PDA

View Full Version : Soundtracks!

Greykitty
01-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Who else loves them and who are some of your favorite composers? :P What are some of your favorite soundtracks?
Here are some of my favorite composers.

Brian Tyler
Jerry Goldsmith
Hans Zimmer
Randy Edelman
Henry Jackman
Patrick Doyle
Steve Jablonsky
Howard Shore
Harry Gregson-Williams
James Horner
Trevor Rabin
David Arnold

I don't think I'll even attempt to list my favorite soundtracks cause the list would be too long. XD

Ruggy
01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
I once blew out my dad's speaker system with the soundtrack to Gladiator. >.>

Tiger
01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Do movie and video game soundtracks count? For movie soundtracks I like "Frozen" a looot, and "Tangled" was really good. And for games, I love pretty much every n64 game soundtrack, they are all pretty awesome (especially Kirby64 and StarFox64).

Rory
01-24-2014, 12:58 PM
As far as classical composers go, Itzhak Perlman is the only person I actually listen to regularly on my playlists. Reminds me... some friends were just casually chilling out at a suite party to my playlists, and then the theme from Schindler's List came on (yay random play). Considering how large the population of Jews at the school, well.. I got some serious looks. xD

Concerning movies, I really liked the soundtrack for the first Matrix.

Concerning shows/anime, the soundtrack to Samurai Champloo is ridiculously good and stands alone. So much Nujabes.

If we're talking about VGM soundtracks, well.. I don't have enough space in this thread to discuss that. I'll just leave it at the Megaman soundtracks throughout the years were unbelievably inspiring to me.

Antronach
01-24-2014, 02:25 PM
I don't really have much in the way of movie soundtracks, but I do have a few video game ones. Half of them are sonic though so lol.

Sonata
01-24-2014, 02:37 PM
oh hey heeeey let me tell you about soundtracks and composers okay

Eric Whitacre is my favorite composer up to date. His works are amazing and unique, plus he is a master at polyphony. Polyphony really is the signature of his music.

QT Melon
01-24-2014, 03:10 PM
No love for Ramin Djawadi?

s7L2PVdrb_8

Sammacha
01-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Does anyone else listen to Yanni?
JfSSQ3Vejao

BlissfulOblivion
01-24-2014, 05:43 PM
-Yann Tiersen because of Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amelie) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciqf8yMVzAk)
-Bruno Coulais because of Les Choristes (The Chorus) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxVR3CIUpzM&list=PL3QK-FeOu2cezJ8WSxYVHEkIGuO7bwJ6J)
-Koji Kondo because of everything from LoZ

I think that's it. :s

Charrio
01-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Conan the Barbarian (80s one)
Little Shop of Horrors
Predator
Aliens
The Last Unicorn
Army of Darkness
Beetlejuice

Just to name a few

Batty Krueger
01-24-2014, 06:03 PM
I love the fear and loathing in las vegas soundtrack

Tycho
01-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Jeremy Soule, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoko Shimamura and Nobuo Uematsu all come to mind as brilliant composers (they deal more with video games, though - I really don't watch much TV/movie stuff). Yasunori Mitsuda is probably best known for his work on the Chrono Trigger soundtrack. Nobuo Uematsu has done tons of work for Square over the years, from Final Fantasy to a little bit of Chrono Trigger and some of Kingdom Hearts' music. Yoko Shimamura has done a lot of music for Kingdom Hearts. Jeremy Soule has done a LOT of stuff, from the RTS Total Annihilation to Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, and Guild Wars.

Greykitty
01-24-2014, 06:48 PM
No love for Ramin Djawadi?

s7L2PVdrb_8

Yes He is quite awesome too. :D I have several scores by him.

Does anyone else listen to Yanni?
JfSSQ3Vejao

I don't but I really enjoyed that one. I'll have to look up some more of his stuff.

QT Melon
01-24-2014, 07:09 PM
I am also a big Susumu Hirasawa fan

gV26zIE0130

Saga
01-24-2014, 07:15 PM
I know this is from the series everyone loves to hate, but the soundtrack for this game was just omegawd

ToXWuAULsf0
This particular version of the normal theme comes out after level 100 in zombies, and when playing the campaign on veteran.

