PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Tablets

ShadWolf
01-24-2014, 03:21 PM
So it just got me wondering… What kind of Wacom tablet do you have/use if you have one?

I currently have and use Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch PTH-451/K, its pretty nice tablet and I can feel that control when I'm drawing as if I were drawing on paper. My previous tablet I used before was Wacom Bamboo Fun CTE-450/w, and moving up to this other tablet from Bamboo, it just feels more natural to draw with. :3

**EDIT: Could one of the mods please correct the title to "Wacom Tablets", stupid glitch made me post this topic before I typed the topic title =A=

Runefox
01-24-2014, 03:31 PM
I've got an Intuos 4 Small, which I haven't really used much if I'm honest...

Rory
01-24-2014, 03:39 PM
My first tablet was an older Wacom CTE-440, and then this past summer I was gifted a Bamboo CTH-470 which really hasn't seen much use. I've gotten so used to coloring and editing with my Razer mouse that it's harder and slower to use my tablet. :/ If I ever really get into the actual drawing part of things, I'm sure it'll see a lot more use.

chocomage
01-24-2014, 03:41 PM
I currently have and use Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch PTH-451/K

I got that same tablet. I probably shouldn't have got that one for learning but oh well. I usually end up using the mouse to fine tune the drawings I do.

Toshabi
01-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Cintiq 12wx

ShadWolf
01-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Drawing with mouse is hard, I've been there, and its no fun and takes forever to do! D:

But lucky for me I started out with something small and got BambooFun as my first tablet, which has helped me get better at drawing with a tablet over time a bit before deciding I needed an upgrade to something a little more better.

Tiger
01-24-2014, 04:12 PM
(thread title changed :D )

I have a Wacom Intuos 3 6x8. I used to have a 4x5 but it suffered from a lot of wear-and-tear(especially the pen pad part itself) so I upgraded to my 6x8, which I've had for four or five years now. It's pretty fantastic, it even survived a mass spill of Gatorade perfectly fine.

Vae
01-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Wacom MTE-450a.

Got it about 5 years ago as a gift, and it's still holding up pretty well.

Wrobel
01-24-2014, 05:00 PM
I got an Intuos5 Touch Medium, woo clearance sales! Loving it so far even though I haven't gotten to play with all the functions too much. Feels nice and has all the drawing space i could need atm.

Kyon
01-24-2014, 05:39 PM
I've seen them, but not yet acquired one, I'm planning of getting one soon, I'm planning on buying the Intuos Manga, which I'm not sure is the full title.

Greg
01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
I got my fiancée a Bamboo Pen and Touch in '11 and last year I got her an Intuos Pen and Touch. Going to upgrade her to a Cintiq at some point, because those things are awesome.

Socks the Fox
01-24-2014, 06:12 PM
I have one of the old Bamboo tablets, I remember choosing it since it had almost exactly the same aspect ratio as my laptop's screen and also didn't cost a billion dollars.

I'm now considering getting a screen and making a kind of FrankenTiq with it... the iPad Retina screen uses a standard protocol and fits just about perfectly...

autogatos
01-24-2014, 06:19 PM
I've used a number of Wacoms over the years at work and at home (mostly Intuos) and finally upgraded to a Cintiq 24HD which is seriously the best art-related purchase I have ever made. It feels so much more natural to draw on and makes inking digitally a lot easier since I'm no longer struggling with the hand-eye coordination issues that come with screenless tablets.

I also have a Surface Pro which uses Wacom tech, It's not as easy to use as the Cintiq but makes a nice digital sketchbook if I need to work on small things away from home.

MadMeeper
01-24-2014, 06:47 PM
I've got an Intuos 4 Medium atm, but I'm about to buy a 13HD Cintiq! :D I'm sooooooo excited man, I've had my eye on cintiq for at least 6 years now and I finally have the money to put toward one.

Willow
01-24-2014, 06:56 PM
I used to have a Bamboo Pen and Touch. Had it for about 3 years and was devastated when it stopped working properly. Partly because it was a birthday present and also because it meant I'd have to buy another one of course.

