PDA

View Full Version : Firearms general thread

Brace
01-25-2014, 01:07 PM
I didn't see anything along these lines, so I thought I would make one. A thread for anyone who owns guns as a hunter, sport shooter, collector, or for self-defense. This thread can be a place to post pictures, talk about events, share stories, and even talk politics, so long as those politics remain focused specifically on firearms and don't escalate into trash-talking any one political party or social group. That means I don't want to hear "them stupid liberals want to destroy 'merrika" anymore than I want to hear "those racist right-wingers just want to shoot blacks", and if you get into this territory you will be reported. Please keep pictures work-safe. IE, a picture of a prize-elk you just shot is probably acceptable, but a picture of you field-dressing that same elk is right out. Additionally, although this shouldn't need saying, please don't use this thread to post anything that's illegal or dangerous or encouraging of such behavior. If you're not sure what might qualify, please check the Rules of Gun Safety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_safety#Rules_and_mindset) as well as Federal Firearms regulation (https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf), in addition to regulations for your area (or in the place of, for non-US residents).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm fairly new to firearms and have only owned them for 2 years. I became interested in them for defensive purposes, and at present all of my guns are handguns. I've had my Colorado CCW since October 2012. When I'm carrying, I tend to carry a customized SIG P-238 in Rainbow and an NAA .22wmr mini-revolver.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/KilroyZTC/100_1753_zpse98be5b8.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/KilroyZTC/100_1740_zps483edcb7.jpg

FishNChips
01-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Got three shotguns at home, a Stevens 12-gauge pumpy, a .410 lever-action, and a Winchester over-under 12 gauge. Lovely guns.

Other than that, I own a decommissioned serbian RPK-47.

I used to go to a gun club for a long while. So many war rifles, as well as a post-nam M16. That and a member of the AK family. I think it was a VEPR, my memory is fuzzy.

Family photo:

http://puu.sh/6xG1b.JPG

Those handguns are CO2, but they're pretty. I'd like to own a Walther P-38 one of these days, but handguns and other small guns are banned in this country. The only revolver one can own here is absolutely frigging huge.

SirCoffeecup
01-25-2014, 01:19 PM
I have nothing, but I would like to own a KAR 98 or a Mosin 1890/30 at some point.
Those are sone slick rifles.

Rukh Whitefang
01-25-2014, 03:36 PM
I have a Springfield Armory XD .40 subcompact that I carry. I am looking at getting historic guns as well.

zarya
01-25-2014, 03:44 PM
To my name I have a Ruger 10/22 and a Savage 22 hornet. No pictures, haven't even touched them in a while. But they're pretty. The former latter is a gift from my uncle, who got it from my grandfather, who got it when he was 10.

Batty Krueger
01-25-2014, 03:50 PM
I own a kimber .45 compact
sks
mosin
Mak90
870 pump
522lr

Tiido
01-25-2014, 04:38 PM
The closest things to a firearms I have are a Sega Menacer light gun (well, it is more like a cannon LOL) and some realistic handgun like looking famiclone light guns (not sure what exactly do they look like though, not an expert).

tachi
01-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Cool to see some gunner furries here too. :)

Currently I have a 16" AR-15, A1 sights and a Surefire clamped to the barrel. There's a recently-acquired Romanian SAR-3 next to her in the safe, with a Sears 300 auto 12ga just inside the door. On the top shelf are my two pistols, a Kareen Mk. III (Israeli browning hi power) and a surplus Israeli CZ-85.

Gibby, I read that there's some x-party member running for office in England who wants to abolish the handgun ban there. Seems worth supporting unless he's a total scrub in most other areas.

Brace
01-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Cool to see some gunner furries here too. :)

Currently I have a 16" AR-15, A1 sights and a Surefire clamped to the barrel.

Did you build this yourself? I've been trying to decide between build or buy for a modern sporting rifle or perhaps a battle rifle. I think I'd prefer to build, simply because I love having projects to work on almost more than I love the results of them. Only, I would need help navigating both pricing and quality.

tachi
01-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Did you build this yourself? I've been trying to decide between build or buy for a modern sporting rifle or perhaps a battle rifle. I think I'd prefer to build, simply because I love having projects to work on almost more than I love the results of them. Only, I would need help navigating both pricing and quality.

Kind of. I built the lower from parts but the uppers have been bought complete. You obviously need the combination wrench, a torque wrench, and something to hold the upper receiver in a vice while you torque the barrel. Pistols make better projects than an AR-15 IMHO because there's more to do. Research building a 1911 from parts. If you want a project... :D

Wrobel
01-27-2014, 01:30 AM
I don't do much hunting, but I like going target shooting at the range and collecting some things. ^^

I have a Saiga 7.62x39. Still trying to find some wood furniture for it.
http://puu.sh/6zJv5.jpg
A couple of 22 revolvers:
Armi Tanfoglio Mod. 1A76
Ruger Bearcat
http://puu.sh/6zDWn.jpg
And one I'm still not entirely sure about:
its a Browning 1900, but it's got some interesting brands on the grips. Story was my Grandfather got it from a korean policeman near the end of the conflict there. Still trying to dig up a bit more on it.
http://puu.sh/6zDuM.jpg http://puu.sh/6zDxz.jpg http://puu.sh/6zDzN.jpg

Tiido
01-27-2014, 02:26 AM
^ The last one is really cool piece you got over there !

tachi
01-27-2014, 02:51 AM
@ Wrobel, Ironwood make a wood Saiga sporter stock. You might be served better by converting it and using some surplus wood and a Solar Tactical slip-on to nullify the pistol grip.

And that pistol is nice. See if there's any paperwork to go with it, he likely would have had to fill out a bring back form or something. Keep that one in good condition. ;)

rorick
01-27-2014, 03:09 AM
My mom wouldn't even allow guns in the house for the longest time. My dad, after serving in the Marines, wanted guns. However, I was the first in the family to buy a gun. I bought, last year at the local gun show, a 91/30 Izhevsk Mossin Nagant, stamped as 1942 for year of manufacture. After that, around May or June time frame, I bought a Ruger 10/22 tactical. My dad has a few guns himself now. I plan, within the next few months, to get a S&W SD40 pistol as well, an pershaps a 12 guage shot gun in the next year or so, though I'm still up in the air about the make and model of it.

Chuchi
01-27-2014, 04:19 AM
I had a Mossberg 88 when I lived in the US. And during my law enforcement training, I was married to a Gen 4 Glock 17. Hnngg... I miss that gun. ♥

TangoDelahunt
01-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Is this the unofficial "Weasyl Militia" thread? I am green with envy with some of the stuff you guys have. I think I need to start getting some for me so I'm not -completely- left behind.

tachi
01-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Is this the unofficial "Weasyl Militia" thread? I am green with envy with some of the stuff you guys have. I think I need to start getting some for me so I'm not -completely- left behind.

What flavor suits your pallete?

TangoDelahunt
01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
What flavor suits your pallete?

AR platforms due to being in the USMC. Other than that I'm more of a shotgun sort of guy. That's what I grew up on hunting with. As far as handguns I tend to like revolvers. I used to have a Ruger Redhawk in .357. Loud as hell but very smooth action and accurate as hell.

