PDA

View Full Version : Books/Literature - What have you been reading lately?

Tycho
01-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Title explains it all. What kind of books have you been reading lately for leisure, entertainment, and enlightenment? Was it a good book, was it crap? Opine on them here.

Last whole book I read was "The Guns of August", a historical monograph by Barbara Tuchman. It basically went over the events directly leading up to World War I and explained how it basically changed the face of warfare forever. Was a very good read, though I had to read through it pretty fast for a school assignment. Tuchman actually won a Pulitzer for it, and the award was deserved I think.

Ratte
01-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Coping with Stress in a Changing World. :V V:

So far it's a bunch of crap but that's what I expected for an online class called "Stress Management" huehuehue.

Tycho
01-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Coping with Stress in a Changing World. :V V:

So far it's a bunch of crap but that's what I expected for an online class called "Stress Management" huehuehue.

Yeah, the book is very preachy and toots its own damn horn. The "stress risk assessment" tests and shit in it feel contrived and shallow. I've taken Internet personality tests that felt more meaningful.

Pine
01-27-2014, 12:35 AM
I just got finished with Maus Part II by Art Spiegelman. The cartoon is a pretty creative way of expressing the effects of the Holocaust as well as the author's relationship with his father.

The next book I'm going to read is called The Disaster Artist. It was written by the guy who plays Mark in The Room, and it's apparently about his experience while filming the movie and how batshit crazy Tommy Wisaeu is.

rorick
01-27-2014, 01:21 AM
Despite being an avid reader, the last thing I fully, and truly, read was Frankenstein, all the way back in October. I'm sure almost everyone here has read it. It was for a school assignment, but I thought it pretty interesting. I'm looking at reading The Canterbury Tales here soon though, as I do have a personal copy that's begging to be opened.

Willow
01-27-2014, 01:29 AM
I've only really had time to read books for school. One of which is this thriller/horror story called "Schnitt". It's entirely in German :B

As far as reading for fun, I'm pretty sure the last book I read on my own was the Fault in Our Stars and let me tell you, that one was a doozy to read.
It was a good book but at the same time it's so heavy at certain parts that reading it is actually a feat in itself.

Rory
01-27-2014, 01:44 AM
Just a heads up, this is probably going to get merged with the thread about books in the Writing and Literature forum. I tried bumping it up a few days ago, but no one pays attention to that one really. In fact I think it was a thread from here originally, then got moved.

Anyway, I'll just say it again, but I'm still getting pretty deep into my Tom Clancy novel, Dead or Alive. Good to read in quick chunks, and I love political/military thrillers. His books are always incredibly informative about how things really work in real life, too.

Tiido
01-27-2014, 01:56 AM
Last book I read is "Raadiolülitused" by Lembit Abo... it is tech literature, about radios, filters, amps, acoustics, power supplies and whole bunch of other stuff. Electronics are hobby and passion of mine ^^

Tycho
01-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Just a heads up, this is probably going to get merged with the thread about books in the Writing and Literature forum. I tried bumping it up a few days ago, but no one pays attention to that one really. In fact I think it was a thread from here originally, then got moved.

This seriously seems to plague a lot of writing sections on furry sites. People neglect them. It's kinda sad. :c

Rory
01-27-2014, 02:45 AM
This seriously seems to plague a lot of writing sections on furry sites. People neglect them. It's kinda sad. :c

Yeah. x.x And music too, haha, we're brothers in arms like that. I really do wish for this thread to stay here, so people actually reply! I scoured the forums a few days ago because I was going to make this thread (I had been super excited about finally getting back into reading since graduation), but then I saw that books one, so blah. Hoping for the best. Maybe we can make the other one about literature for literature's sake, and keep this one more of a "What are you reading now?" deal.

Ley
01-27-2014, 04:59 AM
THe last series I read was the 'City of Bones' and holy FUCK it was fantastic. I expected another stupid 'normal-girl-meets-scary-supernatural-boy-and-fall-in-love' genre but no, you got punched in the face at the end. It was great.

It sucks though, I usually don't have time to read books. Too busy workin' or drawing at school :/

SirCoffeecup
01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
I read a Finnish book called Kätilö (Midwife).
It was about an SS-Oberststurmfuhrer and a finn's love under dreadful conditions in a mini consentration camp with manhunts and torture/rape everywhere.
It was written in a very old speech style and hopped back and forth in time, which made it confusing when the time shift could happen more than three times in a section without telling about it.
It was quite boring until the final third when it got good and things started happening.