Right now I have a Huion H58L and it's a really nice substitute for the Wacom tablets.

Though some day I'd like to get one of the Intuos tablets or even a Cintiq because I hear those ones are pretty nice too.

ShadWolf
01-24-2014, 07:14 PM
People are always saying Cintiques are awesome, while there are others who say its not, and doesn't exactly help you improve how you draw.

I kinda have to agree with some of these people from whenever I've drawn on paper or drawing on my 3DS, it doesn't make someone draw any better than they already can. x3
Although how nice it may be to have one, I'd only seeing it being great if you are coloring or something, than the actual drawing process. -- but you everyone's opinions on them are different ^^

autogatos
01-24-2014, 07:30 PM
People are always saying Cintiques are awesome, while there are others who say its not, and doesn't exactly help you improve how you draw.

I kinda have to agree with some of these people from whenever I've drawn on paper or drawing on my 3DS, it doesn't make someone draw any better than they already can. x3
Although how nice it may be to have one, I'd only seeing it being great if you are coloring or something, than the actual drawing process. -- but you everyone's opinions on them are different ^^
Well, no of course it's not going to make you magically draw better. ;) The tools never make the artist. The reason I love mine is because I work primarily digitally, and I find drawing on an screenless tablet (like an Intuos) to be more difficult than drawing on paper because there's a bit of a disconnect there. With paper and pencil, you're literally positioning your drawing tools/hand where you want to draw, whereas with an Intuos, that's being simulated. Cintiqs and other tablets with screens just make the drawing process feel more like natural real-media drawing.

Stuff like coloring I find isn't actually an issue for me at all with an Intuos. It's sketching and inking digitally where I find the Cintiq to really help. With my Intuos, I'd find myself having to re-do the same ink line over and over again because the angle of my stroke was slightly off, but with the Cintiq I can literally see where my hand is going so it's much easier, more like inking on paper.

Vae
01-24-2014, 07:37 PM

It's a pretty obvious given that it won't improve how you normally draw on a piece of paper or such. Tablets don't have needles that spawn and inject your brain with "Art Enchancer CX3". You can only draw within your limits at any given time.

But the tools you're using can make a hell of a difference as to what you can do within your limits.

I used to use the computer mouse to draw before I got a tablet, and the sweeping, dragging motion of using a mouse led me to drawing more elongated, inconsistent, less-detailed work. My coloring was... okay, most of the time, but my anatomy and lineart were hit the hardest. I had issues with this in my traditional media as well (which was just my style at the time), but not nearly to the degree that it came out in digitally-drawn pieces.

Getting a tablet helped that immensely. Suddenly, I was drawing sturdier bodies, better linearts, more details.

There is a large amount of difference in control between a tiny little stylus nib that relies on your fingers and wrist movements (which are hard-coded to be very articulate through our evolution as humans), and making large, flat dragging movements with something about the size of a digital camera.

Tablets won't teach you things you don't already know, but they can open up that path to improvement in a much more natural-feeling way, and facilitate artistic growth far easier.

Sonata
01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
the tablet I use is a wacom bamboo. works just fine on desktop. but not on my mac. oh joy.

Ratte
01-24-2014, 09:24 PM
I have both a Wacom Intuos4 XL and a Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Medium. Man, what a mouthful.

I used to use my Intuos a lot, but since I move twice a year hulking that massive piece of plastic was just too cumbersome, so I got the Bamboo Fun as a gift since it was cheap at the time (factory refurbished older model from 2011). I like it a lot but the cord is /really/ damaged by the body so I have a cast of scotch tape over it. ]:

piñardilla
01-24-2014, 09:51 PM
My Wacom isn't a Wacom. Monoprice 10 x 6.25" 4000 LPS (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101&p_id=10594&seq=1&format=2).

FlynnCoyote
01-25-2014, 05:45 AM
A Bamboo CTH-470. I love it. So simple to use and any glitches that crop up are easy to fix. :cool:

QT Melon
01-25-2014, 10:45 AM
I have owned the first intuos tablet, 2nd intuos tablet. I still own the intuos3 and use it for beta testing.

