08:48 AM
One thing I'm definitely going to be doing with my website's ad system is making heavy use of PayPal's API to generate invoices and handle payments. The way I have my system in my mind is:

1: user fills out ad submission form and submits it
2: ad gets placed in 'review' queue
3: admin or mod reviews ad to make sure it fits criteria, is properly tagged, etc.
4.1: if the admin makes changes, it bounces back to the user to review the changes the admin made, and approve or make further changes
4.2: if the user makes further changes, it bumps the ad back to step 2
5: if the user approves the changes, or the admin approves the ad, the system generates a PayPal invoice
6: once the user pays the invoice, the system automatically places the ad in the rotation during the time frame requested

Ugh I'm not looking forward to doing all the PayPal interaction stuff. At least they have a developer sandbox.

That's actually incredibly similar to our idea of doing it haha.

Reshy
01-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Since the site is supposed to target more than furries it may be worth gathering some metrics to tailor advertisements based on what a person likes. A person who favorites or has pokemon in interests will generally get pokemon advertisements, but not say furry ones if they don't display any interest (no favorites, or it's on a 'hates' list).

xarg
01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Since the site is supposed to target more than furries it may be worth gathering some metrics to tailor advertisements based on what a person likes. A person who favorites or has pokemon in interests will generally get pokemon advertisements, but not say furry ones if they don't display any interest (no favorites, or it's on a 'hates' list).

Targeted advertisement would probably be something to look at after the site actually has more than one target group.

Socks the Fox
01-31-2014, 09:21 PM
Yeah that's one of the reasons I'll have the admin review step in my setup, so they can add or remove tags as needed; from there the ad system would just use the user's tag blacklist (and maturity filter settings, obviously) to keep out ads they don't want.