AndiGreyScale
01-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Ready Player One (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ready-player-one-ernest-cline/1100055635?ean=9780307887443).

"In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.
But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape."

dirtypaws
01-31-2014, 03:46 AM
Chuck Palahniuk's "Haunted" right now, but i read mostly at work and they've hounded me pretty rough for reading lately so it's taking a while.

Red
01-31-2014, 05:53 AM
I've been trying to read Terry Pratchett's The Truth for the past few months, but work got so hectic that I can't even find the time to read it, which saddens me quite a bit. And I've also been alternating between Eric Chahi's biography (creator of Another World) and The History of Nintendo, two really well documented and fascinating books from French company Pix N' Love, which I follow quite closely.

Krespo
01-31-2014, 06:55 AM
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Is good book oh yes.

Red
01-31-2014, 08:39 AM
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Is good book oh yes.

Agreed ! Can't wait to see how its official adaptation will turn out !

Brace
01-31-2014, 09:26 AM
I'm on the last book of the Dark Tower series right now, although the books starting sucking so I'm only half-interested in finishing.

SirCoffeecup
01-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Kim Hyun Hee's The Tears of My Soul, or something like that I'd imagine the English name to be.
It's written by a North Korean agent who blew up a passenger jet and killed 115 people onboard and is now telling her story and how she was manipulated by fear and brainwashing, and it gives a good insight to the practices of the communist party in there.
Halfway done so far, nothing relating to the jet mission yet. She's told about her quite inhumane training schedule and early life and the events that lead her to become an agent.

Nattles
02-01-2014, 11:59 PM
I recently finished Brent Weeks' The Black Prism. Great stuff! I really enjoyed how fresh this novel felt.

I also got about halfway through Claire B. Dunkle's The Hollow Kingdom before I called it quits. Great fairy-tale-esque writing style, horrible premise (worse than Twilight).

Matt
02-02-2014, 12:33 AM
The last two books I've read and reread have been these:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Escaped-My-Certain-Fate-ebook/dp/B0042JSPTI

My favorite standup comedian detailing his former acts with absolute, precise ignition with regard to how ridiculous it is to have that process published. He's a smart man, saying funny things with a staggering level of self-awareness. I can't think of another example of this kind of shit.

Second book is this: http://www.amazon.com/Disgusting-Bliss-Brass-Chris-Morris-ebook/dp/B0065UEA28/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1391315141&sr=1-1&keywords=Chris+Morris

Chris Morris is my hero, and any attempt to understand his stuff is remarkable alone. One that has been sanctioned by the man with 40 seconds of his time is invaluable. It's a story worth publish. I'm just kinda upset that that story seems to have ended.

EGKangaroo
02-02-2014, 01:32 PM
I lately re-read The Catcher in the Rye, after I watched John Green's analysis of the book. I did enjoy reading it a lot more than I did the first time. I did notice new things in the book that my eyes must have sort of skipped over, so it was a cool thing revisiting those chapters and reading it with fresh eyes.

And currently, I picked up one of Philip Pullman's books. The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass in USA). I remembered watching the movie, and liking it a lot, and it was one of those books that a very good friend of mine recommended it way back. I absolutely love it so far!

Rory
02-02-2014, 05:00 PM
And currently, I picked up one of Philip Pullman's books. The Northern Lights (The Golden Compass in USA). I remembered watching the movie, and liking it a lot, and it was one of those books that a very good friend of mine recommended it way back. I absolutely love it so far!

Ooh, His Dark Materials was a fantastic series. One of my teenage favorites, by far; never saw the movies because I wanted to always imagine the world in my head, my way. The books were just awesome and inspiring. If you really end up enjoying them, I'd also suggest you take a look at David Clement-Davies. Stuff like Firebringer and The Sight were also other favorites of mine.

Jashwa
02-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Man, I've done SO much reading since I've gotten a Kindle.

I started off with the Game of Thrones series by George RR Martin, which was undoubtedly my favorite series ever to read. I can't even begin to describe how well they were written, especially with all the foreshadowing that you don't realize at the time and look back at later and just have your mind blown with. I had seen 2 seasons of the show before starting them, so I knew some things to expect going in and was pleasantly surprised at the small deviations. I can't wait for him to release the 6th book. Soon.jpg.

