PDA

View Full Version : Job Hunting?

Wuvvums
08-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I was curious how other people are doing with job hunting if they're looking for a job. I heard job hunting is a job in and of itself, and I could see why. I decided to step it up and today I applied for 26 jobs and it took about 6-7 hours to do. I'm really hoping it pays off.

I also don't like online/computerized job applications if only because of how tedious the questionnaires are. There was one of them that was 12 pages long, and had about 10-15 questions per page, and a lot of them were very redundant or asked something that was just about the same.

So how's job hunting going on your guy's part?

RX-149Dragonite
08-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Applied to a few university work-study jobs.

Nothing back yet.

Ibuuyk
08-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Ill be eligible for the class I want to study in 2014, so meanwhile I'm on social welfare. I already think I get too much monies (holy shit 934$/month), so I don't need a job. But if I did, I could just go anywhere and get a job right away.

Every single place is practically trying to BUY workers, the complete opposite of the economic situation in the US.

Kasune
08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
I've been job hunting since late 2009 when I left high school.
Not a single callback. I've done every method I can and taken the advice and critique of my parents and elders. I don't know how my friends have jobs and I don't. D:

Ibuuyk
08-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I've been job hunting since late 2009 when I left high school.
Not a single callback. I've done every method I can and taken the advice and critique of my parents and elders. I don't know how my friends have jobs and I don't. D:

Move to Quebec, the jobs will be hunting for YOU.

Wuvvums
08-10-2012, 09:14 PM
I supposedly heard some of it is having the right connections which I have a few now. Hopefully that helps.

Good luck! D:

Clover-chan
08-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I was curious how other people are doing with job hunting if they're looking for a job. I heard job hunting is a job in and of itself, and I could see why. I decided to step it up and today I applied for 26 jobs and it took about 6-7 hours to do. I'm really hoping it pays off.

I also don't like online/computerized job applications if only because of how tedious the questionnaires are. There was one of them that was 12 pages long, and had about 10-15 questions per page, and a lot of them were very redundant or asked something that was just about the same.

Was it Michael's with that horribly long questionnaire? They're really awful ;;

I've been trying to get a job, but I'm also trying to get my etsy shop off the ground. It seems to be working well enough, I just got a commission for some pony custom keychains so that's an extra $30 to go to more shop stuff, but other than that I haven't been able to get anywhere unless I had a friend working there already. 8(

Wuvvums
08-10-2012, 11:36 PM
That's how I got my first job too. I heard that's how you get more jobs, but I can at least write down some things on my resume like college.

Lee
08-11-2012, 12:59 AM
I just finished the last day of my job yesterday, hahah... But I have a new job at school already, writing comics for the newspaper...

As for a real job, I uh... Hope I can get an internship first before that. D8

Matt
08-11-2012, 02:06 AM
I just finished the last day of my job yesterday, hahah... But I have a new job at school already, writing comics for the newspaper...

As for a real job, I uh... Hope I can get an internship first before that. D8

I'm curious to see your comics. You should post them.

Ben
08-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Whenever I see people who live around here begging for a job, I always refer them to where I work as a canvasser. Out of the four people I've told to apply, only one actually did, and after she got recommended, she had to pick up extra classes and decline the offer. Hopefully at some point, I can get more people to work where I do, because we really do need more staff. The jobs are out there, it just depends on what you're willing to do (i.e. knocking on people's doors for four hours), and if you're any good at it.

Judicant
08-11-2012, 09:06 AM
If you just need a job with no particular constraints to pay or hours, I always tell people to look at grocery store because the jobs are such high turn-around that they're literally always hiring people.

Job I have now I got simply because I know the daughter of the owner. Networking hooray~

Wuvvums
08-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Whenever I see people who live around here begging for a job, I always refer them to where I work as a canvasser. Out of the four people I've told to apply, only one actually did, and after she got recommended, she had to pick up extra classes and decline the offer. Hopefully at some point, I can get more people to work where I do, because we really do need more staff. The jobs are out there, it just depends on what you're willing to do (i.e. knocking on people's doors for four hours), and if you're any good at it.

