PDA

View Full Version : Question: How long does it typically take for something to be moderated?

lorenith
01-28-2014, 01:54 AM
There's a user that has posted quite a few blatant traces of official art work, and screen caps, and they're still in the system, which makes me wonder about all the things that have the wrong rating that are also out there right now. (which at least for those I could tag in a way that would hide them).

I'm mostly just curious, but also a little worried that my reports have been seen and have simply been ignored.

Gamedog
01-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Well it is rrrreeally late at night/early morning. I'm sure they won't take too long to sort out.

lorenith
01-28-2014, 02:09 AM
I haven't reported anything today, I'm thinking about a swath of stuff I reported 3-4 days ago..

xarg
01-28-2014, 05:25 AM
Well it is rrrreeally late at night/early morning. I'm sure they won't take too long to sort out.

That shouldn't make any difference on an international global website.

Fiz
01-28-2014, 08:32 AM
It can take a while. There's been a flood of new reports handed in since the site's activity spike so it might take a bit for us to get to them. Reports are all looked at and are not ignored.

Fiz
01-28-2014, 02:39 PM
That shouldn't make any difference on an international global website.

We do not have a lot of staff that aren't in North America, so there is a big gap in times when we are active unfortunately.

Anyway, somewhat of an update on your reports:

I'm having a poke through them, but again it might take a while to get it all completed. Remember, reports regarding tracing/plagiarism/copying/all that fun stuff do take a bit more time than say, reports about submissions with incorrect ratings. We have to go through and do overlays to each submission to see if its an eyeball or tracing IF the reported provided evidence (which you did, thanks a lot for that). Sometimes the person reporting does not provide the original that is being stolen, so it takes us even longer to try to find the original on their own. And if it's from a series or artist we're not familiar with, then it takes even longer. Then we have a group vote of what to do regarding all of the evidence and what to do towards the user etc. etc.

As you can see, it can take a while. Not trying to make excuses, but that's the gist of all of it. Hopefully when we get our new batch of moderators, we can cut that down some :)

lorenith
01-28-2014, 03:29 PM
That makes sense, thanks for such an in depth answer, I was pretty curious about it. :)

Socks the Fox
01-28-2014, 03:43 PM
We do not have a lot of staff that aren't in North America, so there is a big gap in times when we are active unfortunately.

I'd apply except I'd be a terrible moderator. I'm way too soft and forgiving on people :(

Edit: Whoops misread that as "don't have a lot of staff in NA." Bit of a difference :P

xarg
01-29-2014, 06:05 AM

Shouldn't this be something to be rectified as soon as possible? What if someone decides it's a funky thing to start creating accounts and posting questionable material taking up the front page in the middle of the night? It only takes around 5 accounts to consume most visible space.

Gamedog
01-29-2014, 06:18 AM
Shouldn't this be something to be rectified as soon as possible? What if someone decides it's a funky thing to start creating accounts and posting questionable material taking up the front page in the middle of the night? It only takes around 5 accounts to consume most visible space.

While I can't speak for Fiz or for any staff member here, the issue cannot come down to "well, just hire people in X, Y and Z timezones!" because they may not be qualified, they may not be very active, they may not be a good choice for whatever reason. What if nobody in the timezones that are needed never apply? It's just not a very easy thing to deal with.
The good thing about having so many users online at all times of day (5am here! I should go to bed) is that we can screencap anything that happens like that, and it will be resolved when the staff comes online.
It's not exactly a solution to the problem but the problem is not one that can be watched constantly because people have work, school, they go out, they sleep, grocery shopping, that sort of thing. There is never going to be a time where there is always going to be staff watching the front page, even if Weasyl were to bring on staff members who live in time zones other than North American (which itself is quite large).

Hendikins
01-29-2014, 07:08 AM

To be honest, it's more important to have the bulk of your moderation resources available when the bulk of the traffic is around. Having people all around the globe is nice to have, but even that isn't going to ensure you have moderators available 24/7.

Problems with the idea:
* The users (and therefore the traffic) are not spread evenly throughout the timezones - I would gather that the majority of the traffic comes from North America, with the next biggest source being western Europe.
* The moderators are volunteers with lives. Having lives means that they won't always be available regardless of what timezone they're in.
* Apparently the last group of moderator applicants contained 95 users. You'd be lucky if more than 10 of those were outside North America and Europe.
* You can't select somebody as a moderator simply because they provide timezone coverage. You have to pick the most suitable candidates based on other criteria (you're generally looking at skills, demeanour, history, reputation, etc. - all of which are more important than timezone).
* Assuming the distribution of suitable candidates is roughly the same across the globe, you'd be lucky to have one or two new moderators from outside North America/Europe. Making the reasonable assumption that they have lives, they won't always be available.

In short:
* Across the globe coverage is going to be hard to get
* You're not going to have moderators available 24/7 in a community this size.

xarg
01-29-2014, 10:18 AM
I am not as dumb as to suggest that people should be chosen simply because of their timezone, nor to think that capable volunteers would be flooding the site to contribute their time. I never suggested either of those. I did nothing more than point out the problem inherent with having resources concentrated around one timezone area. I am well aware of how recruitment works, there is no need to belittle me by spoonfeeding me obvious details.