From there, I went with the Warriors series of kittycat books by Erin Hunter and loved them. Don't judge me. They're like my guilty pleasure. They're also surprisingly well written (and poorly edited) for books aimed mainly at kids.

After reading all bajillion Warriors books, I read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and....wow. I didn't know any story could suck me in that deep. I literally couldn't put them down until I was done with all 8 of them. Just, fantastic. Right up there with LOTR and GOT as my favorite series. I'd recommend these to everyone I possibly could.

After a bit of soul searching, I realized I still hadn't read the Harry Potter series,s o my girlfriend badgered me into reading that. It was much better than I expected it to be, seeing as I saw the first movie when I was a kid and HATED it. Recently rewatched that too and didn't mind it. I guess my tastes changed. Not quite a favorite like Dark Tower or GOT, but wizards are p cool.

Now, I'm looking for another series to buy and read. I'm thinking potentially starting the Jack Reacher books after loving the Tom Cruise movie about it. Anyone read them that could give me a review?

Also, haven't read the thread yet, gonna go do that now.

Tiamat
02-03-2014, 07:28 AM
I'm thinking potentially starting the Jack Reacher books after loving the Tom Cruise movie about it. Anyone read them that could give me a review?

All I know about them is that Jack Reacher is actually a big guy...so why they picked Tom Cruise is a mystery. His physical size is actually a major factor in the books. The character is 6'5, whereas cruise is 5'6. Sounds petty, but as I said his height and build are a character trademark. It would be like casting Topher Grace as Eddie Brock. Oh...wait.

Anyway, I just finished John Coynes "Hobgoblin"

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc388/Tenebraestudios/hobgoblin_zps06a18919.jpg (http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/Tenebraestudios/media/hobgoblin_zps06a18919.jpg.html)

Here's my review:

It sucked.

Nattles
02-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Man, I've done SO much reading since I've gotten a Kindle.

Ahh, me too! Purchasing a book and having it instantly availalble (and lightweight!) has made it easier for me to enjoy my old favorite hobby haha.

I just got Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, and I'm looking forward to starting it :)

Tiamat
02-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Just started Lavondyss, sequel to Mythago Wood which was one of the most eerie and enjoyable fantasy books I've read in quite a while

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc388/Tenebraestudios/200px-Lavondyss-uk-medium_zps7a498572.jpg

Also busy reading Name of the Beast which is like a spy thriller with a slight supernatural element

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc388/Tenebraestudios/9780246137043_zps821b9e98.gif

Nattles
03-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Bumping the thread because AAAAAAAHHHH I read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn and I really loved it. I've only read the first book so far. I think I'll take a break before I read the rest of the trilogy so I can let the first one sink in. The beginning was a bit slow, and some of Sanderson's characters felt too stiff or under-developed. Vin was probably the best-developed character, despite initially playing second fiddle to the grating Kelsier. Elend was shockingly boring and "stock character," so it felt kinda lame for him to play a major role at the end of the novel. Still, complaints aside, it was a very fun novel. The magic system was fun, and Sanderson gives the first novel a satisfying finish while leaving enough questions unanswered for the next book.

I've also been reading C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity, Edith Patou's East (combining East of the Sun, West of the Moon and the tale of Cupid and Psyche), and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Summer Knight. I'm getting busy again, so I don't expect to finish any of these anytime soon.

MEEHOO
03-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Stephen King !
I just finished reading misery for the second time and now im reading geralds game which is an interesting one
He can make the most mundane simple thing full of suspense

FluffyMuffins230
04-04-2014, 01:14 PM
While I haven't been reading like I should because of pure laziness and being addicted to the computer a lot, I have been reading the first Hunger Games book (on the side).

Krespo
04-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Read Good Omens and Who Censored Roger Rabbit? over the weekend. Great books, though the latter takes a while to get going. Started A Confederacy of Dunces soon after and have to say so far it's the cleverest, funniest, most entertaining book I've ever read.

Ranguvar
05-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Great books, though the latter takes a while to get going. Started A Confederacy of Dunces soon after and have to say so far it's the cleverest, funniest, most entertaining book I've ever read.
I just finished it, shit is fucking hilarious. John Kennedy Toole's depiction of New Orleans is spot on too. I just can't believe this book hasn't been adapted into a movie yet.