Also, this makes me moist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcgJnbCul-0
ohohoh and last edit I promise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pul2Z-4b9E

Carnau
01-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Okami soundtrack is wonderful in my opinion. Even better when you listen to the piano versions of the songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEdlreq7sYs

Socks the Fox
01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
As far as video game soundtracks, I've got Halo 1, 2v1, 2v2 & 3. I've got the Diablo music (<3 Tristram from d2), and TES:M,O,&S. I also managed to convert Age of Wonders 1's, and for some reason all of the Merry-go-round music from RCT1. Finally, of the noteworthy music I have the absolutely beautiful Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader soundtracks, both awesomely available for free at http://stronghold.heavengames.com (downloads, misc files, sort by rating, all the ones uploaded by the composer Robert Euvino).

For movie soundtracks, I actually don't have nearly as much, the only super noteworthy thing is the FF7AC soundtrack.

However, the big thing in my playlist, I am just a few albums away from having all of the Homestuck music. All of it. There's some really awesome stuff, with a wide range of emotions from silly to serious to sad to happy.

SirCoffeecup
01-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Eric Serra's work with the Fifth Element's OST is astonishong.
That movie's music keeps dragging me back to the screen without a fail.
Yann tiersen is good too. I know how to play one of Amelie's songs on piano and I can play it left hand right hand, just not combined

BlissfulOblivion
01-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Eric Serra's work with the Fifth Element's OST is astonishong.
That movie's music keeps dragging me back to the screen without a fail.
Yann tiersen is good too. I know how to play one of Amelie's songs on piano and I can play it left hand right hand, just not combined

La Valse D'amelie? I just printed it out ; v ; It's so much fun! I can sortakinda play it. Just not at full speed ;c And I retake a lot

SirCoffeecup
01-25-2014, 08:45 PM
La Valse D'amelie? I just printed it out ; v ; It's so much fun! I can sortakinda play it. Just not at full speed ;c And I retake a lot
Ah the one I know is the Comptine D' un autre ete.
I cant play the fast bit around the one min mark though. Haven't even tried it yet. I always wanted to learn the previous parts played together.

BlissfulOblivion
01-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Ah the one I know is the Comptine D' un autre ete.
I cant play the fast bit around the one min mark though. Haven't even tried it yet. I always wanted to learn the previous parts played together.

Hmmm. I have not tried that one. Maybe I should. ;P
Yeah. Just take the hands one at a time and slowly. You'll get there! <:

DameGreyWulf
02-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Yuki Kajiura is really the only soundtrack composer I've paid any attention to, honestly.

Stush
02-02-2014, 09:45 AM
I looooove soundtracks, they're the majority of what I listen to! :D

My favourite is ace combat, I love all of those so much. Lately i've been listening to the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance soundtrack a lot, that thing is so rad! :D

QT Melon
02-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Pot
Fushia said that you'd be hot
Probably but prob'ly not
coffee made from coffee cream!

GusLypfx7OQ

ArcheKruz
02-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Chris Hülsbeck :
v-8tNEDVG8U

Ari Pulkkinen :
ntUDt9iBw3c

Red
02-02-2014, 05:00 PM
I looooove soundtracks, they're the majority of what I listen to! :D

My favourite is ace combat, I love all of those so much. Lately i've been listening to the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance soundtrack a lot, that thing is so rad! :D

Same here, and thanks to you I'm listening for the first time to Ace Combat soundtrack... I'm having eargasm after eargasm :D
ArcheKruz : I loooove Ari Pulkkinen. Trine 1 and 2 have some of the tracks I've most played in my life.

Also when I need to relax, the Katamari soundtracks are my go-to destination ^^

Nashida
02-02-2014, 05:55 PM
I've got a few I regularly listen to, mainly from Avatar, PotC, TLK, Balto, and Pitch Perfect, although I dunno if that last one counts much. I have a few videogame ones but it's mainly Zelda and Kingdom Hearts. And Final Fantasy VII.

AineCleine
02-03-2014, 02:32 AM
Since I love fighting games I really like listening to many of the OSTs. KOF arranged soundtrack pre-2001 are absolutely gorgeous. XIII has some great soundtrack too. I like listening to the soundtrack of Capcom titles in the 90´s. Some sweet stuff. Special mention for Skullgirls cause I don´t like how the game looks but the soundtrack is fantastic.

