PDA

View Full Version : Sly Cooper is getting a movie, too!

Bark
01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Sly Cooper is getting a movie that is currently being detailed as coming out in early 2016. See the IGN Article and trailer here! (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/28/sly-cooper-movie-announced).

I'm pretty excited for this. Not only was the Sly Cooper series one of my big time favorites growing up, but the character designs look really great in this. I really love how much care is going to into these movies.

If you didn't know, Sony also announced earlier on that there will be a Ratchet and Clank (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx1oyMUxmkc) movie coming out in 2015.

It seems the same companies are doing the Sly Cooper movie. I can only imagine that they are happily rolling around with Sony throwing money at them to make these movies at this point.

What do you guys think? Exciting, yes?

Ratte
01-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Whoa Sly's voice is different. Not sure how I feel about that.

If they actually do end up making it and seeing it through I'll totally watch it. I love the Sly games. Can't wait for the Ratchet and Clank movie either.

Hopefully it doesn't go the way of the Spyro movie announced years ago that was never actually made due to some weird legal and budget issues. At least they got a game out of it though.

Bark
01-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Whoa Sly's voice is different. Not sure how I feel about that.

If they actually do end up making it and seeing it through I'll totally watch it. I love the Sly games. Can't wait for the Ratchet and Clank movie either.

Hopefully it doesn't go the way of the Spyro movie announced years ago that was never actually made due to some weird legal and budget issues. At least they got a game out of it though.

Considering that they already have a trailer out and a date set, I think we can be sure that it is already in the process of being made. That's a lot more than just a poster (if that), a list of names and a fuzzy date that we've gotten with a lot of other things, so.

And by any rate, when the Ratchet and Clank movie was announced we were told that they were working I believe in pre-production? Basically using assets for the games to block out scenes and such for the movie to expedite the process. They're also working pretty closely with Insomniac Games. I'm wondering, considering it's the same companies, if they're following this same work flow and working closely with Sucker Punch / Sanzaru.

Krespo
01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm so excited for this I dont even mind that everyone's wearing trousers! I love the Sly games, I love playing them even today.

Ratte
01-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Considering that they already have a trailer out and a date set, I think we can be sure that it is already in the process of being made. That's a lot more than just a poster (if that), a list of names and a fuzzy date that we've gotten with a lot of other things, so.

I think they did for the Spyro movie but it fell flat on its ass and nothing happened. At least the game was alright.

I'm glad that they're working close with the original developers. I wonder what the story will be about. I haven't gotten to play Sly 4 yet since I'm 600 miles from home without a PS3 or TV, so I don't know much about that story yet. Something old? Something new? Who knows.

I'm so excited for this I dont even mind that everyone's wearing trousers! I love the Sly games, I love playing them even today.

hahaha I didn't even notice until you said something.

ShadWolf
01-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Looks really interesting I wouldn't mind watching it! ^-^

And yeah I don't wish to see it turn out like Spyro movie where it never comes out. That was really disappointing. :c

Truth be told… I have never played any of the Sly Cooper games before! :0

JackalTeeth
01-28-2014, 06:43 PM
All I can express is excitement. I actually don't mind the VA change for Sly at all, the voice is still fitting.

Namba
01-28-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm pretty psyched about both of them :D Next up needs to be a Jak and Daxter movie, then after that the original Spyro franchise needs a film. MAKE IT SO.

Dire Newt
01-28-2014, 07:11 PM
A video game movie... my excitement is very limited.

Damian
01-28-2014, 07:28 PM
I've not played the Sly Cooper games but I do have an interest in this movie :3

sassySloth
01-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Wow. That's super dank. Sly is a good anthro series to bring to screen.

Hope they treat it well. Animation looks good and it's only a 2014 trailer. Awesome!

WakkaSeta
01-29-2014, 02:55 AM
Huh...this Sly design looks more like a badger to me than a raccoon to be honest. Then again, so do some of Rocket Raccoon's designs.

Solaris-Meadow
01-29-2014, 03:03 AM
Sly Cooper movie? I'm about to have a breakdown of pure excitement! 8D -spazzes-

... I just hope they don't do anything to screw up what the franchise has done thus far x.x that tends to happen... a lot...

Rory
01-29-2014, 05:15 AM
Whoa, that was a great trailer, although Sly looks a bit different than I expected he would. This looks awesome! Not usually ever excited about movies from video games, but this could go somewhere.

Coincidentally, I had the Sly Collection sitting in my PS3 when I heard about this. I only ever got through most of the first game, so I decided it was time to get on with it today. Already enjoying 2 a lot more than 1; 1 was pretty hard.

Ratte
01-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Whoa, that was a great trailer, although Sly looks a bit different than I expected he would. This looks awesome! Not usually ever excited about movies from video games, but this could go somewhere.

Coincidentally, I had the Sly Collection sitting in my PS3 when I heard about this. I only ever got through most of the first game, so I decided it was time to get on with it today. Already enjoying 2 a lot more than 1; 1 was pretty hard.

When people say 1 was hard I automatically think "racing levels". Most of it was pretty easy but the racing controls were wonky as shit.