Also reading:
The Warmth of Other Suns (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8171378-the-warmth-of-other-suns")
My Name is Red (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2517.My_Name_is_Red?from_search=true)

Frank LeRenard
05-22-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm currently reading Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. It's one of those books you hear about from educated people who like to pretend like they only read quality fiction, but it's actually very neat, and the writing itself is pretty damned amazing. It's told from the perspective of young children, but the author is able to make it extremely convincing. You're never quite sure what's just imagination.

I just recently finished reading a book called The Death of Vishnu, by Manil Suri. It was pretty sophisticated in terms of how it was set up (lots of different threads all revolving around a single man's slow descent into death from disease), but it was also a nice look into modern Indian society and culture. A bit of a depressing and grating read, but that's partly the point, I think. It had this aura of hopelessness and pointlessness attached to everything that was going on, and most of the threads that get brought up have the least satisfying resolution imaginable. So clearly the author was trying to say something about India.

I'd say I'd definitely recommend the first book (though I'm only about halfway through), and possibly the second if you're in the right kind of mood for it.

Nattles
05-23-2014, 01:46 PM
I finally finished East by Edith Pattou. I enjoyed it very much once the story got rolling. I loved the inclusion/reference to several other fairy tales and myths in addition to the main one it covers (Cupid and Psyche).

I also finished listening to Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson. My hubby and I listened to a decent audio recording with background music, sound effects, and different voice actors.

Tycho
05-23-2014, 11:26 PM
I just finished it, shit is fucking hilarious. John Kennedy Toole's depiction of New Orleans is spot on too. I just can't believe this book hasn't been adapted into a movie yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces#Film_adaptations

Well, they keep trying, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

MercyToNoOne
06-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Chicagoland Vampires series by Chloe Neill. I've read book 1-6 and will start on book 7 soon :thumbsup:

Nattles
06-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Last week I've read Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriot and the first book in the Grisha series, Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo. They were both kinda "meh" standard fare young adults fantasy series aimed at young women, and neither of them were nearly as good as their reputations had me believe. Though of the two, I'd say that Shadows on the Moon was a more imaginative and robust book despite being a retelling of Cinderella.

sassySloth
06-10-2014, 06:14 AM
In between comic books I'm reading The Necronomicon. Now that's some quality cosmic horror.

Kellendraysia
06-10-2014, 09:45 PM
I am currently reading Howl's Moving Castle for the second time. I love the book the writing is fantastic and I truly enjoy the characterization. Though I think I am either going to start reading The Art of Urbanism or Frankenstein once I'm finished with Howl's.

Nattles
08-05-2014, 07:32 PM
THREAD REVIVAL

I recently finished Red Rising, which was not as good as I had hoped it would. Picture the Hunger Games on a futuristic colonized Mars, which started off as a pretty cool premise. The author also attempts a dialogue about far more complex political and ideological themes than the Hunger Games tackled, but he botches his own efforts by making the book both boring and way too violent. "Violence is bad! Now let's have these kids kill, rape, and cannibalize each other! Whoo hoo! What was the point of my book again?" Whoops! Hunger Games, to which Red Rising is often compared, offered a far more intelligent commentary on violence, and since I consider HG to be rather, uh, modest intellectually, that's saying something.

Currently reading Throne of the Crescent Moon, which is much more enjoyable so far. Hopefully it delivers!

BlueJaySF
08-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Reading The Fall (Chuck Hogan/Guillermo del Toro) now, since I read The Strain years ago and need to finish the trilogy.

Thank god the vampires in this aren't sparkling turds (go screw yourself, Meyer).

Moogle
08-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Trying to get through the Game of Thrones novels but it's a bit difficult for me to read..

Chiffon
09-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Jamie McGuire's Red Hill. Usually I turn to Stephen King for horror, but branching out now and then should be good for me. It's a smooth-flowing post-apocalyptic read so far.

piñardilla
09-17-2014, 04:15 AM
I can't remember how long it's been since I managed to find the time to read fiction, but I popped my Discworld cherry and read The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett during some downtime at work over the past week. Perfectly absurd, and as a bonus I understand the Tourist character class in NetHack now.