Wrobel
01-27-2014, 07:41 PM
@ Wrobel, Ironwood make a wood Saiga sporter stock. You might be served better by converting it and using some surplus wood and a Solar Tactical slip-on to nullify the pistol grip.
Ah yeah, you know what I have to deal with ^^. Honestly I like still being able to drop mags without tools and I'm kind of a fan of the sporter look. Plus I'm lacking the tools and it'll be months if at all before I can have a gunsmith convert it. I have been looking at some of the more dragunov style stock options though.
Thanks for the heads up on Ironwood.

And that pistol is nice. See if there's any paperwork to go with it, he likely would have had to fill out a bring back form or something. Keep that one in good condition. ;)
That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure he ever told my grandma where any of that was before he passed, and even if he did she's a bit too spaced out nowadays to remember. But its a sweet little pistol. Still shoots like a charm and accurate too(though we don't fire it too often for obvious reasons.) only issue is some wear on the spring.

ARs are nice platforms. Worked on a few projects with my dad, lowers mostly.
Ended up with a 16" and a 24"
http://puu.sh/6zDFa.jpg
Learned a lot there ^^;

tachi
01-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Ah yeah, you know what I have to deal with ^^. Honestly I like still being able to drop mags without tools and I'm kind of a fan of the sporter look. Plus I'm lacking the tools and it'll be months if at all before I can have a gunsmith convert it. I have been looking at some of the more dragunov style stock options though.
Thanks for the heads up on Ironwood.

A Drag stock is a thumbhole, and under CA law that's still a pistol grip. The Solar Tactical grip wraps aren't the mag locks, they nullify a pistol grip so it's not a pistol grip under CA law, but is still kind of ergonomic. Converting a Saiga to a normal trigger isn't hard, you can do it with a file and an allen key (though a dremel to get through the rivets is much advised). Carolina Shooters Supply sell kits with different stock and grip options. It's been awhile since I checked but they might sell the Solar grip wraps too.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure he ever told my grandma where any of that was before he passed, and even if he did she's a bit too spaced out nowadays to remember. But its a sweet little pistol. Still shoots like a charm and accurate too(though we don't fire it too often for obvious reasons.) only issue is some wear on the spring.

Numrich should have the springs. I'll be flabberghasted and flubberghosted if they don't have springs. Might cost a bit...

Wrobel
01-27-2014, 11:45 PM
A Drag stock is a thumbhole, and under CA law that's still a pistol grip. The Solar Tactical grip wraps aren't the mag locks, they nullify a pistol grip so it's not a pistol grip under CA law, but is still kind of ergonomic. Converting a Saiga to a normal trigger isn't hard, you can do it with a file and an allen key (though a dremel to get through the rivets is much advised). Carolina Shooters Supply sell kits with different stock and grip options. It's been awhile since I checked but they might sell the Solar grip wraps too.Right. Right. Was more just saying I liked the drag style of stock if I went that way. But yeah with the thumbhole and all it still counts as a pistol grip and I'd need the wrap or I'd have to use a mag lock. The wraps just seem like they'd be awkward to use and honestly I would rather avoid both of them if possible. I appreciate the advice though, might look into it more in the future. ^^
As long as I'm in California I think I'll live with the sporter, just wanted a more durable and better looking alternative, thus the wood idea.

Numrich should have the springs. I'll be flabberghasted and flubberghosted if they don't have springs. Might cost a bit...

And I REALLY appreciate this :D

tachi
01-28-2014, 12:22 AM
Glad I could help, Wrobel. ^_^

The way Cali law is worded, any stock/grip that forms an enclosed loop from the base of the grip to the stock is a thumbhole and thus illegal. So putting the wrap on a dragunov style stock would still be illegal. But by all means, if you can't make your rifle look evil then make it look classy. :D With some nice dark-red wood stocks on it the hammered steel of a Russian 8x would look really good on it.

Wrobel
01-28-2014, 02:53 AM
The way Cali law is worded, any stock/grip that forms an enclosed loop from the base of the grip to the stock is a thumbhole and thus illegal. So putting the wrap on a dragunov style stock would still be illegal.
Ah see that, that I did not know! Thanks again!

But by all means, if you can't make your rifle look evil then make it look classy. :D With some nice dark-red wood stocks on it the hammered steel of a Russian 8x would look really good on it.
That's exactly the plan. I've been looking at the POSP types for a bit, trying to see where I want to go with that so I can replace the cheap optics it's got atm. ^^

tachi
01-28-2014, 04:01 AM
That's exactly the plan. I've been looking at the POSP types for a bit, trying to see where I want to go with that so I can replace the cheap optics it's got atm. ^^

You can try Kalinka Optics. Just use credit, not debit when you order from them as they have a reputation for storing customer's info about as securely as Target.

Jaxinc
01-28-2014, 04:14 AM
CZ75 SP01 carry

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae55/Jaxinc/CZ/CZKydex.jpg~original

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae55/Jaxinc/CZ/CZ75SP01-3.jpg~original

Cetme 308

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae55/Jaxinc/cetme.jpg~original

Wrobel
01-28-2014, 04:25 AM
Yeah Kalinka's been my main option so far, they seem to have the best variety plus all the accessories and parts. Thanks for the heads up on payment though, that's the last thing in need to happen. ^^;

Cani Lupine
02-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Diamondback AR15 and custom Ruger 10/22 for me. Here's the AR:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/711c4ef7c9190cef537677a5ae7c8a06/tumblr_mz3zslX1jm1rshb1ao1_1280.png

And the Ruger:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/SirFratley/IMG_2980_zps8ffcfd8b.jpg

tachi
02-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Diamondback AR15 and custom Ruger 10/22 for me. Here's the AR:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/711c4ef7c9190cef537677a5ae7c8a06/tumblr_mz3zslX1jm1rshb1ao1_1280.png

I'm guessing at the range people misinterpret that pawprint on the receiver. :3

And I hope those aren't all the mags you have. AR mags are cheeeeeeeeeep right now. Ammo isn't bad either if you know where to look.

Rabies
02-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Just adding in that I have a S&W model 41 .22 target pistol. I also enjoy shooting a fuse recurve bow when I've had a rough day.

Batty Krueger
02-02-2014, 10:30 PM
A friend of mine wants to sell me an ak47 he snagged off a dead insurgent he took down in Iraq. Thinking about it, its still covered in blood stains and full of dirt. Id buy it right now but FC kinda killed my finaces for a few months.

Brace
02-02-2014, 11:18 PM
A friend of mine wants to sell me an ak47 he snagged off a dead insurgent he took down in Iraq. Thinking about it, its still covered in blood stains and full of dirt. Id buy it right now but FC kinda killed my finaces for a few months.

You might want to review the OP, which specifically says "do not use this thread to post anything illegal"...

Batty Krueger
02-02-2014, 11:37 PM
You might want to review the OP, which specifically says "do not use this thread to post anything illegal"...
Its not illegal.

Brace
02-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Its not illegal.