Also any mission with a time limit. Fucking piranhas and chickens.

2 and 3 were a lot more streamlined imo.

Zeitzbach
01-29-2014, 11:47 AM
I can just feel it

Something bad will happen.

Battlechili1
01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm not even a fan of the Sly games and this is exciting news for me.
I like the style and characters, and the games are fun, and the short cartoon made for Sly Cooper in the past was decent, so I'm looking forward to this.

Lucy Bones
01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
There are no really good video games movies in existence.

We'll see if that curse can be broken.

Rory
01-29-2014, 02:46 PM
When people say 1 was hard I automatically think "racing levels". Most of it was pretty easy but the racing controls were wonky as shit.

Also any mission with a time limit. Fucking piranhas and chickens.

2 and 3 were a lot more streamlined imo.

Oh wow, I had forgotten about the racing. It was the boss fights for me; they were pretty clever and challenging, in my memory. I just don't remember Sly 1 handling nearly as smoothly as 2 has been. Like, I'm excited to finish up here, get some work done, and then go play more Sly 2. I didn't feel that way with the first.

Also, time limits, yes. Bane of my gaming existence. :|

And on-topic for movie related stuff, I'm having trouble thinking of any good video game to movie movies. Still, I watched the trailer again this morning. So cool!

Battlechili1
01-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Just watched the trailer.
I'm disappointed that its CGI and not 2D animation... I really wanna see 2D animation make a comeback...

Oh well. Still, the CGI looks well done and the movie is looking good.
Still looking forward to the movie.

EDIT:
From the linked page: "The global film market leans towards pure CG-animated films."
THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Lucy Bones
01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
There was no way it was going to be a 2D movie.

It's a 3D game.

Batty Krueger
01-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Never played the games, but the animation looks good. I'll probably watch it, considering I'm a huge furfag.

Ratte
01-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Oh wow, I had forgotten about the racing. It was the boss fights for me; they were pretty clever and challenging, in my memory. I just don't remember Sly 1 handling nearly as smoothly as 2 has been. Like, I'm excited to finish up here, get some work done, and then go play more Sly 2. I didn't feel that way with the first.

Also, time limits, yes. Bane of my gaming existence. :|

The bossfights all had specific patterns to follow, but when you found those patterns you were set for the rest of the fight. The only one that didn't follow that super well was Clockwerk, from my experience. 2 and 3 are a lot different in that respect.

Also 3 is a pain in the ass to 100%, just letting you know. :V

It's a 3D game.

...The cutscenes after bosses/between locations and cinematics in the Sly series (aside from 4, I haven't played yet so I don't know) are all in 2D. They even have mini movies you can unlock, like the Stamp Museum and Goodbye My Sweet, both are 2D. Having them make a 2D movie would have made more sense, at least to me, than a CGI movie.

Lucy Bones
01-29-2014, 06:51 PM
You act like people who make movies based on games think about being faithful to the games.

This is not true. :B

Rory
01-29-2014, 08:29 PM
The bossfights all had specific patterns to follow, but when you found those patterns you were set for the rest of the fight. The only one that didn't follow that super well was Clockwerk, from my experience. 2 and 3 are a lot different in that respect.

Also 3 is a pain in the ass to 100%, just letting you know. :V

Oh I know, and boss patterns are nothing new to me, but they just seemed fairly difficult. Like, the multi-level fight on the chandelier? That one took me awhile. Maybe it was the "can only take 3 hits" thing that always got me, or 6(?) if you had that lucky horseshoe. Also this was a few years ago, so maybe I'll boot the first game up again and see about the controls/handling/boss fights. Right now I'm about to take Rajan out for the second time in 2, though I keep getting distracted by clanky bottles. :P

Joy. xD Least I don't have to worry about 100%ing to see the teaser for the game that's already out, now.

Ratte
01-29-2014, 08:34 PM
You act like people who make movies based on games think about being faithful to the games.

This is not true. :B

If they're working as closely with the original developers as what's been said, I don't see how the possibility of what could have been 2D is somehow improbable. Seems CGI is pretty well-received, though, so I can't say I'm disappointed by either result.

Oh I know, and boss patterns are nothing new to me, but they just seemed fairly difficult. Like, the multi-level fight on the chandelier? That one took me awhile. Maybe it was the "can only take 3 hits" thing that always got me, or 6(?) if you had that lucky horseshoe. Also this was a few years ago, so maybe I'll boot the first game up again and see about the controls/handling/boss fights. Right now I'm about to take Rajan out for the second time in 2, though I keep getting distracted by clanky bottles. :P

Joy. xD Least I don't have to worry about 100%ing to see the teaser for the game that's already out, now.

You wouldn't see it anyway because there isn't one. :p Sly 3 came out in 2005 and Sly 4 came out in like 2012, even going so far as to move companies, from Sucker Punch to Sanzaru Games.

Also the clanking of the bottles is the easiest way to find them all. There aren't any in Sly 3 though.

Lucy Bones
01-29-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm okay with fully CG animated movies, as long as the CG looks good.