I own an intuos 4 large that usually sits at my desktop.
I own an intuos 5 touch which is usually used for travel with my laptop

I also own an Cintiq 13HD I love this thing because it doesn't have the problems the 12wx has and is very light. It doesn't get hot. There are some things I don't like about it but it's mostly to do with the cables.

I am planning on getting a larger cintiq for my desktop, but they are rather heavy, unlike the Cintiq 13HD where I can even work in my lap.

I also have a slate (tablet) PC that uses Wacom drivers.

Here are photos of a Cintiq and Intuos 5 medium side by side

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8c238c39be35674e74d67fd43253edab/tumblr_mpw35iHHZV1rtkyl9o2_500.jpg

Cintiq by itself with the pen it comes with (I love the style of this pen) and the older Wacom pens that came with the intuos 4 and 5

http://31.media.tumblr.com/51cf5222c85da2ad21af3b4cc465bf2e/tumblr_mpw35iHHZV1rtkyl9o4_500.jpg

http://qtmelon.tumblr.com/post/55359839230/my-birthday-present-arrived-early-3-i-took-a

Here is the Intuos 4 large with my 2 monitors

http://24.media.tumblr.com/4b619695b82ce111c43a4ae94fd28f53/tumblr_mlm4v3Po4m1rtkyl9o2_r1_500.jpg

Bri Mercedes
01-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Medium Intuos 4, I've had it for about 4 years and it still works great (although the surface has worn from heavy use).

I want to upgrade to an on-screen tablet, maybe a Yiynova.

@QT Melon: Nice! I want a dual-monitor setup so baaaaad

QT Melon
01-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Medium Intuos 4, I've had it for about 4 years and it still works great (although the surface has worn from heavy use).

I want to upgrade to an on-screen tablet, maybe a Yiynova.

You can just order a new surface. It's just if you want to, since many have complained about nib wear.

Hendikins
01-26-2014, 12:52 AM
So it just got me wondering… What kind of Wacom tablet do you have/use if you have one?

I've got a PTH651. I use it for photo touch ups and handwriting from time to time, and sadly all too often just as a great big trackpad for my desktop PC (funnily enough, I won't even use a trackpad on my laptop - trackpoint all the way!).

TealMoon
01-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Bamboo Splash. Which has a messed up cord because I dropped it. :I

Ratte
01-26-2014, 02:35 AM
I'd really like to get a Cintiq someday if I ever win the lottery or something. It'd be nice to have the image right in front of you while you make it, plus then I wouldn't have to sit hunched over my lap all the time.

Gamedog
01-26-2014, 05:18 AM
I use my good ol' Baby's First Tablet, my Wacom Bamboo Fun.
Still works well after all these years... though if I ever win the lottery, I'm jumping straight to a Cintiq.

Charrio
01-26-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm stuck using an old WACOM Graphire, its ancient but still works

Autumnstorm
01-26-2014, 07:28 AM
I'm also using a Bamboo Fun when I do digital things, it's been a decent starter tablet so far.

Gamedog
01-26-2014, 07:32 AM
I'd really like to get a Cintiq someday if I ever win the lottery or something. It'd be nice to have the image right in front of you while you make it, plus then I wouldn't have to sit hunched over my lap all the time.

Depending on where you sit where you draw, I've found that a thick pillow or two in my lap with crossed legs does wonders on my back while working on digital art.
I could never ever get the hang of drawing with the tablet flat on the desk.

Jaxinc
01-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Intuos3 6x8/Medium

Ratte
01-28-2014, 04:19 AM
Depending on where you sit where you draw, I've found that a thick pillow or two in my lap with crossed legs does wonders on my back while working on digital art.
I could never ever get the hang of drawing with the tablet flat on the desk.

I sit on my shitty hospital cot dorm bed and have my tablet on my lap. Since I use a laptop I don't like using desks, it makes the keyboard too high and the screen too low. If I try putting my tablet on a surface, like a table, I get some really weird-looking shit.

I'm also not very tall so there's that too.