Illegal importation of a firearm
Possession of a post '86 machine gun (by definition unregistered)
Possessing an NFA item in California
Possessing a literal assault rifle in California
Illegal private sale

Those are just the ones I know. If you're not bullshitting you could literally go to prison until you both die of old age.

Batty Krueger
02-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Hahahaha, whatever you say wiki.
It was something I was thinking of doing. Not something I am gunna do.
This is something people in the military do all the time.

But if you wanna keep pulling wiki articles out of your ass, then please, do so.

Brace
02-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Hahahaha, whatever you say wiki.
It was something I was thinking of doing. Not something I am gunna do.
This is something people in the military do all the time.

But if you wanna keep pulling wiki articles out of your ass, then please, do so.

Alright. Since you're being pointlessly insistent on your multiple felonies, say hello to the ATF for me. I hope your friend enjoys meeting them too, I'm sure you'll remain fast friends after this.

Rukh Whitefang
02-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Brace, assault weapons are not banned federally. Its a state to state issue on how the licenses are given out. Where I live its several thousand dollars to get that license as a private citizen. Second, if a individual was in the military, fbi, cia, or police force then they are legally able to purchase and own assault weapons (full automatic rifles and sub machine guns).

Brace
02-03-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm aware of NFA regulations and the legal differences about them between states. What Batty described is illegal, unless his friend went to the trouble of converting the rifle both to semi-automatic and to a California legal configuration, all without removing the blood and dirt that are allegedly still stained on it.

It would be better if this thread weren't any more sidetracked by this issue. Suffice it to say I'm not happy to have this thread used to brazenly flaunt the law.

blackfurredfox
02-05-2014, 10:20 AM
I have only my humble Mosin I've named Trixie, because its a Great and Powerful rifle. I wish the 7.62x54r was cheaper though. I hope to get a .38 revolver soon though. I love my rifle though, I really tried to make it more unique though so it almost look like a Native American had it in the late 1800s. A few pieces of colorful cloth hold some feathers to the stock around the barrel, a medicine bag holds a few rounds near the butt of the stock, and I hope to make a new leather sling but I don't want to get rid of the one that came with it. All the serials match so I like to believe the sling has been with it since 1943. There is some red on the sling like it could be blood but I think it might just be age/rust water touching the sling at some point in its 71 year history.

tachi
02-05-2014, 11:20 AM
I have only my humble Mosin I've named Trixie, because its a Great and Powerful rifle. I wish the 7.62x54r was cheaper though. I hope to get a .38 revolver soon though. I love my rifle though, I really tried to make it more unique though so it almost look like a Native American had it in the late 1800s. A few pieces of colorful cloth hold some feathers to the stock around the barrel, a medicine bag holds a few rounds near the butt of the stock, and I hope to make a new leather sling but I don't want to get rid of the one that came with it. All the serials match so I like to believe the sling has been with it since 1943. There is some red on the sling like it could be blood but I think it might just be age/rust water touching the sling at some point in its 71 year history.

Tins of x54R are expensive to ship. :( The lowest after-shipping price I could find is $100 shipped from Copes Distributing. http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R It sounds like a cool theme for your file, why not post a photo of it? :) Just don't get a Charter Arms revolver, I've heard very unkind things about the quality of the frames and machining.

FishNChips
02-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Possession of a post '86 machine gun (by definition unregistered)

>AK-47/AKM/AK-74
>Post '86

pick one

tachi
02-07-2014, 05:58 PM
>AK-47/AKM/AK-74
>Post '86

pick one

You're a limey wanker, so I'll give you a good-faith pass on this one. ;) The 1986 cutoff is a result of the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act, which contained an amendment closing the registry for machine guns. MG's imported or manufactured after that date cannot be registered, and thus are illegal for anyone not holding special and expensive manufacturer or retailer licenses. The AK that Batty alludes to would theoretically have been brought in long after the closure of the registry, and as it could not be registered, is contraband that will land the possessor a ten-year junket in Club Fed. It is also entirely possible that the AK's in Iraq are Bulgarian and/or Romanian rifles manufactured after 1986, though the manufacture date of a machine gun in another country is of no consequence to its legality here.

Brace, I'm thinking about getting my CC license soon and I was thinking about a pocket pistol, either a Taurus PT22-Poly or a NAA Black Widow with the flip grip. How do you like your NAA?

blackfurredfox
02-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Tins of x54R are expensive to ship. :( The lowest after-shipping price I could find is $100 shipped from Copes Distributing. http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R It sounds like a cool theme for your file, why not post a photo of it? :) Just don't get a Charter Arms revolver, I've heard very unkind things about the quality of the frames and machining.

I need to get a new phone first to upload a pic. My current one is a bit odd. Ive been looking into buying a tin at a gunshow but its just hard to get there before they're all gone. I. I posted this in the mugshot thread but it seems appropriate here as well.
http://t.facdn.net/6725136@400-1319407919.jpg
M16A1 at Knob Creek MG Shoot with a .50 Browning M2 in the background. I have one other of me with a M14 and a LAW in the background.

Haedan
02-07-2014, 08:42 PM
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u575/aidenoconner/IMG_2864_zpsa275cdbc.jpg

I've got three firearms, all for hunting. From left to right, I have a 12 Gauge Browning BPS for birds, a Browning .25 WSSM Rifle for deer, and a customized 12 Gauge Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel and recoil reducing Knoxx stock for deer. I use the Mossberg when I can't use my rifle in a certain area due to local laws.

It's unfortunate that I really can't go hunting in Florida. Before I moved here, I used to go hunting with my dad every year. I miss the woods; I don't do much hunting anymore.

I was also looking into getting a Bersa Thunder .380 pistol and an AK pattern semi-automatic rifle, but that's way in the future for when I have more cash.

Dreaming
02-08-2014, 12:57 AM
I've never seen a real firearm... :c Something I remember from years ago (I'm talking, like, the 90s), our neighbor had this ancient gun mounted to the wall in his garage, but it was so badly rusted it was barely even recognizable. I forget the story behind that, but I recall something along the lines of a warfare gun?

Brace
02-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Brace, I'm thinking about getting my CC license soon and I was thinking about a pocket pistol, either a Taurus PT22-Poly or a NAA Black Widow with the flip grip. How do you like your NAA?

It's well-made functionally, but has some holster wear already. Also, the 1 & 1/8th inch barrel model is known for keyholing. The sight system is also peculiar and takes some definite getting used to, but is completely functional. If you're getting the Black Widow then some of these things shouldn't be problems. If possible, you should test out the flip grip ahead of time though. It seems like a gimmick that might overcomplicate your draw.

Thanks for the explanation on the Hughes Amendment.

Scifox
02-13-2014, 07:19 PM
I received some extra income over the years doing some freelance gunsmithing, then it turned into a hobby that I still enjoy. Necessity demanded I sell almost all of my collection, which at one time was substantial.
All I have left now are these:

http://i.imgur.com/h16ZxBN.jpg

The 1874 Sharps I am giving to a friend.

The other is a Palmetto State upper, BCM bcg and charging handle, on a DPMS lower. Aimpoint P.R.O. Custom trigger group. Troy muzzle break.

Brace
02-13-2014, 07:28 PM
That Sharps is pretty. How much of a pain is it to clean?