I think it depends on the area and who else is applying though. I mean, I've applied to jobs where I would be cleaning unheated bathrooms in a ski lodge in the middle of the winter and even they wouldn't get back to me on that position. The only jobs I'm not going for are the very obvious employment scams I've been getting since I signed up for monster.com.

Damian
08-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I've been job hunting for six months.

I must suck at hunting.

Tiger
08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Jobs are very difficult to get, and Michigan has some of the highest unemployment rates in the country. I was bummed when I had to leave my last job for medical reasons (I worked in a fitting room at a department store).

I did a lot of online apps, and although they were longer and annoying I felt like I'd have a better chance at a response with the online app.

Ratte
08-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Minot is damn near CRAWLING with jobs. Ever since the oil boom people have been leaving their mundane jobs to work the oil fields and whatnot. You can't spit without hitting a 'now hiring' sign there. Also, to be competitive, the wages are pretty decent since a lot of people keep leaving to get more for oil instead.

Ibuuyk
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Minot is damn near CRAWLING with jobs. Ever since the oil boom people have been leaving their mundane jobs to work the oil fields and whatnot. You can't spit without hitting a 'now hiring' sign there. Also, to be competitive, the wages are pretty decent since a lot of people keep leaving to get more for oil instead.

Sounds like here. Three gold mines opened up this year alone and every single kind of worker in mines are goddamn millionaires, so...

Jobs. Jobs errywhar. The bosses hunt you and try to snatch you from your current job with gifts, high wages, bribes and advantages and stuff.

Rakuen Growlithe
08-14-2012, 03:01 AM
I spent about a year looking for a job. Admittedly I was also a bit specific as in I was looking for a job in a specific field, not just any job. Mostly because I wanted to get into science and there isn't much benefit to your job prospects from being a waiter. You need to have experience in the field or higher qualifications. I got an interview for a decent job but they weren't too serious about hiring me because I wasn't as qualified as they wanted so it wasn't a surprise that I didn't get that. I eventually got a 3 month internship but it wasn't that great so when it ended instead of extending the contract I just went to do my MSc.

Fay V
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
I've never had too much trouble finding work. As a general rule I try to have at least two forms of taxable income, but it's all about who you know and where to look. I've been working at world market because they are always hiring. literally. groceries stores have the biggest turn around i've ever seen.
In the meantime i'm also a transcriber. Researchers don't want to take the time to do it so you can get paid 20-30 an hour if you know the right people.
I've been on a coyote research team where I had to organize who got the equipment and when they go out. The other half was just driving to the middle of nowhere and listening for coyotes while I played my DS.

If you are willing to put in the hours and do the work then it isn't too hard to find something. you may lose all your freetime but eh.

AtomiKamikaze
08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Still trying to land that job as a part-time security guard, but eh, I'm being too specific. Great job though, with the occassional adrenaline rush and more hours of not doing too much. :p

I do have a pseudo-job that brings some money in. Work the polls, it's 100$ for training and about 275-300$ each election you work. Good news is, working Election Day so I get bonus, bad news is it's Presidential Election and the place will be mob-rushed for 16 hours straight, and there's always that one tard that doesn't know how to work the scanners.

In the meantime, it's a great job to rack in an occassional hundred every month or so, so if you live in the states check the Board of Elections, the testing and training are so easy even a caveman can do it.

Haru Totetsu
10-03-2012, 11:25 AM
My luck is as strong as a toothpick...nothing so far...but I've not given up...even with my mental condition, slipping.

RX-149Dragonite
10-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I have a work-study job doing research with a professor.

Ghost
10-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I need a better job while in college, I'm grateful for the one I have now. But food service is absolute misery.

Magenta
10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Move to Quebec, the jobs will be hunting for YOU.

If you speak French!

Yeah, Ontario here and the market is really depressed. I've had quite a lot of
trouble finding a steady in-house job, though I've done a lot of contract work since.

On a total side note, I would love to go work in Montreal and live in Habitat X3

Bayley
10-04-2012, 03:44 AM
I work in food service and it's the worst! Graduated from college a few months ago, had a few interviews but haven't gotten anything yet. Just a matter of time if you really keep on looking. Just keep trying.