Gumshoe
09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I've recently started The Da Vinci Code. I'm only on chapter 3 so far (talk about recently) but I still find it interesting at its early stages.

sassySloth
09-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Still chugging through the Necronomicon. It's really amazing. It's really affecting me. It inspired me to get back into writing.

I'm in Shadow Over Innsmouth now. It's alright, not his best, but I do love H.P's affinity for creepy hotels/ apartments.

WolvenSister
09-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Kinda swapping between "Deerskin" by Robin McKinley (one of my top 5 authors) and "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. I'm crying with the Frankenstein Monster, so many feeeeelllzzz for him and I'm kinda hating Victor who created him. I'm also kinda thinking to myself, "C'mon Mary!! Can't you write something NICE that happens to the monster?!?!" But she doesn't listen and the more I read the more I feel miserable for the monster ;n;

NovaCaine
09-23-2014, 12:54 AM
I'm currently in the middle of reading J.R.R. Tolkien Tales from the perilous realm.
It's a book with 4-5 five short stories for J.R.

Quite good actually and the stories so far really good.

Tiger
09-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Just bought a bunch of biography books on famous artists, including Van Gogh, Duchamp, Klimt, and one of my personal favorite artists, Kandinsky. :D Currently on the Duchamp book, not very far into it though. Also got Salvador Dali's autobiography, that'll be a trip to read!

Jailbird
09-25-2014, 10:05 PM
I last read BZRK and it's pretty dang good

SimoSkunk
10-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Have been reading a mixture of things:

Graphic novels on one hand-

Just finished Jeff's Smith's The Complete Bone, and this was amazing. Among the best comics ever.

Then I read The Tale of One Bad Rat by Brian Talbot. This was pretty sad...a hard read emotionally, but very well done.

On the other paw, I've been reading short stories by Stephen Crane, an author from the 1890s I always thought was very under-rated, especially for how clean and precisely he wrote in an era with a lot of cluttered prose.

Onomatopoeia
10-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Most recently finished the Dark Lord of Derkholm and Year of the Griffin. Currently reading the Rose of the Prophet trilogy.

Kaedal
10-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Reading Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings right now. It's pretty good, if slow going. I'm not sure I much like Kaladin's character, though. He feels very dull and emotionless. I hope he at least gets more interesting as the book goes on.

I will, however, compliment Sanderson's world building. It's an incredibly diverse, interesting and alien world.

Buttercup
10-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Currently working on Game of Thrones.

WolfNightV4X1
10-20-2014, 09:34 PM
I love Neal Shusterman books. He wrote the Everlost/Skinjacker trilogy and the unwind serious. Both are very thought provoking

zaelyx
10-22-2014, 12:33 PM
I recently finished up A Dance with Dragons. As usual, GRRM has left me wanting for more, and this time that desire won't be satisfied for many months to come.

I also read through volumes I - III of Saga (the graphic novel by Brian K. Vaughan), which were absolutely amazing. I read them all in one sitting, simply because I couldn't put them down. Beautiful art, enthralling narrative, intriguing universe. I'd definitely recommend them.

Currently I'm reading through a few Discworld novels I own; I just finished up The Light Fantastic. As with everything Pratchett writes, it was a very light, fun read. Not everyone appreciates his type of humor, but I certainly love it.

Damian
12-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Well, I haven't been able to get much reading done because of school but I have read American Gods by Neil Gaiman and loved it. Pure genius. I'm in the middle of The Inferno by Dan Brown (Not to be confused with The Divine Comedy). In between, I'm reading through Myths and Legends, Demons and Demonology, and a medical book. Mostly it's for research for my own stories.

camu
01-19-2015, 04:14 AM
just finished the fellowship of the ring today and started on the two towers. i love tolkien stuff so much ;o; gonna get the silmarillion soon too!

Krespo
01-19-2015, 05:08 AM
Got the Lovecraft collection on Kobo for a few euro, so I'm working through that. The Nameless City still gives me chills.

Agitoho
01-28-2015, 02:30 PM
I've got a lot of new age/ Wiccan books laying around, all book marked in one place or another. I read a lot of different manga, too. A few weeks ago, I finished up Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray and loved it. I started up on Paradise Lost, but it's proving to be a little difficult...

Levi
03-22-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm going to be finishing my read-through of The Federalist Papers before long, and am forcing my way through Gone With The Wind because I was hit by childhood nostalgia (required reading in middle school) and don't know how to make myself stop a book.