Scifox
02-13-2014, 08:05 PM
I load my own .45-70, both black and smokeless. Really its not a pain at all for either, but the black is more time consuming. : )

- - - Updated - - -

Do you live in KY Black?

tachi
08-15-2014, 07:38 PM
This thread is too dead. :unsure:

Here is the newest addition to my collection; Eve. Started as a Royal Tiger grade-C parts kit, has a 1-9 twist barrel from AR15sport and the sling is an Israeli-style from Zahal.

http://i.imgur.com/7TWxZX5.jpg

Brace
08-16-2014, 03:21 PM
I sold my HP22A and Kel Tec. I also picked up an LCR .38 S&W spcl for $300 with the intention of flipping it, but haven't had any offers yet. Sucks. Also, the left grip to my sig got damaged and the pink pearl grips to my NAA .22lr broke and fell off in transport ;_;

FishNChips
08-16-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm bored of my shotguns. :[

I want an Enfield. Or a Mosin.

SirCoffeecup
08-16-2014, 07:04 PM
ITT Americans

Jim
08-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Is it too late for me to show stuff off?

Here's my shooty-poops:
http://i.imgur.com/c8mTMlF.jpg

My AR and Peestolio. PSA-15 M4-dimension rifle. It's basic, but I'm a kind of basic guy. O: Also just yer standard Glock 19 for concealed carry.

http://i.imgur.com/ZCTMD5n.jpg

I used to have the Mossberg 500, but sold it to cut my losses with the AR purchase. :x

TeenageAngst
08-17-2014, 02:23 AM
This reminds me I need to buy a gun. Like need to. I've already had one pointed at me while I was in a parking lot and lemme tell you, that was an experience.

tachi
08-17-2014, 09:45 AM
I sold my HP22A and Kel Tec. I also picked up an LCR .38 S&W spcl for $300 with the intention of flipping it, but haven't had any offers yet. Sucks. Also, the left grip to my sig got damaged and the pink pearl grips to my NAA .22lr broke and fell off in transport ;_;

Onoes :( Are those expensive to replace?

@TA, if you're in the USA try taking a NRA-certified CCW/CPL class, even if you're not going to carry. The good classes are pretty informative.

TeenageAngst
08-17-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure how many nuances there are to loading/firing a pump-action but okay.

Jim
08-17-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure how many nuances there are to loading/firing a pump-action but okay.

I think they were implying you'd probably want a handgun to carry with you for parking lot situations. O:

That said the NRA does have defensive/offensive shotgun courses you can take. There are some nuances in the strategy and implementation of a pump-gun!

TeenageAngst
08-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't really trust the NRA but that's purely from a political point of view, idk what the quality of their actual classes are. I was thinking of splitting the difference and getting a stubby pump action with a pistol grip to keep in my car. Either that or a 1911 tucked next to my steering column. The real issue is affordability, thanks to rampaging lunatics being blown wildly out of proportion by the media and Obama simply existing, jittery rednecks have caused the prices of guns and ammo to go sky high.

Jim
08-17-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't really trust the NRA but that's purely from a political point of view, idk what the quality of their actual classes are. I was thinking of splitting the difference and getting a stubby pump action with a pistol grip to keep in my car. Either that or a 1911 tucked next to my steering column. The real issue is affordability, thanks to rampaging lunatics being blown wildly out of proportion by the media and Obama simply existing, jittery rednecks have caused the prices of guns and ammo to go sky high.

If you want a car-gun go with the pistol, unless you really wanna go for the short shotgun. By law shotguns cannot have a barrel shorter than 18 inches, which is pretty cumbersome even for home defense. You can get a short-barreled shotgun, but that requires getting a $200.00 tax stamp through the ATF and waiting a nice loooooong time for them to do the paperwork. ;w;

TeenageAngst
08-17-2014, 05:32 PM
I live in VA, if I can't find someone to "customize" a shotgun for me I'm not trying.

Jim
08-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Just be wary if you don't get that thing stamped via the ATF, regardless of if the short barrel is factory or custom, it's a crime. O: Also you gotta register it with the NFA. Otherwise it's an illegal modification.

Also I was wrong, it's only a $5.00 tax stamp for short barrels. The $200.00 is for silencers and machine guns.

If you ever need to actually defend yourself with it, you might be setting yourself up for some trouble without the paperwork and stamps. That and just getting pulled over for speeding or whatever could get you in trouble if you have it in the car and it's not legally shortened. :x Just stuff to keep in mind.

tachi
08-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Just be wary if you don't get that thing stamped via the ATF, regardless of if the short barrel is factory or custom, it's a crime. O: Also you gotta register it with the NFA. Otherwise it's an illegal modification.

Also I was wrong, it's only a $5.00 tax stamp for short barrels. The $200.00 is for silencers and machine guns.

If you ever need to actually defend yourself with it, you might be setting yourself up for some trouble without the paperwork and stamps. That and just getting pulled over for speeding or whatever could get you in trouble if you have it in the car and it's not legally shortened. :x Just stuff to keep in mind.

The $5 tax applies only to the transfer of AOW's or 'Any Other Weapon'. The $200 tax still applies to the manufacture of any NFA-regulated item. AOW covers firearms not meeting the strict definitions of the NFA such as handguns, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, ect. Examples of AOW's would be a handgun with an additional vertical grip, or a smoothbore shotgun. The Serbu Super Shorty is an example of the latter.

In agreement with Jim, don't break the law. It's just not worth it. As to the affordability of guns, things must be pretty different in Virginia than Michigan. Find a gun shop nearby who will transfer a firearm for you, and order a police trade-in Glock 22 from CDNN. [this advice valid as of 8/17/2014] I don't totally agree with the NRA either, but they are one of the biggest assets the pro-gun movement has, if not sometimes embarrassing. The CPL class I took was certified by the NRA and very comprehensive in state/local law, the philosophy of carrying a gun, as well as various practical shooting drills. HIGHLY advised even if you don't plan on going through with a carry permit.

Jim
08-18-2014, 01:11 AM
The CPL class I took was certified by the NRA and very comprehensive in state/local law, the philosophy of carrying a gun, as well as various practical shooting drills. HIGHLY advised even if you don't plan on going through with a carry permit.

I will vouch for the classes, at least. I too don't care much for the NRA's talking heads' ideas (other than Colion Noir). The classes have very little to do with the politics of the org, they're just sponsored/certified through them. I've taken a few defensive handgun/concealed carry courses through an NRA certified instructor and he never got preachy or anything, well except for barbeque, he took barbeque very seriously. :x

Avaelon125
08-22-2014, 03:55 AM
I've got no guns because I live in a country where they're illegal. One day I'll move to the Czech republic and buy all of the AK's.

But I got my opinions on firearms. My favourite guns are:

1. Ed Brown Special Forces M1911: You haven't heard God's music until you've heard one of these things put a .45 ACP on a steel target at 70 metres.

2. SG-556 SWAT Mod: Swiss-designed firearms get me hot and heavy under this here combat armour that I somehow pulled out of hammerspace. But this baby is probably one of the best, nay greatest, modern firearms ever made on account of it being just...perfect. I can't even put my love for it into words. I'd sell both my kidneys for fifteen minutes with this bad boy.