Wuvvums
10-05-2012, 03:40 PM
I got another interview today but so far no luck with the job hunt. The restaurants seem more likely to call me in for an interview, however.

yandere
10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I was job hunting for a long time there for a while. Then my mother quit her job and we had little income and I couldn't take on a load of commissions so I started applying everywhere I could. I finally got landed an interview. And wam bam I got a job. I'ts as a packer at a food processing plant . It hard work in 40 degrees. my whole body hurts. But It's full time , the benefits are great ( I mean really the insurance alone is worth the job but the benefits and discounts you can get are crazy. My pay is 8 something but if I don't call in and I'm not later it gets bumped up too 9 Theres bonuses out was zu as well. ) So far i really like it even though whole body hurts.

For people looking for job's I'd suggest looking outside the box .

Wuvvums
10-05-2012, 07:43 PM
But isn't your job working with boxes? C:

yandere
10-05-2012, 08:14 PM
But isn't your job working with boxes? C:

:,D

Rooc
10-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Both me, my bf, and my sister have been looking for jobs since the year before last. Me and my sister both got called in to Dairy Queen but she's the one who got the job, but now she's working for her bf's mother's store.
My bf put in more applications that me and my sister combined and only got one interview and was hired this year at Subway because we started frequenting there in the mornings before school and he got to know the manager (the manager now works in another Subway; she was real corrupt anyhow but that's another story).
Other than the DQ, I got called in at a little convenience store in town but didn't get hired because I was attending college (it'd be "too hard" to schedule around 2 days a week) and that they wanted an "older lady" (I'm 22 years old lol). Then I found out that they hired a kid from the high-school. Go figure : P

But college just started up last month so I've been focusing on that. I do take art commissions so that's kind of a job, I guess.

kaeko
10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
hunting for over a year, and nothing. small waitressing jobs, but the tips are lousy...and not worth the gas to get to work

- - - Updated - - -

hunting for over a year, and nothing. small waitressing jobs, but the tips are lousy...and not worth the gas to get to work

Wuvvums
10-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I got another interview on Thursday and got relatively quite a few since I started. I also went to a job fair and someone there told me to get back to them when I have 150 credit hours because then I'll qualify to become a CPA :O

(I am at 130 credit hours)

Monster
10-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Job hunting has been awful for me! About a year and a half ago I found my "dream job"( licensed body piercer) At first it was awesome. I made $100-500 a DAY and only worked 3 days a week. I bought a van, gps, had the money for gas, food, rent, fancy iPhone etc. But I realized after a while that the work environment was extremely negative and I don't approve of sexual harassment. I left despite the money. I was miserable.
I found a cleaning job which quickly ended when I was fired upon questioning my wages. I was being paid under minimum wage and I caught on fast. I took legal matter on this one.
So I took the first job that came my way. An overnight shift twice a week. It barely provides money and it's gross waking up for my 3am shifts. Ugh.
I'm still looking though. I've also been making a few bucks here and there on commissions.
I'm a bit distraught about my "dream job" being so bad. But I'm not giving up. I'd go insane being jobless.

Chip
10-29-2012, 11:52 AM
For anyone actively looking for a job, I've found that snagajob is a wonderful resource. I got so many more call-backs from employers when I applied through that than when I was actually going through corporate websites. :D

Takun
10-29-2012, 02:25 PM
I finally got my first job out of college and the best part is that the one I ended up getting I didn't even apply for. I put my resume on a bunch of sites, used LinkedIn, and all of that. Got a call up saying they liked my resume, applied, and beat out a bunch of people for the position.

serbus
10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I hate online only applications. It completely depersonalises the hiring process. I miss the days of paper resumes when you could actually make an impression on an owner.

Chip
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
I hate online only applications. It completely depersonalises the hiring process. I miss the days of paper resumes when you could actually make an impression on an owner.

I hear you. It's a lot harder to distinguish and give an impression of yourself within a sea of web applications. Very few places in my area even offer paper apps anymore, let alone actually pay attention to them.

serbus
10-30-2012, 01:38 AM
I think its bad from a hiring perspective as well. You can learn so much about a person when you get to actually talk about them. Sure they might have great qualifications, but that doesn't mean that they will work well on your team. Employers are so disconnected these days.