Stush
02-03-2014, 02:37 AM
Same here, and thanks to you I'm listening for the first time to Ace Combat soundtrack... I'm having eargasm after eargasm :D
ArcheKruz : I loooove Ari Pulkkinen. Trine 1 and 2 have some of the tracks I've most played in my life.

Also when I need to relax, the Katamari soundtracks are my go-to destination ^^

Aaaaa! I'm so glad you enjoy it. <3 There's such a range of music in them, you've got fast electronic stuff, orchestral stuff, electric guitars, choirs, singing. My favourite soundtrack is ace combat 5, but 6 has some really amazing songs, and the 3DS game is surprisingly good, sound-wise! :D

Lucy Bones
02-03-2014, 03:33 AM
Doom.
Doom 2.
Air Combat.
Killer Instinct.
Killer Instinct 3.
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Video game music heaven.

Shenzai
02-07-2014, 12:42 AM
Doom.
Doom 2.

THIS.

But I also like the soundtrack of Heretic and Jazz Jackrabbit. I also find Portal 2's quite awesome, and Okami's is great too.
Oh, and there's also the soundtrack from this old game called Timelapse: The Link to Atlantis... I find it really, really great! It's a game where you go through ancient civilizations, and all the music fits so perfectly!
So bad I could never find them to download... ;-;

Lucy Bones
02-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Also, did I forget to mention...

bgHikuxheek

Nightpaws
02-07-2014, 09:46 PM
I have to say that by far my favourite game soundtracks have to be those of Kingdom Hearts as they always fit perfectly with what's going on at the time and are massively enjoyable to listen to on their own too. A close second has to be that of the Burnout Dominator soundtrack. At no other time, than brutally murdering hundreds of people as you drive, is it acceptable to listen to 6 language variations of Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend :P

In terms of TV/Movie soundtracks I have to choose Doctor Who. There's no better soundtrack than that of the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra. I could listen to rock, pop, dance and trance all day any day but unwinding with Orchestral tunes is unbeatable :) (Sherlock gets 2nd place there :3)

BlissfulOblivion
02-12-2014, 01:08 AM
The epilogue song from A Tale Of Two Sisters

-2wfD10MT7E

edit
Actually the entire soundtrack from A Tale Of Two Sisters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBv18qaUmKg).
Creepy-ass fucking movie but some of the prettiest music ever.
end edit

Also the soundtracks from Wicked and Phantom of the Opera (assuming musicals count???)

edit
And the music from Les Choristes and the soundtrack from Amélie. :u I listen to lots of soundtracks...

SirCoffeecup
02-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I love Battlestar Galactica's OST.
McCreary makes some awesome drum compositions and I love the violin and other instruments in the back. Atmospheric and powerful.
I love rhytmic and ethnic stuff, so the war drums are just amazing.
d8CDqX85rm4

Kanagrooboy
02-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Lately I've really been getting into the soundtracks for Minecraft, composed by C418 and FEZ, by Disasterpeace. The music for both of these are just wonderfully atmospheric, and some are incredibly calming.
atgjKEgSqSU

KeWFzsqLsH0

And then this one tugs at my heartstrings a little~
TA-SGTmKnP0

Batty Krueger
02-12-2014, 06:04 PM
I love the Edward Scissorhands soundtrack, back when Danny Elfman was good.

Red
02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
The Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze soundtrack is A-mazing. David Wise truly did wonderful things with it, despite falling into the 50/50 remix/new stuff trap. Can't get enough listening to it (in-game, since they haven't been put online as of now)...

Chuck
11-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Favorite composers:
>Jerry Goldsmith
>John Williams
>James Horner
>Hans Zimmer
>Alan Sylvestri

Favorite Soundtracks:
>Back To The Future
>the Star Wars films
>Thunderbirds
>Tron
>The Shadow
>The Last Starfighter

rbartrop
11-19-2017, 07:12 PM
I favourite would probably have to be the Soundtrack to The Saint movie. A so-so film, but the soundtrack is a great collection of '90s sounds.

Not so great movies with great soundtracks could be a topin all in itself. THe Lost in Space movie soundtrack springs to mind.