3. Avtomata Kalashnikov 47: Of all the weapons in the vast soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure, no one was lining up to buy their cars. - Nicolas Cage as Sergei Orlov, Lord of War

4. Moisin-Nagat: You drop it on the ground and it moves the Earth. It takes one shot to kill fifteen paper targets since the shockwave knocks the entire range to pieces. It was designed by a drunk Sergei Moisin who drew the initial design on a bar napkin. You need to fire two shots, since the first dislocates your shoulder and the second puts it back into place. If you're low on tent stakes, the bayonet doubles as one, and you can use the buttstock as a hammer. The only attachment you get is a bayonet, which is buried under a residential block in downtown Budapest. For one hundred dollars, you can probably get five of these things and use them as backup frying pans or additional seating. You can't hunt with it because it turns deer into an ominous red mist. Non-standard attachments are added in Bubba's garage using duct tape and bailing wire. Shooting it can cause spontaneous orgasms.

tachi
08-22-2014, 09:39 AM
I've got no guns because I live in a country where they're illegal. One day I'll move to the Czech republic and buy all of the AK's.

But I got my opinions on firearms. My favourite guns are:

1. Ed Brown Special Forces M1911

2. SG-556 SWAT Mod: Swiss-designed firearms get me hot and heavy under this here combat armour that I somehow pulled out of hammerspace. But this baby is probably one of the best, nay greatest, modern firearms ever made on account of it being just...perfect. I can't even put my love for it into words. I'd sell both my kidneys for fifteen minutes with this bad boy.

3. Avtomata Kalashnikov 47

4. Moisin-Nagat: You drop it on the ground and it moves the Earth. It takes one shot to kill fifteen paper targets since the shockwave knocks the entire range to pieces. It was designed by a drunk Sergei Moisin who drew the initial design on a bar napkin. You need to fire two shots, since the first dislocates your shoulder and the second puts it back into place. If you're low on tent stakes, the bayonet doubles as one, and you can use the buttstock as a hammer. The only attachment you get is a bayonet, which is buried under a residential block in downtown Budapest. For one hundred dollars, you can probably get five of these things and use them as backup frying pans or additional seating. You can't hunt with it because it turns deer into an ominous red mist. Non-standard attachments are added in Bubba's garage using duct tape and bailing wire. Shooting it can cause spontaneous orgasms.

Aaaaaand our first visitor from /k/! :)

My only advice is not to try for the SIG-556, look for the 552 instead. The 556 was an export model to the US and not only is the stock wonky there were some reliability issues presented at one point.

Also for anyone taking his blocks of text seriously, the Mosin Nagant is essentially a cheap Russian .308-equivalent bolt rifle as accurate as the cheap surplus ammo put through it. In the American market they're about $130ish for a common model.

Avaelon125
08-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Aaaaaand our first visitor from /k/! :)

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/youre-goddamn-right.gif

Should I really take pride in this fact? Probably not. We are talking about people who've made posts such as these:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/k+ommando+s+fantasies.+Subscribe+to+me+and+add+me+ as+a_48af6f_5238414.png

My only advice is not to try for the SIG-556, look for the 552 instead. The 556 was an export model to the US and not only is the stock wonky there were some reliability issues presented at one point.

I've seen Hickok45 do a video on it and he said it was perfect. Only God's opinion trumps his.

Also for anyone taking his blocks of text seriously, the Mosin Nagant is essentially a cheap Russian .308-equivalent bolt rifle as accurate as the cheap surplus ammo put through it. In the American market they're about $130ish for a common model.

The Moisin-Nagat is a perfect home defence weapon! You'll scare the shit out of any trespasser by falling down the stairs naked with your Moisin and ripping the shit out of your wall plaster with the bayonet. Not to mention that it'll probably render them deaf. Also, it has so many uses! Grill sausages with it! Use it to pole-vault! Charge some rabbits while screaming 'URRRAAAAAA'! SO MANY OPTIONS!

Brace
08-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I just assume everyone at least lurks /k/

I replaced my NAA .22 grips with the original wood grips, which give more traction anyway. It's also become my only carry, because I'm hoofing it around CU Boulder campus these days and want something comfortable. More and more I feel like larger, service caliber EDCs are for the insecure. My self-defense principle is based mostly on the concept that nobody likes getting shot.

TeenageAngst
08-24-2014, 02:10 AM
I just assume everyone at least lurks /k/

I replaced my NAA .22 grips with the original wood grips, which give more traction anyway. It's also become my only carry, because I'm hoofing it around CU Boulder campus these days and want something comfortable. More and more I feel like larger, service caliber EDCs are for the insecure. My self-defense principle is based mostly on the concept that nobody likes getting shot.

Wait wat.

Brace
08-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Wait wat.

In Colorado, you are allowed to carry on any public college campus, as well as any private campus that allows it. Carry on campus wasn't mentioned as prohibited by law, so it went to the state supreme court, who ruled that not only are you allowed to carry on campus currently but that individual public institutions, as institutions that receive state funding, can't have policies preventing lawful concealed carry. However, they said that the legislature or the public could pass a new law to make it illegal. HB 1226 was intended to do this, but was withdrawn due to controversy after the testimony of a CCW holding rape victim. There was a bill set to be voted on this November that would have done this as well, but it was withdrawn due to fears that it would bring out a swarm of Republican voters in otherwise off-season voting, undermining some of the achievements of the more liberal wing (like legal weed).

Jim
08-24-2014, 04:35 PM
In Colorado, you are allowed to carry on any public college campus, as well as any private campus that allows it. Carry on campus wasn't mentioned as prohibited by law, so it went to the state supreme court, who ruled that not only are you allowed to carry on campus currently but that individual public institutions, as institutions that receive state funding, can't have policies preventing lawful concealed carry. However, they said that the legislature or the public could pass a new law to make it illegal. HB 1226 was intended to do this, but was withdrawn due to controversy after the testimony of a CCW holding rape victim. There was a bill set to be voted on this November that would have done this as well, but it was withdrawn due to fears that it would bring out a swarm of Republican voters in otherwise off-season voting, undermining some of the achievements of the more liberal wing (like legal weed).

One thing I wish we could get in NC.

We recently passed a bill that allows us to keep handguns locked in cars on campus in parking lots, but we can't straight up carry yet. ;w;

Rukh Whitefang
09-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Recently went and took my Springfield XD 40 to the shooting range. I like it, not much kick, accurate. I carry it all the time. For as big as the gun is I don't even notice it anymore.

Jim
09-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Recently went and took my Springfield XD 40 to the shooting range. I like it, not much kick, accurate. I carry it all the time. For as big as the gun is I don't even notice it anymore.

You carry the full-size? O:

They can be big but they seem to be on the slim side, at least.

I've hard tons of good things about 'em.

Rukh Whitefang
09-07-2014, 11:34 PM
You carry the full-size? O:

They can be big but they seem to be on the slim side, at least.

I've hard tons of good things about 'em.

Oh, its not a full frame. Its the compact, 3 inch barrel.