Stephen
10-30-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm job-hunting for a temporary Christmas job :) Something that's flexible enough not to interfere with university.

AtomiKamikaze
10-31-2012, 10:03 PM
Because the hurricane totally destroyed my family's nest-eggs and some cousins homes on the Jersey shore, I have to find a job asap to help them out. Finally getting off my lazy ass and I'll be going for a police-oriented job, hopefully, maybe because of the huge clean-up fiasco they're hiring some. Also because coming from a police family and making friends with em, always loved the police!

LoboSabio
11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I've been looking for a job since my internship ended in August. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am neither well qualified enough to pick up a job in my field or in the general sector. Rather makes me worry. Also doesn't help when the job you're applying for gets 175 applicants. Don't really think I can stand out amongst that forest.

Kite
11-03-2012, 02:55 AM
This might not exactly be on topic, but I'd like to shine some light on an option that may help some people who live in the USA. This is more geared towards people without many marketable skills or experience.

I am currently enrolled in JobCorps, which is a government run facility which purpose is to provide underprivileged youth (ages 16-24) with FREE education, job skills training, social skills, resume building, and interview preparation workshops, among other things. There are centers all over the country, and they provide free transportation to the center for accepted applicants, meals, and a dorm to live in (unless you live close enough to a center in which case you can opt to drive there every weekday to avoid living on center). They train people in various trades such as carpentry, welding, painting, plastering, security, nurses aid, computer services, business & finance, and accounting, just to name a few. Each center offers different trades in which students can enroll in. In each trade you will gain work experience and get various opportunities to build your contacts, references, history, and education.

JobCorps does have several downsides to it though; living on center can be quite stressful, as you are dealing with a wide variety of people from different age groups and backgrounds 24/7. The rules can be very strict, perhaps too much so for those not used to a structured environment. The drop out rate is quite high, however if you see it through, it can be a great boost in your future.

I don't mean to sound preachy, or like a JobCorps advocate, it's just that a fellow furry friend of mine told me about JobCorps while I was in a very bad spot. Like many of you, I had no job leads. Coming here has been a blessing in disguise, it is very challenging as it will test you over and over again, but because of that I have a level of confidence that I have never had before. I have gained far more experience and education than I would have expected from coming here. Which in turn, will help lead to finding a job, maybe even a career.

I just wanted to pass on the tip as I don't think the JobCorps program is very widely known, and even if this only has the chance of helping one person slightly I believe it would be worth it. If anyone has any questions about JobCorps from a current JC student I'd be happy to help as much as I can.

Hopes this doesn't break any forum violations...

AtomiKamikaze
11-03-2012, 04:37 PM
This might not exactly be on topic, but I'd like to shine some light on an option that may help some people who live in the USA. This is more geared towards people without many marketable skills or experience.

I am currently enrolled in JobCorps, which is a government run facility which purpose is to provide underprivileged youth (ages 16-24) with FREE education, job skills training, social skills, resume building, and interview preparation workshops, among other things. There are centers all over the country, and they provide free transportation to the center for accepted applicants, meals, and a dorm to live in (unless you live close enough to a center in which case you can opt to drive there every weekday to avoid living on center). They train people in various trades such as carpentry, welding, painting, plastering, security, nurses aid, computer services, business & finance, and accounting, just to name a few. Each center offers different trades in which students can enroll in. In each trade you will gain work experience and get various opportunities to build your contacts, references, history, and education.

JobCorps does have several downsides to it though; living on center can be quite stressful, as you are dealing with a wide variety of people from different age groups and backgrounds 24/7. The rules can be very strict, perhaps too much so for those not used to a structured environment. The drop out rate is quite high, however if you see it through, it can be a great boost in your future.

I don't mean to sound preachy, or like a JobCorps advocate, it's just that a fellow furry friend of mine told me about JobCorps while I was in a very bad spot. Like many of you, I had no job leads. Coming here has been a blessing in disguise, it is very challenging as it will test you over and over again, but because of that I have a level of confidence that I have never had before. I have gained far more experience and education than I would have expected from coming here. Which in turn, will help lead to finding a job, maybe even a career.