Nightpaws
01-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Intuos 4 medium, it's a handy wee thing and works pretty well with my giant hands :P

DarkShadow777
01-30-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm pretty happy with my Bamboo Capture tablet (CTH-470L), has size enough to draw, but is portable enough to move around my house easily (I use it with my laptop). I'm in love with it :3

InvisibleFriend
02-01-2014, 11:56 PM
I started with the first intuos, then went to a Intuos3 6x8 for a long time.

After years of drooling, I finally saved up for a Cintiq 24HD. I love it, but I'm still getting used to it. I have issues with getting accurate colors on it and using the ExpressKeys since keyboard access isn't so convenient anymore. Also there's a serious lack of desk space since this monster took over.

Hendikins
02-02-2014, 12:25 AM
After years of drooling, I finally saved up for a Cintiq 24HD. I love it, but I'm still getting used to it. I have issues with getting accurate colors on it

I'm gathering that particular device is treated as a display with a digitiser attached by the operating system? If so, you should be able to calibrate it like any other display.

For that you'll want a colour measuring instrument and software to generate an ICC profile for each display. You then need to configure your operating system to use the generated profiles.

I use a Datacolor Spyder 3 with a front end for Argyll CMS to handle display calibration, although there are other instuments available for the task and they generally include software for Windows and MacOS X.

cab0rod
02-16-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm still using my old Wacom White for 7 years now. I really love it, but it's aging really bad :P I'd like to buy one, especially for better drivers, because right now it's a guess game to install the proper ones. The latest version didn't work and I had to install previous versions until I made it work. Now I have a post it under it to remember the installer I have to download everytime I format my PC.

QT Melon
02-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Yes I believe the 24HD is weighing in at 60 lbs? I used to use a Spyder, but after talking with other artists going to be using Xrite. Especially since the Spyder even with updates is not properly calibrating my multiple monitors and refuses to read my IPS led monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007V9N5R8?cache=beb0741770d1cab2f7bb4d1a71a0534e&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70#ref=mp_s_a_1_11&qid=1392676155&sr=8-11

Hendikins
02-18-2014, 12:55 AM
The Spyder even with updates is not properly calibrating my multiple monitors and refuses to read my IPS led monitor.

Odd. I've used mine with matte IPS, matte TN, glossy IPS and glossy TN panels with no dramas. My desktop uses matte TN + glossy IPS, and I'm temporarily using a glossy TN panel in a laptop that normally uses matte IPS (which is driving me nucking futs because it's a terrible panel and required calibration to be halfway usable).

Not sure if the vendor's software is garbage or the Spyder 3 is simply a more cooperative instrument than the 2 or 4. Have you been using the vendor supplied software or something else? dispcalGUI (http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/) and the back end it uses (Argyll CMS (http://argyllcms.com/)) are both cross-platform and may be a workable alternative.

QT Melon
02-18-2014, 01:59 AM
I was using a Spyder 3. It's not compatible with my LED monitors. I haven't been happy with the results since I had it which is why I'm going to go with Xrite

FriskyWoods
02-19-2014, 07:28 PM
That reminds me! I got a Wacom Bamboo Fun on eBay for a flippin' buck. There's no pen included, but the stylus from my Graphire 3 will do quite nicely as a replacement. Moo hoo ha ha haa!

child
02-23-2014, 03:32 PM
I own the Wacom Bamboo, CTH-670
I used to use the genius tablet though ^^

I really want one of those that have the display right on them ;__;
Way out of my price range though u__u
Maybe when I win the lottery X'D

jerry
02-23-2014, 06:43 PM
I have a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet bought a while back. Sketching with this thing absolutely doesn't work for me. But I guess it'll be useful for colouring.