I did meet someone at the range that conceal carries a browning 1911 though.

Jim
09-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Oh, its not a full frame. Its the compact, 3 inch barrel.

I did meet someone at the range that conceal carries a browning 1911 though.

Ah that makes more sense :3

I've met dudes that conceal 1911s as well. O: Personally I don't think I could get away with it unless I was rockin' a shoulder holster and a button-down or something.

Brace
10-20-2014, 06:15 PM
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/KilroyZTC/101_0206_zps5fd0adb0.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/KilroyZTC/101_0210_zps38e0b039.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/KilroyZTC/101_0211_zps032f04df.jpg

Added an aluminum trigger to my P238. Very happy with the overall look. Garish as hell, just what I was going for. Now I need to find a better holster for it...

Oreo
10-20-2014, 09:05 PM
That is one nice piece of iron. I really like the heat treating marks on the slide, and those grip panels are hard to beat.

The worlds worst nightmare - Well armed furrys! :ninja:

Jim
10-20-2014, 09:09 PM
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/KilroyZTC/101_0206_zps5fd0adb0.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/KilroyZTC/101_0210_zps38e0b039.jpg
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/KilroyZTC/101_0211_zps032f04df.jpg

Added an aluminum trigger to my P238. Very happy with the overall look. Garish as hell, just what I was going for. Now I need to find a better holster for it...

Nice grips on that one. :P

If only they had bara demon guy silhouettes with obvious boners, I'd get two of 'em! <:

Brace
10-20-2014, 10:15 PM
That is one nice piece of iron. I really like the heat treating marks on the slide, and those grip panels are hard to beat.

The worlds worst nightmare - Well armed furrys! :ninja:

The rainbow slide model was actually one of the major reasons I got the P238. (The other being that I shot it at a range and was smitten with the clean break of a single action trigger, the quality of the sights, and the limited recoil).

Nice grips on that one. :P

If only they had bara demon guy silhouettes with obvious boners, I'd get two of 'em! <:

They don't make them, but there are places where you can send them your own image and they'll make them to order. Here's one, for instance: https://www.gungrips.net/

Jim
10-20-2014, 11:26 PM
The rainbow slide model was actually one of the major reasons I got the P238. (The other being that I shot it at a range and was smitten with the clean break of a single action trigger, the quality of the sights, and the limited recoil).

They don't make them, but there are places where you can send them your own image and they'll make them to order. Here's one, for instance: https://www.gungrips.net/

Oh man that's awesome! O: I could totally put together an accurate S.T.A.R.S. Beretta 92 with some grips from those guys!

zaelyx
10-21-2014, 11:33 PM
My collection is paltry, but then again I am only getting started, and guns are damn expensive!

Glock 23 in black. Holster is Comp-tac's Minotaur MTAC (which I can't recommend highly enough).

http://i.imgur.com/fimoLj3.jpg

Looking to get either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590 next. Anyone have thoughts on those models?

Jim
10-22-2014, 12:55 AM
My collection is paltry, but then again I am only getting started, and guns are damn expensive!

Glock 23 in black. Holster is Comp-tac's Minotaur MTAC (which I can't recommend highly enough).

Looking to get either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590 next. Anyone have thoughts on those models?

Guns are darn expensive ;w; I'd have like 30 if I weren't living paycheck to paycheck these days.

Having owned a Mossberg 500 series I must say they're great guns. Durable, simple breakdown, easy to maintain and use. If you're going for a 590 but are strapped for cash, I'd just get a 500. Same design, same aftermarket parts and accessory options. Only difference is you don't get the bayonet lug, really. That and they're like half the cost.

870's are nice if you can find an older one, I've heard Remington's had reliability and quality assurance issues since they were bought out by Freedom Group. If you can find a pre-2007 model I say go for it, if it's made after '07 I'd be wary, it's luck of the draw with what kind of quality you're getting with the newer stuff it seems.

zaelyx
10-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Well, I don't think I'd need a bayonet lug. The Mossberg 500 series seems quite reasonable and affordable, thanks for the recommendation!

tachi
10-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Alas, in their faq they state that they refuse to do porn, and reserve the right to determine what porn is. I'm guessing that obvious erections would qualify.

And Brace, sometimes garish is good. ^_^

Gamedog
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Any of you guys ever try out Winchester Subsonic .22LR?
What were your thoughts on them? I wanted to get them for trapping but I'm a little uneasy about hollowpoints because I don't want to destroy fur.

Njorunn
11-29-2014, 12:11 AM
I only has a mosin nagant. I took it apart in order to remove all the weird packaging oil it was in then put it back together. I have yet to test fire it, no places locally to do so. I hand picked the one with the communist hammer and sickle for ironic purposes (I'm heavily philosophically and ethically opposed to communism).

I'm kinda jealous of your firearm with the furry profile on it Brace! I'd get a handgun license, but I'm in NY state. It's most likely not going to happen. X3

Jim
11-30-2014, 07:15 PM
I only has a mosin nagant. I took it apart in order to remove all the weird packaging oil it was in then put it back together. I have yet to test fire it, no places locally to do so. I hand picked the one with the communist hammer and sickle for ironic purposes (I'm heavily philosophically and ethically opposed to communism).

I'm kinda jealous of your firearm with the furry profile on it Brace! I'd get a handgun license, but I'm in NY state. It's most likely not going to happen. X3

At least you're not in NYC :P You got a better chance at it at least. Honestly if I had to live in NY I'd probably do police work part-time just so I could have decent access to firearms. Which really isn't right, but some places you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've been meaning to get me some commie guns. I'd love a ruskie SKS, I do need to get at least one Mosin, and what's a firearms collection without a Makarov! O:

Also yeah, that cosmoline stuff can be a pain in the patoot. ;w;

Rotten
12-02-2014, 12:43 AM
You need a handgun license to own a handgun in NYC? If so, thank the lord I live in Texas. I heard Russian arms and scurried on over to this thread, I own two Mosins one was a beater that I converted to a sporter and the other is in original configuration. One thing about Mosins is if you shoot the surplus ammo that comes in "spam" cans be sure to immediately clean every part of that rifle. The primers used in the rifle rounds has a biproduct that is corrosive and will start to rust your mosin almost immediately. All you really need to dilute the acidic salts is to use hot water and ammonia before carrying on with normal cleaning and oiling. Though my hex receiver I barely shoot mostly because it is my current "museum" gun meaning I just have it to say I own it LOL.

Jim, if you want to get an SKS I'd do it quick. Russian arms aren't coming into America anymore and their prices are quickly rocketing up. I remember when an SKS could be had for around 150 dollars, now they are in the lower 400s. Makarovs are awesome! But if you're looking for an investment gun I'd look for an East German Makarov. Their value is the highest among the Makarovs and will only go up. But if you just want something to plink or poke holes in paper with I'd suggest getting your paws on a bulgarian made Makarov. They are in abundance here in the states, got mine for a little over 100 dollars. For a pistol that essentially shoots a 9mm or .380 that is high value and nothing but fun. Not to mention I can find the makarov round here for a little over 10 dollars for a box of 50, even during the gun scare and "ammo crisis".