I just wanted to pass on the tip as I don't think the JobCorps program is very widely known, and even if this only has the chance of helping one person slightly I believe it would be worth it. If anyone has any questions about JobCorps from a current JC student I'd be happy to help as much as I can.

Hopes this doesn't break any forum violations...

Man, thank you SO much. One of my besties is insanely suicidal and keeps saying "I can't find a job D: ", (and she gives up kind of quick so not much charisma there) so this is a great hope to her!

Kite
11-03-2012, 08:16 PM
No problem! Let me know if either of you have any questions or anything, I'd be happy to help. Knowledge is power or something like that. ;)

Kodyack
11-20-2012, 02:07 AM
I've been looking for a job for a couple years now. Had an interview last week though so I hope that went well. Though I'm getting rather annoyed at the increase of psyc tests that they keep throwing in applications. Dear person who created the question "Its Maddening When The Courts Let Guilty Criminals Go Free" Go die in a hole.

IntricateVision
11-26-2012, 04:20 AM
I used to be leader in a program that helped high school kids get into college and get jobs. I got people more work than I've ever been able to get myself XD I've been kinda not doing anything but commissions while I go to school though.
My bf is looking for work though and I literally help fill those out because JEEZ 40 minuets sometimes for ONE online application.
I miss the good old days of pen and paper and I could hand it to a manager and introduce myself x'c

Kodyack
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Those were good times.

StupidFace
02-22-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm currently looking for jobs, but I'm hoping to go into college soon, hopefully media studies or carpentry.

Aakosir
02-22-2013, 07:46 PM

This sounds almost exactly how my past two month have been. I have applied to countless jobs, about 30, and have wasted about 6 or so hours on those stupid "assessments". My mom and cousin have been turned down for jobs because they are "too qualified". Wouldn't you want someone like that? That would be very good for your business, to actually have someone who is intelligent and knows what they are talking about... Instead of some teen who stands there texting the entire time they are supposed to be working. As for me... I'm pretty sure the main reason I am being turned down is because I'm asking for too much. I was making 9.25 at my last job and am asking to start around 9...

Guess I should lower my value so I have a better chance of getting hired...

Ibuuyk, I hear it is very hard to move to Canada. Is this true? I really want out of the U.S.... It's going to hell very fast.

Sparky15756
02-22-2013, 10:09 PM
I've been looking for a job since the end of summer, but no luck. x.x

Marsonaut
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
I am currently looking at a temp agency. I've lost patience with the online forums, and walk ins haven't brought in any results either. Meantime, its bunker/zero consumer mode. Even if you think you don't need a job, you should still get one. Its not good to let your work ethic decline, you have to do something.

Shiko
03-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Well in my daily year I do job hunting like its my lifeline until I find a Job. Usually it I do about 5-10 apps a week. Of course this took me a little over a year to find a Job. Michigan isn't exactly the easiest place to find a job right now. I actually just started working feb. 27th so I'm super excited my job searching finally paid off. :) In the end though it's not about how many applications you put out, but if you put in the effort to call them back and reference yourself ^_^

Colooring1977
05-25-2013, 06:00 AM
All the best....

KumatoraKazooie
05-25-2013, 12:07 PM
My job hunting is on hold right now until I move to Utah with my folks. All of the current jobs available to me are too far away and require me to drive up and down the mountain I live on every day.

Brother Orin
05-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Having a hard time finding a job here in Reno, I've been getting real tired of being passed around from one temp job to another, so I've been trying to find something to do with my artwork to go along with my commissions. Commissions are fine, but with a lack number of clients, it doesn't exactly pay the bills... at least not right now

So I've been improving my work and designs to get out of the vicious temp circle.

Aakosir
06-02-2013, 10:58 AM
It took me four months to find a job... And I went back to the fast food place I worked at 3 years ago.......... I lost count of how many applications I sent out. It had to be close to 30

SueStone2013
06-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Do enjoy doing social works? If so, then you're very lucky to do a job that you enjoy and get a high pay. Love your job!

Damian
06-12-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm back on the job market thing. I'm just not getting the hours I need so it's time to move on. It's a shame because I REALLY LOVE my current job.