Eduard
03-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Last week I read the novella "Alexandru Lăpuşneanu" by Costache Negruzzi. A Romanian novella about a Moldavian voievode. I have to say, what he did was more intense than the stuff you see in Game of Thrones. Though I never watched Game of Thrones, only heard of it through conversations.

Other than that, this weekend I picked up "Legion of the Damned" by Sven Hassel and so far, it is an interesting read.

There are always some files, notes, essays upon Ancient Warfare and military tactics I peek over here and there.

Hardrockangel
03-22-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm currently almost finished with "Evil for Evil" by KJ Parker. It's heavy on the intrigue and politics, which I really like.

I'm also slowly working my way through "The Silmarillion" and "La Divina Commedia", though both require your full attention when reading.

Levi
03-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Oh, I love The Silmarillion. Going to have to add that to my queue. Thanks!

Remembered another book I'm working through: John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion.

Moogle
04-07-2015, 02:32 AM
Finished The Ice Dragon not too long ago, short and sweet. I'm itchin to find my old Speak novel now. One of my favs!

Therion
04-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Legends of the Dragonrealm- Richard A. Knaak

I've been reading if for awhile and I'm getting very close to the end. I was reading g mostly for entertainment and I need long series to keep me busy. Just when I have free time like waiting for buses or on buses etc. I really have enjoyed it, honestly I just picked if from the shelf and said "I'm going to read you, even if I do not know you." My second try of grabbing a complete stranger book and ending up liking it. What I mean is I did no research on it XD. Normally like to get an idea of it before I but it but not this one. Lol

I really love the world this book created. Its a cool concept to bounce in my head. Though I'm not overly attached to the characters. I feel some of it is meant to be detached but I'm not sure. Though even that I like it Lol. If you like dragons, wars, and magic then yes! Lol XD Though you might get lost a little but I pushed through it and it made more sense XD.

Rokusho
04-15-2015, 11:42 PM
I'm very slowly getting through Mass Effect:Retribution.

Albino Axolotl
08-26-2015, 10:52 PM
The last book I've ever read was The Sheik. An old interesting, disturbing, racist nowadays book from 1919. Right now I'm reading Vathek.

Moogle
09-07-2015, 04:32 PM
For anyone who is/was into Twilight (yep - read it & liked it!), there's a series called Thirst that I highly recommend. Started it and almost finished volume 1 along time ago, but picked it back up the other day and remembered why I liked it so much.

Frank LeRenard
09-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Been reading Bleak House off and on for literally the past 6 months. I'm about 50 pages from the end now. I'd tried reading it 3 or 4 times previously and could only get about 100 pages into it, but this time I vowed to finally get through the whole thing.

After this I'm going to read Kafka's The Trial, because I heart Kafka and I haven't yet read The Trial.

Eagle GodHeart
09-08-2015, 08:42 AM
well about a week ago i just got done reading all of the kevin and kell strips, and a few days ago i got done reading a book a friend of mine wrote.

TX Coywolf
09-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Past couple months I've kept mostly to Lovecraftian styled short stories from various authors and trying to make it through an ESV version of the Bible little sections at a time. Last full length book I read though was The Centaur by Algernon Blackwood.

Frank LeRenard's post reminded me that I have a collected works of Kafka book lying around here somewhere that I have never read so, thanks Frank. I will have to find it sometime here soon.

Ahkrin Descol
09-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Recently been getting into the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix; it took me a while to get into it as it was kind of shoved on me as being 'really good' and I rebelled but it is what it's said to be. Not to be a hypocrite but give it a read if you like your magic/fantasy themed stories.

rbartrop
09-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I finally got into the Ian Banks' Culture series with Consider Phlebas, and I regret no doing this sooner. Also reread Heinlein's Assignment in Eternity.

Dreamline
09-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Finally got around to dusting off the Kindle my mom bought me and started reading The Magical Kingdom of Landover that she also gave me on it.

It's been a pretty good read so far. Heck, it's been forever since I've had a chance (or a thought to) sit down and read. And it feels pretty good~

Levi
09-22-2015, 10:47 AM
I've read two forgettable furry books recommended to me. One was named after a Greek letter, the other one I have to think about the name. Author? Not a clue.

Eagle GodHeart
09-22-2015, 12:15 PM
recently ive been reading the book of Jeramia (bible) and any meme i happen to come by