If there is a lack of moderators from outside the NA timezones, then that should have been mentioned in the call for applications. Small things like that matter.

I do not see why it is more important to have the bulk of your resources available when the bulk traffic is around though. The reports aren't answered in real time any way. The only reason why it would be good was to allow faster reaction to front page infractions.

Fiz
01-29-2014, 02:06 PM
If there is a lack of moderators from outside the NA timezones, then that should have been mentioned in the call for applications. Small things like that matter.

Honestly, it's not something I personally realized until I actually moved out of America myself. We did ask for timezone/where the user lives though.

Basically, everything Hendikins said, especially...

Apparently the last group of moderator applicants contained 95 users. You'd be lucky if more than 10 of those were outside North America and Europe.

I'm not gonna go back and count which applicants aren't in a NA timezone. I'm sure it was more than 10 but basically, not as many applicants outside of NA. And there is always the possibility that all of those that applied that aren't in a NA timezone won't be picked up as a moderator. Sucks, but it happens.

Tiger
01-29-2014, 03:33 PM
I do not see why it is more important to have the bulk of your resources available when the bulk traffic is around though. The reports aren't answered in real time any way. The only reason why it would be good was to allow faster reaction to front page infractions.

The thing about going through reports, though, is that sometimes we can't do them while the image is still on the front page. It's a process to work on and close a report, it's not as quick as just changing an image rating and closing it while it's on the front page. There are steps to take, and depending on the report it could be fixed easily and quickly or it could take longer. This is why some tickets may be open longer than others- not that we neglect the tickets, but we need more time to handle it properly.

For anyone who would like to learn more about the report process, check out this thread- https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?2672-How-We-Handle-Reports-Updates!

Fiz
01-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Also sometimes reports have a set time when they are actually handled. Like sometimes we give people a few days to edit the description of a submission to include their reference, stuff like that. That can also 'delay' the closing of the ticket itself.

There's a lot of things that can make it so it takes a while to close a ticket, but none of that is ignoring it. Even if we close a ticket without needing to take any action on it, we tend to bring it up with staff just to make sure people are okay with it being closed.

Socks the Fox
01-29-2014, 04:19 PM
I don't know if there's a way to see our open tickets/reports, but if there is one, or one is being designed, an idea might be to have a way to mark a ticket as under review so we can see that you guys are in fact working on it. An extra step, yes, but the psychological effect of knowing it's actually being worked on should help us keep calm and carry on.

Fiz
01-29-2014, 05:21 PM
I don't know if there's a way to see our open tickets/reports, but if there is one, or one is being designed, an idea might be to have a way to mark a ticket as under review so we can see that you guys are in fact working on it. An extra step, yes, but the psychological effect of knowing it's actually being worked on should help us keep calm and carry on.

Currently there isn't a way to view open reports for users. We might add something like that in the future though when we can set up a more automatic way to respond to people reporting stuff.

Hendikins
01-29-2014, 06:47 PM

That would be all well and good, except for the general lack of users outside NA/EU. It's like going fishing in a lake that only has a handful of fish in it. You won't catch much.

Admittedly most of my background is from moderating on large forums (trust me, the only thing experience on FA is good for is learning how not to run an art site!). On forums reports can readily be actioned in close to real time, and this is the same for certain types of content removals on an art site (generally spam, the more blatant examples of art theft/harassment/trolling, etc.). It also makes it easier for site staff to communicate with each other about more complex removals and general site matters, and it reduces turnarounds with user communications much of the time (they're more likely to respond when they're there).

I'm not gonna go back and count which applicants aren't in a NA timezone. I'm sure it was more than 10 but basically, not as many applicants outside of NA. And there is always the possibility that all of those that applied that aren't in a NA timezone won't be picked up as a moderator. Sucks, but it happens.

I'd expect more than 10 outside of NA, but I'd also expect most of the remainder to be EU. Basically anything outside UTC-8 to UTC+3 would be hard to get at this time.

xarg
01-30-2014, 08:03 AM
That would be all well and good, except for the general lack of users outside NA/EU. It's like going fishing in a lake that only has a handful of fish in it. You won't catch much.

The whole premise of the problem was the lack of people outside the NA timezones. You're trying to piggyback the EU along with it and that gives the wrong image of what was being discussed. There should be a proportional number of moderators active during the EU prime time.

The thing about going through reports, though, is that sometimes we can't do them while the image is still on the front page. It's a process to work on and close a report, it's not as quick as just changing an image rating and closing it while it's on the front page.

This was exactly my point in saying that they are not handled real time.

lorenith
01-30-2014, 09:06 AM
There are always going to be down times, even if they had mods covering all times of the day, that's just the way it is. It's not possible to have perfectly perfect coverage 100% of the time.

This thread was mainly started as a curiosity, with a bit of concern, which has been allayed by the responses from the moderators. Especially knowing that they are currently in the process of recruiting more volunteers, it's a little counter-productive to continue to drag this conversation on when they've already acknowledged the "issue" and are in the process of rectifying it.