MischievousRaven
12-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Firearms are fun! I enjoy shooting and hunting with firearms-- most particularly, hunting small game with an old but well-kept .22. I utilize the same fields and backwoods and the same .22 my grandfather used decades ago to put food on the table! It's quite a humbling thing. I also have experience with larger rifles (30-06, 30-30, etc) and pistols as well.

Jim
12-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Firearms are fun! I enjoy shooting and hunting with firearms-- most particularly, hunting small game with an old but well-kept .22. I utilize the same fields and backwoods and the same .22 my grandfather used decades ago to put food on the table! It's quite a humbling thing. I also have experience with larger rifles (30-06, 30-30, etc) and pistols as well.

I would really like to get myself a sturdy little .22 at some point. That's pretty cool that you're doing what your grandfather did with the same rifle! O: That's some interesting history you're recreating!

Also what kind of bigger rifles have you played with?

tachi
12-08-2014, 12:25 PM
At least you're not in NYC :P You got a better chance at it at least. Honestly if I had to live in NY I'd probably do police work part-time just so I could have decent access to firearms. Which really isn't right, but some places you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've been meaning to get me some commie guns. I'd love a ruskie SKS, I do need to get at least one Mosin, and what's a firearms collection without a Makarov! O:

Also yeah, that cosmoline stuff can be a pain in the patoot. ;w;

Chinese SKS's are $309 at AIM Surplus (as of this post) and its still technically commie. Clean up the wood and its only difference is the bayonet. Should still be a chrome lined barrel. Good base for making a SKS-M.

Jim
12-14-2014, 05:33 AM
Chinese SKS's are $309 at AIM Surplus (as of this post) and its still technically commie. Clean up the wood and its only difference is the bayonet. Should still be a chrome lined barrel. Good base for making a SKS-M.

Neat! <: I always thought SKS-M would be cool to have. Any thoughts on the Yugo variants? There's one at my local gun shop for $450 at the moment.

Also, just to everyone in general, I'm thinking of trading my Glock 19 towards a Glock 17, then using my tax return money to get a Ruger LCR or maybe a Sig P250 compact as a carry piece. :x Any thoughts on that? Figured I'd make the full-size 9 my BOB side-arm and use the LCR or Sig as my regular carry piece.

tachi
12-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Neat! <: I always thought SKS-M would be cool to have. Any thoughts on the Yugo variants? There's one at my local gun shop for $450 at the moment.

Also, just to everyone in general, I'm thinking of trading my Glock 19 towards a Glock 17, then using my tax return money to get a Ruger LCR or maybe a Sig P250 compact as a carry piece. :x Any thoughts on that? Figured I'd make the full-size 9 my BOB side-arm and use the LCR or Sig as my regular carry piece.

The Glock 17's grip is IMHO too big to be anything other than a combat/duty gun open carried, and then why not go with the longer barrel length and get a G34? Also, I imagine you have at least a few 19 mags you'd have to get rid of if you made the swap.

Unless you prefer the look of the Yugo or have to have a blade bayonet, go with the Chinese. After shipping and transfer fee its still cheaper and you get a chrome lined barrel (IIRC). Go on gunbroker and use their find-a-ffl tool if you don't know of one that doesn't charge an outrageous fee. I'd also have no qualms about dremeling and welding a Chinese SKS receiver to make my own 'M'.

captainhowdy
12-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm not too keen on guns, even as an American. I like BB and Airsoft guns for fun or to shoot random objects, but I have no interest in shooting living things (even defensively). I like using guns in video games, 'cause I can't possibly hurt anyone that way, but all said and done, my dad did get me a Henry repeating rifle for my birthday a few years back:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/28busth.jpg

I guess it's cool, 'cause it's built via historical standards, but it's a child-size, and I'm 6 foot 4 (~2m). I've shot it a few times, but I'm slightly near-sighted, so I can't really see a target or small objects past like 25-50m. If it had a rail for a scope, I'd so get one, even if not historically accurate.

Jim
12-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Well Cap'n Howdy guns can definitely be used for target shooting, plinking, and skeet shooting if you're not big on self-defense or hunting. O: A Henry's a good plinker in fact! They recently had a limited run of EMS commemorative rifles I was ogliin', out of my budget for now but maybe if I find one later it'd make a nice mantle piece. :P I always thought lever-actions were pretty neat.

I mean if you never got another gun in your life that Henry's decent for what you like, even if it is a little small.

Also with near-sightedness I find I shoot better sighting with my left eye, which is better than my right eye apparently. One of those things, I guess. You gotta get a feel for that with practice. One thing I hate is how my field-of-view is limited to the rectangles of my spectacles, so peripheral vision in defensive or competitive shooting is not the best for me. And it's always a pain finding ballistics-rated safety glasses that fit over Rx glasses. ;w;

Also,

The Glock 17's grip is IMHO too big to be anything other than a combat/duty gun open carried, and then why not go with the longer barrel length and get a G34? Also, I imagine you have at least a few 19 mags you'd have to get rid of if you made the swap.

For my big ol' hands the 17 sits just about perfect, actually. :P With just the stock grip. And the plan is to make my 17 the combat/duty open-carry piece more or less. With whatever else I get being my new concealed piece. The G34 is nice and I'll probably eventually get one for competitive shooting, but for now I just wanna go for the basic standardness of the 17. :x

captainhowdy
12-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Well Cap'n Howdy guns can definitely be used for target shooting, plinking, and skeet shooting if you're not big on self-defense or hunting. O: A Henry's a good plinker in fact! They recently had a limited run of EMS commemorative rifles I was ogliin', out of my budget for now but maybe if I find one later it'd make a nice mantle piece. :P I always thought lever-actions were pretty neat.

I mean if you never got another gun in your life that Henry's decent for what you like, even if it is a little small.

Also with near-sightedness I find I shoot better sighting with my left eye, which is better than my right eye apparently. One of those things, I guess. You gotta get a feel for that with practice. One thing I hate is how my field-of-view is limited to the rectangles of my spectacles, so peripheral vision in defensive or competitive shooting is not the best for me. And it's always a pain finding ballistics-rated safety glasses that fit over Rx glasses. ;w;

Yeah - That's pretty much what it's good for, albeit even though it's a repeater, it's a little hard to cock. If I wasn't so near-sighted, I'd go plinking and target shooting more, but I can barely see the them past the ~50m mark, which isn't quite as fun. I prefer oldschool guns myself, history is one of my favourite subjects!

Both my eyes are just about the same, and I'm ambidextrous so I could go either way! Though it wouldn't help a whole lot xD

tachi
12-18-2014, 12:52 AM
but I have no interest in shooting living things (even defensively).

At least the way I see it, there is no such thing as absolute morality. We live in a society with rules. If it gets to the point where you would have to use deadly force against another person to genuinely defend yourself, that person has broken so many rules, shown such little respect for society, that their life becomes less valuable than yours.

Oh Jim, it seems AIM sold out of the SKS's.

captainhowdy
12-18-2014, 05:43 PM
At least the way I see it, there is no such thing as absolute morality. We live in a society with rules. If it gets to the point where you would have to use deadly force against another person to genuinely defend yourself, that person has broken so many rules, shown such little respect for society, that their life becomes less valuable than yours.