It looks good in this movie, so I'm down.

Lucy Bones
01-29-2014, 08:53 PM
I have a problem with CG when it's used in movies to replace practical effects.

But fully 3D animated movies? No problem with those. I grew up on Toy Story.

Krespo
01-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Can't wait to see Carmie in that glorious 1234567890p HD 3D. @w@

She better have that saucy Latin American accent back or my inner fanboy will be PISSED. It was really jarring to have her voice change so drastically in the games.

Doodle
01-29-2014, 09:00 PM
I just saw the trailer last night and I immediately went "Sly Cooper movie! This is not a drill!"

I'm excited; I loooove the Sly games. ♥ The CGI doesn't look too bad, either. I'm impressed.

Rory
01-29-2014, 09:15 PM
You wouldn't see it anyway because there isn't one. :p Sly 3 came out in 2005 and Sly 4 came out in like 2012, even going so far as to move companies, from Sucker Punch to Sanzaru Games.

Also the clanking of the bottles is the easiest way to find them all. There aren't any in Sly 3 though.

There is on the Sly Collection! 16gapUxPoDw

You had to platinum all three games and then the video would show up in secret. As you can see it didn't give any sort of date, but just said, "Hey guys! Sly 4!" It was only relevant when the collection came out, which I had pre-ordered (yet still has taken me years to get to).

FriskyWoods
01-29-2014, 09:36 PM
I never forgave Sucker Punch for moving on from Sly Cooper to that damned InFAMOUS game (aka Focus Testing: The Game!).

Ratte
01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't get the problem people have with CG, but whatever.

I think it's less an issue with CGI itself and more about the nostalgia of traditional animation. I like both a lot, personally.

There is on the Sly Collection! You had to platinum all three games and then the video would show up in secret. As you can see it didn't give any sort of date, but just said, "Hey guys! Sly 4!" It was only relevant when the collection came out, which I had pre-ordered (yet still has taken me years to get to).

Haha I didn't know that. I played all the games on the PS2 as standalones, so there was no video or secret thing about any upcoming games. I should try to get the collection so I can have all the games in one spot.

Battlechili1
01-29-2014, 11:25 PM

It's a 3D game.
RI6vkyyK4Lc
Animated short they made a while back.
Plus the animated cutscenes in the game make it look like a comic book.
I think 2D makes sense in this.
Though admittedly none of those seem to have ever been well animated, not even the short.

I think it's less an issue with CGI itself and more about the nostalgia of traditional animation. I like both a lot, personally.

I'm not so sure its just nostalgia, at least with me anyways.
My favorite animated movies always seem to be 2D. You won't see me raving about a new Pixar film, but when Disney brings out things like "The Princess and the Frog" suddenly I'm interested.
I think 2D animated things look more interesting and perhaps prettier. I mean I watch mostly anime nowadays, and I don't tend to get excited for animated films unless, like I said, its a 2D animated film.

Can't wait to see Carmie in that glorious 1234567890p HD 3D. @w@

YES.
This would be wonderful to see on film in HD.

Willow
01-29-2014, 11:37 PM
I can't really say I'm excited, intrigued that both Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank are getting movies because I pretty much thought those two franchises had run their course for the most part (Ratchet and Clank maybe not so much though), but I never played either of those series.

But the trailers look interesting.

sassySloth
01-30-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm so excited for this I dont even mind that everyone's wearing trousers! I love the Sly games, I love playing them even today.Oh yeah! What the heck.

I like how they made Murray look more hippo-like.

Digitalpotato
02-01-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm okay with fully CG animated movies, as long as the CG looks good.

It looks good in this movie, so I'm down.

It might actually look different than most CG movies out there.

I dont' mind CG... just that so many of them are "Let's try and be Pixar" or "Let's try and be Dreamworks". Come on guys, you can do other artstyles, too!

Red
02-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I never forgave Sucker Punch for moving on from Sly Cooper to that damned InFAMOUS game (aka Focus Testing: The Game!).

To that I would have to disagree. I'm not in favor of focus tested tripe and I was very wary concerning this game, as Cole just looks stupid. And after seeing a reliable friend gush over it, I tried it... And loved the hell out of it. The story is pretty freakin' awesome and engaging and it is quite fun too, so yeah, surprise of the generation for me :D

On topic : a bit wary on the Sly movie (the writing of this skit was a bit too childish), but hey, it was just a teaser and I bet they haven't even started making the movie and just testing the waters. In any case it is pretty cool seeing a good looking movie out of a game for once (and no, I'm not counting the R&C movie, which looks even more awesome) ♪

sassySloth
02-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Something occurred to me today. Late 2015-early 2016 is going to be a great time to be a furry. This movie is slated for early 2016. Zootopia is supposed to come out early 2016. And Kung Fu Panda 3 should be coming out late 2015.

I did some snooping. The director of the Sly movie is the same guy who directed TMNT (2007). I thought that movie was completely meh. Hopefully he learned some lessons from it.

Some peeps around the internets be complaining about the change in art style from the games? The animation looks fantastic here. I liked it immediately.