I recently got a used Lenovo Thinkpad X61 tablet, love that thing! Since it had a Wacom digitizer, it actually has quite acceptable performances for art! I just need to figure out why pressure sensitivity doesn't work... ;__;

QT Melon
02-23-2014, 08:23 PM
I recently got a used Lenovo Thinkpad X61 tablet, love that thing! Since it had a Wacom digitizer, it actually has quite acceptable performances for art! I just need to figure out why pressure sensitivity doesn't work... ;__;

Did you install the driver for it? http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS004071

jerry
02-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Did you install the driver for it? http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS004071

It went with a fresh install of Vista. Drivers are supposedly pre-installed, but it says that no drivers are found when I click on the icon. I tried reinstalling the drivers, and the tablet part would just not work at all anymore. Eventually it started working again, but still no pressure sensitivity. And clicking on the driver's icon does absolutely nothing now. No error message...

Otherwise the tablet screen works just fine. BTW the driver in your link seems to be for Thinkpad W700s, would it still work on an x61?

QT Melon
02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Technically they should all be Penabled technology, but this might have a better solution

http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver

Nightpaws
02-23-2014, 09:17 PM
I ran the disk install that came with mine anyway as the windows drivers are almost always decades out of date. The discs usually aren't much better but at least tend to come with auto-update utilities.

spacerogue
02-27-2014, 07:48 AM
I started out with a Wacom Intuos 1 my parents managed to took a hold of in a sales fair

yeah this old thing
http://mattbangophotography.com/temp/for_sale/wacom-intuos2.jpg

I must have used it for 12 years before upgrading, now I'm using an Intuos 4.
Much better, much bigger, love the thing to death the only downside is sheet and nib wear.
in those 10+ years I only had to replace 1 nib, Intuos 4 on the other hand, at least 1 a month per nib and 1 sheet every 6 months.
This all depends on usage tho, mine gets used pretty much every day.

Don't know about updating to I5, I'm no fan of touch tools, I don't even use the side buttons of any tablet and I'd rather have one without all that jazz, but the ones without them are not of size I'd even want to go to.

JRWenzel
02-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Don't know about updating to I5, I'm no fan of touch tools, I don't even use the side buttons of any tablet and I'd rather have one without all that jazz, but the ones without them are not of size I'd even want to go to.

I do not want to interact with my workstation like it was a smartphone . . . I do use the side controls as well as additional input devices to enhance my work flow though.

QT Melon
02-27-2014, 04:38 PM
I actually wish my cintiq had touch since I am used to using those gestures on a screen.

Also a majority of keyboard shortcuts are to be used with your left hand. For someone drawing with their right hand it is less of an issue, but I draw with my left. I find it disruptive to use the keyboard shortcuts and program them into my tablet instead.

JRWenzel
02-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Also a majority of keyboard shortcuts are to be used with your left hand. For someone drawing with their right hand it is less of an issue, but I draw with my left. I find it disruptive to use the keyboard shortcuts and program them into my tablet instead.

Ever try a programmable keypad? You place it where you want, it's not right/left hand specific and and most are highly customizable. (the X-keys XK-24 USB Keypad is a good basic model).

QT Melon
03-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Ever try a programmable keypad? You place it where you want, it's not right/left hand specific and and most are highly customizable. (the X-keys XK-24 USB Keypad is a good basic model).

Why would I do that when I have express keys? That seems counter productive to why I like the product line.

JRWenzel
03-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Why would I do that when I have express keys? That seems counter productive to why I like the product line.
It would be to supplement the functionality of the interface not supplant the express keys.

QT Melon
03-02-2014, 08:31 PM
The express keys are a solution to me. Given that I don't have to touch a keyboard and can add in more commands especially since your conversation was about avoiding the express keys on something that costs so much. I would not find it wise to spend additional money on something that you're avoiding but use it to your advantage. I also stated why as a person who uses the left hand that this is a much more ideal solution.

If I want more subcommands, I use the Radial menu - http://blogs.wacom.com/2013/05/16/using-a-photoshop-radial-menu/

All the ones I use the most are on my express keys and dual switch, especially on the fly brush sizing. http://qtmelon.tumblr.com/post/38021037926/here-are-my-settings-for-corel-painter-12-i-will and http://qtmelon.tumblr.com/post/26799327850/i-did-this-for-ariakitty-these-are-some-general

I usually get rid of Precision mode since I don't need it and substitute it for Radial menu. Haven't needed to reach the keyboard for much in years, smoother experience.