I'm with you on morality at least! I don't think there's absolute morality either.

However, I do think non-lethal approaches are better for most situations - Sure, it's a bit riskier, and that approach wouldn't necessarily work for every unexpected situation, but I think it's a better go-to than a gun. I don't look down upon people who genuinely defend themselves with deadly force, but it's just not something I would do myself.

Jim
12-18-2014, 06:36 PM
However, I do think non-lethal approaches are better for most situations - Sure, it's a bit riskier, and that approach wouldn't necessarily work for every unexpected situation, but I think it's a better go-to than a gun. I don't look down upon people who genuinely defend themselves with deadly force, but it's just not something I would do myself.

Non-lethal has its merits. Though I myself am willing to end a life to save mine or that of someone in peril, I know not everyone is comfortable with that, and I wont' judge you for it. I'd rather you not carry a gun for self-defense than carry one without the resolve necessary to actually use it should it be a life or death situation.

I mean, if you bring a gun into a fight you've made it a gun fight, and if you don't have a means of escape that means should you not be willing to use it, your opponent may very well do so. I've seen it happen, and it's tragic when it does. There's a lot of people out there that buy guns for defense but never mean to do more than scare people away with it or simply use it as a deterrent. That doesn't work every time, and if your opponent is willing to kill somebody to live and you ain't, there's a solid chance they're going to try and wrestle that gun away from you and empty your skull with it. :x So I totally support your stance/decision there. If you're not willing to use a gun defensively you're doing the right thing by not carrying it defensively.

Anyways, that aside, there's some stout OC spray you can buy, and there's even civilian variants of the M26 tasers cops use. If you're going to buy a non-lethal means of defense go for that stuff. You want something that incapacitates, not hurts/annoys. The Wal-Mart pepper-spray and those hand-held stun-guns will hurt somebody, sure, but it's not going to knock them down or incapicate them. So you're basically banking on them being a wimp and wussing out of a fight because they don't have much pain tolerance.

The tasers are absurdly expensive, so I'd say you're best off getting real OC spray.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster-ii-red Kimber (a gun manufaturer, funnily enough) actually makes a neat OC spray device. It has two spray nozzles and it sprays with enough force to minimize blow-back and hit opponents up to ~15 feet or 4.5 meters.

If you want a real taser expect to pay as much as you would for a mid-range handgun: http://store.taser.com/taser-c2-p116.aspx (that's the cheapest option from the actual Taser brand)

tachi
12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Well I just learned that SBRs are legal on the state level in Michigan now, which opens-up quite a few options I had previously not even entertained because of the inability to get them. (Federal registration still applies of course). Price dependent this knocks a Scorption Evo towards the top of the list, but I can't help but want to compactness and pure political-incorrectness of a semi-auto mac-11 with a mini-uzi folding stock. Also, Atlantic Firearms is due to release a 9mm AK with an 11" barrel soon, so there's that to think about as well.

Jim
01-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Well I just learned that SBRs are legal on the state level in Michigan now, which opens-up quite a few options I had previously not even entertained because of the inability to get them. (Federal registration still applies of course). Price dependent this knocks a Scorption Evo towards the top of the list, but I can't help but want to compactness and pure political-incorrectness of a semi-auto mac-11 with a mini-uzi folding stock. Also, Atlantic Firearms is due to release a 9mm AK with an 11" barrel soon, so there's that to think about as well.

Noice, those new Skorpies are cool as heck! O: If I had the money to fling around I'd sure as heck get one!

I wouldn't mind having a SBR AR of some sort. Heck, I wouldn't mind getting a tax stamp to have a shotgun shaved down eventually either. O:

tachi
01-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Well, there's the Serbu super-shorty, but the usefulness of that is debatable. I knew a guy who SBS'ed an old Browning Auto-5 so the barrel was no longer than the mag tube. If they worked better I'd want to do that to one of the Century Arms 1887 clones. Can't extend the mag tube, so might as well cut the barrel and thread it for a breaching choke. ^_^

Jim
01-04-2015, 01:00 PM
The Serbus are cute but I don't know if they're right for me. :P Tiny magazne capacity and it's basically a point-n'-shoot configuration. I'd like to get a decent 870 or Mossy 500 with a 5-round tube and get the barrel flush with that. O: Then maybe give it an adjustable stock of some kind.

tachi
01-05-2015, 02:34 AM
I'm more of the feeling that tube-mag shotguns need all the capacity they can reasonable gey. A Saiga/Vepr 12 would be the ideal SBS, a SBS 870/500 strikes me more as a specialty-use shotgun, for door breaching or beanbag rounds.

Rukh Whitefang
01-12-2015, 12:43 AM
Wait, SBRs are legal in MI now? Thats awesome to hear. And I just realized that MI classifies anything under 26" a pistol O.o That means I could by law CC say a STG-556.

tachi
01-12-2015, 02:45 AM
Wait, SBRs are legal in MI now? Thats awesome to hear. And I just realized that MI classifies anything under 26" a pistol O.o That means I could by law CC say a STG-556.

You /could/, but its much more useful for being able to keep something rifle-caliber in your car, loaded and ready to go.

Rukh Whitefang
01-12-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm actively looking at pistol carbines atm, preferably one of the same caliber as my Springfield xd 40. And I can't believe im writing this, but I am liking the High Point carbines. Nothing fancy, kinda ugly, but its a no nonsense carbine. Its made in the U.S with a lifetime warranty and they are cheap.

tachi
01-13-2015, 12:45 AM
I'm actively looking at pistol carbines atm, preferably one of the same caliber as my Springfield xd 40. And I can't believe im writing this, but I am liking the High Point carbines. Nothing fancy, kinda ugly, but its a no nonsense carbine. Its made in the U.S with a lifetime warranty and they are cheap.

My issue with them are the magazines. No reliable high-caps that won't void that warranty. Kinda why I like the Mech-Tech glock upper. Even can get a very politically-incorrect collapsible wire stock for an extra dash of subgun feel and it works on any fullsize or compact glock frame. The downside is one has to first...[shudders] own a Glock first. ;)

Rukh Whitefang
01-13-2015, 01:52 AM
My issue with them are the magazines. No reliable high-caps that won't void that warranty. Kinda why I like the Mech-Tech glock upper. Even can get a very politically-incorrect collapsible wire stock for an extra dash of subgun feel and it works on any fullsize or compact glock frame. The downside is one has to first...[shudders] own a Glock first. ;)

Yeah, I noticed the mags were one size only. But the mags are cheap to buy so thats a slight compensation. The carbine I am looking at comes with 2 mags and a vertical foregrip. Plus I can put any any number of scopes on the rail. I'm gonna go look at one this weekend. If I get it I'll just have to learn to cycle clips really fast. :)

tachi
03-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Any gun plans for 2015? As soon as my car is squared away I want to get a CPX2, although with the video MAC just posted about that super-spicy 380 ammo, I think a Bersa Thunder Plus might be a viable alternative.

Jim
03-23-2015, 01:49 AM
I know I don't NEED the Glock 43... but would you just look at HOW CUTE it is. ;w;