PDA

View Full Version : Instruments you'd like to learn thread

RainWizard
01-26-2014, 10:08 AM
There's plenty of talk of what you're doing, what you can do, how many times you did it etc going on

But nothing about what you'd like to be learning, doing, studying.
So I figure I'd kick it off!

I'd love to learn to play the Banjo. Partially to play the bit from Deliverance, partly to do the Banjo Kazooie theme.

So, tell me, what about you guys?

zarya
01-26-2014, 10:34 AM
I need to learn guitar.

Rory
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM
I'd love to learn to play the Banjo.

You know, me too. What's sad is, we have a banjo in the basement, yet I cannot wrap my head around how to play it. This shouldn't be a problem for me because my guitar style is perfect for the banjo, but something's not clicking. Also would need to get the finger picking things.

Basically, I'd like to keep experimenting with other stringed instruments. I'd love to be able to play a violin or cello someday.

SirCoffeecup
01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
I really like the sound of the violin. I can't name a song I hate that has it, and some of my fave songs have the violin either in the back or as the lead instrument.
It's just so beautiful and I'd like to produce that sound one day.

RainWizard
01-26-2014, 07:03 PM
If I was gonna go for an orchestral instrument I'd probably go for the double bass, thing is sexy as hell

Tiido
01-26-2014, 08:28 PM
I need to put the MIDI keyboard I have around into some realtime use and eventually actually learn to play stuff on it rather than just make chords and little pieces of melody. Once I can put my finger on the key which note I am hearing, things will get really awesome :)

Sammacha
01-26-2014, 09:17 PM
I wanted to learn to play the flute. But I don't really have a need to so I don't think I ever will, same with the pipa. I think its an interesting instrument I'd love to play it.

Gamedog
01-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I would really like to learn banjo, but it's very complicated.

Chesse20
01-26-2014, 10:24 PM
I wish I had a synth so I can learn to play it

owlette
01-26-2014, 10:30 PM
I've had a lifelong dream of learning to play the Cello. I just think it's such a beautiful instrument..

Sonata
01-27-2014, 12:48 AM
I have always found the saxophone to be an awesome instrument.
I would also love to learn to play the guitar, I feel it's a must for musicians just like the piano.

Pine
01-27-2014, 01:18 AM
I want to learn how to play this thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRn80UOsqw

It's called a whamola (a mix between a whammy bar and a viola) and it's a single-stringed instrument that has a pulley/lever system. The lever is used to alter the tension of the string to change the pitch while you hit the string with a stick.

Wrobel
01-27-2014, 01:44 AM
I'd love to learn guitar sometime. I've fiddled with a ukelele here and there but never really got serious about learning anything ^^;
And I feel like brass instruments in general would be awesome to play.

Tiido
01-27-2014, 02:31 AM
I really love the sound of brass instruments ^^

I want to learn how to play this thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRn80UOsqw

It's called a whamola (a mix between a whammy bar and a viola) and it's a single-stringed instrument that has a pulley/lever system. The lever is used to alter the tension of the string to change the pitch while you hit the string with a stick.

LOL, that one looks total awesome ! I imagine it will take fair bit of practice until you learn the right lever "positions" for each note. It should not so different from a violin and other instruments that don't have frets where you need to learn to place your fingers to the right spots for right notes.

Ley
01-27-2014, 04:59 AM
I want to learn how to play Saxophone SO BADLY

JiJi
01-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Piano and drums mainly.
If I could afford a sax id blast careless whisper daily.
I'd like to vocal scream also, and play quick bass tapping stuff.

RainWizard
01-29-2014, 06:27 PM
If you count vocals as an instrument, I'd love to be able to sing.

In college, after 6 years of them running the music course, only one person ever failed the singing module.

Me.

Batty Krueger
01-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Banjo and Mandolin. They sound awesome and look fun to play. Odd choice for someone into punk, I know.

Sonata
01-29-2014, 09:51 PM
The ocarina. Not just because of my onvious fascination (obsession) with Legend of Zelda, but because it produces a very nice and calm sound that I like to listen to. They are so oddly shape it's unique.

ArcheKruz
02-02-2014, 03:50 PM
I wish I have the opportunity to learn to play the drums.

JiJi
02-06-2014, 10:30 AM
I want to learn my drums properly. They sit here mocking me.

Tiido
02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Go give them some percussive maintenance ! They'll not be mocking you anytime soon then LOL