JRWenzel
03-05-2014, 04:34 AM
The express keys are a solution to me. Given that I don't have to touch a keyboard and can add in more commands especially since your conversation was about avoiding the express keys on something that costs so much. I would not find it wise to spend additional money on something that you're avoiding but use it to your advantage. I also stated why as a person who uses the left hand that this is a much more ideal solution.

If I want more subcommands, I use the Radial menu - http://blogs.wacom.com/2013/05/16/using-a-photoshop-radial-menu/

All the ones I use the most are on my express keys and dual switch, especially on the fly brush sizing. http://qtmelon.tumblr.com/post/38021037926/here-are-my-settings-for-corel-painter-12-i-will and http://qtmelon.tumblr.com/post/26799327850/i-did-this-for-ariakitty-these-are-some-general

I usually get rid of Precision mode since I don't need it and substitute it for Radial menu. Haven't needed to reach the keyboard for much in years, smoother experience.

I guess I'm just old-school . . . I like buttons, t-bars, knobs, sliders, jog-shuttles and joysticks. in addition to and alongside my tablet and it's various pointing devices. *shrug*

t_iii
04-17-2014, 11:51 AM
I use a Cintiq 12WX, bought it when I graduated from university as my previous tablets were all £100-ish things that were okay but the pens could be pretty fragile.

If I ever had enough cash I'd definitely consider upgrading to a 13HD or one of the larger HD/touch models. Since I work from a desktop machine I don't really have any need for portability but it would be nice to be able to have my Cintiq share the same resolution as my main monitor display.

Art Vulpine
04-18-2014, 11:13 AM
I use a Wacom Bamboo Create. Unfortunately Wcom doesn't make the Create, only a general Bamboo. It does well as a tablet, the only drawback being is its not wireless.

WolvenSister
04-18-2014, 03:07 PM
I have a Wacom Intuos5 Large. Love it. Saved several paychecks to get it and I've been pleased with it ever since :)

crazyluna
05-02-2014, 01:12 PM
I have a Intous 5 medium tablet as my main tablet and I have a few back up bamboo tablets of different models.

Myst
05-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Still using an old Bamboo FUN, the small silver model. The grip has completely worn off on the pen, the eraser end no longer works, and I'm on my final nib… but I still love it.

Fiz
05-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Started off with a small Graphire 2 when I was about...13 I think. Saved up and bought it for myself. Then I got an 8x6 Graphire 4 for my birthday. Not sure which, I think maybe 17th? The Graphire 2 I had was still working but I wanted an upgrade, ended up giving the old tablet away to spazkid since he didn't have a tablet at the time.

Graphire 4 still works excellently, though I had to replace the pen since the rubber grip had fallen apart off of it and made it too painful to hold without it. Replaced it with a bamboo pen.

I was thinking of getting an Intuos at some point (I guess now an Intuos Pro or an older model, since Intuos 5 merged with the bamboo tablets), but I might end up trying a monoprice tablet since I've heard good things about them. I'd also feel kind of weird/bad for getting a fairly expensive tablet since the kind of stuff I draw doesn't feel like it'd be worth the price.

Tiido
05-06-2014, 06:20 PM
What happens when you use a different model pen (but still Wacom) ? Is there any loss or gain of functionality ? Or no operation ? Or all ?

Fiz
05-06-2014, 06:54 PM
What happens when you use a different model pen (but still Wacom) ? Is there any loss or gain of functionality ? Or no operation ? Or all ?

I'm figuring it depends on the model? I just know bamboo pens worked on the graphire 4 but I have no idea of anything else.

It was the same functionality when I used a different pen at least.

Tiido
05-06-2014, 07:11 PM
I have read that it should work.
Why I asked is because I will buy a Toshiba Tecra M4 or Lenovo Thinkpad X60 or X61 tablet/laptop combo and lot of them are missing pens. They are all using Wacom tech. I guess I'll find it out in person, I have one iffy Intuos pen that I can try to use. If that one doesn't work I'll look for original pen.
The pens all seem to be pretty expensive...